Civil War She'll put a hex on you! The official Scarlet Witch thread - Part 1

I still don't get how Steve/Sharon is 'creepy' but this is totally cool
that art of them making out makes me very uncomfortable for some reason lol

Steve & Sharon is creepy because Peggy just died & they're from the same bloodline. Almost like Steve said "well, since I can't have Peggy, I'll at least get somebody from her family."

While I initially didn't care much for Wanda/Vision, it's much more suitable a relationship than Steve & Sharon, imo.

I really don't see what's so creepy about Wanda/Vision at all really. They're dynamic was actually, cute and endearing to me.

And the idea that Vision was off his game due to his being primarily concerned about making sure Wanda was ok, thus leading to accidentally crippling Rhodey, is beautifully tragic I thought.

It annoyed me that these two characters bonded because Vision was basically her jailor.

Yeah that part felt misogynistic but the MCU has a problem with that that I hope to be remedied with CM.

I really don't see what's so creepy about Wanda/Vision at all really. They're dynamic was actually, cute and endearing to me.

And the idea that Vision was off his game due to his being primarily concerned about making sure Wanda was ok, thus leading to accidentally crippling Rhodey, is beautifully tragic I thought.

He's not human; thats whats creepy. Her falling in love with a robot/android was creepy in the books and comes across in live action

Well, at least Wanda and Vision were written so much better. There was no rushed kissing out of nowhere, and it's Vision, who seems like falling in love with Wanda, not the other way around. They've known each other for a year, she calls him "Vis", he takes care of her, cooks for her and evidently have feelings for her, while Steve, as Evans said "just wants to get kissed" with Peggy's relative, and used Sharon for his purposes, made her risk her job, without any actual doings for her. Wanda/Vision dialog is also much more romantic: "I want people to see you as I do", "No one dislikes you, Wanda.", "Wanda, I think you hurt Vision's feelings." It's sweet and innocent, about feelings, not sexual tension.

Last edited:
Wanda and Visions relationship is very boring IMO.

I've seen enough anime/cartoons, sci-fi, read enough genre-related books, or comics, etc that, Vision being not human doesn't bother me at all in this regard, whatsoever.

And they were bonding BEFORE he was keeping her there. That just did what it should have done, cause problems.

Yeah that part felt misogynistic but the MCU has a problem with that that I hope to be remedied with CM.

I wouldn't say it was misogynistic. Not like Black Widow could've kept her where she was and there aren't really any other female characters that could've done the job either.

I definitely don't think Marvel intended misogyny with that so much as they wanted to find the easiest way possible to get the characters alone together to start some sort of bonding.

Thats my point. It was a dumb way to do such a thing. It undermines what they are trying to set up (true love) by making him one of her oppressors not to mention holding her against her will. Stockholm syndrome isn't usually the makings of a lasting relationship. :whatever:

Do you genuinely find that the most optimal place and time to forge a bond in the story?

Also I agree with Loki as this is a scifi wprld we are dealing with that's based on a comic book. We need to have some suspension of disbelief as long as the story permits it the Stockholm love shack the tried to make happen wasn't the way but it doesn't mean that it can't work in general.

Last edited:
Steve & Sharon is creepy because Peggy just died & they're from the same bloodline. Almost like Steve said "well, since I can't have Peggy, I'll at least get somebody from her family."

While I initially didn't care much for Wanda/Vision, it's much more suitable a relationship than Steve & Sharon, imo.

Who cares? Urgh. I've dated women who've been sisters or each other's cousins. It's not a big deal in the slightest.

Steve tried to romance and clearly had a thing for Sharon prior to the events of TWS and in that movie he plucked up the courage to ask her out. By the time CW comes out, Steve and Sharon's relationship develops and yes, Peggy dies but so what? She was an old woman who had lived here life and had her own family. Some of you need to get a grip.

13450111_1731520723771666_769299131956450573_n.jpg

I have to say that I do quite like her movie costume. Pity then that she only wears it in one scene, two if you count that ten second bit at the end of AOU.

Maybe i misunderstood what happened in the movie, but Wanda wasn't really a threat to anyone. In Lagos, Wanda contained the bomb with her powers the best she could, raised it so it wasn't a ground threat, but wasn't strong enough to raise it high enough so there were still casualties in that building, correct?

I don't get how Tony or the Vision would think she's a threat to other people.

It annoyed me that these two characters bonded because Vision was basically her jailor.

For myself, it was this.

Additionally, Vision brings up him being powered by the mind stone, and her getting her powers from the mind stone, as a point of bonding.

So there's this powerful object that no one quite understands that influences people, to the degree of making people do things they don't want, and it is intrinsic to both. Hmmm.

