Avengers: Infinity War NON-SPOILER User Review Thread

Discussion in 'Avengers: Infinity War' started by Spider-Fan, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Kane52630 XO User

[​IMG]
    Avengers: Infinity War

My god, they f***in did it. Marvel Studios was able to adapt a crossover event of this magnitude from the comics into live action and made it look almost easy. They definitely learned their mistakes from Age of Ultron. The movie hit the ground running as soon as the Marvel Studio logo goes dark. I do agree with some criticism about it being too much and too much referencing to other movies, because if you haven't seen all the movies, you might get lost. It's clearly a movie for the fans of the movies in the best way possible. I actually love the way this was paced, it's broken down pretty methodically and they were able to balance the comedy and drama pretty well. The stakes were high and for once in the MCU you felt constant dread whenever Thanos shows up. Josh Brolin is the MVP of the movie and almost everyone kinda felt secondary (which is obviously done on purpose). Seeing the interactions between other marvel characters was a lot of fun and it's what keeps this movie going. There's also a lot of fun Easter eggs and cameos that I never thought I'd see. I do have very minor nitpicks, but none of them kept me from loving this. It's a damn shame we will never see Darkseid in live action without having to compare him to Thanos. He stole the show and this Avengers movie is indeed the Empire Strikes Back of the MCU and these 12 months are going to be torture.
    10/10

2. Asr Registered

Just saw this and WOW. The Russos are 2 out of 3 for me (I wasn't a fan of Civil War, but loved TWS, and now IW).

Finally a Marvel movie (again) with the guts to go all serious and pull no dramatic punches. As Deadpool said in his latest trailer for DP2, it was almost like Marvel went DC dark. ;) Of course there were jokes throughout, but in IW, the stakes were really felt. This was a hell of an emotional rollercoaster ride, and some GREAT cameos too (i.e., [blackout]Red Skull[/blackout]). Obviously some characters died too, and the two deaths in the first 5 minutes really set the tone for the rest of the movie—wasn't really expecting anyone to get offed that soon into the movie but man it went there!

I wasn't expecting the movie to start by immediately picking up after the events of Thor Ragnarok, which immediately made me wish that I'd seen that movie again recently to jog my memory of how it ended. Thanos was awesome, definitely one of the top MCU villains, and just about every hero had at least one great funny or dramatic scene. It was great that every hero had some sort of part to play as well in defeating Thanos, even the minor characters.

Only frustrated that it ended, another year is too long to wait for A4! At least in the meantime we've got other Marvel movies coming soon, can't wait for the levity of both DP2 and AATW after the dramatic stakes that IW just pulled off!

Btw the 3D in IW was pretty good but not really outstanding. If you normally see movies in 3D, it's probably worth it, but if you don't, no need to shell out extra for it. The credits did say that the movie was shot with IMAX cameras, so it's probably well worth seeing on a 70mm IMAX screen—which I might end up doing at some point.

Also, the end-credits scene wasn't really worth sticking around for—because honestly, anyone who reads SHH (and other comic-book nerds alike) will already know that the [blackout]Captain Marvel[/blackout] movie is coming out next year. So I didn't really see the point of that scene when casual moviegoers won't get the reference.

And for a movie that was almost as long as Blade Runner 2049, it definitely didn't feel that long. BR2049 was great, but man did that movie drag. On the other hand, I never felt bored during IW and kept wanting to see more (especially more Avengers + Guardians scenes).

#102 Asr, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  3. jmc away for a while

I just told you his motivation. It's to prove a point that anyone can be pushed over the edge. It's not evil for the sake of it, it's evil to prove his point. The Joker sees what society does as pointless and futile, that deep down we're not too different from him. But it's not only what he does, it's what he says also. The Joker gives justifications for his actions throughout the film just like Thanos does. Hell the entire interrogation sequence epitomises this. If you can't see after 10 years that the Joker is more than just a bad guy then I really don't know what to say.

4. Adhesive Boy Registered

Proving the point is what he is doing while a motivation is why he wants to do it. Just saying that society is pointless and futile means nothing without something to back it up or anchor it. It's not a point that speaks for itself as it's so obviously untrue. Saying that all our development isn't worth much because we aren't perfect would be ridiculously banal. That's strengthened by the fact that the only time he does change someone it's incredibly cartoony and unbelievable in a movie that tries to be gritty and realistic on a level where it's almost afraid of the superhero genre. The interrogation scene just explains his actions, it doesn't say anything about why he's doing it other than it's because of chaos reasons.

