Should the Bourne movies continue?

4th installments are rare no longer what with Live Free or Die Hard. Indy 4 next year. And even Beverly Hills Cop 4 around the corner.

4th are in now.

Let's let it end. Matt was great in the trilogy, but I am pretty sure he'd probably want to move on to other things unless a really great script came along. Let's enjoy the trilogy for what it is, and look forward to seeing Matt in a new role.

Well, after the success of The Bourne Identity, some guy picked up the series and wrote a fourth installment. This one took place like 20 years after the previous one had, so presumably you could do that and use it as an excuse to recast Damon's role.

However, I've also heard that the two sequels to be written since Ultimatum are weak at best.

Then again, the film versions wildly differ from the novels, so maybe a fourth installment could work...

...but then again, three is a fine number to end the series on...

...personally, I think they should just leave it be. Three decent movies that tell a pretty cool story. I think that's a good to leave it before you get too overzealous.

The Vile One said:
4th installments are rare no longer what with Live Free or Die Hard. Indy 4 next year. And even Beverly Hills Cop 4 around the corner.

4th are in now.

These are also sequels to film franchises that have been unused for a couple of decades. It's not so much that "The Fourth One" is in now, I think, so much as it is that Hollywood is trying to revive all of these old franchises which just happened to end on the third installment.

Plus, as of yet the only "#4" that's been released that I can think of is Live Free or Die Hard, so that's our only measuring stick. It might be wise to wait until more sequels come out before the legitimacy of the practice is decided.

That's what I was thinking too. Though, with Bourne finding out who he was, I was thinking that maybe the series could continue with him being some sort of assassin.

who was he really was jason bourne his real name after all and not just an alias used for convieience[in jason's case used for legal purposes since he didn't recall his true name]:ninja:

The Bourne Trilogy should stay as The Bourne Trilogy. Ultimatum was as perfect an ending as you can ask for.

No, it was based on a trilogy of novels. They did all 3, so end it. Try and come up with some new characters and ideas instead of milking the same one over and over til it gets stale.

I know the Bourne movies aren't really like the books, but are The Bourne Legacy and The Bourne Betrayal any good anyway?

I know the Bourne movies aren't really like the books, but are The Bourne Legacy and The Bourne Betrayal any good anyway?

Bourne Legacy is good, actually better than Bourne Ultimatum (the novel), IMHO. I haven't read The Bourne Betrayal yet. Unlike the films, Ludlum's book trilogy actually drops in quality as you go along, so Van Lustbader picking up his work wasn't all that bad.

On topic, no, the Bourne movies shouldn't continue. Man I love them, but let it stand as a great trilogy and move on.

If the studio is so desperate, get the rights to another Ludlum book (he wrote a hell of a lot of books besides Bourne's) and start a new franchise in the same flavor. But let Bourne lay.

No. I've been bored enough already.

Another question, did Marie die in the Bourne books. A friend of my mom spioled Marie's death in Supremacy, saying she died in the book, so does she?

I say either as long as they can make it good or wait a while and do the Bourne Legacy.

Leaving it as a trilogy is fine with me, though.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if they left it as a trilogy. The question is simply should the series continue. I say that if they have a good script, and can take to another level that that's all good. But then if not, then leave it as it ended.

Another question, did Marie die in the Bourne books. A friend of my mom spioled Marie's death in Supremacy, saying she died in the book, so does she?

Marie is kidnapped in The Bourne Supremacy, but not killed. She is used as a pawn to lure Webb out of retirement to apprehend an new assassin using his old nom de guerre of Jason Bourne. As of The Bourne Legacy, Marie has not been killed. She and Bourne are married, with children.

Marie is kidnapped in The Bourne Supremacy, but not killed. She is used as a pawn to lure Webb out of retirement to apprehend an new assassin using his old nom de guerre of Jason Bourne. As of The Bourne Legacy, Marie has not been killed. She and Bourne are married, with children.

Much appreciated

so webb is jason's real last name eh?

These movies have been great. And now it got the ending it deserved.

I think it's funny that everyone is saying since there are only three "official" books, there should only be three movies. I'd agree with that, if the movies actually used the books plot, but Identity barely used the plot of the book, Supremancy didn't even try and from what I've seen in the previews for Ultimatum it doesn't even try either. So, I say why not, Bourne has been touted as America's James Bond, so why not keep it going with other actors if Damon doesn't want to come back. You can't cite the books because the screen version of Jason Bourne is not Ludlum's character. He's pretty much another example of an "in name only" character, the movies are better than other "in name only" characters sure, but it does fit if you've read the books.

I'd rather see a reboot in 10-15 years.

so webb is jason's real last name eh?

Yes, David Webb is Jason Bourne's real name in the books.

Part of the reason there is even a discussion about continuing the movies is that they didn't incorporate the any part of the ending to The Bourne Identity novel until the end of The Bourne Ultimatum film.

At the end of The Bourne Identity novel,
David returns to the facility in which he became Jason Bourne, (as he did the in TBU movie) and has a nervous breakdown. He is brought back in by the US Government, treated for his amnesia and given a job as a professor at Georgetown University.

I don't think that entire ending could have worked in the film, but because the third movie basically ends where the first book ends,
with David regaining his memory,
there is actually still material from the books they could mine for another film.

But they shouldn't. They should just let it go.

They pretty much lost the ability to ever be remotely faithful to the source material ever again when they killed Marie. She's such a major player in the novels and such an important part of Bourne/Webb's life that there was no hope after that.

What do you guys think? After seeing Bourne Ultimatum, the ending of it just gave me a feeling that they let it end like that if there was a fourth film. That maybe the fourth film could start off from where Ultimatum ended. I know Damon said that he wouldn't play Bourne anymore, would you guys like the idea of someone replacing him? Should the Bourne series end with the thrid film, or should there be more?

If Damon won't return as Bourne . Then their's no reason to continue .

They pretty much lost the ability to ever be remotely faithful to the source material ever again when they killed Marie. She's such a major player in the novels and such an important part of Bourne/Webb's life that there was no hope after that.

And Conklin too. Book Conklin was Webb's ally, one of his best friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"