"So You Think You Can Mod?"--A Hype Reality Show!

SCENARIO #1:

For 400 Points:

"HYPESTER A has made it known that he despises gay people. He knows that HYPESTER B is gay because they've mentioned it publicly. HYPESTER A seems to appear in nearly every thread HYPESTER B participates in. He makes subtle knocks and insinuations about gay people, but he is civil about it and never uses gay jokes. He also never attacks HYPESTER B directly publicly or privately.

Question: The gay poster believes he's being singled out and harrassed and demands that you discipline HYPESTER A based on "assumptions." What do you do?

KEY POINT: Note that Hypester A is not "direct" with his trolling, nor has he attacked anyone. Technically he has not broken the rules. This is a gray area.

E-mail Hypester A directly and tell him that you've monitored the conversations he's entering and what he's saying in them. Whilst no rules have been broken, you sir...
Colbert_Notice.jpg

I wouldn't ban or suspend him, unless he's outright hostile. Though I would also urge Hypester A to consider psychoanalysis for any latent homosexual issues he may have.

Mention to Hypster A that Hypster B feels singled out, So far H-A has not been overly offensive or making time to attack B-B through PM's etc. Just let H-A know how H-B feels. Then keep an eye on it.

That response sounds more like the mods would be the "Feelings Police"...and not in a good way.....

The clues given should be sufficient. Remember, Hypester B's complaint is not based on just one incident; it's about a series of subtle comments that HE feels are offensive. However, according to the FAQs he is not being attacked directly.

yeah i know that, be can't see the severity of what the poster is saying.

i think my original answer is right.

HYPESTER B won't want to stay if HYPESTER A is allowed to keep "following" him in different threads. Isn't that trolling?

All you people stating that the person did nothing wrong are wrong. The person made another person clearly uncomfortable. I'd weigh what Hypester A has contributed to the Hype...being mostly positive or negative. If he has contributed mostly nothing but negativeness to the Hype then I would definitely take SOME form of action, be it warning or something more drastic depending on the severity.

THEN I'd edit his sig for public mockery.

edit...I'd also research to see if Hypester B is a compulsive liar.

But we also have to be fair and consistent. Are we going to warn everyone that offends someone with remarks that are not neccessarily insults? See my point about how posters say things like "this is gay". If we warn him, we have to warn everyone doing that. If the remarks are not severe, I don't see how you can warn him or do much more than monitor the situation.

yeah i know that, be can't see the severity of what the poster is saying.

i think my original answer is right.

But see the thing is: What do you use to guide your decision making prowess. Is Hypester A being politically incorrect? Yes. But he is being civil about it--he just hates gay people. Is it coincidence that he shows up in every thread Hypester B is in and starts making subtle remarks about the gay life? Probably not. He's definitely stalking dude. But he's NOT breaking any rules. And if you were to say something to him, he's automatically going to tell you that he hasn't done anything wrong according to the rules.

So the question is: Who's side do you take? Do you have to be "gay" to emphathize with Hypester B's perceptions of discrimination? Or is Hypester B simply being overly dramatic and needs to grower a thicker layer?

But see the thing is: What do you use to guide your decision making prowess. Is Hypester A being politically incorrect? Yes. But he is being civil about it--he just hates gay people. Is it coincidence that he shows up in every thread Hypester B is in and starts making subtle remarks about the gay life? Probably not. He's definitely stalking dude. But he's NOT breaking any rules. And if you were to say something to him, he's automatically going to tell you that he hasn't done anything wrong according to the rules.

So the question is: Who's side do you take? Do you have to be "gay" to emphathize with Hypester B's perceptions of discrimination? Or is Hypester B simply being overly dramatic and needs to grower a thicker layer?

Since H-A has beem civil so far etc, he'll probably understand if you mention that his comments could make other uneasy, perhaps tell him to rephrase things slightly because others are a little easily offended

But if he is being civil, you can't dictate his activity. He isn't breaking any rules. All you can do is monitor him and wait for him to cross the line.

