The Amazing Spider-Man "SPIDER-MAN 4 Production on Indefinite Hold "....NOT!...or Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess i'd disagree with the idea that a good director or even a good screenwriter can make most of Spiderman's villans look good. Mysterio would be laughable based on his costume alone, even if you give Kraven a black leather jacket and steriods people would be like...So Spiderman vs Barry Bonds? Seriously , the majority of the villans wouldn't make it even with Clint Eastwood directing it. But I agree with you otherwise.

Mysterio's costume can be changed. In fact there was even a pretty sweet costume for him in the Manip thread that lacked the fishbowl. Mysterio actually has some of the best potential to be a good villain for a film in my eyes simply because he would create the greatest spectacle. He would bring something no other villain would thanks to his special effects and tricks. And the story options for him are countless because he always does such a great job screwing with Spidey's mind. Discounting all that because of the costume being silly is ridiculous, IMO.

Kraven could easily be made into a threat. I would actually make him kind of like Stalker, the Kraven rip off from Batman Beyond.

Last edited:
Mysterio's costume can be changed. In fact there was even a pretty sweet costume for him in the Manip thread that lacked the fishbowl. Mysterio actually has some of the best potential to be a good villain for a film in my eyes simply because he would create the greatest spectacle. He would bring something no other villain would thanks to his special effects and tricks. And the story options for him are countless because he always does such a great job screwing with Spidey's mind. Discounting all that because of the costume being silly is ridiculous, IMO.

Kraven could easily be made into a threat. I would actually make him kind of like Stalker, the Kraven rip off from Batman Beyond.

If it is the same design team that thought it be a great idea to give James Franco more face time in that horrific excuse for costume, I wouldn't trust them to re-imagine Mysterio... Just sayin'

I don't think JJ should ever be involved like that.

Jameson has been involved with countless bad guys in the comics. He's employed Scorpion, Electro, Mysterio and the Spider-Slayers.

I wouldn't mind Jameson/Scorpion story actually. Jameson finally gets sick of trying and failing to smear Spidey's name, so he takes a more pro-active approach.

But seeing as he has only be comedy relief so far (great comedy relief I might add) I doubt he'd be considered as a main part of the story.

If it is the same design team that thought it be a great idea to give James Franco more face time in that horrific excuse for costume, I wouldn't trust them to re-imagine Mysterio... Just
sayin'

Good point, but there is always potential. Harry's arc in S3 was the only villain arc I liked despite the stupid costume.

Spider-man villain has to be visually stunning. Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Sandman (which you have to admit, many of his scenes were really cool), Venom (also had a couple cool scenes), Green Goblin 2 (best fight of Spider-man 3), and you want to follow that up with Vulture? Are you kidding me? Do the Lizard already! It seems obvious.
Vulture would be pretty cool, if they made it like Spider-Man: Web of Shadows where he's like Arch-Angel with metal wings that shoot out daggers.

I don't see the BS, cause if Sony was pushing a villain into the film due to fan desire, it wouldn't be this Vulturess thing. It would be the Lizard, but we've heard nothing about Sony wanting the Lizard. Only a small report on them not wanting the Lizard.

What do you think the BS is exactly?

That they'd push a brand-new villain. Hell, they could even use Carnage or Black Cat. Who are the second & third most wanted.

After the Green Goblin in SM-1, I know Raimi and the studio were put off any future villains that have their faces hidden. I remember Raimi and Arad saying one of the great things about Doc Ock was that we can see his face all the time, and see the villain's emotions, rather than have it hidden behind a mask.

I think that's why Harry wasn't a Goblin in SM-3. And the only time he wore that ridiculous paint baller's mask was for the first 60 seconds of his first fight with Peter.

Even Venom peeled back the symbiote to have Topher's face revealed to deliver all the dialogue. You can't do anything like that with The Lizard. It's probably why the studio is resisting using him. It's not like he has not got a great story to tell, which is very different to what they did with Doc Ock, despite what some people think.

Connors offers a whole different dynamic, being a friend of Peter's, having a family being put in jeopardy when he becomes a villain, and keeping his identity as the Lizard secret from everyone. Not to mention his goals are not as grandiose as Doc Ock's.

