Superman Returns Singer mentioned that this would vaguely tie in with Smallville, how so???

Discussion in 'Donner's Superman' started by TheBlueWolf, Mar 16, 2006.

1. KalKai n/a

They got 2 years still, it's not too late.

2. Super_Ludacris Registered

Old People:)

3. Kane Guest

Agreed. Begins is probably the best comic Superhero film ever made so far. It say its boring means anything is boring..:down

4. KalKai n/a

It probably is, it's still gets boring though, lol.

5. Kane Guest

The shows already defined itself, and the characters (except Brainiac) have all embarassed themselves and been tainted with too many bad storylines. I cant take the show seriously anymore.

Its on par in campiness with the 60s Batman and Robin for me, only this is a modern camp.....in a cheesy teen soap kinda way.

6. Kane Guest

For you. Majority seem to love it.

7. Super_Ludacris Registered

I would say Spider-man 2 is an inch above Batman Begins

I rank them like:

superhero/comic book genre
    1. Spider-man 2
    2. Batman Begins
    3. Batman 89
    4. Superman 78
    5.X2
    6. Blade
    7. X-Men
    8.Sin City
    9. Spider-man
    10. Batman Returns
    11. Blade 2
    12. Superman 2
    13. History of Violence
    14. Crow
    15. Hellboy

8. Super_Ludacris Registered

Well it aint that bad at all, infact it's living proof you can bastardize a character's mythology and still have a good show.

Burton's Bat-films are the same

9. KalKai n/a

If I feel that way about a show I stop watching it immediately.

10. Kane Guest

I duno about Spiderman II. The storyline was pretty basic. The classic identity thing between man and superhero.

Begins was more raw. I just find the character of Batman the most intriguing.

Superman Returns, Im hoping, will likely have the same fun feel as Spiderman II. But even so, Batman will always be the best for me.

I always prefer the darkness to the light.

11. Super_Ludacris Registered

I must the only dude who likes comics that are faithful and unfaithful provided the story is hot.

*does the George Jefferson walk out of this comic shop*

12. Kane Guest

Ha. Not anywhere close to the same extent. I'd say Schumaccers is more on par with SV; Lots of hardcore fans dont like it and yet random ppl (who know nothing about superhero stuff) enjoy it.

13. Super_Ludacris Registered

And that's why it's the classic superhero tale. Ulitmatley it has that universal appeal that makes comics and superheroes popular on a mass level. It was the best interpretation of a light comic book just like Batman Begins was of dark (although I think there are some darker ones to come and Blade 1 and 2 were good too)

14. Kane Guest

The problem is on SV, the story isnt.

I mean BB took some liberties, most noteably making Ducard and Rasagual the same character.. but it played off in an amazing way that worked with the movie (in a non-campy serious way).

JLU takes alot of liberties, but their all executed well and some of the liberties still respectful to the source material.

15. Kane Guest

lol errr. It was all downhill for me after Blade I, the sequels...not so good.

That storyline does have universal appeal. It was done in Superman II. It seems like Singer is going for another storyline with universal appeal, a classic hero returning to a world turned to darkness that doesnt need him anymore. I dont think thats been done by any Superhero film.

16. Super_Ludacris Registered

But Schumacher's films sucked because even if you didnt know anything about comic books or batman they would still be a laughable 90's box office fodder by a mainstream audience (which are still watachble but that's neither here nor there).

With stuff like Smallville and Burton's Batman films, you dont have to know anything about comics and still like the shows and still see what the writers/directors put together as enjoyable with out patronising or making the audiences. Add to that, there best of there time (WB shows, general TV and 90's movie adaptation)

17. Super_Ludacris Registered

As I said in my last post, Batman 89/92 and SV take beyond liberties but are good because they are the interpretation and reimagination of how the makers of them view the respective mythology and they work. I mean if it's take people calling them an "elseword story" to sleep at night so be it. But there still better than some adaptations that tried to be faithful but just didnt work

18. Kane Guest

Dude no. If I made the majority of non-SV fans watch the last 3 aired episodes of SV, laughable fodder would come to mind. I mean look how ridiculous alot of the stories are. Alot of it is pure camp...ex:

Lex - "Clark, youre hypnotised.. that explains your super strength"

The Batman films by Burton (although taking liberties from the comics like BB did) did it in a respectable way. You could still take it seriously at the end of the day. Theyre on a totally different level.

