So I have a cat now... sort of

:BA

But actually they don't. Especially not healthy kittens with an excellent chance to get adopted. Sure, if you're an old, unhealthy, mean ol' bastard of a cat, yeah, you're probably going to get the pink stuff, but even that's not a certainty, and even if it does happen, shelter medicine is about the big picture, and the spot vacated by the deceased can be better used holding a young, healthy animal that actually has a chance of being adopted and won't be a drain on the (typically very limited) funds of the local animal shelter which is almost unanimously staffed by dedicated and caring individuals who really don't deserve the bad reputation that stupid people who don't know just what the **** they're talking about like to spread, sucka.
I have no doubt that people who work in animal shelters have the best intentions for the animals. And yes, adorable tiny kittens would definitely be snapped up immediately and have no fear of being euthanized due to overcrowding.

I got my cat through my roommate's friend, who couldn't keep his cat and was thinking of putting him in a shelter. Mickey is not particularly cute (of course he's furry-animal cute, but he's not kitten cute), and he's rather old. Exactly how old he is is up in the air, but he's no spring chicken. And there's nothing remarkable-looking about him - we were at a Petsmart and they were adopting out two cats that looked exactly like him. So he definitely would not have been adopted out that easily. Plus cats are easily stressed in new and uncomfortable environments. When I come home, the first thing my cat wants to do is plop into my lap. :funny: He's such an affectionate kitty. I bet he's a lot happier in my lap than in a shelter. :yay:

Sure the kitten may have been a feral, but s/he will be a lot happier staying in someone's home. :yay:

Plus cats are easily stressed in new and uncomfortable environments. When I come home, the first thing my cat wants to do is plop into my lap. :funny: He's such an affectionate kitty. I bet he's a lot happier in my lap than in a shelter. :yay:

This is exactly what happened with my cat. As soon as I brought her home, she wants to snuggle with me, sleep with me, play with me (she doesn't let me sleep at night because she's always all bouncy and pouncy, trying to wake me up to play with her :)) and if I'm in another room closed off from her, she sits outside the door crying. It's making it real hard to make the decision to give her up :(

Although today did help a lot with helping me figure out my decision, although I still have some figuring out to do.

I took her to Banfield today for a free checkup, and ultimately they said she looks really healthy (they were surprised to hear she was a stray they said she looked so clean and healthy), but as is the nature with a stray, there is a little bit of a risk - the vet said she had a bloated belly, saying it's either worms or she's pregnant.

Now, figuring out the finance options of Banfield, as well as financial options of some low cost clinics in my area, what I've figured out is that long term, me being able to take care of this cat shouldn't be a problem. The problem comes with the short term, getting these things taken care of immediately... I haven't had many hours at work lately (mostly due to school obligations), so I don't really have the $70-$120 or so that it's gonna cost me to get all this stuff taken care of at the moment, but with my work hours soon to pick up, and my overall income picking up within the next few weeks, this stuff will no longer be a problem.

And if it's worms or pregnancy, I don't think letting this stuff just linger unattended for a few weeks is a good idea.

However, I did stop by a local shelter, and they gave me some #'s to call for some other low cost vets, one in particular that the lady said will usually work with people, so I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow methinks.

This is exactly what happened with my cat. As soon as I brought her home, she wants to snuggle with me, sleep with me, play with me (she doesn't let me sleep at night because she's always all bouncy and pouncy, trying to wake me up to play with her :)) and if I'm in another room closed off from her, she sits outside the door crying. It's making it real hard to make the decision to give her up :(

Although today did help a lot with helping me figure out my decision, although I still have some figuring out to do.

I took her to Banfield today for a free checkup, and ultimately they said she looks really healthy (they were surprised to hear she was a stray they said she looked so clean and healthy), but as is the nature with a stray, there is a little bit of a risk - the vet said she had a bloated belly, saying it's either worms or she's pregnant.

Now, figuring out the finance options of Banfield, as well as financial options of some low cost clinics in my area, what I've figured out is that long term, me being able to take care of this cat shouldn't be a problem. The problem comes with the short term, getting these things taken care of immediately... I haven't had many hours at work lately (mostly due to school obligations), so I don't really have the $70-$120 or so that it's gonna cost me to get all this stuff taken care of at the moment, but with my work hours soon to pick up, and my overall income picking up within the next few weeks, this stuff will no longer be a problem.

And if it's worms or pregnancy, I don't think letting this stuff just linger unattended for a few weeks is a good idea.

However, I did stop by a local shelter, and they gave me some #'s to call for some other low cost vets, one in particular that the lady said will usually work with people, so I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow methinks.
Awww, kitty. :yay: I like to think that cats choose their owners. Mickey's old owner never really used to pick him up, but he LOVES it when I pick him up and squeeze him.

