some characters from my comic

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by chi-boy, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Valorman Registered

dude...................wow.

2. DV8 Band Loser

I like the slight distortion in the head region . . . it's like part caricature; this is a style that I try to emulate as well, and it keeps drawing interesting when you're not obsessing about anatomy all the time. Truly great work, and again . . .

how old are you?

I'd like to see some tutorial-type stuff on your coloring skills . . . truly great . . . do you layer off the highlights, etc.? Do you use a mouse or wacom tab? Pc or Mac?

3. ookami Registered

I love the one at the top on the left the best sorta like my own creation, but a black girl, no body suit though...that is cool I likes it alot. The one on the bottom is very nice, keep it up babe, very nice indeed.

Wish I had patience to draw, got the talent just need more hours in the day. Inspiring:up:

4. Spider-Who? ERMERGERD!

very nice dude. my only critique would be in the last batch, their heads are to big, but then again, that might be the style you were going for. love the coloring.

5. KingOfDreams Registered

awesome stuff :up:

6. sidkumar Registered

DUDE YOU ARE ONE KICK ASS COLOURIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. i_am_brucelee Registered

nice to see work of this caliber on these pages again. you always were an insipration for me to get back into art. hope you stick around this time. Thanks.

8. Sachsmachine Ribbed for her pleasure

Damn makes me wish I had talent.

9. HULKFish Author of Marlsbeth

very very good!! :up:

Just a wonder though... Why all girls/women?

Also, what does it take to get some feedback around here, I posted a few days ago and have gotten nothing but my own posts?

10. chi-boy Registered

Thanks alot everyone. It's all truely appreciated. :up: :up:

For me they're easier to draw, and plus I like drawing pretty girls :)

11. RAMORE ~The First Avenger~

Great colors:up: I really like the chick with the sword she looks like she could be in Final Fantasy.

12. blah Registered

That swords scares me!
    It's a slaughter sword :(

13. pt_photo_inc Registered

i love the way you handle greys... but is there anyway you can show something with a back ground? i want to see how it all melts together

14. -Æ- Fallen

Thats insanely good...I have some questions, how long have you been studying the human figure (anatonmy). I mean the characters, the faces are just really good.

I mean I just keep on practicing and practicing just cant seem to get past the more cartoonish figures. Although for years I used to draw in manga ka, but when I started out drawing it was nothing but detailed human figures.

I get the same questions from my peers, and art teacher. Just can't break it. Ive been asking this question all over boards, and always get the same answer. Your style is quite different so I just ask you this because you might be able to provide somewhat of a different answer.

Keep up the terrific work!

15. Ronny Shade back for a limited time

got a question. You do your coloring in Photoshop?

What's your method? I'm just getting into computer coloring and its a pain in my butt. Check the avatar for an example of what I've done. so far Ive just stuck to solid colors.

16. chi-boy Registered

To be honest, I don't do alot of backgrounds. It's something I need to work on. Here's a few tho:

This one isn't done yet. Once i get back on my feet I'm gonna add the shading and stuff...
    [​IMG]

This one is from a while back..
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps :)

17. chi-boy Registered

Well I seriously started getting into anatomy and stuff around 14, and back then I just copied people from magazines and catalogs. I remember drawing it as close as possible to the photo, and then sometimes redrawing it in a psuedo-diagram, stylized form isolating the muscles and stuff so I remembered where everything went. I mean, all these years I still have alot of trouble with anatomy and use heavy reference. Alot of artists do so it's nothing to be ashamed of. If you have trouble with a certain pose, find a picture that's similiar and reference it. It's no biggie.

And thanks again on the faces comment, that's something I put alot of effort into. I base alot of my characters off actors, so I spend alot of time finding photos of them with different expressions and angles. I think it's important to make the faces unique and expressive because that's what makes it more than just a compilation of lines on a sheet of paper. I think I owe alot to my love of manga as well. The characters always seem more vibrant and alive in manga than in american comics. It's probably because a manga is drawn and written by one person, so alot is invested in the characters, unlike american comics where the artist changes every month or maybe it's just the insanely large eyes. Who knows.

Anyways, I hope that answered your questions. :up:

18. chi-boy Registered

I basically flat everything on a different layer, and then go in with my tablet and color everything like you would normally with real paint. I usually start off with a tiny brush, maybe 5-9 pixels and do the details, then use a larger brush for the bigger shapes and to blend things in. Of course you come across certain situations where you need to use other tools, but basically that's what I do in a nutshell.:up:

BTW, your avatar ain't bad for just flats.

19. chi-boy Registered

Yeah, big heads are always fun.

I use a PC. I use a mouse to flat, and then a tablet to shade with. Sometimes I use another layer to highlight, so I can shade under it without going over it.

Hope that helps :up:

20. Ronny Shade back for a limited time

tablet, hm?

wish I could afford one.

21. Archangel Emergency & I

Aw man, it's good to have you back. I just hope you last this time.

Kick ass work as always.

22. chi-boy Registered

Thanks, but I only went out to get groceries :)

23. DV8 Band Loser

It does, I need to start taking tutorials and getting my schitzenkopf together . . . you really don't want to answer that age question, do ya? :D

24. ghost113 Registered

I've seen your work before have you posted that black girl and that blonde girl with the gold before?

25. The Last Meatbag Registered

Hello Lionhart, your art is still amazing :O