Comics Doesn't anyone else read Spider-Girl??

Hi guys

I just published my third Spider-Girl article on Suite 101, an independent online magazine, all about -- YOU!

Yep, that's right -- this new Spider-Girl article is all about Mayday's fans, and how you all helped save her comic book from cancellation -- again and again. Hopefully, this can help more fans rally behind current efforts to save The Amazing Spider-Girl.

You can see the article "Saving Spider-Girl: How Comic Book Fans Rescued a Cult Favorite... Again and Again" (along with a photo provided by our own Lisa Davis) here:
http://graphicnovelscomics.suite101.com/article.cfm/saving_spidergirl

And if you haven't seen them yet, here are the links to my other two Spider-Girl articles:

How Peter Parker's Daughter Became a Superhero:
http://graphicnovelscomics.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_peter_parkers_daughter_became_a_superhero

A Spider-Girl is Born*
http://graphicnovelscomics.suite101.com/article.cfm/a_spidergirl_is_born

* Winner of Suite 101's Editor's Choice Award!

And please take some time to read some of my other articles -- listed here: http://www.suite101.com/writer_articles.cfm/spidercat

Hope you like the articles!

Sweet articles, man.

I just read # 27 today and I am very into the story more than ever. They CANNOT cancel this!! Argh! Anyway really liking where things are going and can't wait to see May save the day!

What does everyone else think?

Sweet articles, man.

I just read # 27 today and I am very into the story more than ever. They CANNOT cancel this!! Argh! Anyway really liking where things are going and can't wait to see May save the day!

What does everyone else think?

I don't like the book as much as I used to. I think it lost something when Pat Olliffe left and they stopped doing stand-alone stories and started doing 4 and 6 part arcs like all the other Marvel books. Now I usually just check 'em out at the store. I don't think Spider-Girl fans should be too sad about the impending cancellation. All things considered it's had a GREAT run considering its sales are consistently below 20,000 (ASG#26 only sold around 14,000!). With the two series and annuals combined, there will have been more than 130 Spider-Girl issues. Not to mention all the minis and spin-offs that came out of it. Not bad for a comic that on the sales-chart struggles to crack the top 100 on a monthly basis. Spider-Girl has gone on long enough, left enough of an impression and legacy that even if she's cancelled, she'll pop up in various back-up stories and minis for years and probably decades to come. Maybe even a new on-going one day. But for now, I think the book has run its course both sales wise and quality storytelling wise.

This current arc going on in ASG is f***ing gold. I love it. I'm one of those people that don't out right hate the Clone Saga. It's weird though. When the Clone Saga was first building in the 90's, I hated it. I dropped Spider-man all together and just stopped reading. Later on, I went back and started reading it over again. There was some damn good writing going on in there and I actually ended up liking it. Of course, Marvel had to go on, Milk the series and let it drag on way too long.

Whatever.. I'm loving the arc in ASG right now. I hate that it's been canceled. Seems like I'm on a Spider-man diet. I don't collect 616 anymore. Weird not to be picking up my favorite character . All I have is USM and this title.

Do what I do, Raging; pick up ASM through the discount bins. It feels a helluva lot better an' Marvel doesn't directly collect off those sales.

Do what I do, Raging; pick up ASM through the discount bins. It feels a helluva lot better an' Marvel doesn't directly collect off those sales.

I'm on and off with ASM.

As a whole, BND has been mediocre at best. Sometimes I pick up an issue if it looks interesting (Like the recent Subway arc with the shocker or NWTD) but most of the stories just don't interest me.

After BND I haven't read one spidey book. All I read is spidergirl and that new xmen spidey crossover with ben in it.

I'm with ya, Ramore. Only Spidey book I still get is Family 'cause it's got May-continuity stories in there.

Finished reading the issue twice last night, now onwards to my thoughts and impressions:

Keeping it in Spoiler tags:

Ok, I must say...Peter(or should I say Norman in Pete's body) as the Green Goblin kicks ass! Literally, he takes out Urich, Darkdevil and beats down Kaine!

I like the Black Tarantula, the guy just oozes cool, and I'm interested in his past relationship with Arana and how it will affect them in the next two issues when they meet up again.

I love the scene with Mayday, Mary Jane and Benjy. Especially when Benjy jumps into May's arms. A great tender moment to this otherwise perilless time. I also like spirit (Aunt)May's reaction to Mayday's family. One can really feel her sadness and disbelief when she sees her own nephew beating down on his daughter.
Nasty beating GG puts on May, notice a distress Peter in the Goblin's eye during this scene. Peter is in there somewhere.

