Homecoming Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 91

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed.

It's not supposed to be based on the template of the main male protagonist chasing after a hot girl while ignoring the geeky girl beside him all along, and when he finally stops chasing the hot girl and opens his eyes he sees that the geeky girl is the one he always wanted and she also turns out to be hot. That is completely wrong.

The correct template is supposed to be that the male protagonist is geeky and can't get a certain hot girl who is out of his league, and faces stiff competition from an alpha male who should naturally get the girl. But then, if anything, it is the hot girl who steps down a level and gives the boy who was there all along a chance, not the other way round.

exactly!!

and here, we no longer have the alpha male, either. because Flash has been reduced to being an "intellectual rival" trash talker who looks no more intimidating than Peter.

so, all the character types and templates are messed up!!

Adaptation

Peter starting out as a handsome, confidant, popular HS jock who becomes more interested in science after the spider bite who then starts looking and acting more nerdy to fit in with his new geek friends would also be an "adaptation" of the Spider-Man mythos.

but, would it be the right adaptation?

no, cuz it would basically change the character into an entirely different character.

the character above, by the end of the film, "transforms" into "classic" science geek Peter. But he does that by starting at a very different place - the total opposite of his character.

And in so doing, you have essentially changed the character to a different character.

because the above arc in no way resembles the arc Peter Parker is supposed to have.

Peter starting out as a handsome, confidant, popular HS jock who becomes more interested in science after the spider bite who then starts looking and acting more nerdy to fit in with his new geek friends would also be an "adaptation" of the Spider-Man mythos.

but, would it be the right adaptation?

no, cuz it would basically change the character into an entirely different character.

the character above, by the end of the film, "transforms" into "classic" science geek Peter. But he does that by starting at a very different place - the total opposite of his character.

And in so doing, you have essentially changed the character to a different character.

because the above arc in no way resembles the arc Peter Parker is supposed to have.
Completely different situation Mary Jane isn't the title character a change like that would result in no one caring about this project a supporting characters changing yet serving the same long run purpose is not that situation same with Aunt may & Flash.

Last edited:
Completely different situation Mary Jane isn't the title character

so, because you are not the titular character, you can have your character type and story arc all twisted around?

MJ isn't some minor 2nd or 3rd tier supporting character, like Liz or Sally.

Alfred isn't the title character in the Batman films, either. He's always been portrayed as the Wayne family's loyal butler.

would you want a Batman film where Bruce doesn't meet Alfred until he's an adult? where Alfred is a degenerate gambler who's now homeless and Bruce "rescues" him from the streets and hires him as his butler?

because Alfred isn't the title character, it would be ok if they changed his entire character type and story arc like that?

I wouldn't want to see that in any Batman film.

Last edited:
so, because you are not the titular character, you can have your character type and story arc all twisted around?

No Mj isn't a 2nd or 3rd tier supporting character but Spider-Man worked way before Mary Jane was a thought.Meaning the bread & butter is always the Peter/Spider-man journey.

Last edited:
No Mj isn't a 2nd or 3rd tier supporting character but Spider-Man worked way before Mary Jane was a thought.Meaning the bread & butter is always the Peter/Spider-man journey.

but the supporting characters are just as important to the main character.

especially someone like MJ, who has become Peter's most iconic LI.

there has to be some degree of consistency.

Alfred isn't the title character in the Batman films, either. He's always been portrayed as the Wayne family's loyal butler.

would you want a Batman film where Bruce doesn't meet Alfred until he's an adult? where Alfred is a degenerate gambler who's now homeless and Bruce "rescues" him from the streets and hires him as his butler?

because Alfred isn't the title character, it would be ok if they changed his entire character type and story arc like that?

Lol that would be a silly change but Alfred is a great example Earth one Batman changed his normal mytho's completely & it worked DC seems to be drawing from that right now.Also never said you can have your character type and story arc all twisted but some change will be much more acceptable Joker not being Perma-acid Joker or Bane without the Venom serum Aunt May being much younger Pym being an Old man. As long as they serve the purpose that they should have in the long run I am okay with it. Bad change for me is Sandman killing Ben or Joker Killing Bruce parents or Spider-Mans bite not being an accident but a family project stuff like that is when I'm vocal.

Last edited:

latest

*shivers*

I'm mainly staying out of this debate. But I am finding all this amusing all this debate about the perceived attractiveness or sexiness over a character. All this hubbub over a teenaged girl.

I'm mainly staying out of this debate. But I am finding all this amusing all this debate about the perceived attractiveness or sexiness over a character. All this hubbub over a teenaged girl.
Exactly! I'm not trying to insult anyone by the next statement, but it's getting...well it's getting a bit creepy.

Lol that would be a silly change but Alfred is a great example Earth one Batman changed his normal mytho's completely & it worked DC seems to be drawing from that right now.Also never said you can have your character type and story arc all twisted but some change will be much more acceptable Joker not being Perma-acid Joker or Bane without the Venom serum Aunt May being much younger Pym being an Old man. As long as they serve the purpose that they should have in the long run I am okay with it. Bad change for me is Sandman killing Ben or Joker Killing Bruce parents or Spider-Mans bite not being an accident but a family project stuff like that is when I'm vocal.

fair enough.

but just like you wouldn't be ok with those particular changes ( Sandman killing Ben ), I'm not that ok with the apparent changes they are making to MJ and the rest of the HS class.

Emma Roberts would've made a good MJ. Just saying.

rs_300x300-160422093115-600.Emma-Roberts-Bronze-Eyeliner-Tutorial.jl.042216.jpg

And I still think Chloe Moretz-Grace or Elle Fanning would make a good Gwen Stacy.

fair enough.

but just like you wouldn't be ok with those particular changes ( Sandman killing Ben ), I'm not that ok with the apparent changes they are making to MJ and the rest of the HS class.

I can understand/respect that I remember back in 2000 picking up the first issue of Ultimate Spider-man & hating it because it felt so different from what I considered the Spidey mythos as the series went on I eventually really started to love the book.Lets see what this team can do & they really better bring it man.

I can understand/respect that I remember back in 2000 picking up the first issue of Ultimate Spider-man & hating it because it felt so different from what I considered the Spidey mythos as the series went on I eventually really started to love the book.Lets see what this team can do & they really better bring it man.

fair enough.

and I'm still going to give this a chance, to a certain point at least.

but my initial enthusiasm has diminished greatly and I never thought I'd say that about Marvel's Spidey project. :csad:

but, we shall see, as you said.

Ha, it's amazing to me that Emma Roberts is still so young. I feel like I've known her forever. The Unfabulous days were real.

Don't know if it was said but Tony "Flash Thompson" Revolori is doing ScreenJunkies Movie Fights this week. It's on ScreenJunkies Plus right now, but should be on Youtube on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"