For myself, it was this.

Additionally, Vision brings up him being powered by the mind stone, and her getting her powers from the mind stone, as a point of bonding.

So there's this powerful object that no one quite understands that influences people, to the degree of making people do things they don't want, and it is intrinsic to both. Hmmm.
That worked for me but it was still in the context of him not letting her leave the friggin building. Especially when later Vision critically wounds War Machine. Come on Tony, are you going to put Vision in jail?

Maybe i misunderstood what happened in the movie, but Wanda wasn't really a threat to anyone. In Lagos, Wanda contained the bomb with her powers the best she could, raised it so it wasn't a ground threat, but wasn't strong enough to raise it high enough so there were still casualties in that building, correct?

I don't get how Tony or the Vision would think she's a threat to other people.

The logic they had succumbed to was that the "threat" was that angry irrational people would decide to attack her, and she'd accidentally kill them defending herself.

To which my own attitude is "Too bad". If you decide to wrongfully and maliciously attack someone else, you *deserve* to get hurt or killed. If you are weak enough that this is the inevitable outcome, this just means you are stupid, too. Tony was duped and allowed himself to succumb to the Hostage Takers Fallacy.

How would Wanda kill them accidentally defending herself? The only reason people died in Lagos is because her telekinesis wasn't strong enough to contain a friggin bomb.

I suppose she could hit them harder than she actually intends? Or they might try to hose her down with machine guns, she puts up a shield, and a few of the bullets ricochet and hit someone? Or for real perversity, you could go all out and say "a mob sets fire to the building she's in, and some people in the building die; this is Wanda's fault".

I think you're missing Mad Ones point. It's one of many plot holes in the film. The hypocrisy of Tony sanctioning Wanda's house arrest is disgustingly absurd as he is is responsible for 80% of the casualties in the MCU.

I think you're missing Mad Ones point. It's one of many plot holes in the film. The hypocrisy of Tony sanctioning Wanda's house arrest is disgustingly absurd as he is is responsible for 80% of the casualties in the MCU.
Tony having the character flaw of being hypocritical isn't a plot hole.

Last edited:
Tony having the character flaw of being hypocritical isn't a plot hole.
Maybe not a plot hole but it is incredibly irritating that Wanda is put on house arrest while no one has an issue with Tony walking free, and later Vision. It's hypocrisy from Team Stark, which I suppose is meant to motivate audiences to side with team Cap, who needs the help because TFA did a poor job developing Bucky imo.
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=619c08bfe5149d58838d8bb48b2f23c5&oe=580DCA3F

https://67.media.tumblr.com/4dc08eda9bcc6e015af380216d0884b0/tumblr_noiwjvWEnH1s8ae8yo1_1280.jpg

I found this fan theory online:

Fan Theory: The X-men cinematic universe is actually the House of M of the MCU.
Scarlet Witch did not appear in the X-men universe because... she created that reality where her brother Quicksilver can dodge bullets and save everyone from an explosion in just a few seconds
Fun theory.

Actually if anything, it made Tony more sympathetic to me. He was basically using Avengers HQ as an embassy to keep Wanda safe while he tried to negotiate some kind of deal with the government. Because, as he says, she's not an American citizen (which changes the game immediately), and the government/public sees her as a "weapon of mass destruction." So this is his way of trying to keep them from moving against her potentially, which Cap (who comes across as a well-intentioned fool in this movie imo) ruined that by getting Clint to bust her out, which just made things worse in the end.

And the movie definitely plays up her being young/inexperienced, and her not being in control of her powers fully (which is why she couldn't get Crossbones up high-enough to avoid him taking out part of a building with his suicide vest). And of course potentially they could charge her for whole "you helped Ultron, and deliberately set the Hulk on a rampage through Johannesburg" thing from the last film. One wonders if her getting off completely Scott free for what she pulled in AOU is because she was with the Avengers and they vouched for her?

Now where Tony did screw up is in not sitting her down and explaining things to her beforehand in a way that she'd understand, instead of waiting until she wanted to go out spice shopping for Vision to spring it on her out of the blue. Also he put too much faith in Vision (who means well, but has the social skills of a nine year old at this point) to handle it.

Come to think of it, that's a trend in this movie. Wanda being rather passive and several of the male characters having this paternalistic attitude towards her. Tony, Cap, Hawkeye, and Vision all have that to one degree or another. And she's used as a motivating device for all of them in one war or another (heck she seems to be Clint's primary motivation for coming back and getting involved at all really).

You finding Tony's hypocrisy "absurd" doesn't make it a plot hole. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"