Now, here is the most interesting developement...The New May's changing as observed by Arana off-panel. I can't wait to see her true face or form and what will it look like?

In other Spider-Girl news, Tom Brennan has confirmed the first Spider-Girl story in ASM Family will be 22 pages long. Tom DeFlaco pretty much confirmed this in the Crawlspace Podcast.
Again Ron Frenz and Sal Buscema bring the goods with their top notch artwork

22 pages is always good. Now let's just hope they don't cancel Family!

But, as always, another great SG issue. I dunno why more old-school Spidey fans ain't on this book.

22 pages is always good. Now let's just hope they don't cancel Family!

But, as always, another great SG issue. I dunno why more old-school Spidey fans ain't on this book.

The sad thing is, they will soon have all the Spidey I care to read in one book. Mr and Mrs Spider-Man and Spider-Girl. If they cancel Family, I'll be pissed.

As for why more old school Spidey fans aren't on this book, it's probably because:

1) Barack Obama isn't on the cover.
Sorry, cheap shot, but if I've heard nothing but Obama on every television show nad commercial for the past effing year. Ugh.

2) They need to complete their "collections".
With ASM coming out 3 times a month, all of people's money for other books is being sucked into the ASM-beast...and "collectors" don't like gaps in their collection.

3) They haven't given it an honest shot.
If you can pick up the first volume of Spider-Girl, read her origin, and not feel completely compelled to keep reading, then I don't call you a Spidey fan. It feels more like Spidey than Spidey does.

4) People fear change.
It's tough to get people to try a new book. Also, when they here that there are no mega-crossover tie-ins, and that the issues don't have 20 variant covers that go on ebay for over 20 bucks a pop (even when the issue sucks), then they figure "why bother"?

I don't know...I feel it's a shame.

The sad thing is, they will soon have all the Spidey I care to read in one book. Mr and Mrs Spider-Man and Spider-Girl. If they cancel Family, I'll be pissed.

As for why more old school Spidey fans aren't on this book, it's probably because:
Another big reason, I think, is that ASG is all that's left of the defunct MC2 universe. It's hard to attract new readers to a title that isn't part of what so many consider to be the "real" Marvel U. At least other titles, like USM, still belong to a shared universe so it's not quite as bad. I think if A-Next and the other MC2 titles had gained a similar following and ongoing status it might have been easier for Spider-Girl to continue.

That's another thing, I dunno why MC2 didn't take off. The only suck title was the Wild Thing book, but that's 'cause they took her J2-established persona an' turned her into Spider-Girl lite. Shoulda left her badass. Then again, it was by Larry Hama an' I ain't been too thrilled with what he's been putting out lately. Dude used to rock the socks on Wolvie fer all those years.

Here are the solicits for Mayday's New Home:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN FAMILY #5
Written by TOM DEFALCO, ABBY DENSON, MARC SUMERAK & TONY LEE
Penciled by RON FRENZ, COLLEEN COOVER, TODD NAUCK & MARK ROBINSON
Cover by RON FRENZ
Never send a man to do a girl's job! That's right, Spider-
Fans, Mayday Parker, the spectacular SPIDER-GIRL joins the Family this month and she's here to stay to answer one crucial question: Who is GWEN REILLY?
Elsewhere, take another trip to the neighborhood battlefield of Forest Hills, Queens, with Aunt May – THE AMAZING
SPIDER MA'AM! And back in our universe, Spidey teams up with brand new foe SCREWBALL in a race against the clock to rescue a young child, and in the Private Life Of Peter Parker, new pal Carlie Cooper shows Pete how a real cop solves crimes -- it's Ladies' month here in the family, so stop on by! 64 pages of ALL-NEW STORIES!
64 PGS./All-New/Rated A …$4.99

Cover:

AmazingSpider-Man5.jpg

Here are the solicits for Mayday's New Home:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN FAMILY #5
Written by TOM DEFALCO, ABBY DENSON, MARC SUMERAK & TONY LEE
Penciled by RON FRENZ, COLLEEN COOVER, TODD NAUCK & MARK ROBINSON
Cover by RON FRENZ
Never send a man to do a girl's job! That's right, Spider-
Fans, Mayday Parker, the spectacular SPIDER-GIRL joins the Family this month and she's here to stay to answer one crucial question: Who is GWEN REILLY? Elsewhere, take another trip to the neighborhood battlefield of Forest Hills, Queens, with Aunt May – THE AMAZING
SPIDER MA'AM! And back in our universe, Spidey teams up with brand new foe SCREWBALL in a race against the clock to rescue a young child, and in the Private Life Of Peter Parker, new pal Carlie Cooper shows Pete how a real cop solves crimes -- it's Ladies' month here in the family, so stop on by! 64 pages of ALL-NEW STORIES!
64 PGS./All-New/Rated A …$4.99

Cover:

AmazingSpider-Man5.jpg

Looks great!

