The Dark Knight So Has Anyone Here Read The Dark Knight Novel? (Huge Spoilers here)

Toxin72 thanks for the info. Do you know if he posted more info or could you give a link to his topic. I can't find it back at IMDB because of all those idotic people that keep posting $hit and pollute the forums.

I really don't understand why people come on a spoiler thread, and yell at other people for wanting to read them. Having heard and read just about every spoiler out there, I can safely say that I am even more excited then when i knew nothing, because even though i know whats going to happen, I still dont have the visuals and dont know how everything is going to play out. Nothing can take away from the expirience of this and im sure 90% of the people on the SPOILER forum would agree. So long story short, hush and go back to non spoiler forums and stop whining.

Thank you. You dont agree with spoilers, do not read them. You dont agree? Fine. But for someone to preach into a hot spoiler topic and complain about other people's choices like that is really silly to me. So you dont read spoilers, good for you, but dont try and push your hang ups on other people who can handle it better than you could and know their limitations. If they spoil themselves, than they spoiled themselves.

Man, I'm really starting to think spoiler boards need to come with instructions.

this thread needs MOAR SPOILERS!

Sigh....I expect posts like this from idiot newbs....youve been here five years...you really should know better

I was not baiting; I was asking a legitimate question.

Yet very few people were able to explain WHY they wanted to eliminate every single surprise of the film by reading the novelization before the actual movie was out. Yep, spoilers and clips and plot details are fun; they're like appetizers before the main course, and I've enjoyed them as much as anyone.

But I wanted to ask, again, because I genuinely wanted to know: why would someone want to read a (usually) crappy novelization of an incredibly-anticipated film one week before the film comes out? Why not simply wait, and read the novel right after, to see if it deviated at all from the original script, or to see how the story works in print? Since the #1 thing you've been anticipating for 3 years is a FILM, why spoil every single plot detail for yourself with just one week to go?

That's a legitimate question, not a troll, yet some people seem to think that I have no right to ask it in a "spoiler forum!" Nonsense.

Here's the difference (re: the "follow the filmmaking process" explanation): novelizations almost always are note-for-note retellings of the film's script, so it's always going to be a pale imitation of the film -- not the reverse. If a Batman film were made from an existing source (someone mentioned the LOTR books into films), then I could understand it better. For instance, if Nolan's 3rd "Batman" film was announced to be a direct version of "The Long Halloween," then I could definitely see justification for reading the source material long before the film. (And yeah, I'd certainly be inclined to do it myself, if the original book were highly-regarded, like LOTR, Silence of the Lambs, No Country for Old Men, etc.)

It's a simple question about anticipation and psychology, guys, so don't get upset that I asked. I simply wanted to know WHY some people might want to take the chance that they would actually damage their own enjoyment one week before the movie opened, as some people said happened to them with "Batman Begins" and its spoilers (especially the leaked script.)

Your mileage may vary, of course.

-- Admiral Nelson

Can someone post the quote of The Joker talking about Madness to Batman while he is hanging upside down? The whole thing please? Would be appreciated.

So, you guys want to know every single aspect of the film BEFORE you see it?

I'm absolutely mystified by this mentality. It's as if some people are so incapable of experiencing something completely fresh, and new, and RAW, that they need to know exactly what they're getting into BEFORE they experience it, because... well, they simply cannot wait for surprises, and have no ability whatsoever to delay their gratification.

For those people who've read every single spoiler, and read the novel, and watched all the clips a million times, and want to "pre-experience" as much of the film before you actually see the damn thing... I'm wondering how many of you will end up being disappointed, because, well, there was nothing left to surprise you.

(And don't tell me you won't be; there were various people here three years ago who spoiled everything about "Batman Begins" for themselves -- including reading the leaked script -- and were sad that they didn't enjoy the film as much as others who'd had some semblance of self-control.)

-- Admiral Nelson

I'm sorry but, I was spoiled for spiderman, spiderman 2, x-men, batman begins, and a lot more movie in these boards, and to know it before or after, become the same after all, cause when a person will go see the dark knight without knowing anything, and love it, he will go see it twice ou 3 times and will even buy it when it goes on store, so to watch it over and over before or after or during create the same feeling, but us will go see it like third time in theater, will go see others spoilers on other movies and will buy TDK when it goes out and listen to it as many times as everyone who loved it.

i understand your point, your like my grand brother, but to us, it is just to imagine it before we see it. To see the difference viewing between us and the director, the actor. We're getting spoiled because we know the risks. the ones who don't know will realise it in theater!

Yet very few people were able to explain WHY they wanted to eliminate every single surprise of the film by reading the novelization before the actual movie was out. Yep, spoilers and clips and plot details are fun; they're like appetizers before the main course, and I've enjoyed them as much as anyone.

