Solo Solo: A Spoiler Thread

I think this entire movie is better than Rogue One. For one thing, it's a movie that isn't about Star Wars and is finally a SW movie that's just its own story. Rogue One is more like a fan film. This is genuine and has actual, interesting ideas and isn't dependent on what you know about Star Wars for once. This could have been an original story if it wasn't about Han Solo which is what I would like to see out of these new movies (though ideally they would be new altogether). It's not beholden to anything. It's not a check list that makes a point about being about that we know who Han Solo is. This works as a standalone if you haven't even seen a single SW movie.

I don't want to get into a debate about Rogue One, because it's not a movie that's worth it (though it's just terrible), but I'll be happy to defend Solo that took a stupid idea and made it feel like a genuine creative intent. It may not be as well directed as the other movies or look as good, or is as slick, but I'll choose this over the other new SW films. It's a scrappy little movie that works warts and all.

Honestly feel the same. It just feels so Star Wars. It has really stuck with me. I wanna catch at least one more time in theater, but I may not get to.

It’s not my favourite of the new movies, but I agree it has stuck with me since seeing it also, especially the kessel run part. I too hope to catch it again I. The cinema. This felt so much more Star Wars than TLJ to me.

The kessel run of all things, was great. It was clever, creative and fun. That's a moment I wasn't looking forward to, thinking it would be so straightforward, but it wasn't. They turned what could have been a check list thing to a great character based scene that wasn't just about being about, "How Han Solo Made the Kessel Run."

The kessel run of all things, was great. It was clever, creative and fun. That's a moment I wasn't looking forward to, thinking it would be so straightforward, but it wasn't. They turned what could have been a check list thing to a great character based scene that wasn't just about being about, "How Han Solo Made the Kessel Run."

Yep, totally agreed, was great seeing Han and Chewie pilot together for the first time also. But overall I just loved what they did with the sequence we have previously only heard about.

Honestly, the heist elements of Solo is what I wanted from Rogue One. Stealing the coaxium was the best part of the film and when I thought of a group of ragtag rebels stealing the Death Star plans, that's what I imagined.

Yeah, and I actually think it did the war movie aesthetic better with the Mimban sequence, even though the Scarif battle was pretty great.

But overall it's a much better movie than Rogue One. Its characters are much more dynamic for the most part, and it deals its references much more organically and less obvious (other than Maul).

Rogue One looks great, has cool action, but it's hollow. If you were to take away the fact it's associated with SW, it's not even a movie.

Even Han getting his blaster is more of a character beat where it signifies Han being embroiled within this life and helps service his arc. It's not just there as, "HAN SOLO'S BLASTER!"

I didn't expect them to mention Teräs Käsi. Master of Teräs Käsi was a fun game on PS1. The word is finnish so it was great to hear it in the movie. :D

This isn’t a full review but I just wanted to say that I loved this movie. I think it might be the best of the newer SW films. I definitely enjoyed it more than TLJ and TFA, and while I loved Rogue One, Solo was a much more enjoyable film. It’s sad that Disney didn’t market this very well; it’s a very good, fun film that may have led to a great trilogy.

I didn't expect them to mention Teräs Käsi. Master of Teräs Käsi was a fun game on PS1. The word is finnish so it was great to hear it in the movie. :D

Ah interesting. I did like all the references.

It's probably the most old EU friendly movie of the series really.

It's probably the most old EU friendly movie of the series really.

It really is. I have a friend who was a life long fan until the Disney take over. When it comes out on blu ray, I'm gonna invite him over to watch it. I think he will enjoy it for the most part.

Regarding the Maul appearance... he had more presence in his brief scene here than he did in all of The Phantom Menace. I really want to see more of him. But if we do, anyone else think they should just let Sam Witwer play him physically, as well as doing the voice? I know he’s not a martial arts champion like Ray Park but he does great with the voice and has done fine in action roles before. Might as well let him play the entire character.

I'm not sure if I liked that they included Maul in this. I like the charater and he looked great but the movie started to feel like some animated series. It felt out off place because we haven't seen him in movies after Episode 1.

They should have mentioned Chewbacca's family in more detail. The Holiday Special needs to be canon. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"