Snikt! Wolverine's Box Office Predictions

It's so pathetic to think about how much more money this thing could have made had it been a really good movie. It could have easily doubled it's domestic gross and done even better worldwide. This movie could have easily made 600-700 million worldwide. But, that would be too hard for Fox to do. I also don't want Jackman producing the next one or having any say in what his character does. Then, we might be back into great movie territory and it really raking in the big bucks.

Not sure it's as simple as that. Most people seem to say TF: RoTF was a pile of poop yet look what it made worldwide.

And look at Star Trek - very good reviews, yet it didn't do much more than Wolverine (quite a bit more in the USA, but not overall).

I agree, though, that Jackman shouldn't have any real say in the character.

Wolverine could have done with more animalistic hack/slash...

I hated Transformers 2 too. One of the worse movies I have seen in a long time. Needless to say I was restless in that theatre early in the movie's running time. *ugh*

Not sure it's as simple as that. Most people seem to say TF: RoTF was a pile of poop yet look what it made worldwide.

And look at Star Trek - very good reviews, yet it didn't do much more than Wolverine (quite a bit more in the USA, but not overall).

I agree, though, that Jackman shouldn't have any real say in the character.

Wolverine could have done with more animalistic hack/slash...
Transformers and Star Trek really have nothing to do with Wolverine's box office. TF2 was bad but it beat the pants off of Wolverine in the action and fx dept. Star Trek was amazing and it deserved all the praise it got. But, this summer was filled with a bunch of mediocre blockbuster movies. This summer as a whole was pretty bad.

That said, X-Men Origins: Wolverine barely beat X1's box office, by only about $20 million domestically. That is horrible. When adjusted for inflation, it lost to it. Wolverine was even in 1,000 more theatres! What does that say? When a movie staring Wolverine, the star of the X-Men, cannot even muster up enough box office pull to beat the first movie of the series that was released 9 years ago, something is up. That says two things to me, that says that this movie was mediocre and bad word of mouth got around and people didn't see it more than once. Or, it could be that the X-Men have lost their appeal to American audiences and they no longer want to see X-Men/Superhero movie. I have to believe the former.

This movie underperformed. Sure it made a profit, a lot of movies do. It was enough to warrant a sequel and Fox will keep churning these out until they lose money. As a fan, that is kind of depressing. This series will continue to spiral downhill unless something is done. My hopes for Wolverine 2 are that a good no nonsense director is hired with a good team of writers. That is the only hope I have left in this series.

Transformers and Star Trek really have nothing to do with Wolverine's box office. TF2 was bad but it beat the pants off of Wolverine in the action and fx dept. Star Trek was amazing and it deserved all the praise it got. But, this summer was filled with a bunch of mediocre blockbuster movies. This summer as a whole was pretty bad.

That said, X-Men Origins: Wolverine barely beat X1's box office, by only about $20 million domestically. That is horrible. When adjusted for inflation, it lost to it. Wolverine was even in 1,000 more theatres! What does that say? When a movie staring Wolverine, the star of the X-Men, cannot even muster up enough box office pull to beat the first movie of the series that was released 9 years ago, something is up. That says two things to me, that says that this movie was mediocre and bad word of mouth got around and people didn't see it more than once. Or, it could be that the X-Men have lost their appeal to American audiences and they no longer want to see X-Men/Superhero movie. I have to believe the former.

This movie underperformed. Sure it made a profit, a lot of movies do. It was enough to warrant a sequel and Fox will keep churning these out until they lose money. As a fan, that is kind of depressing. This series will continue to spiral downhill unless something is done. My hopes for Wolverine 2 are that a good no nonsense director is hired with a good team of writers. That is the only hope I have left in this series.
I like X-Maniac but regarding this subject, I'm pretty much done talking to him.

His anger about how overrated he finds Star Trek (which is a perfectly reasonable opinion to have) has clouded his judgement when he talks about it's boxoffice and how it was received.

The fact is, Wolverine was not a beloved movie by the public and Star Trek was far more liked than it. Wolverine is a disappointment in everyway to most people.

Were Trek's international numbers awesome? No but they were good for a Star Trek movie. It only takes a visit to boxoffice mojo to see that Star Trek movies have never done 300mil overseas.

