May Box Office Predictions

narrows101 said:
MI3 results - $48M. I think it did better than Kingdom of Heaven last year but Van Helsing the year before did $51M. $48 is not a good number for premiering on over 4,000 screens. It will be interesting to see how it fares against Poseidon next weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III

Friday: $16,600,000

Saturday: $18,400,000

Sunday: $13,025,000
I heard MI3 is the best one yet, thanks to JJ :up: but I haven't seen it yet. I gotta admit Crazy Tom was one of the main reasons I didn't go see it this weekend, but after reading some good reviews I might go on Wednesday, when it's cheaper. :p Plus, I was kinda expecting this movie not to have a huge opening weekend result.

narrows101 said:
Here's a comparison to Van Helsing (since I'm a Hugh fan I followed all the news on that one).

MI3 opened to $48M. Van Helsing $51M.

MI3 budget without marketing: $150M
VH budget was $160M with $50M for marketing

Van Helsing's final domestic gross was $120M. It's worldwide gross was $300M. It was considered a disappointment because the domestic number was under its production budget, even though the final total was $300M.

So it will be interesting to see how it all plays out with MI3.

I don't think those two movies should be compared at all. There are a few things to consider here.

1) Reviews - VH got 22% on the tomatometer where as M:I 3 has got 72% with most average people enjoying the movie.

2) The first M:I film made around 180 million domestically and 275 million internationally. The second M:I film made around 215 million domestically with 330 million internationally. So let's say M:I 3 gets inbetween those with 300 million internationally, add that to let's say 140 million domestically and that's still 440 million worldwide which is considered a hit and will spark another sequel. VH only got 180 million internationally, nothing to sneeze at but no where near the M:I films.

3) I think word-of-mouth will be better with M:I 3 than VH, which could get it to at least have a 3.1 multiplier so it can reach 150 million domestically. VH had horrible word-of-mouth which is why it barely got past a multiplier of 2.

I think M:I 3 will be more like Batman Begins than VH

MJB said:
The rabid Broke Shield fans not going to see this movie is the reason for the lower take? Please don't make me laugh.

Quote of the day. :D

I actually can't think of a reason why MI:III is apparently gonna have an opening just shy of $50 Mil. Even freaking Scooby Doo did $50 Mil type numbers. I remember coz this pi$$ed me off how a Freddie Prinze Jr/SMJ movie could come close to X-men 1's numbers. Throw in 8 Mile as well. :down

Here's hoping this isn't a trend. :mad:

MI: III was definitely the best movie of the franchise. And i'm not a big JJ abrams fan but this movie makes me want to atleast check out some of his shows (i haven't bothered to see any of it).

JJ Abrams is a very imaginative guy. Lost and Alias are two of the best shows out there. That's why I hope M:I 3 has Batman Begin type of legs. If it starts dropping like BB, then it could reach as high as 180 million which would be fantastic for a sequel that should have been made around 3 years ago.

Downhere said:
JJ Abrams is a very imaginative guy. Lost and Alias are two of the best shows out there.
A friend just told me MI3 is almost an Alias ripoff, in a good way. JJ can be great, Alias was one of my favorite tv shows ever (before it went downhill).

Yeah there were a couple of parts that were like Alias and one part that was straight out of Lost, but it didn't hurt the film.

There are just some shows i just don't bother checking out. Mostly because i think they're overrated. Lost and Alias are two of them.

That said, i'll most probably rent it at work then...

I've come to the conclusion that we can't use the box office figures for this and the next two weeks as any indication of how well X3 will do. There's really no way of telling if disappointing figures are part of a general trend or just down to lack of interest in a particular film.

MI3: this has a lot of competition from home viewing. You can rent Alias, the MI tv series, the Bourne and Bond films. It may have good reviews but it sounds like more of the same.

Poseiden: It's been a while since we has a disaster movie, and the old ones (including The Poseiden Adventure) look very dated. So not much competition but is there a demand?

The Da Vinci Code : who knows? Not many films like this, but maybe people would rather read a book? I can't see many people bothering to see it more than once and I can't understand why anyone who's read the book would bother to see the movie. But there will be many people who'll see the film so they don't have to bother with the book.

X3: It's a continuation rather than reworking the same theme. I think people will see it to find out what happens next. More accessible than the comics which are the only real alternative. The big risk is if it gets bad buzz.

It hasn't been that long since we had a Disaster movie...i.e. The Day After Tomorrow.

I don't expect Poseidon to fare over 200m domestically...I expect the same from MI3...

-TNC

X3's biggest competition is the Davinci Code!!! I think the opening weekends are going to be inpredictable for these 2 movies!!!

