Solo The Scoundrel - Alden Ehrenreich is Han Solo

Multi-film deals don't have to mean anything as it only obliges the actor, not the company. We've heard nothing about them doing more Solo films, and it seems even less likely now that they've gotten two new trilogies in the works.

One can never say never, but I think that Solo needs to be a huge success in order for them to start making up new stories for Han as it sounds like they hit the big beats we know about in this one.

Mjölnir;36325043 said:
Multi-film deals don't have to mean anything as it only obliges the actor, not the company. We've heard nothing about them doing more Solo films, and it seems even less likely now that they've gotten two new trilogies in the works.

One can never say never, but I think that Solo needs to be a huge success in order for them to start making up new stories for Han as it sounds like they hit the big beats we know about in this one.
The concept of the Solo trilogy has been rumored multiple times.

But not even the point. If this was a straight up one off, they would have signed him to the same deal the Rogue One folks were. They didn't.

But not even the point. If this was a straight up one off, they would have signed him to the same deal the Rogue One folks were. They didn't.

But never with anything substantial behind it, and given the announcements they've made I see it as pretty unlikely.

Of course if Solo turns out to be a big hit things can change quickly. I'm sure they contracted him so they had the option open should they want to, but it's not very uncommon for actors to sign for more films than they actually get to do.

Mjölnir;36325111 said:
But never with anything substantial behind it, and given the announcements they've made I see it as pretty unlikely.

Of course if Solo turns out to be a big hit things can change quickly. I'm sure they contracted him so they had the option open should they want to, but it's not very uncommon for actors to sign for more films than they actually get to do.

The films that have been recently announced aren't Anthology films. Instead they seem to be distinct trilogies to take the place of the Episode trilogy when it's finished.

Disney has been deliberately quite about future anthology films, but we know there will be more Anthology films so it's entirely possible that two of those future Anthology films will be Solo films.

It's silly to think Disney doesn't already want a Han Solo trilogy. Of course they do. Han is one of the most popular characters in the franchise and they significantly invested in this film. They reshot 80% of this film, brought in Howard, and dropped a lot of money on this film. They wouldn't do that for just a one off dead end. They want this investment to lead to future films.

Last edited:
The films that have been recently announced aren't Anthology films. Instead they seem to be distinct trilogies to take the place of the Episode trilogy when it's finished.

Disney has been deliberately quite about future anthology films, but we know there will be more Anthology films so it's entirely possible that two of those future Anthology films will be Solo films.

I think that it's not unlikely that the two different trilogies will alternate years, as if they follow each other and every other year has a Star Wars Story the latter trilogy will have to start in 2027. It's of course also possible that they will have more than one SW film in a year as well.

And as I said, it's certainly possible that we'll get more Solo films, I just think that other ones are more likely. I think a Kenobi film is more likely than that, but it's been very quiet on that front as well.

Last edited:
What's interesting is we still don't have confirmation on the next anthology film yet. There's been talk and reports of Obi-Wan Kenobi, but no announcement from Disney yet. That said, they might be holding off for a good reason.

What's interesting is we still don't have confirmation on the next anthology film yet. There's been talk and reports of Obi-Wan Kenobi, but no announcement from Disney yet. That said, they might be holding off for a good reason.

Probably holding off because of Solo. If it bombs they go ahead with Obi for 2020. If Solo is a success and well received they fast track Solo 2 for 2020.

Probably holding off because of Solo. If it bombs they go ahead with Obi for 2020. If Solo is a success and well received they fast track Solo 2 for 2020.

I'm not sure that's the exact reasoning.

I think starting in 2020 or 2021 we might start seeing the May/Dec yearly Star Wars cycle.

I think with an acting coach Ingruber could've pulled off Solo naturally. Plus it'd be watching Ford as Solo. But anyway, it's too late, movie's cast, done, and dusted.

So what do you guys think about that report that the acting coach was hired so Alden could do a better Ford impersonation? I really hope they don't go that route. I hope this is more like Chris Pine as Captain Kirk; an actor that has the basic look and the swagger but isn't trying to do an impression of the previous one. From what we've seen in the trailers, he doesn't seem to be impersonating Ford, but I suppose it's possible that that is what they wanted from him.

As a guy who doesn't have much faith in Alden Ehrenreich (or as I call him - Aldrich KillingHAN), can people who have seen the movie comment on moments that they really got the Han vibe from him. Where he really nailed the Han persona. I know he's not yet "the Han we know & love", I'm just curious.

