Batman Begins Similarities to Year One

Paste Pot Pete

No, I build a rocket.
Reaction score
I was just reading Year One for the first time in about a year and a half, and I thought it'd be a good time to reflect on the elements of it that I think Nolan either pulled directly or was inspired by for Batman Begins.

-The overall look of Gotham. Very urban, not too gothic.

-The first shot of the book is actually the train, which becomes a very important location/device in the movie.

-Bruce's return to Gotham. Obviously, it's a natural plot point, but it did begin Year One. Also, there's media hubbub concerning his return as "Gotham's favorite son." In Begins, Finch comments "It's all over the news, he's back."

-Flass' comments to Gordon in their patrol car. In Year One, he vaguely references "[The boys] are worried about you." In Begins, he's a little more explicit- "You don't take the taste. It makes some of the other guys nervous."

-Bruce's first undercover operation (before donning the suit) in Year One could be seen as quickly referenced in the scene in Begins where Bruce is dressed raggedly, listening in on the conversation between Flass and Falcone.

-Though it lacks the drag out fight of Year One, Gordon eventually knocks out and handcuffs Flass in Begins.

-Bruce's first suited night out almost ends in disaster in Year One. His first night (meeting with Gordon), albeit sans mask, also almost ends in disaster in Begins.

-In both, Flass is present at a drug delivery which Batman busts. He descends from the sky and takes everyone out. He is seen as "a creature." In Year One, this story is told at a precinct meeting concerning Batman, much like the one in Begins.

-Falcone is tied up by Batman. In Year One, he is found in his bed. In Begins, he is found strapped to a search light.

-In Year One, Batman is surrounded by police and swat in an abandoned building. In Begins, a similar scene takes place in Arkham.

-In both, to escape the police, Batman uses a high frequency device hidden on the bottom of his boot to call a wave of bats.

-Bruce pretends to be drunk in both; in Year One it is to fool Gordon. In Begins, it is to fool his party guests.

-In Year One, Bruce does pushups in his underwear as Alfred reads the paper. In Begins, he presents Bruce with a newspaper, before Bruce drops to do pushups in his underwear.

-Both end with Gordon seeking Batman's help against a particular clown prince of crime.

BB and Year One are very, very different despite these similarities.

BB and Year One are very, very different despite these similarities.

Obviously. This was simply an exercise in what exactly Nolan and Co lifted from the source material.

It's always fun to pinpoint things like this, and it makes certain comic movies all the better for not being straight adaptation of particular books.

Pete, how did you miss the bat-calling device?

And Nolan showed how Batman got his wonderful toys but not a word for this one until that out of the blue this device appear from his boots. It worked well enough though.

I still think YEAR ONE is very flawed story though.

Batman Begins managed to put the mythos in a blender and mash things up right by taking from different stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"