I expect the next Trek to get more overseas eyeballs but I don't expect to in anyway match the huge numbers it's going to do domestically. Some flicks are like that. Hell, TDK made 530mil domestically and still couldn't manage to beat Spider-Man 3's overseas gross. It's just ridiculous that it could atleast match it's domestic gross or come within 50mil of it. Don't get me wrong it did amazingly but it's still strange seeing as how the flick almost reached Titantic levels in the states.

The next Star Trek will see growth in it's boxoffice numbers. The next Wolverine movie will see a decrease. A decrease isn't the end of the world if your movie made 400 or 300mil but it is when it only made 180mil.

After X3 and Wolverine I believe the highs of this franchise are behind it unless Fox has something special up it's marketing sleeve for the next installment.

I think the sheer amount of movies affected Wolverines and Star Treks box office too.

Instead of people going to multiple viewings for instance, they'd go see Wolverine one week, then the next week Star Trek, then the next week Night at the Museum/Terminator etc.

Because that May to June period was so clogged people had more choice, thusly, less chance of going to another viewing of the same film.

I like X-Maniac but regarding this subject, I'm pretty much done talking to him.

His anger about how overrated he finds Star Trek (which is a perfectly reasonable opinion to have) has clouded his judgement when he talks about it's boxoffice and how it was received.

I'm not 'angry' about it, so I don't know where you are getting that from. Why are you making things up? Why are you assuming how I feel?

I'm just trying to keep it real on here. Star Trek was a very good reinvigoration of the franchise - I saw it twice, once on a normal screen, once in IMAX - but regardless of anything else, it did a box office total of $385million worldwide. Wolverine did $373million.

A lot of films are over-hyped and Star Trek was among them. They were apparently writing a sequel before it had even been released but in the most recent interview, they haven't even started writing anything.

I really don't care if you are done talking with me or not. It's just not important. It's never been a vital part of coming on here that you talk to me.

I'm just trying to keep it real. Sometimes people need realities pointing out to them, especially on here.

You make some interesting points and I agree with some of them.

I expected Star Trek to do a lot better at the box office, given the reviews and the opening weekend and the availability of it in IMAX. So the final total does surprise me.

I also thought Wolverine would do better but I wasn't sure how much the leaked workprint would hit it; personally, I wasn't sure it would do as much as X3 which had stronger themes and a more dramatic presentation.

I pretty much expected the box office total for Terminator which is a strong franchise but had poor reviews/word for this latest movie.

What the studios think of the figures for those films, I don't know.

If there was a magic box office formula of X+Y = $600m+ box office, then all studios probably would follow it.

But we analyse mainly in hindsight, rationalising and coming up with our own explanations.

^I said I was done talking to you about this subject and I am done. If you want to chat about something else feel free to do so.

^I said I was done talking to you about this subject and I am done. If you want to chat about something else feel free to do so.

Okay, that's good then. :yay:

I wouldn't want petty disputes and melodramas, even if we totally disagree. Life's too short!

Okay, that's good then. :yay:

I wouldn't want petty disputes and melodramas, even if we totally disagree. Life's too short!
Exactly. Sometimes people disagree on s**t.

I still read and like your blog and you. Eventhough I can never remember the name of it and always just excess it through your sig.

I apreciate you and anybody else coming at comicbook movie news without fanboy colored glasses. Fanboys forget reality and often have to be knocked back into it.

S**t, thats why I read (and once wrote for) Jamie's site that I'm pimping in my avatar. I'm just the type of person who avoids subjects when I disagree with somebody on them. Contrary to what some on here seem to think, I perfer nicities to arguements.

You know that part in the movie when Wolverine says against Stryker
"I'm coming for blood, no code of conduct, no law"
Well people expect to see blood! Hack & Slash, Sabretooth pierced straight through Wraiths body and no blood! Since when do Mutants have no blood?
Also 3 times Wolverine vs Sabretooth is one time too much. One match OK, a re-match OK but a third time... Despite it's plotholes etc. i really liked the Helicopter scène, Weapon X escape and even the fight against Barakapool.
I read a time ago they intended to make a R-film but i think it was the studio that decided not to, too bad...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"