There's also a reason why Alfred says in the movie that some men just want to watch the world burn.

5. Yilun Registered

For as much criticism as this movie got because it felt like a jumbled mess of story-telling and 4 separate movies forced into one, I think the pundits forget that this is EXACTLY what we've asked for.

Who needs character/story development when it's been developed for 10 years already across 20+ movies? We all know, love, and appreciate these characters for who they are already. The fact that the movie hit the ground running was a good decision, imo. Albeit, it does detract from IW as a "stand-alone" movie because it is literally a continuation of Ragnarok's post-credit scene and ends on a cliff-hanger. It feels more like the middle chapter of a trilogy rather than a new movie (hence the comparisons to ESB, I suppose).

But then again, there's also something to be said that Marvel trusts and has faith that nearly 100% of their audience who watches this movie are mostly likely decade-long fans of the series and have already seen every single Marvel movie at least twice. They give us the benefit of the doubt instead of coddling us (and critics). That is the type of producing that I appreciate.

All in all, what a great ride.

6. Timebomb Registered

Wow! What did I just see? Kane sums it up nicely above. I love TDK and up to today it was my favorite CBM hands down. Never thought I Would question it but now....I have to see it a couple more times and TDK might still come out on top but man, now I'm not so sure. I can't give this movie any more praise than that.
    10/10

7. jmc away for a while

Is the Joker entirely incorrect in his assessment? Are humans not capable of turning on each other when panic sets in? When things fall apart? Is it not every man for himself when all of our lives are on the line? The point he’s making is we all like to think we are above that, but in reality we can be easily broken at a moments notice, he’s just already embraced the brokenness. You might not agree with his point, you might think people are above that (and the film itself does refute this idea) but he’s not entirely wrong either. Alfred’s right, he wants to watch the world burn, but he’s got a reason to do it, because he believes order is irrational. It’s also a game to him, he wants to push good people to do horrific things to prove his point, he wants to see them become as broken as he is.

8. Adhesive Boy Registered

That can happen to a degree but as I said, the fact that society doesn't make humans perfect hardly makes society pointless and futile. It's impossible to look at history and say that structured society hasn't been extremely important and beneficial to the growth of humanity. The whole "every man for himself" is also just not taking human instincts into consideration since we are a herd animals and we will resort to the safety of others in many dire situations, and protect others of the herd.

Perhaps even more importantly, the film itself says that the Joker is wrong as his boat scheme utterly fails. Granted that was disappointing to me as that would have been interesting and made sense, contrary to Dent's fall which I didn't buy whatsoever.

It's just a really poor idea if you want to make any sense out of it. The point is that the Joker doesn't have any sort of deep motivation. He's just for chaos for the sake of it, so therefor it doesn't matter as much that he doesn't make any sense. Again chaos for the sake of it is in the category of evil for the sake of evil. He's not in the believable villain category in my mind.

9. m1ll3r Registered

Every time a new and great comic book movie comes out, there tends to be a lot of buzz about that says it’s better than The Dark Knight.

...then a few weeks go by, the dust settles... and folks realise that The Dark Knight is still the best comic book movie ever made.

This will never change :up:

10. Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

The action scenes weren't as inspired as those in The Winter Soldier or Civil War. They were a bit 'CGI overload'. The Russos are better with actual practical hand to hand combat.

11. Mjölnir Guest

I think there are plenty of better CBM's than TDK, including one of it's own trilogy, so it has certainly changed for me.

It also sounds terribly dull to me to think that one film will always be the best. I hope that there will be films in the future that I like more than any of my current favorites.

12. BigThor God of Thunder

How else are you supposed to display lightning powers, magic powers, Infinity Stone powers, and all other manner of powers other than using CGI?

13. BigThor God of Thunder

TDK is not even in my top 5, it's an amazing film but it is horribly overrated.

The fight choreorgaphy was terrible, Joker made Batman seem like a doofus, there was entirely too much exposition, the film dragged and wasn't as tight as it could have been.

14. m1ll3r Registered

Yep, and that's more than fair enough. No one film is ever going to be everybody's favourite.

But I don't see a time when the general consensus will ever put another movie above The Dark Knight when it comes to the comic book movie genre.

It's a cliché to say it's The Godfather of cbms... but it doesn't make it any less true. Unless someone can produce a cbm that matches the storytelling quality of TDK, captures the social political zeitgeist the way TDK did, and transcends the genre the way TDK did, it'll never be replaced.