You're just so clever!

jqyo0gY.gif

The lead actress in RO was signed to multiple pictures as well.

They killed her.

Last I checked, Alden-Han's still kickin'.

As a guy who doesn't have much faith in Alden Ehrenreich (or as I call him - Aldrich KillingHAN), can people who have seen the movie comment on moments that they really got the Han vibe from him. Where he really nailed the Han persona. I know he's not yet "the Han we know & love", I'm just curious.
To me, it's with his relationship with Chewie. They nailed it, from my point of view. You feel the start of this great friendship. That's when Alden Han felt the most like Han.

Besides that, it's moments here and there, a smile, a line, a look, a glance, a position. But Alden mostly has his very own interpretation of the character. And he's not bad. He's not AMAZING but he plays the part.

So what do you guys think about that report that the acting coach was hired so Alden could do a better Ford impersonation? I really hope they don't go that route. I hope this is more like Chris Pine as Captain Kirk; an actor that has the basic look and the swagger but isn't trying to do an impression of the previous one. From what we've seen in the trailers, he doesn't seem to be impersonating Ford, but I suppose it's possible that that is what they wanted from him.

Original reports were that it was to help him with the improv when Miller and Lord were still attached.

Regardless, as someone who does work in the industry, the acting coach stuff is pretty much just news outlets trying to get clickbait. Hiring acting coaches is an incredibly normal thing for many actors to do on projects. It's not a sign of an inexperienced actor, it's simply another tool that performers often use to help with their character work.

The news outlets are running with this story because most people don't know that.

Yeah, we didn't hear any dirty rumors about acting coaches and lesser-than Alden after the director switch-up.

Sounds like a lot of that was likely the guy being accustomed to actually acting, not improvising 80% or whatever of scenes on the spot under Lord & Miller, the coach was probably to try to bridge that gap due to their wacky directorial bull****.

Those rumors basically dried up as soon as Howard came in.

Sounds like a lot of that was likely the guy being accustomed to actually acting, not improvising 80% or whatever of scenes on the spot under Lord & Miller, the coach was probably to try to bridge that gap due to their wacky directorial bull****.
As a fan of the Jump Street film series I wish we could see their take on Solo in an alternate timeline though. :woot: From a cinephile perspective I was really eager to see a Star Wars movie with their spirit, even if it didn't feel "canon" or consistent with the saga or whatever.
And they cast him. They must have seen something in him that fitted their original vision.
I'm really curious of what this was. Maybe in a documentary in the future. One can dream.

Well, let's be real, Kennedy & Kasdan would have cast him. Or at least Ehrenreich wouldn't have been cast if they didn't approve & sign off on him, L&M don't hold that sort of power.

That's like saying Johnston cast Evans as Cap. He would have had a hand in it, a say, and Chris may have been his choice - but if that happened to conflict with where Feige's head was at with the casting, it'd go Feige's way.

And sure, the Lord & Miller version would have been interesting to see out of pure curiosity. Given the backlash to them by actual film veterans running Lucasfilm, the actors publically admitting it was a cluster**** under their stewardship despite them being nice guys (was it Emilia or Donald who said they felt like "what the hell are we even doing here?"), and it sounding like they basically threw away major elements of Kasdan's script, I doubt it would have been a better movie. Experimental isn't always good.

You're right on the casting. Also at the party after the projection, I heard some people saying Spielberg suggested Alden to Kennedy after seeing him at a Bar Mitzvah. Didn't hear anything about it before but I just did some research and apparently that story came up in 2016.

And yeah, agree, experimental isn't always good. And maybe Solo by L&M would have been their first misstep. We'll never know.

Yeah, vaguely remember something like that about Spielberg & Ehrenreich too. Wouldn't surprise me, Kathleen's pretty clearly someone putting a lot of faith in Steven's advice, Abrams was his suggestion too.

Yeah, we didn't hear any dirty rumors about acting coaches and lesser-than Alden after the director switch-up.

Those rumors basically dried up as soon as Howard came in.

Yep. As an actor myself, I can say that improv is a whole different art from script acting, with its own set of skills and tools you need to understand. If you’re not used to doing a lot of it, it can be really hard.

And even if the guy just wanted an acting coach to keep him on his A-game, that’s not an unusual practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"