The Dark Knight Rises Mirror Scenes and Dialogue in TDK Trilogy

aTwBF.jpg

TDKR:
d67YQ.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Isnt the Lazarus Pit liquid green too ? :oldrazz:

Talia spoke and moved just like her father in her first scene.

Miranda's first scene is so gorgeous, she is truly hypnotizing.

TDK:

Wayne : " But this is different this time ... they went too far "
Alfred: " you went too far Sir "

TDKR :

Wayne : " since you've lost all my money "
Fox : " actually, you did "

In TDK, Rachel wrote for Bruce in the letter:
"I'm sorry to let you down"

In TDKR, Selina told him:
"Sorry I keep letting you down"

The best one yet;

Bruce being almost rewarded (and not scared) of bats coming out of a crack at the top of the well in TDKRises.

My one criticism about this thread would be (as it has already shown) eventually it's going to lead to people repeating ones (sometimes multiple times) or completely ditching the 'mirror-scenes' aspect and just go for carried-through themes. I think perhaps it should have gone the direction of discussing the mirror scenes that are present, rather than just listing any you could potentially find.

That being said, I think I actually found a new one:

"What happened to the rest of the guys?"
*Blam*

"Follow him?"
*Blam*

Crane's first appearance in BB and in the trilogy : in a courtroom

Crane's first appearance in TDKR and the last in the trilogy : in a courtroom

Each film deals with deus ex machina narrative trope in interesting ways. This is something that's appeared in countless movies, specifically blockbuster and even more specifically superhero blockbusters. But this trilogy manages to make it it's own.

In Begins Ra's attacks the city using the monorail and microwave emitter, two things made by Wayne Enterprises and the former something that Thomas Wayne personally worked on. In this way Ra's, himself a corrupted father-figure, uses Bruce's father's work to destroy Gotham.

In Knight the trope is subverted by the hero having the giant machine and using it in ethically questionable ways to catch the bad guy. Considering Batman is made into the city's villain by the end of the movie this is some clever sub-textual foreshadowing.

Like most things in the film, Rises combines the previous two's ideas with the fusion reactor. Here we have a costly device that Bruce personally invested in to better the city like his father with the monorail, but unfortunately also like his father it is used for evil by Bane, a twisted bastard son to Ra's and sibling to Bruce. In the end Batman uses the machine in a sacrificial way to both save the city and cement himself as its hero.

Are those Deus Ex Machina? Deus Ex Machina is when something conveniently saves the hero or the day at the last moment without being properly hinted at or set up before, to my estimation, removing the protagonist of the story from the conflict's solution. Throughout all those movies those various technologies are hinted at/established throughout the films, and in fact much of the plot revolves around them.

A better example of Deus Ex Machina would be Catwoman saving Batman out of the blue at the last moment right before he is killed by Bane (apparently with the Tumbler in stealth mode so nobody hears it driving through the door into the building...). It's not a total Deus Ex Machina since Batman is ultimately responsible for resolving the film's final conflict, but it acts like one in that it conveniently saves him from demise with no adequate set up.

I think you are more referring to the story trope of the MacGuffin, some artifact, machine or device which the plot revolves around or conveniently moves it forward. They can act LIKE a Deus Ex Machina (take the Ark in Raiders of the Lost Ark, it is the MacGuffin the film revolves around, and it is hinted at that opening it is a bad idea, but ultimately the literal "God from the Machine" saves the day at the end by killing all the Nazis--Indy is basically just a total bystander at that point) but are clearly established early in the film. They also act as somewhat weak Chekhov's Guns, though I think that more accurately describes things like Batman's flying gauntlet blades in The Dark Knight or the Bat's autopilot in The Dark Knight Returns (the flying gauntlet blades are the strongest Chekhov's Gun in the trilogy--they are only mentioned once, and never used until the climax of the film).

These are just my best guesses at definitions for the things, though...I might be all wet.

Yeah Deus Ex Machina is more things like Baramos listed, when the hero is saved conveniently by 'the hand of God'.