2 points though:

1. Gwen Reilly??? haha! Maybe the clone stays around for a bit, dyes her hair blonde, and assumes that name?

2. The cover, while very cool, has the reflection done wrong. Oh well.

I don't think the reflection is done wrong, look at Spidey, he's doing what looks like a shocked look/double take when he sees May in the window than him....

I think he means that they are in the same pose, when the reality should be that MayDay should be swinging in a mirror image to what Peter is doing...

But if ya notice May's also waving to Spidey, so it's not meant to be literal.

Interview with Tom DeFalco from Comic Book Resources:

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20084

“Spider-Girl” was only supposed to be one issue. When MayDay Parker dunked a basketball on the first page of “What If?” #105, no one at Marvel Comics knew the heroine would anchor the longest running female-driven series in the company’s history. The writer behind that story – and the additional one hundred and thirty over the next twelve years --Tom DeFalco, sure didn’t see that coming.

^^ Wow, one issue? Well, I'm so glad she became so popular, tbh. Such an awesome character and it's so sad to see Amazing Spider-Girl go. Thankfully, though, as I have said, she'll be in Spider-Man Family.

^^ Wow, one issue?

Yeah, she was just supposed to be there for that one "What If" issue.

Ironically, that's very much like how her father got started: debuting in a "throwaway" issue towards the end of a comic series, and becoming so unexpectedly popular that it ended up spawning their own long-running series.

:)

Michael Jung aka Spidercat on the Hype did an interview with Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz, that is published on the Children's Literature Comprehensive Database.

http://www.childrenslit.com/childrenslit/mai_defalco_and_frenz.html

Interview with Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz, Co-Creators of Spider-Girl
May "Mayday" Parker always thought she was an average basketball-loving teenager. She never suspected her dad Peter Parker used to be the legendary Spider-Man, until an injury made him give up his superhero career. But upon turning fifteen, May discovers something amazing–she's inherited her dad's spider-powers! Now May's ready to swing into action as Spider-Girl, and Peter Parker has a new reason to crawl on walls as he tries to keep his daughter from entering the dangerous world of crime fighting.
Created by Spider-Man writer Tom DeFalco and artist Ron Frenz, Spider-Girl tells stories about a possible future where Peter Parker and his girlfriend Mary Jane married and had a daughter. Since her introduction in 1998, Spider-Girl's adventures have been collected into many library-friendly digests and graphic novels the American Library Association calls "an excellent choice for girls". I spoke with Tom and Ron and learned how Spider-Girl was created, the challenges in crafting her monthly comic book The Amazing Spider-Girl, and the finer points of superhero fashion.

Michael Jung: How would you describe Spider-Girl/May Parker?

Ron Frenz: I see May as 50 percent Peter Parker and 50 percent Mary Jane. She's popular to the point where she's friends with both nerds and jocks. But when she becomes Spider-Girl, she can really be true to herself. Because when she's with her geek friends she has to deny her inner-jock and when she's with her jock friends she has to deny her "geekitude"–but as Spider-Girl she's using her brains and her physicality in a way she doesn't have to apologize for. And it gives her this wonderful freedom–so there's this great joy for her in discovering this aspect of her heritage.

MJ: Was May based on a real person?

Tom DeFalco: She was originally based on my niece. My brother, her father, fought in Vietnam and when my sixteen-year-old niece thought about becoming a cop, it threw him into a tizzy. He'd say, "She's only a kid, how can she think about risking her life?" And I said, "But John, when you were eighteen you were in Vietnam!" And he said, "That's different, I knew what I was doing. She doesn't know what she's doing." And I always liked that conflict between a parent who lived an adventuresome life getting nervous that his kid would follow in his footsteps. So when I thought about Spider-Girl, I thought, Man, I can finally use that great dialogue I heard of the two of them arguing all the time!
A lot of readers thought, "Peter Parker was a superhero! He should be thrilled his daughter is a superhero!" Except–Peter knows the dangers of being a crime fighter. In his eyes his little girl will always be his baby. And you don't want your baby to be at risk. I think those are important and natural feelings.

MJ: One thing that struck me as very original in the early Spider-Girl stories is they're narrated in the second person. Why did you decide to do this?

