Smoking bans: Good or Bad?

zeptron

Superhero
Reaction score
In Manitoba, people are adapting (I guess) to it. I think it's cool, except it, along with rising coasts of licings, helps keep the restaurants and bars empty. It's good for clean air, but not for business.

Even if you don't smoke, let's hear your thoughts!!

cigarettes should be illegal if any drug is.
If they're going to remain legal, (despite the fact that they are proven to kill more people than all the hard drugs combined and the fact that they are intentionally manufactured to be addictive), then you should be free, as a business owner, to have a smoking establishment if that's what you want.

No one's holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to patronize a smoke-filled restaurant, bar, etc.

thats spot on. non of this halkf asssed nonsece with smoking areas or smoking rooms. a venue should choose on or the other: smoking or non smoking. all staff will be aware, and all customers will be aware of it

I agree with what Wilhelm said, but I would like to add that it is stupid that tobacco companies must advertise against the product they sale.

No one can honestly say that they didn't know smoking was bad for them, and this includes the times in the 50's when they had flintstones selling winstons.

yes, but remember, and i say this as a part time smoker (I smoke when Im on holiday in another country. that way, i can dump them in the departure lounge and not worry), smoking is cool and helps improve your sex life.

I hate smokers that never consider non smokers and I really hate those that throw the butts to the ground, it's leaves a mess and clogs up storm drains(I used to work for the water department)

and smoking IS never cool. I have and know too many that died from smoking related illness

Morg said:
I hate smokers that never consider non smokers and I really hate those that throw the butts to the ground, it's leaves a mess and clogs up storm drains(I used to work for the water department)

and smoking IS never cool. I have and know too many that died from smoking related illness
Smoking can be cool if you find personal relaxation and comfort in the action. It can set you at ease in situations where you might otherwise appear less so. Plus, I think you meant to emphasise "never."

Aren't there some new smokeless chewless spitless tobacco things that look like a rectangle tea bag?

Calvin said:
Smoking can be cool if you find personal relaxation and comfort in the action. It can set you at ease in situations where you might otherwise appear less so. Plus, I think you meant to emphasise "never."

I have plenty of other ways to relaxe without doing harm to my body and btw Dana Reeves, she never smoked but died of smoker related disease so I hardly see that easing up those that don't smoke. I pity all those kids that have parents that smoke around them, later in their lives most will have some sort of smokers disease

Morg said:
I have plenty of other ways to relaxe without doing harm to my body and btw Dana Reeves, she never smoked but died of smoker related disease so I hardly see that easing up those that don't smoke. I pity all those kids that have parents that smoke around them, later in their lives most will have some sort of smokers disease
Everyone has plenty of ways, but often for smokers, smoking is the favorite way. I'm not a fan of rude smokers either though. I don't smoke in places I'm not supposed to, and if I'm around someone, I usually ask if they mind. If they do, I don't smoke.
Master Chief said:
Aren't there some new smokeless chewless spitless tobacco things that look like a rectangle tea bag?

I know they've got some cigarettes that reduce second hand smoke by 80%, but they're pretty pricey.

I'll never understand smokers, ever. I think we need to stop blaming the tobacco companies though; they're in this to make money. It's the smokers who are having their weakness(addiction) exploited by "Big Tobacco". I'm all for the cigarette ban.

Do you throw the butts away to the ground Calvin?

Morg said:
Do you throw the butts away to the ground Calvin?
Not if I can see a recepticle in sight.

Morg said:

Did you know that one the most carcinogenic substances is called benzene?
Its found in snouts. Its also a major ingredient in petrol (gas). Its in plastics,detergents, even in the bloody drinking water . banning smoking wont suddenly clear the world of "smoking related diseases". because, like a bunch of fools, we have built our world on one of the most nasty carcinogens there is.

Still, it helps the cars run.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_1_3X_Benzene.asp?sitearea=PED

Wilhelm-Scream said:
cigarettes should be illegal if any drug is.
If they're going to remain legal, (despite the fact that they are proven to kill more people than all the hard drugs combined and the fact that they are intentionally manufactured to be addictive), then you should be free, as a business owner, to have a smoking establishment if that's what you want.

No one's holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to patronize a smoke-filled restaurant, bar, etc.

They may not have been "holding a gun to anyone's head", but you were forced to patronize smoke-filled places simply because there were no "non-smoking" ones. I'm glad to see it, to be quite honest. It's time smokers stopped treating the world like their ashtray. Honestly, it really annoys me when I see a person in their car flick their ashes or butts out the window. They have an ashtray, why should I be forced to deal with their filth. Use the bloody ashtray already. Believe it or not, we've had grass fires start because these twits throw their butts out the window and it hits dry grass and ignites it.

By banning it from public places they are slowly taking the steps to make it illegal completely. This gives smokers a chance to break the addiction.

redmarvel said:
They may not have been "holding a gun to anyone's head", but you were forced to patronize smoke-filled places simply because there were no "non-smoking" ones.

haha, yeah you just have to patronize those smoke filled places like restaurants and bars. There are absolutely no others that have smoke free sections.

Go to a different place.:up:

Man-Thing said:
haha, yeah you just have to patronize those smoke filled places like restaurants and bars. There are absolutely no others that have smoke free sections.

Go to a different place.:up:

The way states are cracking down I wouldn't be surprised when more start making all bars and resturants smoke free, happen here and I'm glad. I hate eating and having to breath something smoke from the next booth

The beauties of a two faced government. They stop tobacco advertising. They ban smoking in bars. Next on the list will be all public places and then a total ban making smoking illegal. Now, how are they going to replace all the money they get from that duty tax on cigarettes? Non smokers, you will suffer from a ban too!

To say nothing of the quite facist like sections of the ban. I work in a bar, and next year when the ban starts, my boss won't be able to smoke in his home, located two floors up from the bar, even when it is closed, purely because it is in the same building. I'm all for smoking and non smoking licenses they way it should have been done, but an example like that is ludicrous!......

~†~§iX~†~ said:
The beauties of a two faced government. They stop tobacco advertising. They ban smoking in bars. Next on the list will be all public places and then a total ban making smoking illegal. Now, how are they going to replace all the money they get from that duty tax on cigarettes? Non smokers, you will suffer from a ban too!

To say nothing of the quite facist like sections of the ban. I work in a bar, and next year when the ban starts, my boss won't be able to smoke in his home, located two floors up from the bar, even when it is closed, purely because it is in the same building. I'm all for smoking and non smoking licenses they way it should have been done, but an example like that is ludicrous!......

Nah, the government will find others things to tax, like beer :( or junk food

Heh, still no money out of my pocket. When they jack up the tax on rum, that's when I got problems.

Good. If someone wants to contribute to lung cancer, go right ahead. But don't drag me into it while I'm eating and whatnot.

It will be money out of your pocket, because the huge amount of money made through tax on tobacco will have to be spread out onto several other means to still make it. My best guess would be duty on alcohol, fuel and income tax. Believe me, those increases will be steep if they want to keep the same income whilst having a smoing ban!......

Master Chief said:

No, I doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"