Shang Chi's fighting style

Dark Raven

It's not about what you deserve...
Reaction score
What kind of fighting style should Shang Chi have?

Should he mostly stick to one style like these classic martial arts films, and then maybe only switch if one is not working?

Or should he mix it up like Bruce Lee did with Jeet Kune Do where in any one fight scene it could be a mixture of different styles, taking whatever worked and leaving out what didn't?

Also what kind of weapons would you like him to use? Just anything he finds around, or should he carry specific weapons?

If he does use a nunchaku, I hope it is a longer scene more like Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon or Game of Death. The nunchaku scene in Enter the Dragon is way too short and definitely the shortest of all his nunchaku scenes.

I wouldn't want to see him using stuff like Krav Maga and military unarmed combat. Something more classical, along the lines of Jet Li would be good, I think.

Can anyone recommend a good run or issue series of Shang Chi I could read to learn more about the character. I know nothing about the Eternals or Shang Chi and would love to find out more about them

I wouldn't want to see him using stuff like Krav Maga and military unarmed combat. Something more classical, along the lines of Jet Li would be good, I think.

Yeah, Krav Maga would look a bit odd on him. Although if he has the same philosophy as Bruce Lee, I could see him taking bits of it that work. After all, you don't want Shang Chi coming up against someone who does Krav Maga and not being able to hold his own against them.

So he could generally use something more classical, but could easily switch and adapt if someone uses Krav Maga against him.

Nunchaku for sure. I’d like to see variety on the weapons and martial arts used, even if it’s centrally based on one style.

I want this film to take a page out of the Game of Death. That had Bruce Lee fighting his way through different levels of a pagoda with different enemies on each level who knew different fighting styles.

Bruce had to adjust his fighting style to counter each one of them. It was a showcase for Jeet Kune Do and demonstrating why being stuck in one rigid style was not beneficial at all.

I would love to see a mixture of Jet Li type style mixed in with Keysi martial art

He should use various styles of Kung Fu and derived martial arts. Wing Chun is probably a good one to favor. He should very much lean away from any of the more modern, "western" martial arts styles, since he's not supposed to be a MMA champ or black ops commando. He's the Master Of Kung Fu. He should look like he escaped from a wuxia fantasy movie set in Mythic China.

I want this film to take a page out of the Game of Death. That had Bruce Lee fighting his way through different levels of a pagoda with different enemies on each level who knew different fighting styles.

Bruce had to adjust his fighting style to counter each one of them. It was a showcase for Jeet Kune Do and demonstrating why being stuck in one rigid style was not beneficial at all.

If that is the case, then I want one floor to be entirely made up of clones of Donald Gibb.

Should Shang Chi only become the Master of Kung Fu at the end of the movie rather than right from the start?

I think he should know some styles at the beginning, but then he gets beaten and has to learn some other styles. Maybe he's even too rigid in his style and has to become more adaptable, perhaps developing a style more akin to Jeet Kune Do at the end where he's combining lots of different martial arts.

Even in films like Drunken Master, it was only at the end that Jackie Chan had learnt that style in order to beat Thunderfoot. Before that, his previous skills still couldn't beat him.

If Shang Chi is fully developed right from the start, then there isn't much place for him to go.

And I also think he should still be beatable. Even in various films with the name "Master" in it, Jackie Chan still was beatable and took a beating from his opponent, but won out by sheer determination and unwillingness to give up. He wasn't a complete master to the point of being untouchable or no longer being the underdog.

On another note, I'd like Shang Chi to use a three-sectional staff like Jackie Chan uses in New Fist of Fury:

This is a really early film of his so doesn't contain any of the comedy elements that later became his trademark.

being a master by the end of the film/journey is just fine as well yeah

he definitely shouldn't be a complete lvl 1 rookie in the beginning however :oldrazz:

Here's my Shang Chi joke that killed on Tuesday:

"For the first time ever, a Canadian actor is headlining an MCU movie. Toronto's Simu Liu is going to be Shang Chi, the Master of Kung Fu. Unfortunately, because he's Canadian, his only kung fu fighting move is pulling the other guy's jersey over his head and swinging on him with one fist. Not sure how that plays out over a two-hour movie."

