Shazam Shazam! Box Office Thread | Early Predictions

I'm lot more confident in saying that Shazam will end it's run close to $365 M. Which is great considering it's low budget of $98 M. (3.72 multiplier)

I read somewhere that Initially, Shazam was given $80 M budget, then it was given additional $18 M for reshoots, so it's budget became ($80 + $18) M = $98 M. (But Box Office Mojo lists it at $100 M, which I think is a bit inaccurate)

So we trust u based on what u read hear and there never mind u have noto revealed a single checkable source-- and we should ignore the company who's sole business is box office receipts...

I did say that I read it somewhere, (see the link for article in Variety), and I was giving my estimate on where the final total may end up.

‘Shazam!’ Proves the Power of Mid-Budget Superhero Movies
DC Comics welcomed another hit with “Shazam!” Warner Bros. and New Line’s latest comic-book adventure powered box office charts, debuting with $53 million in North America and $102 million overseas.

For many films in superhero space, that start could spell trouble. But for “Shazam!,” its $98 million price tag makes it a win. The DC hero was able to pull off a solid opening weekend ticket sales while spending nearly half of what studios typically spend to produce comic-book fare.

Also, in case anyone thinks that the Variety article is giving shazam's budget before reshoots happened, it's not. Reshoots were done between November 6th - 20th 2018.(see Instagram link given in tweet)

The Variety article date is 8 th April 2019. So it takes into account the original budget plus the budget given for reshoots. You can find more sources to confirm the same thing. I don't have time for this.. have a good day !

Last edited:
The Mummy relied much more on China, and overseas in general too. Going by the rule of thumb alone, the studio got around 158 million. That obviously doesn't cover the budget + marketing to begin with. And the budget was reported by some sources as high as 195 million.

BUT EVEN THEN, Scott Mendelson talked like the movie was seemingly profitable

Box Office: Why $400 Million Wasn't Enough For Tom Cruise's 'The Mummy'

But it wasn't enough to launch a cinematic universe specially because people didn't like it so they scrapped their plans.

However, Deadline was reporting that the total cost was 345 million (budget was reported by them as 195 million). But that was right when the movie opened, and they were predicting it would end at 375 million.

‘The Mummy’: Tom Cruise Movie Flop Will Lose $95M: Box Office – Deadline

"After consulting a number of film finance sources, Universal’s Tom Cruise movie stands to lose an estimated $95M off of a final estimated global box office tally of $375M. That’s $75M at the domestic B.O., and $300M from overseas.

This despite the fact that the movie was the biggest global opening ever for Cruise at $169.3M. However, relative to the production investment here, which we are informed is estimated at $345M in total production and global P&A spend (broken out $195M production cost and $150M distribution/ad expenses), those records — and even this weekend’s No. 1 overseas hold of $53M — are not enough to get Mummy over these hurdles."

Last edited:
Final day of Super Golden Week in Japan, per corpse:

¥x20,000,000 ($180,000), -53%, ¥680,000,000 ($6.0 million), Shazam! (Warner Bros.) Day 18

Figures are estimates, should have actuals in a couple days. But Shazam went into the eight-day holiday at about 3.5 (after 10 days in release) so it nearly doubled over the stretch. That puts it in great position to hit the 6.5-7 number you’d expect from its OW. Which considering the massive competition from Detective Conan, Endgame, and now Detective Pikachu is notable, imo.

Despite what people say, Shazam has done reasonably well in Overseas market, considering the competition and it's overall kiddy humor. I feel it could have done better at US box Office but then we all know one day before the movie opened, online Ticket sales for Endgame started and nobody was thinking about Shazam then.

Monday estimate:

$205,000 -73% 2,521 $135,453,748

ETA actual:

$195,095 -74% 2,521 $135,443,843

ETA Tuesday estimate:

$300,000 +54% 2,521 $135,743,843

ETA actual:

$294,392 +51% 2,521 $135,738,235

Last edited:
Shazam has done pretty well for a character that a lot of people have never heard of.

360m-ish total is a lot lower than most all expected, but the movie received critical acclaim, and did well enough to get a sequel. That's a win for DC, not a homerun, but a win regardless.

As long as they keep the budget and quality roughly the same for the sequel, this is gonna end up being a healthy franchise going forward. Oh and next time, pick a better release date.

Plus, this is going to make a mint from home release sales.

Depends what's decided as a mint. Ant-Man sold over 3.1M units according to the numbers, which is similar to what JL made.

Wednesday estimate:

$210,000 -29% 2,521 $135,948,235

Actuals:

$207,403 -30% 2,521 $82 $135,945,638

Last edited:
360m-ish total is a lot lower than most all expected, but the movie received critical acclaim, and did well enough to get a sequel. That's a win for DC, not a homerun, but a win regardless.

As long as they keep the budget and quality roughly the same for the sequel, this is gonna end up being a healthy franchise going forward. Oh and next time, pick a better release date.

Randomly waltzed into this thread to gauge the reaction to the box office cume. I'm a little unsure how you arrived at "did well enough to get a sequel". I feel like that's the lowest BO total I've seen for a superhero tentpole in a long time.

Randomly waltzed into this thread to gauge the reaction to the box office cume. I'm a little unsure how you arrived at "did well enough to get a sequel". I feel like that's the lowest BO total I've seen for a superhero tentpole in a long time.

keyword: Budget!

Like @Micromind has said 10000X times, this film faced Endgame, tickets for Shazam! came one day before Shazam release, was sandwiched between the monster or CM and EG, some ppl in this forum already said this wasnt promoted in some countries, its a New Line Cinema film which means its not a Disney/WB/Universal film /big main studio) and YET, it made 3 times its budget

I think its already know by now that actors signed for 5 films, so i guess they treating this like a New Line Cinema universe, just like they did with the Conjuring verse, it'll grow eventually, the budget will remain low and in long term with toys, merch and dvds it's gonna be a win win for New Line Cinema and WB, of course thats only my humble opinion, if yall want it to call it a flop and laugh or be bitter about it it's all up to you

I think we have 2 schools of thought here.

1. A low cost movie that still made a profit surrounded by bigger tent pole movies.

2. One of the lowest grossing mainstream comic book movies in the past 7 years.

I think both are correct.

WB/DC literally greenlit the sequel. It literally did well enough to get a sequel. Literally.

Shazam lost about 1,500 theaters now. Hard to make any money like that. 600 theaters less than Captain Marvel now. Although it won't make difference by now, this sucks. It probably had to do with Marvel still dominating showings and WB having to clear up some rooms for Pikachu.
Still seeing a drop of about 50-54%.

Last edited:
Low risk strategy. Play safe with the budget and try to catch lightning (pun intended) in a bottle. If it works you look like a genius, if it doesn't you don't lose your shirt. WOM was solid and something that they can build on over the next few years.

It's not a boxoffice hit by any sense of the imagination. The thing is, it didn't need to be to get a sequel. They kept the budget and marketing low (140-150m total), and squeezed out a small profit (10-20m). Coupled with the good reviews and DC's desperation for quality acceptance, it "did well enough to get a sequel".

I dont think this movie was a flop but if people are relying on word of mouth for the sequel to do better, that I don't understand. What word of mouth? yes it did pretty good with critics but audiences clearly did not embrace this film. The horrible release date has something to do with it but we do have to acknowledge that perhaps the character itself just didn't click with people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"