Should the new Hulk have more to say?

Everything he says must be spoken in the third person, no exceptions.

*Assuming you're being serious*

Oh hell no.

There's a reason that version of the character has consistently failed over the last 2+ decades. (Ultimates doesn't really count - he's a parody there)

If they have him talk, I hope it's either Fixit-like or in confused, broken sentences. The third-person stuff was the absolute worst aspect of the character.

Oh hell no.

There's a reason that version of the character has consistently failed over the last 2+ decades. (Ultimates doesn't really count - he's a parody there)

If they have him talk, I hope it's either Fixit-like or in confused, broken sentences. The third-person stuff was the absolute worst aspect of the character.

So you're saying "HULK SMASH" and "HULK IS THE STRONGEST ONE THERE IS" are the absolute worst aspect of the character?

So you're saying "HULK SMASH" and "HULK IS THE STRONGEST ONE THERE IS" are the absolute worst aspect of the character?

The "HULK" parts, yes. A good ol' "SMASH!" or "STRONGEST ONE THERE IS!" is fine, but, again, the third-person stuff on the big screen would be as excruciatingly toe-curling as Defoe's "WEEEEEEEEEE'LL MEET AGAIN, SPIDER-MAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!" or the "Joo mess wid one of us, joo mess wid allllllllll of us!"

I wrote this a couple of months back:

I'd also like an intelligent Hulk. Not a genius by any means but a few levels above Lou Ferrigno's silent moron from the series. Maybe the intellect of a five or six-year-old. On the one hand a child is scared of the world, but they can also be incredibly selfish, cruel, spiteful and angry. Oh and, hey, you know what else little kids don't do? THEY DON'T REFER TO THEMSELVES IN THE THIRD PERSON! For the love of God please let's not have the "Hulk soliloquize puny humans!" version of the character. There's a reason that this incarntation has consistently failed to ignite the vast majority of reader's enthusiam of the last twenty-five years or so. The only place it has actually been successful is in Mark Millar's Ultimates where it is pretty much a parody. I would like to see a Hulk that has the capability to talk, if not the desire. Maybe a few lines of dialogue here and there like "SHUT UP!" or "KILL YOU!" or even "LEAVE ME ALONE!"

"HULK SMASH!" is, of course, a classic line, and I would like to see it utilized in some way, though. Maybe in a scene where a Rick Jones-ish character is trying to calm the Hulk down as a hourde of military is closing in, like:

RJ'ish: Hulk? Hulk! Stay calm okay? Take it easy.

Hulk grunts, unimpresed. He looks out towards the tanks.

RJ'sh: Easy, big guy come on now. Chill, okay?

Hulk looks at him.

RJ'sh: Yeah, that's it. It's cool, Hulk. It's okay. Hulk cool?

beat . . .

Hulk: Hulk smash.

Leaps across the desert to wreck their s#!&.

Now I'm not saying that what I wrote is exactly David Mamet, but it was merely supposed to be a quick example of the kind of way that the line could be used without being laughed out of the theater, which is what'll happen if the third-person stuff is played straight in this day and age.

The "HULK" parts, yes. A good ol' "SMASH!" or "STRONGEST ONE THERE IS!" is fine, but, again, the third-person stuff on the big screen would be as excruciatingly toe-curling as Defoe's "WEEEEEEEEEE'LL MEET AGAIN, SPIDER-MAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!" or the "Joo mess wid one of us, joo mess wid allllllllll of us!"

Now I'm not saying that what I wrote is exactly David Mamet, but it was merely supposed to be a quick example of the kind of way that the line could be used without being laughed out of the theater, which is what'll happen if the third-person stuff is played straight in this day and age.

Well, I've gotta disagree on most of these points. It's true that those select scenes in Spider-Man were a bit painful to stomach, but I see no connection between the angry New Yorkers on the GW bridge and Hulk referring to himself in the third person.

When the Hulk speaks that way, it's obvious he's struggling to express himself, and in his frustration, he refers to himself objectively, in the third person, as if he were another person trying to stick up for himself, which is what third person speech is, essentially. I mean, this has become part of the core and soul of the character, just as the snappy quips and humorous puns are so strongly identified with Spider-Man, which people are poised to see more of.

I mean, this has become part of the core and soul of the character

Well, I'd disagree there. It's one aspect, sure, but hardly the "core and soul", especially as it hasn't really been used in about a quarter of a century and when it is used, the sales go down the toilet. That's the beauty of the character, I suppose; it's so diverse and complex that a hundred different people can hold up a hundred different stories and proclaim each to define it.

Personally, I've always been attracted to the duality of the character and the battle between civility and unleashed rage and fury. Others just want to see him do crap like picking up mountains and "proving" that he's stronger than Superman and to never, ever, ever lose a single fight, which to me seems dull as hell and yet we all are drawn to the character with equal passion.

