Singer mentioned that this would vaguely tie in with Smallville, how so???

Discussion in 'Superman Returns' started by TheBlueWolf, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Kane Guest

I duno. I was just quoting the other dudes. I wouldnt even use the word 'mafia'... its too cool a term to associate with the SV fanbase.

2. Mentok Registered

Its only a small number of SV fans that give the others a bad name.

3. Scooter Registered

Well, I'd say that was petty, but I get the feeling your used to it...

:up: :)

4. Scooter Registered

Isn't that true of all fanbases? Ya know, this one included...

5. The Kid AMERICA FTW

SV fans are peacefully enjoying their show. Leave them alone. Instead have some love and peace! love and peace! That's what superman is about.

6. Scooter Registered

What the world needs now...

:)

7. Superman \S/ Registered

I agree with you on that.

8. Thunder Emperor Registered

Yes we are here, lol.

Lex is played well in smallville for what he is suppossed to be a pre evil lex. its the full fledge LEx you are seeing, but lex before he becomes the worlds greatest evil.

9. LostSon88 Registered

I love the show AND am a hardcore Superman fan...granted they've made a few missteps and in many cases some downright idiotic decisions but don't ignore the fact that SV has helped re-introduce the Superman character to a new generation.

Yeah so its not the traditional portrayal of Clark Kent/Superman, but that's the point! Its a modernized version and in my opinion, an "Ultimate Superman" type of deal ala Marvel's contemporary versions of their heroes (X-men/Spider-man)...are those considered canon? Hell no. But that doesn't make them any less enjoyable.

Smallville may not be YOUR Superman, but it probably is to millions of kids around the world.

Oh and for the record, I HATE MTV--I think its a s*** network that's got nothing better to do than feed celebrity egos so please don't make it sound like "teenyboppers" are the only audince of Smallville.

10. Kane Guest

Smallville isnt Superman at all though. I honestly think 'kids' are more familiar with the DCAU Superman as the Superman of their generation anyways...

Well until Superman Returns of course.

11. Kane Guest

Not at all, I just have too much respect for the mafia, and too little for the majority of SV fans.

12. Scooter Registered

Uh-huh...

13. skruloos Registered

It may not be YOUR Superman but it IS Superman to quite a few people whether you like it or not. It's every bit as important to the mythos as Superman Returns or Lois and Clark or the Donner film. They may not fit your ideal mold of what Superman should be but then again, it doesn't have to.

14. KaptainKrypton Registered

Skru, this is where I'm going to have to disagree with you. The people who usually associate Smallville as being a good representation of Superman are a bit off kilter in that respect, if you ask me. If shoddy writing, horrendous dialogue, and bad acting (most notably by the show's lead, no less) are what determines the show's worth, then I guess I have no concept of what Superman should represent. To me, Smallville is about as important to the cumulative Superman mythos as a Barbara Streisand CD. For my fix of a teen-angst superhero, I watch Spider-Man. SPIDER-MAN. Not Suckville.:) I'm ready for battle, Wellingites.

15. Michael Corleone Don Corleone

Does it really matter? I mean this thread only asked if Singer did indeed mention there would be a tie in then how would it happen? I honestly dont care what folks think of the show. I watch it...I don't like some of it but its just a damn TV show people. How off topic can you get?

The topic was never to debate the opinions on smallville.

16. Kane Guest

Its based on the Superman mythos (loosely) but he isnt portraying Superman within the series..

If he was, you'd have to consider the Superboy actors from the 80s are SuperMAN actors as well.....which isnt right.

Superman Returns IS Superman. Thats the major difference.

17. Scooter Registered

No battle, though I do disagree.

18. skruloos Registered

See... I'm not even a Wellingite or a fan of Smallville. I never said that Smallville was a good representation of Superman. All I said was that it was a representation of Superman. Does it have bad acting? Yes. Bad dialogue? A lot of times. Bad writing? Sure. But then again, there are many instances of Superman comics that have bad writing and dialogue. If quality determined Superman's worth to me, I'd cut out decades of comics.

Smallville is a reinterpetation of the mythos. You don't have to like it. It might be absolute crap. That doesn't mean it isn't Superman. It's just not your vision of Superman. But then agian, it was never meant to be. It was supposed to be a reinterpretation.

19. SuperDaniel Registered

AS i said...Smallville is poorly written. They got the characters right in some episodes. But theres a lot of filler episodes that ruins the whole experience. Stories that has nothing to do with Superman. And, the way i think, the 100 episode ruined everything. They shouldn`t have killed Jonathan Kent. That should`ve be something for the last season. Chloe shouldve be the one who died in the episode, not Lana. And because Chloe died, Clark should`ve told Lana the truth. Now, we`re back to square one with Lex and Lana dating in the future. Lame!!!

I repeat. Tom Welling will never be the Superman I know and the one who`s comming back in June!!

20. SuperDaniel Registered

But when a show totally destroys the character and his motivations, then its not even a reiterpretation of Superman anyomore. Its a Superman in name only.

21. skruloos Registered

Ding ding ding! Give the guy a prize! He's not supposed to be the Superman you know! He's a new version of a classic character!

22. SuperDaniel Registered

No. he is not even a version of the character. Oh hell...hes not even an actor...ahaha

23. skruloos Registered

Whether it "destroys" the character is debatable. Dramatic license is taken by the show in order to create dramatic stories that haven't been done in the comics. Otherwise, they're just regurgitating Superboy stories. If they played the show only within the boundaries of what you wanted, then it would be very limited in what it could do dramatically. They have to create their own mythology and set of melodramatic instances in order to sustain the show. Do I like it? No. But that's fine. I don't like everything in the comics either.

24. skruloos Registered

Come back when you're ready to actually have a debate and not just throwing inane insults.

25. SuperDaniel Registered

Read my big post on page 5. It shows how it destroys 2 very important characters of the Superman mythos.