Snikt! Wolverine's Box Office Predictions

Worldwide, it could still be very close between Wolverine and Star Trek.
Star Trek is at around $380m with maybe $4-5m to go in the domestic box office. Wolverine is at $364m plus maybe $10-20m from Japan (X-Men films took $17m, $15m and $13m).

Star Trek would make good money in the US. And do nothing special outside of it.

Whilst Wolverine would have about even numbers US and International.

Meh, I don't buy that.

Considering that both Star Trek and Wolverine are AMERICAN sci-fi/fantasy creations, the majority of their money should be made here (since their core audience base is here, no?). Interestingly enough, Trek was coming off of decades of lackluster films and WOM, and still triumphed. What is Wolverine's excuse?

Slice it or dice however you wish, Wolverine underperformed here. I don't understand why people refuse to admit that...especially considering how well less-known Marvel heroes have done recently (i.e. Iron Man).

I never said Wolverine didn't underperform in the US.

I simply said it did about the same both US and International. Whereas Star Trek did well US but not impressive at all International. That's how I thought it would go ages ago. But I thought Wolverine would do a little better US to be honest. But then by looking at Treks numbers it's apparent the US was more interested in Trek than Wolverine, maybe waiting for Trek and not just going out to Wolverine because it was the first movie of the summer.

I never said Wolverine didn't underperform in the US.

I simply said it did about the same both US and International. Whereas Star Trek did well US but not impressive at all International. That's how I thought it would go ages ago. But I thought Wolverine would do a little better US to be honest. But then by looking at Treks numbers it's apparent the US was more interested in Trek than Wolverine, maybe waiting for Trek and not just going out to Wolverine because it was the first movie of the summer.

Perhaps.

I think for the public a big factor was the critical reviews. I know that discouraged some people I personally know. They were like, "Well, I'll just save my money for next weekend." Ironically, none of them saw the leaked footage, so their decision was not biased by that.

Oh yea there is that as well of course.

I think a lot of the people who were undecided about which to see, in the end saw Trek simply because it got better reviews.

Whilst I also think Trek had a bigger following in the US as well. Or had more people anticipating it over Wolverine in the US is a better way of putting it.

It's also following a 3rd film that received a pretty mixed reaction. On other forums I read, a lot of people who hadn't seen it yet were holding out to hear what others thought because they didn't like X3.

However, the 2-1/2 hours of noise that was Transformers 2 just outgrossed ROTK to become the 10th-highest-grossing film of all time - which is just proof that audiences don't always get it right either. :cwink:

It's also following a 3rd film that received a pretty mixed reaction. On other forums I read, a lot of people who hadn't seen it yet were holding out to hear what others thought because they didn't like X3.

However, the 2-1/2 hours of noise that was Transformers 2 just outgrossed ROTK to become the 10th-highest-grossing film of all time - which is just proof that audiences don't always get it right either. :cwink:

Soooo true. :up:

I personally loved TF2, i would take it over Wolverine anyday, I thought it was much better than Wolverine.

:wow::wow: WTF?

I don't see a need to 'thumbs down' anyone else's opinion, venom.

Wolverine is doing very well at the box office in Japan where it was released on 9/11.

20 September, 2009

(500) Days Of Summer grossed $1.1m in Australia from 226 screens to rank third and kept things ticking along in the UK, where it has taken $5.1m. Aliens In The Attic stands at $25.5m, while X-Men Origins: Wolverine crossed $190m following a strong second weekend in Japan that saw it add $929,595 from 514 for $5.1m.
http://www.screendaily.com/news/up-flies-high-overseas-for-disney-as-200m-beckons/5005891.article

It also proves that the 'power' of critics has waned. TF:ROTF proved that big time. Never had Rotten Tomatoes seemed so utterly irrelevant!

I think many people just make up their own minds based on the subject matter of the film, the genre, the stars who are in it.

Some do listen to critics, they may be guided by a particular critic if that person has mirrored their views on films they've seen in the past.

^I think more $372, its domestic and foriegn runs are basically done other than Japan, so dont see it making another $4 million or so, but we'll see.

Its run is about over...I really don't see it squeezing out much more $$$.

It's so pathetic to think about how much more money this thing could have made had it been a really good movie. It could have easily doubled it's domestic gross and done even better worldwide. This movie could have easily made 600-700 million worldwide. But, that would be too hard for Fox to do. I also don't want Jackman producing the next one or having any say in what his character does. Then, we might be back into great movie territory and it really raking in the big bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"