There's not really a more versatile character in comics.

Well, there probably is, but for the sake of exaggeration and lack of motivation to do research, there isn't.

Oh hell no.

It all depends on what version of the Hulk you're a fan of. For most it's the old school, green skin, jade jaws that personifies the Hulk the best. The Hulk is the opposite of Bruce Banner so that means big, strong, powerful, courageous, and yes....child like. So the best speech patern for the Hulk would be "HULK IS STRONGEST THERE IS".

HulkSuperman2.jpg

Well, I think alot of fans and the general audience itself would be a bit disappointed if this film proves to be more like the Ferrigno/Bixby TV series, and Marvel comics without a single, "HULK SMASH!", or "HULK IS STRONGEST ONE THERE IS!" being uttered at some point or another. Although I can understand why some people think lines like that would really camp up the film, I believe they can most definately work. Provided that they are spoken by The Hulk in certain scenes in the film, and on a very minimal basis.

If they went with modern hulk he could sound like Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry ;)

Just kidding

In any case, it would be nice if he had a few lines that showed he understood words when people spoke to him and he was not just a mindless beast.

The modern Hulk isn't as scary as the simple minded Hulk. The modern Hulk is more of a rational thinker, the old fashioned Hulk is unpredictable and easier to anger, and as you know the madder hulk gets....

Exactly.

As far as power goes, I don't think The Savage Hulk's full power level's were ever truthfully revealed. Even The Professor Hulk (the one that was first assumed to be the "Merged" Hulk) was revealed not to be as powerful as The Savage Hulk.

Exactly.

As far as power goes, I don't think The Savage Hulk's full power level's were ever truthfully revealed. Even The Professor Hulk (the one that was first assumed to be the "Merged" Hulk) was revealed not to be as powerful as The Savage Hulk.

Actually the merged hulk was incredibly powerful, but when he got retconned into the Professor Hulk he became weaker.

Actually the merged hulk was incredibly powerful, but when he got retconned into the Professor Hulk he became weaker.
That's why I made mention of The Professor originally assumed to be the "Merged" Hulk. Who was supposedly at the same power level's as The Savage Hulk, but we later found out (thru a retcon like you said of course) that this assumption was indeed, false.

It all depends on what version of the Hulk you're a fan of.

Sure, and I think it's going to be pretty much a given that you'll get the version you like in the film. Personally I like the original version the best; I think an eight-foot-tall, four-foot-wide, green, pissed-off Vic Mackey is much scarier than the purple-pants version, but then I'm not averse to that particular incarnation, either. The only thing I don't like about it is the dialogue. "BAH! STUPID MAN WITH CAPE MAKES MORE NOISE TO BOTHER HULK!" Eeewwww. Call me a philistine but "HULK IS STRONGEST ONE THERE IS!" is an awful, awful line of dialogue. I don't care how "iconic" it supposedly is, it's just plain bad. Like I said before, "Hulk smash" is an essential line and must be in the film, but personally I think that that's the only time the third-person stuff should be used.

For most it's the old school, green skin, jade jaws that personifies the Hulk the best.

Debatable. The general public may like the moron version from the TV show, because that's what they're used to. As for comics fans, I think that the Savage Hulk is the preference of a relatively hefty, yet even more vocal minority. Now you could create a poll, and a hundred message board posters could all jump on and vote for Savage, but I reckon the proof is in the sales. They've tried at numerous times to bring back Savage but time and time again it lasts, for the most part, only a couple of months.

The Hulk is the opposite of Bruce Banner so that means big, strong, powerful, courageous, and yes....child like. So the best speech patern for the Hulk would be "HULK IS STRONGEST THERE IS".

But why?

Again, how many children do you know that speak in the third-person? If anything, he should speak kinda like Charlie Gordon from Flowers for Algernon.

Spidey made a good defence for the third-person stuff a few posts back and it sounds nice in theory, but I've never really seen it utilised in a way that wasn't ham-fisted and cheesy. With the one, single exception, maybe, of "Hulk: The End."

DISCLAIMER: Before anyone comes out with "Pfft! In your opinion!" Yeah, well, no $#@%. What else do we have?

I really agree with Limey on this one...

The Way I imagine Hulk talking is exactly like a child.
I have a 3 year old brother. (yes...a three year old brother..my familys brother gaps are that crazy) but he doesnt say "CONNOR AM ANGRY"

the closest thing he does is say ME instead of I. which I think could work.

Hulk is easily frustrated. He doesn't get angry unless provoked.
I Could imagine him saying "SMASH!" or "ME SMASH!"

small sentences only though. If they DID Go with big lines, I would personally make it like the Fight between Abomination and Hulk in the Ultimates. without the third person of course.

