Homecoming Should Mary jane appear?

It shouldn't be an either/or situation between Gwen and MJ. They are two very different characters and are both equally important to the Spider-man mythology for different reasons. In the comics, MJ made several appearances before becoming Peter's love interest. In TASM1, they sort of rushed into romance with Gwen. Now they have an opportunity to do something different instead of rehashing the same old "will they/won't they?" love story that's been in all five Spider-man films.

Gwen has always been shipped as Peter's ideal girl, but comic book MJ (on the surface) is almost the complete opposite of the ideal for a mild mannered science geek like Peter. Sure, she's impossibly gorgeous and charming, but she's also wild (sometimes unpredictable), incredibly extroverted, very hot-headed, a party animal, seemingly flighty, and has completely different interests/goals, etc. Peter eventually realizes that there's more to her than meets the eye.They should toy with that idea, play with the friction between Pete and MJ's contrasting personalities for a while instead of jumping into romance.

All I know is if they manage to drop the ball with MJ again, this franchise can crash and burn as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
I love the comics dearly, but don't want to hear the "jackpot line."

I don't think she should have a huge part in the movie. It'd be a nice change to not have a damsel in distress. Plus, I think it would be realistic to have Peter go a movie without having feelings for someone else, still getting over a certain thing. It'd be cool if throughout the movie, she is lightly hinted, and then as most of you said, ending with her at the door with the "Face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot."

It shouldn't be an either/or situation between Gwen and MJ. They are two very different characters and are both equally important to the Spider-man mythology for different reasons. In the comics, MJ made several appearances before becoming Peter's love interest. In TASM1, they sort of rushed into romance with Gwen. Now they have an opportunity to do something different instead of rehashing the same old "will they/won't they?" love story that's been in all five Spider-man films.

Gwen has always been shipped as Peter's ideal girl, but comic book MJ (on the surface) is almost the complete opposite of the ideal for a mild mannered science geek like Peter. Sure, she's impossibly gorgeous and charming, but she's also wild (sometimes unpredictable), incredibly extroverted, very hot-headed, a party animal, seemingly flighty, and has completely different interests/goals, etc. Peter eventually realizes that there's more to her than meets the eye.They should toy with that idea, play with the friction between Pete and MJ's contrasting personalities for a while instead of jumping into romance.

All I know is if they manage to drop the ball with MJ again, this franchise can crash and burn as far as I'm concerned.

I really liked this post, you have a really deep understanding of the difference between Gwen and MJ and how Peter's relationship with MJ could work without feeling forced, a shame you're not writing the script.

I really liked this post, you have a really deep understanding of the difference between Gwen and MJ and how Peter's relationship with MJ could work without feeling forced, a shame you're not writing the script.

Haha! Thanks! :awesome:

If they are going to use MJ, the goal of the writers should be to bring something fresh/new/interesting to the Spider-Man film franchise while remaining true to the essence of the character. If they try to shove her in as a replacement love interest after Gwen and rehash old themes, they'll fail to do both.

To me, Gwen is entirely overrated as a love interest and doesn't hold a candle to MJ.

She only got to be in the comics from 1965-1973 before she was killed off. The comics play off of the memory of her death a lot, and that is her biggest contribution to the mythos. Now, the new movies added A LOT to her character that wasn't in the comics such as even knowing Peter was Spider-man. So she was way better in the movies.

On the other hand, MJ was waaaayyy worse in the movies, playing a very boring girl next door version without all the vivaciousness she had in the comics. MJ has been there from nearly the beginning and is still around today. Plus, she was Peter's wife from 1987-2007, so you can't get any higher status than that as far his love interests go. MJ has so many facets to her personality they could seriously make 5+ movies just unpeeling the layers.

The have a real oppurtunity to take a close look at the comics with MJ and build out an arc for her that extends through a few movies at least. I'd like to see her as Peter's wife one day and explore all the drama that went along with that. The stakes were never higher for Peter being Spider-man than when MJ was his wife.

Last edited:
Kirsten Dunst played a bland Gwen/ MJ mixup damsel in distress/ girl next door version. MJ was more interesting and full of life and energy than that. They gave a lot of strength and sass to Gwen, I wonder if it was mostly because Emma Stone was playing her?

Either way MJ should be more of a strong character this time around. And also let her hair be red red not ginger!! :p

Shaliene Woodley is blowing up recently, not A-List yet but on the way to gathering a sizable fan following.

They should get her back for MJ, if they have MJ

Maybe that's why I am in no rush to see MJ again, the previous incarnation left a bad taste in my mouth :csad:

As far as I'm concerned, we've never seen a live action version of Mary Jane Watson. I don't who that selfish, obnoxious and hateful person was in the previous films but it sure wasn't the wonderful, charming and supportive character, I grew up reading in the comics.

This character is probably the most iconic and popular female in the Marvel universe and has yet to be done right. That's a golden opportunity to not only earn a ton of goodwill but break new ground in terms of cinematic Spidey. When that'll happen and by whom remains to be seen.

As far as I'm concerned, we've never seen a live action version of Mary Jane Watson. I don't who that selfish, obnoxious and hateful person was in the previous films but it sure wasn't the wonderful, charming and supportive character, I grew up reading in the comics.

This character is probably the most iconic and popular female in the Marvel universe and has yet to be done right. That's a golden opportunity to not only earn a ton of goodwill but break new ground in terms of cinematic Spidey. When that'll happen and by whom remains to be seen.

Yeah, I'd love to see a proper live-action 616 version of MJ. It'd be best imo to have MJ and Peter start as friends and maybe only hint at the possibility of a romance by the end of the film.

Yeah, I'd love to see a proper live-action 616 version of MJ. It'd be best imo to have MJ and Peter start as friends and maybe only hint at the possibility of a romance by the end of the film.

That's what I'd like too. I'd even go a bit further and suggest they have the film begin with Peter as a 22 or 23 year old meeting MJ . That would go further in emphasizing Gwen representing his childhood/ first love where as MJ would represent his future wife/adulthood relationship. That would help establish a further demarcation between Gwen and MJ, so MJ doesn't come off as some other girl he met in school who is the place holder for Gwen. If you have him meet her as an adult , the dynamics between them can be much different , and context in which they connect can be different as opposed to trying to play out what Raimi did or having MJ be some other girl from school he falls for.

Well said. Raimi's MJ was MJ in name only.

If she's gonna hog as much screentime as Gwen did.. then hell no! I want less drama, more action! I want no tears, just badassery! Webb I think it's time to bring something new to Spider-man franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"