Here's my Shang Chi joke that killed on Tuesday:

"For the first time ever, a Canadian actor is headlining an MCU movie. Toronto's Simu Liu is going to be Shang Chi, the Master of Kung Fu. Unfortunately, because he's Canadian, his only kung fu fighting move is pulling the other guy's jersey over his head and swinging on him with one fist. Not sure how that plays out over a two-hour movie."

True story... My martial arts school hosted Shooto champion Eric Paulson for a seminar. Eric was not only a world class grappler but he was also a student of Guro Dan Inosanto in JKD and Filipino martial arts.

One of the moves he taught for a street fight to us?

Pulling the shirt over the other guy's head and wailing on him with the right cross, AKA the "hockey punch" move.

No joke.

True story... My martial arts school hosted Shooto champion Eric Paulson for a seminar. Eric was not only a world class grappler but he was also a student of Guro Dan Inosanto in JKD and Filipino martial arts.

One of the moves he taught for a street fight to us?

Pulling the shirt over the other guy's head and wailing on him with the right cross, AKA the "hockey punch" move.

No joke.

Canada's never lost a war, and now you know why.

What kind of fighting style should Shang Chi have?

Should he mostly stick to one style like these classic martial arts films, and then maybe only switch if one is not working?

Or should he mix it up like Bruce Lee did with Jeet Kune Do where in any one fight scene it could be a mixture of different styles, taking whatever worked and leaving out what didn't?

Also what kind of weapons would you like him to use? Just anything he finds around, or should he carry specific weapons?

If he does use a nunchaku, I hope it is a longer scene more like Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon or Game of Death. The nunchaku scene in Enter the Dragon is way too short and definitely the shortest of all his nunchaku scenes.
Of course if the actor and stunt players are up to the task he should have an amalgamation of styles. However thanks to MMA it is a challenge to meet audience expectations that Bruce Lee did not face in his career. In effect Bruce Lee only had to throw something at you that Muhammad Ali wouldn't and now modern audience go in with a sense that we "know" that really wouldn't work.

However all the grappling from MMA doesn't work cinematically. So I think anything could be a weapon, Jason Bourne as opposed to a comedic Jackie Chan style along with the flashier attacking styles. Just stay away from the wire fu.

Nah it wouldn’t, Canada would say “please stop doing that” and Australia would talk a big game but then s**t it’s pants in public lol

Should Shang Chi only become the Master of Kung Fu at the end of the movie rather than right from the start?

This is a video from a channel that Simu Liu used to make guest appearances in and is friends with, and at 2:19 one of the hosts lets it out that in the script Shang-Chi "doesn't know he's badass in the beginning and gets his way there and finds out".

So they will probably have him be the Master of Kung Fu at the end, but I wonder what this means story-wise (likely the revelation that the Mandarin is the father is one element).

Last edited:

This is a video from a channel that Simu Liu used to make guest appearances in and is friends with, and at 2:19 one of the hosts lets it out that in the script Shang-Chi "doesn't know he's badass in the beginning and gets his way there and finds out".

So they will probably have him be the Master of Kung Fu at the end, but I wonder what this means story-wise (likely the revelation that the Mandarin is the father is one element).

Well it doesn't have to automatically mean that he can't fight at all. After all, even if he only learned to fight at the end, could he really be said to be a master of it? I don't know if they have belts or dans in Kung Fu, but certainly in something like Karate, if someone were a brown belt, they'd still be relatively high up, but wouldn't quite be a master yet. Even if they were a black belt, they wouldn't be a master compared to someone of a much higher dan.

In Drunken Master, Jackie Chan can fight at the start and is pretty good, but against someone else much better like Thunderfoot he can still be beaten. He only learns the Eight drunk gods at the end, and only masters 7 of them because he thinks one of them is too feminine.

I could see it being he was raised and trained separate from the rest of society. He's lived in a world perhaps where he's surrounded by people with all kinds of martial arts sad black ops/ criminal skills. To him that's just normal. The story forces him out into the wider world and he comes to realize how formidable he is compared to the average person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"