TD: When I was writing the first Spider-Girl story, I went through a dozen false starts. I'd write in a certain voice and it didn't work. And then I was listening to an athlete who was referring to himself in the second person. And I thought–Hmm! So I went upstairs to my office and started writing, and the second person just flowed naturally. And I realized–that's how the athletes like May are always talking to themselves! I get it!

MJ: What is the collaborative process of creating a comic book story like?

TD: Ron and I have worked together for over twenty years and we got into the habit while we were working on Spider-Man to talk about Peter Parker and figure out what he's feeling–what is his mental state, what is he trying to achieve, what's getting in his way? There are times when we spend hours and hours discussing the characters and then we get off the phone and realize, "Man! We never even talked about what the story is!" But the stories flow out of those talks. And we carried over that process to Spider-Girl.

RF: I would assume we collaborate more than most writer-artist teams. Most of the ideas I pitch to Tom during the course of any given day will be about character interactions.

TD: Ron, our inker Sal Buscema, and I get along and we love the craft of making comics. And when the team was made of our original artist Pat Oliffe, inker Al Williamson, and me, the three of us got along great too. I've always maintained that if the creative team is having a great time it shows on the page and the readers have a great time too.

MJ: A lot of readers admire the fact that Spider-Girl is realistically proportioned and not portrayed as a sex object like other female superheroes. Was this a conscious decision?

RF: Yes. May does look like her mom–she's cute as the day is long. But nobody would find her all that ravishing because she doesn't play that up. She doesn't dress that way. In the first story I draw her in baggy jeans and a halter top and at one point she's wearing overalls. And that stuck in Tom and Pat's consciousness, so if you look at the early part of their run, she became very tomboyish.
I love that Mary Jane is into fashion and her daughter is a fashion black hole who doesn't care about it at all. It made sense. It was one of those things where if you could only influence your kids more… But as May's gotten older, we've shown her say to her mom, "Let's go shopping!" And Mary Jane's saying, "Really? You never let me shop for you!"

MJ: As an artist, where do you get ideas for how May and her friends dress?

RF: I watch what kids are wearing. I buy some teen fashion magazines once in a while. My studio is just a couple blocks away from a high school and I see what the kids are wearing. The jean skirts are everywhere.
Our former editor Molly Lazer was invaluable to me. She was constantly giving me feedback on what May was wearing–I would get phone calls from her where she'd be saying, "My sister would so wear that outfit! I love that! You have her wearing Ugg boots! That's so cool!"
Now that we have a male editor, I'll probably have to be the estrogen for the team...

MJ: Both of you have stated that at one point, May Parker made the jump from being just a character to being a real person. How did this happen?

TD: I don't know how or when it happened. But I realized at a certain point that the characters were moving in their own directions. I would sit down, discuss a plot with the artist, and come up with a story. But then when I sat down to write the plot, the stories would move in different directions than I intended. And I thought, "Wow! I don't have to think about writing May's dialogue anymore–it just appears on the page magically!"

RF: To a certain degree the characters write themselves. As I get to a point where I can draw May without looking at my reference sheets, I find the character becomes very real.

MJ: What kind of readers does Spider-Girl appeal to?

TD: I think they appeal to people who are interested in reading stories that are chock full of drama, humor, and action. A problem with today's comics is sometimes you're in the third issue before the story starts. But with Spider-Girl, we always have a lot of stuff going on. We don't want to waste people's money!

RF: Spider-Girl is very much designed for a broad market. I love it when we get letters from young kids and second generation comic book readers. I love hearing stories about families that go on long car trips and bring Spider-Girl digests for their kids to read.

MJ: Comics are getting a lot more respect from librarians and teachers. How do you feel comic books are most valuable?

TD: I've always felt that comic books have one of two values–the story touches something inside you and then the comic book is priceless to you forever. Or it has no effect on you and then it's worthless. I know that's hard to define in terms of price guides, but on a personal level that's what it's all about.
As of March 2009, Spider-Girl will be appearing in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man Family, an anthology Spider-Man comic book, as well as several digest-sized graphic novel collections. Those interested in subscribing should visit Marvel Comics' website.
Arizona-based freelance writer Michael Jung is the Children's Books Feature Writer for Suite 101, an online magazine. Read his articles on comic book culture and children's literature by visiting him at http://www.suite101.com/writer_articles.cfm/spidercat
Ask Tom and Ron your questions at the Spider-Girl Message Board:
http://www.comicboards.com/spidergirl/
Contributor: Michael Jung

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"