RagingTempest said:
X3's biggest competition is the Davinci Code!!! I think the opening weekends are going to be inpredictable for these 2 movies!!!

I would have to agree with that.

I'm very worried about Over The Hedge. You say what happened with Ice Age 2. :o

http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/column/index.cfm?columnID=9551

Mission: Impossible 3 Flop Rocks Box Office
Weekend Box Office Wrap-Up for May 5-7, 2006
By John Hamann
May 7, 2006

Just when the box office was starting to roll, trying to shed its image of troubled times and an industry in turmoil, that turmoil is back in a big way due to a stunning disappointment in Tom Cruise and his Mission: Impossible III. Once upon a time, the first weekend in May was big business for studios, but now with expensive disappointments over consecutive years, scheduling may have to take another look. Tom Cruise has had some May success in the past, but never this early in the fifth month, and never with him carrying this much baggage.

Let's get straight to it: Mission: Impossible III opened to only $48 million from a stupidly large (like you are fired large) venue count of 4,054. Empty venues abound, MI3 ended the weekend with a venue average of $11,846, well off the $15,000ish averages the first two films enjoyed. It started Friday somewhere between $16.5 and $17 million, which gives it a weekend multiplier of about 2.9, which is an okay figure, but not a good indication of legs. For Cruise, this is not a good result. Last year's War of the Worlds opened on the questionable side ($64.9 million for a Cruise/Spielberg picture with HUGE awareness and cross-demographic audience) as did The Last Samurai ($24.3 million).Where has Tom gone wrong? Ego and image? Religious overhangings? Katie? Couch jumping? Need I go on? Just like Howard Dean, going a little nutso has cost him the campaign. Mission: Impossible II opened $10 million higher than this at $57.8 million (six years ago), and the first installment opened to $45.4 million ten years ago. The killer point to this is that both of those films opened on a Wednesday, so the must-see-it-first audience had already seen it once the weekend rolled around, dulling its Friday-to-Sunday audience. Someone at Paramount is crying.

Adjusted for inflation, the first Mission: Impossible would have come in at $62 million in today's dollars, and MI2 would have seen $64.7 million today, which indicates to me that Paramount was looking for a $60 million opening. Want more? In May 2003, the second X-men film opened to $85.6 million (starring really no one except the franchise, Halle Berry and Hugh Jackman). Over the same weekend in 2002, Spider-Man, racked up twice as much as MI3, coming in at about $115 million. The Mission: Impossible III opening ranks 18th all time for May, a ranking that is just awful for a film with this kind of pedigree. The production budget is somewhere between $150 and $200 million (not including that stupid amount of prints), so just to meet that $200 million figure this one has to have an opening weekend-to-domestic total multiplier of 4.2. Mission: Impossible II (a film with not so great word-of-mouth) had a opening-to-total multiplier of 3.7, and the first carried a solid 4.0. While this may sound good, sequels and films that are perceived as flops have more questionable multipliers, as will most likely be the case with MI3. Again, don't get me wrong, this film will still be a huge moneymaker for the studio once international markets and home video are counted. The best way to look at it is this: think of yourself going to work with the expectation of being paid $100. Once you get your paycheck, the amount is $75 – are you happy?

While opening a Mission: Impossible film with 4,054 venues may seem like a good idea on paper, it is actually quite the opposite. With this opening, some theaters on the continent may have been 25% full at best. Word-of-mouth comes from the moviegoing experience, where you are in a dark room full of strangers, sharing that experience. The crowd can pull you into a movie, making you like it more, and making you talk about it more. Think of one of the first three Star Wars films. Can you remember that theater experience? Was it busy? Paramount will have trouble maintaining an audience next weekend as its total availability and its awareness meant that anybody who wanted to see it this weekend could have.

My last point on MI3 will be its reviews and the impact they had. While reviews were on the good side, I think they also may have had an impact on the opening weekend. Many talked MI3 up as an action movie with lots of dialogue and romance, something this audience doesn't want to see. Of the 143 reviews counted at RottenTomatoes, 103 were positive, leaving it with a fresh rating of 72%. The second Mission: Impossible was not as fresh coming at 58%. War of the Worlds and MI3 were both good films, but perhaps they should have opened on opposite dates.

After all that, there is little good news in the rest of the top ten. The number two film this weekend is RV, which actually held better than expected this weekend. The Robin Williams vacation comedy grossed $11.1 million from 3,651 venues, which equals a weekend to weekend drop of 32%. RV shows that its family-oriented comedy (like classics such as Cheaper by the Dozen and Yours, Mine and Ours) prove to be excellent counter-programming during the summer. RV now has $31 million in the domestic kitty versus a budget of about $50 million.

