Sony's Sales Do Well During The Holidays!!!

The Guardian

Forever In Darkness
Reaction score
NIIIIICE!!!:D:D:D:up:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/843/843754p1.html

Sony's Strong Holiday Sales
Almost 4 million units of hardware sold in North America over 2007 holiday season.
by Jeff Haynes

January 7, 2008 - Over the weekend, Sony announced their hardware sales figures for the 2007 holiday sales window, and the numbers across all three systems were quite impressive. Combining sales for the PS3, PS2 and PSP, Sony sold more than 3.9 million units of hardware in North America from November 23rd to December 31st. Claiming success with the Daxter and Star Wars Battlefront PSP Entertainment packs, Sony moved 1.4 million handheld systems during this period. The PS2 remained a consistent seller, moving more than 1.3 million units in its eighth holiday season. The PS3 had a solid holiday as well, moving 1.2 million hardware units in the same period.

Jack Tretton commented on the success of the PlayStation brand over the holidays, stating, "The PlayStation brand ended the year in a very strong position and clearly indicates more positive momentum going into 2008. We are particularly pleased to have sold through 1.2 million units of PS3 during the holiday selling season. The strong PS3 sales also further establish Blu-ray's dominant position as the high-definition medium of choice for games and movies. Consumers are clearly responding to the expanding multimedia capabilities and a great line-up of over 200 games."

its expected but still good to hear

PS3 has actually done better in its first year of sales than the Xbox 360 did in its. With a little luck, it should be catching up with Xbox 360 in '08, especially with all its heavy hitters coming. Xbox 360 doesn't have much of an '08 lineup yet, so I think sales are going to slow down a bit this year (they were already down in '07 from the year before).

Actually the Playstation 3 has started to outsell the Xbox 360 worldwide by a decent margin. Recent sales graphs have shown it too look like this now:

2008sincelaunch.jpg

The funny thing is that it doesn't even have any AAA games yet.

The PS3 usually does tend to outsell the 360 in foreign markets. It crushes it in Japan and does better in Europe. Its the US, where it falters. Its closing teh gap, but not as quick as Sony might have liked

Well, at least 2008 looks like the year when Sony can turn the tides. Year 1 was definitely rocky, but Sony managed to outperform X360's 1st year, even without a "Gears of War" sized hit. In 2008, the heavy hitters like Metal Gear Solid 4 and Killzone 2 are coming, and so far, Microsoft has announced next to nothing. I definitely can see the gap closing next Christmas, or possibly even see PS3 passing Xbox 360. And the fact that the hi-def format was is pretty much over now should help too, since consumers will be eying PS3 more and more as the all-in-one entertainment solution.

I'd imagine a lot of high-def enthusiasts will end up getting a Playstation 3 for blu-ray now that the HD Format War is all but over now.

I agree, it's been a thought of mine since the announcement by WB

Actually the Playstation 3 has started to outsell the Xbox 360 worldwide by a decent margin. Recent sales graphs have shown it too look like this now:

2008sincelaunch.jpg

The funny thing is that it doesn't even have any AAA games yet.

According to that graph, the 360 is still ahead by millions of units.

yes overall, but that graph is projecting the PS3 to eventually overtake Xbox360 sales

A graph I made projects me taking a steamy **** on this thread in the near future.

I think that was on 4chan. Were there Portuguese midgets involved in yours?

According to that graph, the 360 is still ahead by millions of units.
your looking at it wrong. I think he was referring at the 360's sales at this same point last year compared to teh PS3 now

Right, the PS3 in ahead of the 360 relative to lifespan, that difference will probably only increase in 08.

But its the only way he can look at it to get a pro-MS view. Why can't you be sensitive of other people's feelings!!!

But its the only way he can look at it to get a pro-MS view. Why can't you be sensitive of other people's feelings!!!

Or because its true...? The way everyone worded their sentences said that the PS3 had sold more units worldwide than the 360. Well, is that true? Or is it on pace to do so. Its on pace to beat it.

Right, the PS3 in ahead of the 360 relative to lifespan, that difference will probably only increase in 08.
Now that Blu-Ray is the unofficial standard, PS3 sales will likely pick up. I wouldn't count on the attach rate improving though. :cwink:

However, this article is about Sony products in general, including the PS2 and PSP. The PS3 didn't sell anywhere NEAR 4 million units. :D

There are also many reasons to pick up a 360. While the PS3 has the 2 massive AAA titles this year (Killzone, MGS), there are some solid titles out for the 360. Alan Wake, Fable 2, and Too Human to name a few. If Epic has done enough work on GoW2, maybe even see that later this year (I honestly doubt it, but who knows). Seeing as we might see a PS3 drop in price, I bet we see one for the 360 as well this year.

Glasses are pretty cheap these days you know.

I'll have to give it a whirl then. But it wasn't just my eyes that were hurting when i saw the formulaic gameplay, the boring/trying to be badass bar cutscene, or the general lack of any semblance of potential enjoyment....it was my soul too. :csad:

The game is pretty though....I'll give it that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"