But we also have to be fair and consistent. Are we going to warn everyone that offends someone with remarks that are not neccessarily insults? See my point about how posters say things like "this is gay". If we warn him, we have to warn everyone doing that. If the remarks are not severe, I don't see how you can warn him or do much more than monitor the situation.

If someone makes a complaint there is no harm in a warning. In THIS particular situation, it fits. You have to deal with things on a case by case basis...even though there are blanket rules. Its not a perfect world so you have to deal with imperfect situations.

SCENARIO #1:

For 400 Points:

"HYPESTER A has made it known that he despises gay people. He knows that HYPESTER B is gay because they've mentioned it publicly. HYPESTER A seems to appear in nearly every thread HYPESTER B participates in. He makes subtle knocks and insinuations about gay people, but he is civil about it and never uses gay jokes. He also never attacks HYPESTER B directly publicly or privately.

Question: The gay poster believes he's being singled out and harrassed and demands that you discipline HYPESTER A based on "assumptions." What do you do?

KEY POINT: Note that Hypester A is not "direct" with his trolling, nor has he attacked anyone. Technically he has not broken the rules. This is a gray area.

I would send Hypster A a message, encouraging him to do what's necessary to prevent a conflict from erupting in the future, because one thing can lead to another, and if a situation gets heated he could end up doing something that gets himself banned at a later date. I would also let him know that I will be watching him.

Then I would send a message to Hypster B telling him not to let get under his skin too much, and asking him not to retalliate in an inflamatory manner, because then he could end up getting banned, and that would only make Hypster A happy because then he would win.

Probably both. Hypester A is obviously against gays, but Hypester B could be over reacting. Either way, Hypester A should calm down about constantly mentioning his view on gays and such. Not every thread here has to mention gays, so it would be off topic. And I am sure Hypester B isn't in threads about gays all the time, so it would have to be off topic in many occasions.

But if he is being civil, you can't dictate his activity. He isn't breaking any rules. All you can do is monitor him and wait for him to cross the line.

Okay, so what do you tell Hypester B, who is demanding this guy be disciplined or banned? How do you come across fair without also coming across insensitive and possibly anti-gay yourself (no action = sympathizer to some people)???

You could warn "A" to calm down, then if he doesnt or lashes back at you(being a mod) you could punish him for that, since that would disobeying a mod, and in my short time on SHH, i know one thing, you dont disrespect a MOD, also the "SIG OF DOOM OR SHAME" is still a good idea.

Okay, so what do you tell Hypester B, who is demanding this guy be disciplined or banned? How do you come across fair without also coming across insensitive and possibly anti-gay yourself (no action = sympathizer to some people)???

I would say to Hypster B:

"He is right now not breaking any rules, so I cannot ban or put him on probation. However, I will monitor his activity, and if he crosses the line, he will be dealt with accordingly."

SCENARIO #1:

For 400 Points:

This sounds WAAAYYY too much like the bar exam for me :wow:...I'm gonna pass :csad:

As I mentioned, no warning but small PM asking to tone down gay jokes by request, and tell them they are on notice.....let B know that there is no strong evidence to take any action but you will follow the situation as much as possible, but to PM him if A continues with gay taunts....if there is evidence after you told him to tone down, then give A is given a warning and told the next time they will be given a probationary ban....

Ok, all the answers are getting to be the same now. There a winner or what?

I would say to Hypster B:

"He is right now not breaking any rules, so I cannot ban or put him on probation. However, I will monitor his activity, and if he crosses the line, he will be dealt with accordingly."

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

Hypester B feels threatened. If Hypester B is a level headed poster who has no history of lying then there is NOTHING wrong with giving Hypester A a verbal warning.

Ban 'em all and let Mirko sort 'em out!

Yay! Dew wins

"If you do your job right, people will think you did nothing at all."

God

Futurama.

Hypester B feels threatened. If Hypester B is a level headed poster who has no history of lying then there is NOTHING wrong with giving Hypester A a verbal warning.

So all people who may take something and say they feel threatened can get someone else a warning? The thread thing may be a coincidence and he has said nothing wrong at this point. So, all you can do is look at the posts. If the posts don't yield anything to make me feel he is threatening him, I don't see where a warning is meritted. Monitorization definately, but not a warning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"