But I wanted to ask, again, because I genuinely wanted to know: why would someone want to read a (usually) crappy novelization of an incredibly-anticipated film one week before the film comes out? Why not simply wait, and read the novel right after, to see if it deviated at all from the original script, or to see how the story works in print? Since the #1 thing you've been anticipating for 3 years is a FILM, why spoil every single plot detail for yourself with just one week to go?

That's a legitimate question, not a troll, yet some people seem to think that I have no right to ask it in a "spoiler forum!" Nonsense.

Here's the difference (re: the "follow the filmmaking process" explanation): novelizations almost always are note-for-note retellings of the film's script, so it's always going to be a pale imitation of the film -- not the reverse. If a Batman film were made from an existing source (someone mentioned the LOTR books into films), then I could understand it better. For instance, if Nolan's 3rd "Batman" film was announced to be a direct version of "The Long Halloween," then I could definitely see justification for reading the source material long before the film. (And yeah, I'd certainly be inclined to do it myself, if the original book were highly-regarded, like LOTR, Silence of the Lambs, No Country for Old Men, etc.)

It's a simple question about anticipation and psychology, guys, so don't get upset that I asked. I simply wanted to know WHY some people might want to take the chance that they would actually damage their own enjoyment one week before the movie opened, as some people said happened to them with "Batman Begins" and its spoilers (especially the leaked script.)

-- Admiral Nelson

Spoilers don't necessarily ruin a movie. Like a lot of people, I read the script for Begins months before its release and the beauty was in seeing how Nolan brought it to life. The plot is only a portion of any film. So much revolves around the way it is directed, filmed, and acted. The slightest nuance in the performance of a single scene can change the way you feel about a character or event for the rest of the film. It could change the entire tone of the film. Even having read the Begins script, I was able to go into the theater and say, "Wow, that's completely opposite of how I pictured that happening." or "Hmm...interesting but subtle choice, [insert actor]." Hell, if plot and dialogue were all that made a movie, we wouldn't need actors or directors at all. We could just have computers generate the entire performance based on a script. I just wish the script had leaked for this one.

-- Admiral Nelson

hmm well if your just curious I guess its not so bad just dont bad mouth...... it says more about you in the long run... < Im saying that as a friend... Well for me Its liek like waiting or Marriage to have sex... some people do it and are still dissappointed... some people have sex when they are 13 and think this is awesome and have sex over and over again... I always spoil movies for myself, I dont mind it like reading baout sex before having it, you got a better feel of the jist of it and still Im going to see this movie over and over again just like I refresh my memory about the spoilers by re reading them..... my point is it all goes back to sex... have you ever had sex?

Admiral Nelson, would you mind moving your discussion to a different thread? I think Nathan Petrelli has started one that is specifically about why people want to know spoilers.

It's just that these long posts crowd up this thread, so it's hard to find which posts are about new info from the novelization

-- Admiral Nelson

Because, IMO, what happens in a movie is only part of the movie watching process...i liken it to going on match.com for that special someone...I'd rather get through the basics rather than spend a couple dates trying to figure out who the person is. I'd rather go deeper from the get go, and thats how i feel about movies. How're these actions and quotes gonna translate on screen? that to me is more interesting than just seeing it without knowing anything

Dcknight, Antinicolae, Ledlunar, and The Batman all gave reasoned, thoughtful responses to this, and I appreciate their comments.

(And Glasgowgrin, I’m finished posting in this thread on this subject, so I won’t clutter up the remainder of the discussion with this. Thanks.)

-- Admiral Nelson

So the novel is out. Has only one been able to find it and where ?

Yeah, don't give him the tevredenheid!

:cwink:

I soooo tried to log in with that password earlier today.

I haven't found the novel, and usually my local store lets books out a little early. I can't wait to read it, tho.

I picked it up today and stopped reading after chapter four (which was the bank heist), since i'm going to see the film for the first time tonight. I'll read it when I come back.

I'm up to chapter 7 in the novel but I don't know whats actually in the movie and what is just filler to flesh out supporting characters.

In BB, the novel add in alot of stuff that is different from Nolan's tone in the film.

Like the saying that Ra's Al Gul is immortal with his pit, and in gotham knight novel, the author add in the peguin even when Nolan say he don't want to use the Peguin.

Does TDK novel fit the tone of the film?

Those are simply character additions/elaborations.

Explain why those two changes affect the "tone".

Do you think it's simply less plausible? If that's so, Gotham Knight is already less plausible than BB or TDK in a couple ways (Killer Croc).

Who writes these novels and do they have access to the Nolan bros?

Learned along time ago,what you read from a "novel" and what is actually brought/on the screen.Are two different specimens.....:brucebat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"