Avengers: Infinity War NON-SPOILER User Review Thread

Discussion in 'Avengers: Infinity War' started by Spider-Fan, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Easter Lily Registered

Feel free. :D
    But despite having heard before I went in that it was self-contained, the ending itself [BLACKOUT]was a cliffhanger[/BLACKOUT].
    If I were to look at this from Thanos' perspective, I could see why people might think it was a standalone film. For him [BLACKOUT]he succeeded in achieving what he set out to do but for the titular Avengers... they've barely begun. Most of those who fought at Wakanda barely had any kind of arc.[/BLACKOUT]

I do find Thanos fascinating as an idealist who thinks that he is on the right side of history. In that regard, he's more interesting than Vader or The Joker who may be menacing but in their heart of hearts they know they're baddies.

#76 Easter Lily, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  2. LvtLeeTDK Fullmetal Alchemist

It is, and it's a smart one tbh.

3. BigThor God of Thunder

In what way is Joker better than Thanos, besides being in an older more appreciated film?

Not to mention he didn't really accomplish much.

4. jmc away for a while

Edited for potential spoiler-ish wording.

#79 jmc, Apr 27, 2018
  5. LvtLeeTDK Fullmetal Alchemist

Are you talking about the brilliance of acting, complexity, characteristics, dialogue, motivations,... or pure power in the film ?

6. BigThor God of Thunder

All of the above.

7. LvtLeeTDK Fullmetal Alchemist

In that case. Yeah The Joker is much better.

The fact that it's an Oscar-winning performance, cleanest swept in award history, often chosen to be the best supporting winning performance of 2000s and often considered one of the best villians of all time (along with Vader, Hans Landa, Anton Chigurh, Hannibal Lecter) clearly speaks for itself.

But opinions are opinions. I clearly said "I think..." and I don't contradict your opinion either so feel free to response.

#82 LvtLeeTDK, Apr 27, 2018
  8. Adhesive Boy Registered

I think both are acted very well. Thanos has more depth than the Joker, he has a clear motivation behind his actions instead of just "because I'm crazy", his intelligence is less shown through making others stupid or him just being lucky (that the Joker didn't get caught in the opening scene is laughable), he's a more menacing threat, is better in action, and he influences his setting more.

The Joker is definitely funnier though.

9. BigThor God of Thunder

The type of film The Dark Knight is lends itself to be taken more seriously at the Oscar's than a pure CBM like Infinity War. Which means it's actors are more likely to be recognized and like I said TDK is 10 years old, Joker has had more time to be appreciated as well.

You statement is definitely a reasonable one, I didn't mean to come off as dismissive apologies if I did.

10. LvtLeeTDK Fullmetal Alchemist

And The Joker didn't ? I'm shocked by seeing this evaluation.

But this is an IW Review Thread so we shouldnt go further about this. If you guys want to discuss about this then we should do it at another thread, though.
    Nah you didn't at all LOL.

11. BigThor God of Thunder

It's all good bro, I definitely see both of views.

12. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Brolin won't be afforded a nomination for this movie on the fact of it was accomplished via Mo-Cap alone. So no point in even debating if it was an Oscar worthy performance. He's basically disqualified from consideration.

13. BigThor God of Thunder

Oh yeah, that too.

14. Adhesive Boy Registered

I don't think so. I know the point of the Joker's plan, but I don't know what drives him to do it because we hardly know anything about him. With Thanos we fully understand where he's coming from, what he's been through in the past and we see both his conviction and his struggle with what he's doing. Thanos is more fleshed out in this way than the vast majority of villains, including most of my favorite ones.

15. jmc away for a while

He says it in the film what drives him - he’s an agent of chaos. What you’re overlooking is the Joker is not meant to be the emotion core of TDK, Dent is. But the main thing you’re overlooking is actually both characters work for the same reason - they make you see their point of view. The Joker’s motivation is to prove a point that at the end of the day we are one bad event away from losing all sense of order. Thanos’ motivation is the only fair way to bring balance and prosperity is through random sacrifice. You don’t need a backstory, you don’t need some love interest, you just need that perspective shown to the audience.

16. Adhesive Boy Registered

Being an agent of chaos is in the category of "evil for the sake of evil". It's not an actual character motivation.

I didn't say that the Joker can't or doesn't work though. I just think the depth of Thanos is one of the reasons why I like him better. Thanos' quest does get better seeing why he so strongly believes what he does, and how he actually struggles with some of his actions because he's not evil for the sake of evil. He perseveres because his drive to make everything right is ultimately strong enough.

It's actually a bit funny that between the crazy criminal with clown makeup and cosmic genocide man with his magic stones, the latter has the more human nuances.

17. m1ll3r Registered

If you think Joker’s motivation is “because I’m crazy” then you really didn’t watch that film properly.

And Thanos is good, but he is not on the level of Joker or Vader. That’s just the newness of the movie talking. There’s an argument that he’s not even the most well rounded and threatening villain in the MCU.

18. Darkmania Registered

Hi, I don't tend to post a lot but here goes. Just the fact that they could fit so many actors in this movie, and still make it feel emotional and impactful was just amazing. Kudos to the folks at Marvel who almost 10 years in are still able to make movies as good as Black Panther and Infiity Wars.

I am not posting in the spoiler thread simply because as others have said, I want to watch it a second time to make sure I caught everything.

The ending (I mean the part before the end credits lol) will have folks talking for months! The crowd in the theater I went to was silent, stunned, and I am pretty sure I saw a few folks with tears in their eyes.

#93 Darkmania, Apr 27, 2018
  19. Mjölnir Guest

Telling someone else that he only likes something better because it's new is really failing to understand the subjectivity of things. It looks pretty bad to suggest that you know someone else's opinions better than they do.

20. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

I have not been emotionally effected by the performance of a main villain like Thanos since TDK and Empire. Thanos is easily going to be one of the most iconic villains of all time. I agree there's no Oscar for Brolin because of the mo-cap, but his performance was awesome!

21. m2k Registered

Thanos definitely belongs in the same breath as Joker and Vader. Which is better? Take your pick.

22. The Endless WE are Groot

They did it... They really did it. Unbelievable. How this film didn't end up a mess is miraculous.

23. The Endless WE are Groot

Im not into hyperbole, but Thanos is a top quality villain. Up there with the best. And certainly one of, if not the most physically formidable villains ever put to screen.

24. JeetKuneDo Guitarist

8.5/10

Mostly loved it. Only a couple of minor grips.

25. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

Boy, this film just drains you. It's long, a little too expositional and not all the pieces click as they should.

However, it's still one hell of a time at the cinema and everyone involved deserves massive kudos for even attempting something like this. I don't think it's my favourite MARVEL movie, but I think you need to see both parts before making a final judgement.

Also, I don't think casual audience members will be rushing to see this a second time, which might affect legs.