Sequels Shailene Woodley COULD BE Mary Jane Watson.....in TASM3 - Part 4

How can she possibly save the franchise? What's she gonna do? Magically make everything better that the fans will love and adore?

She can't save anything. Only the writers can.

"I'm going to see the new Spider-Man!"
"I thought you hated Marvel property? "
"I do! But it has that chick from that movie where she has cancer, Shailene Woodley!"
"THE Shailene Woodley? Well why didn't you say?! I'll grab my coat and we'll go together!"
"We're off to see the Woodley! The wonderful amazing Woodley! Because, because, because, because, because of all the wonderful things she does!!!"

Doubt it :whatever:

Last edited:
How can she possibly save the franchise? What's she gonna do? Magically make everything better that the fans will love and adore?

"I do! But it has that chick from that movie where she has cancer, Shailene Woodley!"
"THE Shailene Woodley? Well why didn't you say?! I'll grab my coat and we'll go together!"
"We're off to see the Woodley! The wonderful amazing Woodley! Because, because, because, because, because of all the wonderful things she does!!!"

:pal::applaud:bow::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I chortled

Oh I wish this could fit in my signature :up::)

I think J-Law could get some more people to come, if we're being serious with star pulling power, but no single actress/actor could save a franchise by themselves!

Dwayne Johnson saves franchises all the time. GI Joe, Fast & Furious. Hopefully he's John Stewart like it's rumored and he saves Green Lantern.

Honestly, I'm hoping Woodley comes to WB and is Barbara Gordon. Maybe Batfleck's first film could be Killing Joke.

:up:

I can't be the only one who was singing the last line while reading this.

I mean... Obviously Shailene isn't going to "save" the movie, but having her in it won't hurt it anyhow. She's getting a nice little fan base.

Her fanbase is probably smaller than Stone's, and she didn't lift the film to any new heights, she was very good, but I don't think she saved the franchise or anything.

Woodley doesn't have as much pulling power as stone even, if you're going for pulling power, your MJ has to have an actress who's bigger than Emma Stone.

I can only think of Lawrence.

Mary-Jane or whoever is cast as her, cannot save the movie. Only Webb and his team can.
Putting Shailene in would "PROBABLY" get the odd fanyboy, girl and gay fans in the seats after her heartbreaking role in TFIOS...but even then, it won't do much good if TASM3 hits the same marks or less after its predecessor.

Dwayne Johnson saves franchises all the time. GI Joe, Fast & Furious. Hopefully he's John Stewart like it's rumored and he saves Green Lantern.

Honestly, I'm hoping Woodley comes to WB and is Barbara Gordon. Maybe Batfleck's first film could be Killing Joke.
Vin Diesel saved Fast. Not The Rock.

I can only think of Lawrence.

Mary-Jane or whoever is cast as her, cannot save the movie. Only Webb and his team can.
Putting Shailene in would "PROBABLY" get the odd fanyboy, girl and gay fans in the seats after her heartbreaking role in TFIOS...but even then, it won't do much good if TASM3 hits the same marks or less after its predecessor.

Yep, if you look back at the X-men forums, there was talk of Lawrence fans there that didn't even know what X-men were. Obviously, she wouldn't go near the franchise at the moment, but if, for some insane reason, she did go after it, I could see it as a legitimate catalyst that, paired with other factors, could go a long way in "saving" the franchise.

Lawrence would make a pretty good MJ, so would stone!

Her fanbase is probably smaller than Stone's, and she didn't lift the film to any new heights, she was very good, but I don't think she saved the franchise or anything.

Woodley doesn't have as much pulling power as stone even, if you're going for pulling power, your MJ has to have an actress who's bigger than Emma Stone.

Unless they cast JLaw or Taylor Swift, they're simply not going to find a 20-something year old with a significantly larger fan base than Stone. The best they can hope for is a rising star like Woodley, Robbie, etc. but even then it's a shot in the dark. In the next couple of years, Woodley may eclipse Emma Stone's popularity, she may fade away into obscurity, or she may become widely unpopular like Gwyneth Paltrow.