Connors offers a whole different dynamic, being a friend of Peter's, having a family being put in jeopardy when he becomes a villain, and keeping his identity as the Lizard secret from everyone. Not to mention his goals are not as grandiose as Doc Ock's.

Actually the Lizard has a pretty grandiose plan. He wants lizards to take over the world.

Actually the Lizard has a pretty grandiose plan. He wants lizards to take over the world.

Ehhhh, that was a one off thing they did. Like when they had Doc Ock try to marry Aunt May in order to get his hands on some nuclear facility she'd inherited.

They're not going to adapt such a silly story on screen.

Jameson has been involved with countless bad guys in the comics. He's employed Scorpion, Electro, Mysterio and the Spider-Slayers.
yes but in the movies all scenes with Jonah and the bugle all have a much lighter and less serious tone than the bugle scenes in the comic books.

and just because they did it in the comics that doesn't mean they should do it in the movies too.

yes but in the movies all scenes with Jonah and the bugle all have a much lighter and less serious tone than the bugle scenes in the comic books.

and just because they did it in the comics that doesn't mean they should do it in the movies too.

Thats true but its still a possibility. I keep thinking that we never got resolution on John Jameson's humiliation at the alter in SM2. I'm still waiting for that sub-plot to show up again. The actor that played John said he was under contract to be in two films.

After the Green Goblin in SM-1, I know Raimi and the studio were put off any future villains that have their faces hidden. I remember Raimi and Arad saying one of the great things about Doc Ock was that we can see his face all the time, and see the villain's emotions, rather than have it hidden behind a mask.

I think that's why Harry wasn't a Goblin in SM-3. And the only time he wore that ridiculous paint baller's mask was for the first 60 seconds of his first fight with Peter.

Even Venom peeled back the symbiote to have Topher's face revealed to deliver all the dialogue. You can't do anything like that with The Lizard. It's probably why the studio is resisting using him. It's not like he has not got a great story to tell, which is very different to what they did with Doc Ock, despite what some people think.

I didnt think of Vulture as being a better choice due to the lack of a mask. From the studio's POV that would make sense. I wouldnt mind Vulture being the villain but I really wanted a Lizard/Kraven movie. :csad:

Last edited:

Thisi s true. And that goes for quite a few things in every comic book film. Besides, alot of people love the comedic Jameson in the films, such as myself.

Thisi s true. And that goes for quite a few things in every comic book film. Besides, alot of people love the comedic Jameson in the films, such as myself.

I miss the scheming, screaming mad JJJ. :csad:

Again I don't mind Vulture, but I really don't want him as the only villain. Spidey needs more of a challenge. That's why I say bring in Electro also because Spidey literally cannot touch him and he'll have to beat him with something other his fists.

Vulture could be the brains. Electro the braun.

I could see that actually. I wouldn't want more then two though. As long as this film isn't as bloated as part 3 that will definitely be a plus.

Why can't we get Lizard/Kraven? Or even Electro?

I will get on board a Vulture movie, but it will take plenty to get me pumped....

-R

I will get on board a Vulture movie, but it will take plenty to get me pumped....

-R

I think they need a little more epic of a villain rather than the vulture... yea the vulture is cool, but he is secondary on the list of "dangerous" villains. So I agree it will take a lot to get me pumped for this movie.

According to My Entertainment World, it looks like they still want to start in March.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]SPIDER-MAN 4 - Late February/Early March, 2010 - Los Angeles, CA & New York, NY; Details Are only Available By Subscription.. (Posted: September 8, 2008. Revised: January 6, 2010)[/SIZE][/FONT]

MEW is a reliable source and that information was updated on January 6 so we'll see.

I guess i'd disagree with the idea that a good director or even a good screenwriter can make most of Spiderman's villans look good. Mysterio would be laughable based on his costume alone, even if you give Kraven a black leather jacket and steriods people would be like...So Spiderman vs Barry Bonds? Seriously , the majority of the villans wouldn't make it even with Clint Eastwood directing it. But I agree with you otherwise.
I said most, not all. I personally don't like Mysterio, Black Cat or The Vulture in the comics, so I wouldn't be for either of them on film.

