Shane Black's "Doc Savage"

Terrible choice.

Hemsworth can't act at all.

jCqr4xt.gif

I like Hemsworth, but at this point, casting him in movies like this is starting to feel lazy.

Studio Exec #1: We need a tall, muscular blond guy! What's Chris Hemsworth doing?

Studio Exec #2: Booked solid, playing tall, muscular blond guys in Avengers 2, Snow White 2, Thor 3 and possibly that remake of The Raid.

Studio Exec #1: Damn. How about his brother?

Studio Exec #2: Loki?

Studio Exec #1: No, no... the guy from the Hunger Games.

Studio Exec #2: Josh Hutcherson?

Studio Exec #1: No, no... the one who was in Paranoia.

Studio Exec #2: There was a movie called Paranoia?

Studio Exec #1: He was also in that second Expendables movie. I think his name is Neeson or something.

Studio Exec #2: Oh, right. I think he's free. I'll give him a call.

LOL, true. Kind of a dirty blond there though. Either way... he was pretty much just Thor with a Scottish(?) accent in that movie.

That said, I do like him as an actor. For example, say he was in that Jupiter Ascending movie instead of Channing Tatum... I would probably be more interested in seeing it.

I didn't think he was playing Thor in that film. I really like Chris Hemsworth as a movie star and actor. I get a good laugh when jealous fanboys say that he can't act. It's some oddball idea that if a guy is tall and really good looking then he can't act.

Oh, he can definitely act. I just feel like his Huntsman character was pretty close to his Thor character. But I thought he was awesome in Rush and I hope he takes on more roles like that that show his range more.

I haven't seen Rush yet but I read good things about the film and his performance.

What's the difference between him and Tatum from a technical standpoint? I didn't think he was a massively good actor until I actually saw Rush and Thor.

Yeah. Tatum has been in some pretty solid films. He was excellent in Soderbergh's films like Magic Mike, Side Effects, and Haywire. He's proven to have great range in comedic roles like the Jump Street series. Also, his role in Foxcatcher looks fantastic.

Technically speaking, Hemsworth and Tatum seem to be the same type. I just find Hemsworth to be a bit more intense in his roles, like in Thor, but that's also attributed to how the character was written.

Hemsworth has a natural, easy charisma to him. Tatum, like Colin Farrell, is only good when he's playing a dope. Oh, but what a dope!

Tatum has absolutely exploded! His next film is with the Coen brothers and he was touted to be Oscar nom worthy in Foxcatcher this year in Canes. Plus he has opened films on his own name now.

Tatum has absolutely turned it around. He isn't just seen as a set of abs anymore, he's seen as a good actor and even a leading man.

Hemsworth hasn't done badly either. Two consecutive lead roles in Ron Howard projects and another one in a Michael Mann movie. Plus he was cast as the lead in Steven Spilberg's sci-fi film before it got shelved.

Hemsworth is in no way perceived to be a bad actor or all these great directors wouldn't be giving him lead roles.

I think as far as movie stars go, he's one of the most credible choices around. As handsome as you please, as many muscles as you want, taller than most, good-natured and charming and laidback. That's a movie star right there.

I easily see him as a Hollywood A list leading man.

He's kinda the ideal and default choices for projects like these or John Carter or an Indian Jones reboot if it happens or such.

That's Liam Hemsworth in the Mann film. Not Chris.

Edit: You're right. They look the same haha:doh:

Last edited:
Tatum is doing great right now and obviously is seen as a serious leading man.

I mean the first thing I saw Hemsworth in was the quickie role in Star Trek, and was like, "oh, he can do a passable accent." Saw some of his soap opera stuff online and was like, "ok, he's a soap actor." :oldrazz:

Hemsworth was perfect in the Thor movies, was also great in Rush, and was good in his small roles in Perfect Getaway and Star Trek. The guy has not only shown he has charisma to spare, but he's also proven that he has range. Colin Farrell has dramatic range and great comedic chops, but he doesn't have that leading man charisma, unfortunately. He does have talent, though. I don't know how anyone could watch Tigerland, The Way Back and In Bruges, and not think so.

Tatum only works in comedy, imo. I've pretty much hated him in every non-comedic role except Magic Mike, but that wasn't exactly a challenging role for him either. And when I say I've hated him in other movies, I mean HATED - as in, every other line delivery has made me cringe. Neither of the other two actors being discussed have had that effect on me, even when they weren't at their best.

Yeah, I think Farrel is a really talented actor... he just doesn't have that leading man appeal I guess. Which is odd because he's a good looking dude with a lot of screen presence (at least in the right movie). I think audiences just soured on him because he got so overexposed early in his career.

Hemsworth was perfect in the Thor movies, was also great in Rush, and was good in his small roles in Perfect Getaway and Star Trek. The guy has not only shown he has charisma to spare, but he's also proven that he has range. Colin Farrell has dramatic range and great comedic chops, but he doesn't have that leading man charisma, unfortunately. He does have talent, though. I don't know how anyone could watch Tigerland, The Way Back and In Bruges, and not think so.

Tatum only works in comedy, imo. I've pretty much hated him in every non-comedic role except Magic Mike, but that wasn't exactly a challenging role for him either. And when I say I've hated him in other movies, I mean HATED - as in, every other line delivery has made me cringe. Neither of the other two actors being discussed have had that effect on me, even when they weren't at their best.
I agree Farrell is very very limited. He will never be an A list leading man. He doesn't have what it takes.

Regarding Tatum's dramatic ability, well he's done his more serious role in Foxcatcher which is surely put him in the conversation for Oscar nominations. He was very very acclaimed in Cannes, so that will play out in the US awards season at the end of the year too.

AICN:
Shane Black to bring Remo Williams back to the big screen in THE DESTROYER!
Papa Vinyard said:
Sony has a script by FIGHT CLUB screenwriter Jim Uhls and Warren Murphy, who co-wrote a bunch of the original novels with Murphy and Sarpir. The studio appears to be the one who convinced Black to put DOC SAVAGE on hold for this, and they apparently "feel he has an ideal take" for the character that took precedent over his long-in-development passion project. Also, no word if this is going to put the Black & Dekker PREDATOR movie on the backburner, but it's possible the director will do this first, maybe as a for-hire lead-up (seeing as its already written), before digging into PREDATOR feet first.

If he can pull off blonde/gold hair I think Daniel Cudmore {Colossus from the X-Men films} would make the perfect Doc Savage.

There's the little matter of being a good actor...

There's a little matter of there actually being news, thus necessitating the bumping of this thread. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"