15. BigThor God of Thunder

It's easier to transcend a genre when something has the least aspects of that genre.

TDK is barely a CBM, if the name wasn't Batman and you replace Batman with a vigilante in regular clothes it wouldn't be.

#115 BigThor, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  16. Zarex Registered

TDK is extremely well made, but I can't put a film that's barely a comic book movie at the top of my comic book movie list. Stripping Batman of much of what we love about the character and taking him out of his comic book environs worked wonderfully for Nolan. But I'll take nailing the genre over transcending the genre every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

17. BigThor God of Thunder

Boom!

18. m1ll3r Registered

I'd love to know what exactly you think was stripped of Batman in TDK that is beloved about the character... but this isn't the forum for it. Snyder did far more stripping of beloved aspects, and turned in a horrible characterisation because of it.

But anyway... TDK will be considered the best comic book movie for many, many years to come, despite individual preferences for some. It's just the way things are :up:

#118 m1ll3r, Apr 28, 2018
  19. Zarex Registered

Boom to you as well!

TDK is terrific for what it is, but it harkens back to the post B&R era when everything had to be "grounded" and the craziness that's inherent to comic books had to be stripped away as we modified these beloved characters for the "real world". Filmmakers were embarrassed by the genre, and we accepted it.

Well F that! I've just seen an 8 foot tall purple alien with a rippled chin [BLACKOUT]snap his fingers and delete half of the universe. [/BLACKOUT]. I ain't going back!

20. BigThor God of Thunder

Straight up!

#120 BigThor, Apr 28, 2018
  21. Tg11 Registered

Certain things in the movie really hit me to my core and I can admit I cried like a baby yesterday when I was watching this film during some scenes. I watched this film and I admit people in the theater cheered during some of the scenes. Some of the crowd booed like legit whenever Thanos did his thing and some people like myself cried during some of the scenes because it really gets at you in an emotional way. However, the action scenes are a thing of beauty.

Best Marvel movie out of all the 19 films that I think I have ever seen.

10/10 for me.

22. Spider-Aziz Flame Roy Returns

This is a very good movie, with a well balanced role distribution for all the characters involved. Of course it relies on being part of a shared universe to exist, that's the point of making it a shared universe.

Movies that are essential to watch before this movie are more than half of the previously released movies, and perhaps Black Panther is not one of those essential movies because what you see of his world is kind of like his debut in Civil War, something that comes and is understood without a certain precedent to rely on.

I don't think it's anywhere near as perfect as some might think, at least it is significantly better than some of the reviews might make you believe.

When compared to previous Avengers movies, it is better than Age of Ultron, but not better than the first. Civil War is -in my humble opinion- the best movie featuring the Avengers.

Quality = 8.5/0
    Joy = 9/10

23. Mjölnir Guest

Consensus means nothing when it comes to art in my view, and the same goes for how much money something racks in. Art is an individual experience and not something of which you can quantify it's quality.

That being said I think the consensus will change again, and Black Panther has already captured the social political zeitgeist in a huge way in the US (which is also where TDK had that impact, both had far less of that internationally) and had lots of people that didn't watch superhero films go out and see it. It's not a unique thing, and in neither case it made the films better.

24. YJ1 Armed and Dangerous

9.5/10

Wow… paying off ten years of excellence was mostly worthwhile and genuinely shocking.

This movie assumes you are a fan and know these characters. It jumps right in to the action with no set up or exposition. You are IN this movie right from the start. The development and ground work from the other 18 films pave the way for a truly emotional drama and mind-blowing experience. And that’s just what this movie is… an experience. It’s a thrill ride start to finish including genuine “white knuckle” fear for some favorite characters.

A valid complaint would have to be that this is without a doubt a part 1. It’s kind of an incomplete adventure. Yet, having to sit an entire year contemplating what we saw and what’s going to happen now only adds to the fun.

The after credits scenes is probably the best of any Marvel film.

Also, some characters really do get very little screen time. Surprised at how little Cap, Hulk and Black Panther had to do.

Overall, Infinity War is every bit as epic as advertised and a year can’t fly by fast enough.

25. sueb1863 Registered

Steve will certainly have a lot more to do in the next part, especially now that most of the cast is gone! But I was also surprised that Steve and Bucky aren't reunited until the movie's almost over and they only have a few lines together. Bucky is hardly in the movie at all, though he gets some good stuff to do.