The Lizard
Kraven
Electro
The Scorpion
Shocker
The Rhino
Tombstone
Carnage

Silvermane (yes, Spidey even has crime lords)
Spencer Smythe (whom I think should be the one who designs and help build Scorpion's battle suit)

Spider-Man has enough villains to make at least 3 more really good or even great films before rebooting. Do not take light about having the right director at the helm, if Peter Jackson can put together a GREAT movie with wizards, orgs, a giant spider, giant eagles, dragons...then Spider-Man on all levels is a walk in the park. Not every Spider-Man villain has to be some flashy ass in a pretty costume, which is another reason why I like Kraven.

The key is, everything that surrounds Spider-Man should be serious, as realistic as possible (besides Spidey/Villain(s)). A movie not made for kids, but for older teens and adults, that you know kids will love. This will allow writers to actually write something with meat on it. Spider-Man/Peter should be our only source for non-physical banter--not everyone at the damn Daily Bugle.

The really sad part is, even Harry Potter is growing up in his films, becoming more mature along with his cast of characters. And his villains are becoming more deadly, evil and creepy as hell. Yet, Spider-Man is sitting in the same category as BEN-10, what's wrong with this picture?

Last edited:

-R

Needless to say, Sony needs to quit meddling and leave Raimi alone. I supported SM3 HEAVILY but won't throw them more money if they overcrowd the film again. They better not go off the last box office gage. Fans need a return to SM2 greatness in order to back this project.

In most average people's eyes, Black Cat = Catwoman for the most part. Shouldn't that fact scare the hell out of Sony all by itself?

Look at the side by side photo of Malkovich and Vulture in that story above. That's PERFECT casting when you add in the depth and character that Malkovich brings to the table.

In most average people's eyes, Black Cat = Catwoman for the most part. Shouldn't that fact scare the hell out of Sony all by itself?

Its probably why the suits at Sony got the "great" idea of making her Vultress instead. :o

I think Raimi should jump ship if things keep getting messier between him and the studio.

Maybe that way Sony will start working those meta reboot/semi-continuation scripts that Vanderbilt has been working on for a couple of years for them.

Raimi now should just focus on his next franchise which is World of Warcraft.

Don't think even Sony has any of that in mind at all.

It would continue the story only with a completely different director at the helm with a whole new cast.

Art design, and character dynamics would all be changed according to what the director thinks fitting.

Think what The Incredible Hulk (2008) was to Hulk (2003). Plus Sony already has this in mind anyway.

SM4 was supposed to be the "proper" send off to Raimi's take on SM but things are seemingly falling apart. If they can't all get together behind something, Sony might as well just start with their plan to continue the SM story only with a new directors perspective.

Why does it always have to be some sort of crappy ultimatum?

Raimi has had a good amount of time with the series. Would it be good if they all work things out and Raimi will be able to contently work on SM4?

Of course. I still loved what Raimi did in both SM1 & 2. I still have faith that he can make a good SM film.

What I'm worried about is the lack of partnership and mutual amiable negotiating that Sony and Raimi are unable to do.

Thats the thing. I don't want another or possibly worse than SM3 to be birthed after all is said and done because of major disagreements during pre production.

All I'm saying is if they can't agree its better for Raimi to step down as he won't be able to create his vision and Sony if they lack the confidence find a director that is capable and willing to work with some of the studios recommendation (demands).

:word:

Not to make this an I told you so thread, but I never felt that they'd get the cast back for a fourth film once the sequel was not fast tracked for 2009. Turns out they did but the movie still didn't happen. I figured the best viable option, when it seemed like it was apparent Raimi and Co. were not doing SM4 any time soon, was to restart in 2012, which got me flamed by many, including a former banned user. I didn't expect them to revert to high school though. That is shocking. To me this is all about getting Venom set up the right way, because I think they are just annoyed that Brock is dead. Otherwise it would have been a quasi-sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"