Actually while we're on this tangent is there a Chekhov's Gun in Batman Begins? We got the flying gauntlet blades in The Dark Knight, and the autopilot in TDKR is only a semi-Chekhov's gun in my opinion since it is mentioned three or four times before saving the day, but is there an equivalent gadget or weapon in Batman Begins where it is only mentioned near the beginning, we forget about it, and only suddenly remember it when it then suddenly is the thing that Batman uses to gain victory at the very end?

Actually while we're on this tangent is there a Chekhov's Gun in Batman Begins? We got the flying gauntlet blades in The Dark Knight, and the autopilot in TDKR is only a semi-Chekhov's gun in my opinion since it is mentioned three or four times before saving the day, but is there an equivalent gadget or weapon in Batman Begins where it is only mentioned near the beginning, we forget about it, and only suddenly remember it when it then suddenly is the thing that Batman uses to gain victory at the very end?

Not in the strictest sense of the term. Maybe the bats that Batman uses to escape Arkham Asylum because we see them at the very beginning of the movie and it plays with the idea of Bruce using his own fear to fight others. Also, even though it's not really a weapon I think Gordon's letter is the best example of Chekhov's Gun in Rises. It's not seen or mentioned after Bane takes it and one could argue he uses it as ammunition to hurt the city.

The military grade water vaporizer that the LOS uses. But that's a major plot device.

alternatively, His final test with the LOS and being under the influence of the blue flower and then being hit by the scarecrow's toxin later on and realizing the connection.

I think that ultimately the trilogy does a great job of introducing the LOS in begins and ending it with the LOS in Rises

Crane's first appearance in BB and in the trilogy : in a courtroom

Crane's first appearance in TDKR and the last in the trilogy : in a courtroom
And to add to my genius observations :yay: :whatever:

In BB, RAS and Wayne are sitting on the ground, around a fire, and RAS is telling his story to Bruce
He also advises Bruce against vengeance

In TDKR, during the climax, Talia and Batman are both on the ground and she is telling him her story
She also lets him know that she is there to avenge her father (amongst other things)

:oldrazz:

In TDK the mob meeting scene and the rooftop scene with the triumvirate are sequenced right next to each other setting up the two power groups that kind of go head-to-head for the rest of the movie.

Found this somewhere on the web

4. Cafe scene with Alfred: obviously, recalls the conversation between Alfred and Bruce earlier in the film about Bruce leaving Gotham and not coming back because he's found happiness. What I found especially interesting is that the music playing throughout the whole ending is the same music as in the ending of TDK. In TDK, the drums came in right after Gordon said 'so we'll hunt him'. In TDKR, the drums come in just as Alfred realises that it's Bruce. My interpretation is that it's a deliberate contrast: in TDK the point was to emphasise how alienated Bruce had become; in TDKR the point is to emphasise how Bruce has moved on with his life.

Found this somewhere on the web

4. Cafe scene with Alfred: obviously, recalls the conversation between Alfred and Bruce earlier in the film about Bruce leaving Gotham and not coming back because he's found happiness. What I found especially interesting is that the music playing throughout the whole ending is the same music as in the ending of TDK. In TDK, the drums came in right after Gordon said 'so we'll hunt him'. In TDKR, the drums come in just as Alfred realises that it's Bruce. My interpretation is that it's a deliberate contrast: in TDK the point was to emphasise how alienated Bruce had become; in TDKR the point is to emphasise how Bruce has moved on with his life.

All Rises's ending is kind a mirror of TDK's ending. Like Batman says in TDK, in their last scenes in Rises, the same characters had their faith rewarded, manly Alfred and Gordon. Lucius is more because he tries to do everything right at the end of TDK and when he didn't wanted to "gave" the reactor to Bane in TDKR. The only think he thought he failed was the autopilot and wasn't the case.

also not to mention the breaking of the bat signal vs Gordon finding the repaired bat signal in those scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"