19. Kane Guest

Read above post.

20. Super_Ludacris Registered

Would those non-sv fans be comic book fans? Fans of shows of 24 and Lost? Like I said in my last post its the best for its pack of shows. SV was never built for those type of audiences but it's excelled from the shows similar to it (as a superhero TV show it's better than Lois and Clark, Birds of Prey, Flash and any WB show that didnt have Joss Whedon name to it) That's a big pool of shows right there.

21. Kane Guest

But your comparing it to pure sh^t...

SV is a teen soap geared for them and thus alot of the ridiculous stories are reflective of that concept. It totally reinvents the mythos into something different; a typical wb-esque show.

Burton, despite a few changes, maintained the dark aspect of Batman. It wasnt a total reinvent for a particular audience or demo, it was an all around great film for everyone and still kept Batman as a respectable figure. Its on a totally different level man.

I dont see the so-called similarities. Every comic medium takes liberties, but its all in the execution of how its done. Sv is very hit and miss with its execution (more on the miss side)...but thats mainly because the superman stuff is secondary to entertaining the wb audience first. With Batman, it was all about the real sh^t. There was no target demo that required stuff to be toned down and redone for that reason.

22. skruloos Registered

That was the point from the get go and what Ludacris has been saying all along. It was always going to be Buffy meets Dawson's Creek. Anyone thinking otherwise was delusional.

That may be true for Batman '89 but Batman Returns was a total re-invent of the character for a particular audience: Tim Burton and his fans.

23. Kane Guest

I didnt see much of a difference between the 2 of them. The first was obviously superior but they both maintained that Tim Burton-esque look and feel.....but thats the same with any director and his work.

And to that I agree wholeheartedly one hundred percent... I'm not expecting it to me anymore than it is. Its too late anyways.

24. Super_Ludacris Registered

But like Movies, TV shows have got there little genres too and let's be real you know SV isnt just popular and got critical acclaim for nothing.
    And what it's done is reinvented Superman or at least the aspect of Clark Kent. Lot of people have compared Smallville to Spider-man not even knowing Smallville came out BEFORE Spider-man. Both adaptations set that trend of teen angst in superhero live-action adaptions and it worked. Outside of comic book fans, Superman aint really that intruiging compared to other superheroes (X-Men, Batman, Blade and Spiderman) so Smallville allowed to show Superman from other side, that vunerable young learning curve side. People often say "How can there be intruiged to a guy who supposed all invincible". Comic book fans might see this but Smallville showed a side that never got mentioned in any live-action adaptation before. How a young hero copes.

And as far as Burton's Batman films they were anythign but real ****. The majority of the intruige with the fims was that gothic fantasy/film noir style that first two movies showed and were undeniably from Burton's mind. Begins was dope because it was some real **** but was one of the reasons why some Burton fans arent that crazy with BB and why BB and comic fans and core film goers love the authenticity of the new movie, it makes Burton's film look just as bad as Schumachers. But they got love because of Burton's POV was expressed perfectly.

25. The Kid AMERICA FTW

Let me throw myself in too. It's a show about a period of time in superman's story I think most fans don't know or care about. I don't. So when they screw something around, it doesn't really look stupid to me. If it were superman time and they messed around with the core essentials of superman's story then I'd kill someone. But for smallville years it's ok with me. Imagine a batman vesion about his years before becoming batman, a time little know of in detail. What's to say they wouldn't do the same sort of thing to keep the show interesting week after weak instead of just bruce kicking ninja ass and learning stuff. Actually now that i think of it, that'd be a pretty good show.

But anyway what's so fascinating to me about smallvile is seing Lex struggle with his issues on the show. I hope they stop ****ing with us and just get straight to him being evil already.

The clark character is boring except when he's using red kryptonite. Lana's nice to look at but not much else. Chloe is fun and Lois is really well played by durance, almost better than hatcher.