The Winter Soldier So them Russo brothers...

LostSon88

Superhero
Reaction score
Turned out to be pretty damn good. I remember when they were first announced as the directors and the forums throwing a fit.

Declaring TWS is going to be a "comedy", these are TV Directors that can't handle the scope, the actions gonna suck, etc.

And...here we are. :)

Thoughts?

My thoughts....How the heck did two TV directors do action better then 90% of most Hollywood blockbusters? Seriously I'm not sure I can go back and watch The First Avenger now, not now I know what Cap's really capable of! :p

Start watching their show Community, fellas.

That show is hilarious and they have some themed episodes (the paintball ones for example) where there's actually some very well choreographed action going on. Even though the show is a comedy, they've shown they have action chops.

So I'm not really surprised they pulled it off in all honesty. And they made one hell of a high quality movie, so I'm excited for what they produce next.

Also...the show Community deserves more support...so go watch it!

"It" being Community...have I said "Community" enough?

I don't know who directed the Paintball sequels but Justin Lin (Fast & Furious movies) actually directed the original Paintball episode.

And I am a HARDCORE Community fan. ;)

My thoughts....How the heck did two TV directors do action better then 90% of most Hollywood blockbusters? Seriously I'm not sure I can go back and watch The First Avenger now, not now I know what Cap's really capable of! :p

Exactly my thought!

Whe i first heard that they were attached as directors...i was VERY dissapointed. I knew them only as comedy directors.

But now, like you said, they've directed probably the best action scenes i've seen in a while.Where in the blue hell did they learned how to do that??!?:woot:

Last edited:

Probably because they know how to work on a schedule and a budget while still having passion for what they're doing. I think that's what Feige sought in Taylor because of GoT, but the fact that the Russos apparently went after this pretty hard makes it apparent why the action had that extra "oomph". It's one of those movies where you can just somehow tell they gave it their all, and it paid off.

Not that crew on average blockbusters don't work hard, but there's much, much less of that bland "made by committee" feel here where a director-for-hire like Brent Ratner goes "Okay, so we need someone to fight or something to make this part interesting, right?"

Not to take anything away from them but keep in mind that action scenes mostly originate from storyboard artists. And the editor is vital as well.

Again not to diminish the director's role but they are not solely responsible for what you see.

Very true, but the director's also the one who can snap his fingers and say "Nah, we'll shoot it all flat on a green screen." While they're not the only people involved, they still make the decisions to do something more ambitious and dictate that energy, so kudos all around. Same goes for the inventive ideas on display in all these movies, especially Avengers and IM3 for me. Storyboard Artists honestly do deserve more credit though.

I found all the Russo brothers can't do anything other than comedy hate hilarious. People can be way too narrow minded.

And yet I'm sure the next time a TV director is hired we'll still have people hating on them for whatever reason.

"No Whedon! He's only done TV and one movie with like no budget!"
"No Taylor! He's only done TV. Whedon was different, he did a movie!"
"No Russos! Taylor was different, HBO has a big budget!"

"No X! The Russos were different, there were two of them!"

I was skeptical about the Russos because I really did think that Marvel was going to push Captain America 2 as a comedy (moreso than the other solo films), and I was greatly surprised. I had very high hopes after seeing the first trailer, and they just freaking killed it! Easily the best of the Phase 2 films, possibly the best solo film Marvel has done (if not the best film, period).

Speaking of the trailer, the movie topped both already-good trailers in spades if you ask me. Too often it feels like certain shots are made for the trailer, and here the "cool" moments already shown were way better in context. It's refreshing as hell.

Turned out to be pretty damn good. I remember when they were first announced as the directors and the forums throwing a fit.

Declaring TWS is going to be a "comedy", these are TV Directors that can't handle the scope, the actions gonna suck, etc.

And...here we are. :)

Thoughts?

Remember when people said very similar things about Evans when he was cast?

To the Russos :applaud

Knowing that they'll be back for the third one is such as a relief.

Not to take anything away from them but keep in mind that action scenes mostly originate from storyboard artists. And the editor is vital as well.

Again not to diminish the director's role but they are not solely responsible for what you see.

At the same time directors often work closely with both storyboard artists and editor. Movie making is a gigantic collab, with the director as the constant element.

Last edited:
They did a great job with the script that was given to them to use, and with what they were handed they did a fantastic job, can't say the same of the script.

Joe Russo's Community episodes

- Advanced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (2014)
- Geothermal Escapism (2014)
- Documentary Filmmaking: Redux (2011)
- Advanced Gay (2011)
- Geography of Global Conflict (2011)
- For a Few Paintballs More (2011)
- A Fistful of Paintballs (2011)
- Competitive Wine Tasting (2011)
- Intermediate Documentary Filmmaking (2011)
- Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (2011)
- Cooperative Calligraphy (2010)
- Accounting for Lawyers (2010)
- Anthropology 101 (2010)
- Pascal's Triangle Revisited (2010)
- Romantic Expressionism (2010)
- Investigative Journalism (2010)
- Debate 109 (2009)
- Football, Feminism and You (2009)
- Advanced Criminal Law (2009)
- Spanish 101 (2009)
- Pilot (2009)

Anthony Russo's Community episodes

- Foosball and Nocturnal Vigilantism (2011)
- Competitive Ecology (2011)
- Biology 101 (2011)
- Custody Law and Eastern European Diplomacy (2011)
- Asian Population Studies (2011)
- Basic Rocket Science (2010)
- The Psychology of Letting Go (2010)
- Beginner Pottery (2010)
- Physical Education (2010)
- Politics of Human Sexuality (2009)
- Home Economics (2009)
- Social Psychology (2009)
- Introduction to Film (2009)
- Pilot (2009)

Id say Joe Russo has directed most of my fav community episodes.

I see a similar thing going on with with Edgar Wright's Ant-Man with people saying its going to be a outright comedy or parody because of Edgar Wright's involvement despite Edgar himself stating on numerous occasions Ant-Man has a tone similar to the first Iron Man movie and is a character driven film with large action set pieces.

I have vast hopes for Ant-Man, being Directed by Edgar Wright, i expect something very good. I like that Marvel is going after fresh blood annd giving them an oportunity to show their potencial and possibly even use the success to push their oun personal projects, like the Russo bros being hired for Cap 3 and Shane Black now having a billion movie that can help make his Death Note and Doc Savage movies a reality

Speaking of the trailer, the movie topped both already-good trailers in spades if you ask me. Too often it feels like certain shots are made for the trailer, and here the "cool" moments already shown were way better in context. It's refreshing as hell.

Actually, there were a few shots in the trailers that didn't made it to final cut......Like, the one at 2:10 and 2:11:

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbayiPxkUMM

I'm looking forward to Ant-Man as well. The World's End showed off some great action.

Edgar has Jackie Chan stunt team member, martial artist, action choreographer Brad Allen working on his last two movies and also on Ant-Man.

No wonder he says Ant-Man is going to fight like Jackie Chan :woot:

Let's not forget James gunn! :) only him I'm actually expecting and hoping for comedy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"