An American Haunting slides under the radar and opens in third this weekend; however, despite its ranking, the gross is only so-so. An American Haunting opened this weekend to $6.4 million from only 1,668 venues. That gives it a decent venue average of $3,824 and provides an okay debut for upstart distributor Freestyle Releasing, as this one cost only $15 million to make.

Fourth spot goes to Stick It, which debuted last weekend with an okay score of $10.8 million. The result this weekend isn't as good, as Stick It grossed $5.5 million this weekend and dropped 49%. So far, the Jeff Bridges film has earned $18 million for Buena Vista.

Surprisingly well back in fifth is United 93, a film that was released too soon (much like Mission: Impossible III). United 93 grossed $5.2 million this weekend, down a wild 55% from last weekend. Good counter-programming or not, this is a film that the North American continent just wasn't ready for. The gross for Universal now stands at $20.1 million.

The rest of the top ten was a disaster, with four films finishing with $600,000 of each other. Ice Age 2 sneaks into sixth this weekend, actually up a spot from last weekend, but way down in terms of gross (not a good sign for the box office). The Meltdown grossed $4 million this weekend and was off 45% from the previous frame. The gross now for the Fox Animated product sits at $183.3 million.

Silent Hill finished seventh this weekend, as it continues to get hammered since its debut only three weekends ago. Silent Hill grossed $3.9 million this weekend, down a nasty 58%. It now sits with $40.8 million after opening to $20.2 million.

Scary Movie 4, which had fun lampooning Tom Cruise and opened within $8 million of MI3, grossed $3.8 million this weekend. The spoof was off 52% and now has a gross of $83.7 million.

Akeelah and the Bee finishes ninth this weekend, as what at least sounds like a good film fails to find an audience. Akeelah grossed $3.4 million this weekend, down a larger than expected 43%. Akeelah now has $10.7 million in the domestic kitty after two weekends of release. Why it didn't start as limited release, I'll never know.

Hoot, the new film made for a slim $15 million (the cost of its prints would have been twice as much) also tumbled hard in its debut this weekend. From Narnia's Walden Media, Hoot didn't get off to a great start, but at least the budget isn't in line with Walden's Around the World in 80 Days. Hoot, a kids flick, earned $3.4 million this weekend from a ridiculous 3,018 venues, giving this opener one of the most dreadful averages I've seen in a very long time at $1,126. While gone in the next frame, this opening will be an embarrassing story for New Line and Walden for at least two weekends, as it will hold its venue count next weekend.

Overall, numbers are up over last year, but the feeling of dread continues. The top ten for this year's frame pulled in $94.7 million, but last year was worse with a top ten that grossed a brutal $76.1 million. At least the next few of weekends hold exceptional promise with X-Men 3 and The Da Vinci Code opening soon.

Yeah...MI3 didn't do as well as I had originally expected...I'm not sure why this is,...

I'm just hoping that Poseidon, Da Vinci, and especially X3 don't become victims of this box office slump..

-TNC

The public is really tired of Tom Cruise, plain and simple. The only reason War of the Worlds did well is because of the story and because of Spielberg (even thought that movie was awful).

TNC9852002 said:
Yeah...MI3 didn't do as well as I had originally expected...I'm not sure why this is,...

I'm just hoping that Poseidon, Da Vinci, and especially X3 won't become victims of this box office slump..

-TNC

I doubt X3 will fall victim. Every person I've talked to about the trailer seems really excited for it, so it that's any kind of indication of what's to come, X3 could be really huge.

WorthyStevens4 said:
I doubt X3 will fall victim. Every person I've talked to about the trailer seems really excited for it, so it that's any kind of indication of what's to come, X3 could be really huge.
Yeah, me too I was tlaking to people about it just yesterday, and they are really pumped, they aren't even huge fans. Now, I'm kinda poed, I think my local Regal might have bailed on the midnight premire.:mad: This means if the site is wrong, I should call and check.

MI3 did bad because Tom Cruise is a psycho, and we all know it.

I'm hoiping X3 will do what FF did, and open with the biggest opening week for a while. I mean X3 has a lot more hype than FF!!!

I'm just hoping that my local theator comes to its senses and gets the midnight premire, it has had it for GoF, RoTS, two big movies, and then X3 possibly the biggest, one of the biggest, movies of the summer, and it doesn't have it listed.

Our theater had early night showings for MI3 and will have early showings for Poseidon, Da Vinci Code, X3, and probably POTC2 and of course, SR..

