Comics Spider-girl digests - worth reading?

dbzking

Civilian
Reaction score
I was just looking through some of my old Trades and I found the 1st spider-girl digest 'legacy' containing Spidergirl #0-#5 which I never read

Now I understand that SG has had a relaunch and has started again from issue 1 and I was going to read these but I just wanted to know if it's worth collecting and reading the older digests of SG or just start from the new series?

It's good to see another Spider-Girl fan around here.

It's definitely worth getting the SG digests. Don't let the numbering fool you; "Amazing Spider-Girl" is just a continuation of the original SG series, not a reboot.

In my opinion, you can't really go wrong with either of them. SG and ASG are the two best sources of modern web-swinging action you can find today, even beating Bendis' USM (my favorite of the Spider-Man titles).

Baffling that I didn’t get into it earlier.
From what little I’ve read it takes the personal dilemmas of a character, from family abuse to cancer, before major world events, unlike the 616 run on all things. I look at it as if the main Marvel universe is incorporating in itself too much influence from the real world. Yet ironically it constantly is revolving in loops, always renewing and retconing itself, never quite changing anything, only applying the illusion of change.
On the other hand I only had to look at it once to understand that the 982 universe is the one that evolved, leaving past events and characters in the past, letting them grow old and making way to new ideas that built upon that past. At the same time maintaining that old school style of comic book writing. It is after all, one man’s, a fan’s, own fantasy, as it should be in my opinion. Having too many writers on one subject hurts the premise. Better to have one constant writer for a time, then change him for another when the time comes, not have them active simultaneously.
Btw, I got to say, Captain America’s death was 100% better in 982 than it was in 616. It was a great death, a hero’s death. The fiction medium can either be realistical, with all the gloom and uncertainties of real life, or it could be entertaining, fun, suspending disbelief. The superhero genre is far from realistical, so why can’t a superhero’s death, or a supervillain’s for that matter, be grand as a rule?
Ok, that was quite the rambling…
Anyways, I look forward to collecting ASG myself, and then eventually I might get some SG digests. We’ll see.

I've also been collecting some old digests of Spider-Girl (along with the new series). It's definately worth the look...

Of course, I'm a fan of "Normie" Osborn (Harry's son), soI just think the older ones show some excellent background material on the starting relationships of the characters and the growth. Then the more recent issues make even more sense.

But I agree with Brand, you really can't go wrong with either. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"