"Pulling power" shouldn't be the primary focus. They don't need a big name actress to play MJ. They should focus first and foremost on crafting a solid story and getting the characters right, and everything else will fall into place. I still think that they should hold auditions for the role (like they did for Peter, Gwen, and Harry) instead of banking on one actress from day one.

I mean... Obviously Shailene isn't going to "save" the movie, but having her in it won't hurt it anyhow. She's getting a nice little fan base.
I can see why they tried to get her into the last movie, I mean, when she was first announced I had never even heard of the girl, but, now shes everywhere

so, had they at least gave her a cameo, introducing her into the movies, before she really got popular.... but, now it would almost seem like they just trying to use her popularity

that's the key, in casting, to find someone who is right on a verge of popularity

now it's almost like she too popular

Last edited:
Unless they cast JLaw or Taylor Swift, they're simply not going to find a 20-something year old with a significantly larger fan base than Stone. The best they can hope for is a rising star like Woodley, Robbie, etc. but even then it's a shot in the dark. In the next couple of years, Woodley may eclipse Emma Stone's popularity, she may fade away into obscurity, or she may become widely unpopular like Gwyneth Paltrow.

"Pulling power" shouldn't be the primary focus. They don't need a big name actress to play MJ. They should focus first and foremost on crafting a solid story and getting the characters right, and everything else will fall into place. I still think that they should hold auditions for the role (like they did for Peter, Gwen, and Harry) instead of banking on one actress from day one.

Didn't say it should be either...

Agree with everything else, there's plenty of actors out there who would make a great MJ, and auditions should help find someone who really stands out.

A really good performance from anyone who plays MJ is essential for the next film, MJ can't feel like a downgrade from Gwen.

IT girl casting needs to be avoided at all costs. So many female comic book roles have been miscast with this mentality and it's probably what got them into this situation with Shai in the first place.

A popular actress of the moment.

Last time I checked Shailene Woodley is a well respected young actress who was cast before she had two hit films and Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence was hired to be in X-Men after appearing in a film that made 6 million dollars. I haven't seen all this "it girl" casting people are talking about. I've seen casting of well respected young actresses. The same goes for Emma Stone when she was cast in The Amazing Spider-Man. We aren't talking about Megan Fox and Jessica Alba levels here.

You haven't seen it because it hasn't happened yet. That's why all of this talk about casting an actress based on her popularity or notoriety to "save" the franchise is misguided. They need to cast the actress who's most qualified to play Mary Jane. If they get that right, the rest will fall into place.

You haven't seen it because it hasn't happened yet. That's why all of this talk about casting an actress based on her popularity or notoriety to "save" the franchise is misguided. They need to cast the actress who's most qualified to play Mary Jane. If they get that right, the rest will fall into place.
Realistically no actress is going to "save" the franchise but don't tell movie studios that kind of thing.

I'm okay if Woodley stays or goes. I don't think she wants to come back anyhow but they do have her under contract I'm sure.

I like Shai a lot as well. She's very talented. No idea what her MJ would have been like but I just want the right girl for the job, whomever that may be.

She's definitely under contract, so the ball is in the studio's court as to what they do.

Bingo. I'm less worried about the actress and more concerned with getting the character of MJ right. I'd like to see a proper adaptation of 616 MJ.

I'm actually more worried about the casting than the writing. They can write the perfect Mary Jane on paper but if the casting is off, it's game over. Getting the casting right is extremely crucial.

Emma Stone is perfect example. She was phenomenal as Gwen but that had nothing to do with the writing, it had to do with having an actress like Emma in the role, who just oozes charisma and charm and was able to make the audience fall in love with her.

I don't want to downplay the writing. It's important as well but not nearly as the casting.

Not really. I mean look at Michael Keaton as Batman. He was completely off as far as casting as Batman and yet he became the Batman and proved everyone wrong.

As long as you got a good actor or actress who could resemble or possible fit the character he or she is playing along with them having good acting, it could work with any casting.

Shailene Woodley can pull off a MJ in terms of acting. She may not 100% resemble her but she is around MJ's age and is a good actress. Have a strong screenwriter for TASM2 and she will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"