-TNC

More analysis of the weekend:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2061&p=.htm

'Mission: Impossible III' Doesn't Thrill in Debut
by Brandon Gray
May 7, 2006

This franchise will self-destruct in three movies.

Count Tom Cruise's Mission: Impossible among the mega-movie series that faltered by the third outing, joining Beverly Hills Cop, The Matrix and The Terminator among others.

Mission: Impossible III detonated with an estimated $48 million, below such other recent spy pictures as The Bourne Supremacy and Mr. & Mrs. Smith. At 4,054 theaters, the $150 million action spectacle had the fourth widest launch ever but did not achieve a commensurate height in box office, trailing its predecessors by a wide margin in terms of attendance.

Released ten years ago, the first Mission: Impossible's $45.4 million opening weekend would equal around $67 million today, adjusted for ticket price inflation, while the second's $57.8 million from 2000 would be about $70 million. To be fair, both bowed on Memorial Day weekend when Sunday is as potent as Saturday, but both also burnt off demand with Wednesday debuts. Mission I went on to gross $181 million, or $266 million adjusted, and Mission II did $215.4 million, or $260 million adjusted.

According to distributor Paramount Pictures' exit polling, Mission: Impossible III's demographic breakdown was identical to the previous movies, with 64 percent of the audience over 25 years old and 56 percent male.

Prior to the weekend, a Paramount spokesperson suggested an opening between Mission: Impossible II and War of the Worlds ($64.9 million) as the bar for Mission: Impossible III's success, compared to media and industry expectations that had ballooned past $70 million. On Sunday morning, a hopeful Paramount likened Mission: Impossible III's potential to Batman Begins, which had a weaker-than-expected $48.7 million first weekend but went on to earn $205.3 million. Both sprung from dormant franchises with baggage—Batman and Robin for the latter and Cruise's overblown off-screen antics in Mission's case.

Waiting more than a few years to produce a sequel is always risky business in franchise movie-making. For every Bad Boys II, there's a Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines or a Legend of Zorro. What's more, the first two Mission: Impossibles were ephemeral thrill rides, not movies that many continued to love through the years, and they didn't establish compelling characters beyond Cruise's star power, like a James Bond, Jack Ryan or Jason Bourne.

Aside from a number of random action shots, like a rocket exploding behind running man Tom Cruise on a bridge, Mission: Impossible III lacked the strong hook and sense of fun of its predecessors in its presentation to the public, which was far more damaging than anything Cruise did in his press campaign. After all, the centerpiece of the teaser and trailer was co-star Philip Seymour Hoffman threatening to torture and kill Cruise and his girlfriend—Cruise seethes in response and then performs a blur of stunts without ever uttering a word. The proceedings looked as generic as the movie's tagline, "The Mission Begins 05:05:06," leaving it to composer Lalo Schifrin's theme music from the original Mission: Impossible television series to add the excitement.

On the bright side, Mission: Impossible III will likely extend Cruise's $100 million streak to seven—beginning with Mission: Impossible II, his last six pictures have grossed over $100 million each at the domestic box office alone. Internationally, Cruise is an even bigger draw, evidenced by the additional $70 million that Mission: Impossible III generated overseas in its first five days. That all speaks to how consistently well-packaged Cruise's pictures have been, from concept to director to co-stars, which is why people who say they don't like Cruise still often like his movies.

As a summer kick-off, Mission: Impossible III was softer than most in the past decade, but it did top the openings of last year's Kingdom of Heaven and House of Wax combined. It also not likely to derail 2006's momentum—Summer 2004 was initially underwhelming, with relatively modest bows from Van Helsing and Troy, but it ended up the highest-grossing summer on record, led by Shrek 2 and Spider-Man 2.

Also debuting, the first wide release from Freestyle Releasing, the $14 million period horror, An American Haunting, captured an estimated $6.4 million at 1,668 venues. The bullish distributor reported that three quarters of moviegoers were less than 25 years old.

Meanwhile, Walden Media's latest children's book adaptation following pictures like Holes and Because of Winn-Dixie, the environmentalism-themed Hoot uprooted a mere estimated $3.4 million at 3,018 theaters—the weakest opening ever for a movie playing at over 3,000 theaters.

Among holdovers, last weekend's hot topic, United 93, descended 55 percent to an estimated $5.2 million, despite moviegoers rating it highly in distributor Universal Pictures' opening weekend exit surveys. The $15 million Sept. 11, 2001 recreation has collected $20.1 million in 10 days.

has anybody seen the box office prediction in comingsoon.net? x3 is at the 5th spot... SR i think is at the third spot. i can not believe it either. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"