Are they killing off Mary Jane?

Gabroni

Civilian
Reaction score
With the introduction of Gwen Stacy, who I've read described as a new love interest for Peter Parker (how will they do that w/o breaking Peter and Mary Jane up or killing her off???), does that mean they are killing off Mary Jane?

I believe the general audience likes Dunst's Mary Jane, and roots for her relationship with Peter as they have invested as much emotion in it as they can for such fictional romances. In other words, I think that the general moviegoer likes the Peter/Mary Jane romance, and will not like it if she is killed after they have spent two movies rooting for them to get together.

So regardless of 'fan' feelings on Dunst and her Mary Jane, I think it would be a mistake to kill her off.

And I was just wondering if there have been any spoilers leaked yet that answers this question.

You can't kill Mary Jane. She's the reason Peter is still there. Yeah, Gwen is a love interest. But Mary Jane is what keeps the balance.

Besides, Stan Lee wouldn't allow it. He'd turn into the Hulk or something and eat Raimi's head. Maybe.

they should of had gwen stacey before mary jane.

Nope. The only loons that want MJ to die, are the ones who just don't like Dunst.

Gwen will bite the dust.

She will. This I proclaim. Death by Harry Goblin.

I love Mary Jane!:D If she were to get killed off, I would cry for quite some time.:o

What purpose would killing MJ serve? Raimi and crew know she's Pete's future wife (not to say we'll see that in the movie series, but you get what I mean)

Gwen is to die. It is a mathmatical certainty. Just a different Osborn will do the diabolical deed.

Immortalfire said:
What purpose would killing MJ serve? Raimi and crew know she's Pete's future wife (not to say we'll see that in the movie series, but you get what I mean)

Gwen is to die. It is a mathmatical certainty. Just a different Osborn will do the diabolical deed.

You didn't answer my question.

gwen will not die in this film. she'll be in serious danger at the end of the movie, but she will live.

mark my words.

Immortalfire said:
She'll die because it's what happens.

Thats not answer.Let me know when you come up with a vaild reason.

sure, she's supposed to die at the hands of the goblin off of a bridge. but raimi used that story, just with mary jane. and she lived. they're not gonna do it again with GG2.

Gabroni said:
With the introduction of Gwen Stacy, who I've read described as a new love interest for Peter Parker (how will they do that w/o breaking Peter and Mary Jane up or killing her off???), does that mean they are killing off Mary Jane?

I believe the general audience likes Dunst's Mary Jane, and roots for her relationship with Peter as they have invested as much emotion in it as they can for such fictional romances. In other words, I think that the general moviegoer likes the Peter/Mary Jane romance, and will not like it if she is killed after they have spent two movies rooting for them to get together.

So regardless of 'fan' feelings on Dunst and her Mary Jane, I think it would be a mistake to kill her off.
Just like the comic tanked after killing the love intererest fans rooted for, for years.:rolleyes: They killed Gwen because people liked her and it created a much more dramatic story. You don't care if they kill a character that the audience and the main character has little or no relationship with. So you're right. The audience has grown to want MJ and Peter together, so the most compelling story would be to kill MJ.

SPIKE_BEBOP said:
You can't kill Mary Jane. She's the reason Peter is still there. Yeah, Gwen is a love interest. But Mary Jane is what keeps the balance.

Besides, Stan Lee wouldn't allow it. He'd turn into the Hulk or something and eat Raimi's head. Maybe.

It's not an issue of whether Stan Lee would allow it. I don't think he has any say in the content of the screenplay. They already changed so many thigns about Spider-Man characters, who's to say what they will change next. Stan is who created the characters... but he's not creating the film. Too bad he's not a filmmaker also, then maybe we'd see some real films.

Example. Romeo and Juliet.

DACMAN said:
Example. Romeo and Juliet.

that has no correlation so spider-man whatsoever. that's a tragedy, in which juliet kills herself, because romeo killed himself for her. and the characters were only around for a play. rather than years of comics and movies.

don't see that happening in the spidey universe anytime soon...

SPIKE_BEBOP said:

Umm, according to Stan he intended on having Peter and Gwen get together in the comics from the get go. So I'd think he'd welcome the idea of seeing the character go in the direction he wanted before Gerry Conway took over.

theShape said:
that has no correlation so spider-man whatsoever. that's a tragedy, in which juliet kills herself, because romeo killed himself for her. and the characters were only around for a play. rather than years of comics and movies.

don't see that happening in the spidey universe anytime soon...
DACMAN said:
Just like the comic tanked after killing the love intererest fans rooted for, for years. They killed Gwen because people liked her and it created a much more dramatic story. You don't care if they kill a character that the audience and the main character has little or no relationship with. So you're right. The audience has grown to want MJ and Peter together, so the most compelling story would be to kill MJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"