Yeah cats can get pregnant as young as 5 months. Definitely look into that right away - if you think ONE kitten is a handful, try five. :lmao:

Sounds like you're figuring stuff out, though! :yay:

Well some more good news, I called a recommended (and very well reviewed and respected) vet in my area, who gave me a very Nell-friendly scenario to get the cat fixed up medically, so as long as the situation doesn't have any unforeseen issues, I might be able to get this cat taken care of afterall.

Pffft, enjoy that while it lasts.

My cat is my best buddy :)

He better enjoy that now while I do not have a dog.

If you're quiet and patient, kitty will continue to like you. :yay:

My old roommate's cats preferred me to her. :oldrazz:

Clint hates me lol. I taught him too well in the ways of hate.

I already know what you're going to respond with, but please, tell me why so I can tell you why you're wrong.

http://forums.superherohype.com/archive/index.php/t-342300.html

The shelter told me if not adopted they will kill her within 3 days, and she said to me do you want to take time to weigh your options...

Ignore the adress to the animal shelter Iposted in the first title, under pressure from someone I thought at the time that was my only option. Petsmart will adopt, they don't kill.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that people who work in animal shelters have the best intentions for the animals. And yes, adorable tiny kittens would definitely be snapped up immediately and have no fear of being euthanized due to overcrowding.

I got my cat through my roommate's friend, who couldn't keep his cat and was thinking of putting him in a shelter. Mickey is not particularly cute (of course he's furry-animal cute, but he's not kitten cute), and he's rather old. Exactly how old he is is up in the air, but he's no spring chicken. And there's nothing remarkable-looking about him - we were at a Petsmart and they were adopting out two cats that looked exactly like him. So he definitely would not have been adopted out that easily. Plus cats are easily stressed in new and uncomfortable environments. When I come home, the first thing my cat wants to do is plop into my lap. :funny: He's such an affectionate kitty. I bet he's a lot happier in my lap than in a shelter. :yay:

Sure the kitten may have been a feral, but s/he will be a lot happier staying in someone's home. :yay:

This is a kitten we're talking about, not an older cat. Yeah, the 3 day waiting period sucks, but considering the number of animals in the shelter system, it's understandable. It gives the maximum amount of animals a chance for a home and cuts down on the population in a way that's not suffering through disease or injury or starvation. While I disagree that we have a stray cat "problem", this is a good way to help the population. (TNR programs are better though.)

http://forums.superherohype.com/archive/index.php/t-342300.html

The shelter told me if not adopted they will kill her within 3 days, and she said to me do you want to take time to weigh your options...

Ignore the adress to the animal shelter Iposted in the first title, under pressure from someone I thought at the time that was my only option. Petsmart will adopt, they don't kill.

The fact that Petsmart is apparently more trusted than an animal shelter is appalling.

It's a sad fact, but really, euthanasia is not a bad thing. People's jobs would be a hell of a lot easier if more people could figure that out.

Everything is going well with the cat, and I'm hoping to get her all checked out and taken care of sometime this week, but reading about some of the risks online has gotten me all paranoid that my cat gave me something, since she's all cuddly and affectionate, and sleeps in my room and bed. I don't know if I should really be concerned, or if I'm just being paranoid. But I am something of a hypochondriac to begin with.

Everything is going well with the cat, and I'm hoping to get her all checked out and taken care of sometime this week, but reading about some of the risks online has gotten me all paranoid that my cat gave me something, since she's all cuddly and affectionate, and sleeps in my room and bed. I don't know if I should really be concerned, or if I'm just being paranoid. But I am something of a hypochondriac to begin with.
If she gave you fleas, you would definitely know by now. :oldrazz:

The only other thing you need to worry about is a parasite called "toxo" (Toxoplasma gondii) but they're not harmful unless you're a pregnant woman or have AIDS. They might harm the fetus, and obviously people with AIDS have no immune system to keep it in check. Since you will never be pregnant (nor do you have AIDS), it's not an issue. :oldrazz: But if you want to avoid it anyway, wash your hands well after you clean her litter box. That's all it takes.

Besides, you can get toxo from eating undercooked beef anyway. :oldrazz: Lots of people are already carrying it.

You're also much more likely to get it from undercooked meat than from a cat.

So update, I'm keeping the cat. I've taken her to the vet, she's not pregnant, I've gotten her dewormed, so as soon as I get a chance I just need to get her spayed and vaccinated.

Now that I've decided I'm keeping her, I need to come up with a name for her. I've been struggling.

I'd kinda like to give her a fanboyish name, a name from something I'm into like X-Men, or Elder Scrolls, or even something that has to do with theater. But I haven't been able to come up with a name that I like.

You might name her Phoenix, Lilandra or Ariel, all X-names. But not Shadowcat. That's too on the nose. :cwink:

When you are trying to name a pet and think you've got a name chosen, go to the door of your house, open it and yell out the name at the top of your lungs 3 times in a row. If it still sounds OK to you, then it's a good name for a pet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"