It makes the Hulk scary when he talks. Otherwise you have a mute dumb monster. When he talks he's scary because his child like chatter makes you fear what he could do next.

Or he could be more scary when you don't know what he's thinking and that his brain is so savage that it can't even articulate words. Stereotypical monster's Tarzan-like speech (like old Frankenstein movies) might make him sound dumb. It's not like Hulk has too much to say. Can't think of Hulk having meaningful dialogues and then how that wouldn't make the character look dumb.

Some yelling, maybe the wink for fans of Hulk Smash or Puny humans. No more than that.

He should talk mostly in the 1st person(Leave ME alone!) rather than the 3rd person but that doesn't mean they can't find some clever way to put in a few iconic lines in the 3rd person. He should still say little over-all(in other words, be about as talkative as Arnie from the 1st Terminator movie), but I could see some situations where he could deliver the "Hulk Smash! & "Hulk is the strongest one there is!" lines.

But why?

Again, how many children do you know that speak in the third-person? If anything, he should speak kinda like Charlie Gordon from Flowers for Algernon.

Spidey made a good defence for the third-person stuff a few posts back and it sounds nice in theory, but I've never really seen it utilised in a way that wasn't ham-fisted and cheesy. With the one, single exception, maybe, of "Hulk: The End."

DISCLAIMER: Before anyone comes out with "Pfft! In your opinion!" Yeah, well, no $#@%. What else do we have?

Excellent point, I guess refering to the HULK's speech as child like is a bit misleading. Perhaps if we should just refer to the Hulk's dialect as 3rd person speak and examine why the Hulk does refer to himself as Hulk. The Hulk got his name from his first comic book appearance, when a soldier referred to him as a big "Hulk". I believe the Hulk refers to himself that way because that is what he heard the soldier call him. It's stretching but if you think about it the Hulk in the begining had know idea who he is or how he came to be so much like the legendary Tarzan when refered to as Hulk he introduces himself as Hulk not having the mental capacity to realize that we refering to a 3rd person the speaker is talking with someone about someone else. ("He is good." "They are smart."). "Pffft, that's my opinion!"

Perhaps if we should just refer to the Hulk's dialect as 3rd person speak and examine why the Hulk does refer to himself as Hulk.

Because Stan Lee, bless 'im, is a godawful dialogue writer?

The Hulk got his name from his first comic book appearance, when a soldier referred to him as a big "Hulk". I believe the Hulk refers to himself that way because that is what he heard the soldier call him. It's stretching but if you think about it the Hulk in the begining had know idea who he is or how he came to be so much like the legendary Tarzan when refered to as Hulk he introduces himself as Hulk not having the mental capacity to realize that we refering to a 3rd person the speaker is talking with someone about someone else.

But his faculties were fine. He was aggressive and violent but before the first transformation was through, he knew exactly who he was and had pretty clear idea of how he got that way. In fact he was pretty clear-headed for a good amount of time before Stan decided it'd be cooler to have him start talking like a Tarzan/Frankenstein love child.

But whatever, there's no point in debating it. I think the backward speech is lame, limiting, and would bomb like hell in a film. You think its an essential aspect of the character. I'm not going to change your mind, and you sure as hell aren't going to change mine, so there's not really much point in going round in circles about it.

"Pffft, that's my opinion!"

Smartass. :cwink:

The Hulk as he will be portrayed should be able to talk even if he does not sit down for tea. it shows he is not a mindless beast.

I like th current Hulk but he certainly would make Bruce Banner redundant if portrayed in a movie.

Because Stan Lee, bless 'im, is a godawful dialogue writer?

But his faculties were fine. He was aggressive and violent but before the first transformation was through, he knew exactly who he was and had pretty clear idea of how he got that way. In fact he was pretty clear-headed for a good amount of time before Stan decided it'd be cooler to have him start talking like a Tarzan/Frankenstein love child.

But whatever, there's no point in debating it. I think the backward speech is lame, limiting, and would bomb like hell in a film. You think its an essential aspect of the character. I'm not going to change your mind, and you sure as hell aren't going to change mine, so there's not really much point in going round in circles about it.

Smartass. :cwink:

I don't think Stan was writing the series when Hulk decided to go third person. In most of the 60's Hulk comics he refers to himself as "I" and "Me", and has more of the Mr. Hyde personality that later resurfaced as Joe Fixit. I'm pretty sure the "rock-man", "Hulk smash puny humans", etc, Hulk was basicially a Roy Thomas creations. Under Stan, it was more like "The Hulk is the strongest one there is!"-which is not the same as "Hulk is strongest one there is."-it's a slight difference but it's there. Stan's Hulk was much nastier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"