Homecoming Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 93

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol several years later and people still haven't understood that Alexi's character was pretty spot on... Shocker and Rhino have always been popular villains, but they're also C list jokes.. the only thing that's separated them from the likes of Boomerang, Speed Demon, Grizzly, Spot, and The Kangaroo is that they were used more... But literally all the same class of villain... and truthfully Electro isn't that far off either... he's just way more powerful...

but all of those guys are petty thieves that don't dream big, they're all jokes, they always get caught, and never have a grand scheme

See the thing is so was Batroc the leaper yet he becomes effective where Rhino fell flat.*I quite liked Electro just hated Max*

Don't forget that they actually shot a scene where he meets his father. Can you imagine?

By the way, every other Marvel Studios film deviates from the source material in major ways. What matters is if they get the core and essence of the character right, and if they make a great film. Harry, you've probably never called foul with these deviations because you know most about Spidey's lore. But deviations (and also quality for the most part) comes with the Marvel Studios territory.

there will always be deviations.

but as you said, what matters is if they get the core and essence of the characters right.

but that's exactly the problem that I and others here have with Homecoming - so far, based on the early stuff we've seen and heard.

yes, it's early. and yes, the final product could turn out to be good.

but there's enough early stuff to make some of us concerned that they are indeed deviating from the core and essence of the characters.

A Flash who is physically unintimidating and a trash talking intellectual rival to Peter. That doesn't sound like Flash.

A Betty who seemingly looks and acts more like Sally Avril. That doesn't sound like Betty.

A Sally who seemingly looks and acts more like a different character entirely ( a friend of Peter and fellow science nerd ). That doesn't sound like Sally.

And most obvious. An MJ who's made to be a frumpy, snarky, awkward, ugly duckling bookworm who transforms into beautiful, playful, alpha female party girl. That doesn't sound like MJ.....at all.

Last edited:
Donald Glover has a high placement on the casting announcement. Any theories on who he is?

My money is on Jameson. No solid evidence, just a feeling, but I really think he could pull it off well while being different enough from J.K. Simmons to avoid overwrought comparisons.

I'm actually gonna be legit disappointed if he's not at Jameson this point.

My money is on Jameson. No solid evidence, just a feeling, but I really think he could pull it off well while being different enough from J.K. Simmons to avoid overwrought comparisons.

Wait, seriously? Donald Glover for JJJ? I don't know, man.

I don't think the Bugle is in this in any capacity and if it is, I certainly can't see Glover as JJJ in any way without it being yet another drastic change of things (which I'm sadly expecting from the Bugle now this time around regardless given how everything's been shaping).

lol several years later and people still haven't understood that Alexi's character was pretty spot on... Shocker and Rhino have always been popular villains, but they're also C list jokes.. the only thing that's separated them from the likes of Boomerang, Speed Demon, Grizzly, Spot, and The Kangaroo is that they were used more... But literally all the same class of villain... and truthfully Electro isn't that far off either... he's just way more powerful...

but all of those guys are petty thieves that don't dream big, they're all jokes, they always get caught, and never have a grand scheme

Yea , the 1970's gave us some pretty classic villains

Yeah, Marvel don't seem to care about staying true to the source material like Sony at least 'tried' to do. And please nobody try to come at with the "You haven't seen the movie yet" we've seen and know enough about this movie to know they really couldn't care less.

giphy.gif

Seriously harry? :doh:

I will be super pissed off if Glover is Jameson. That would only be slightly better than the Ice Cube rumors from just a few months ago. Donald Glover does not strike me as Jameson in the slightest.

Hugh Laurie for Jameson.

Yeah, Marvel don't seem to care about staying true to the source material like Sony at least 'tried' to do. And please nobody try to come at with the "You haven't seen the movie yet" we've seen and know enough about this movie to know they really couldn't care less.

mjl.gif
mjl.gif

mjl.gif
mjl.gif

I know we don't a lot about this movie but is the Daily Bugle even really needed?
Edit: Meaning it could show up in a sequel instead?

Wait, seriously? Donald Glover for JJJ? I don't know, man.

I don't think the Bugle is in this in any capacity and if it is, I certainly can't see Glover as JJJ in any way without it being yet another drastic change of things (which I'm sadly expecting from the Bugle now this time around regardless given how everything's been shaping).

I will be super pissed off if Glover is Jameson. That would only be slightly better than the Ice Cube rumors from just a few months ago. Donald Glover does not strike me as Jameson in the slightest.

Hugh Laurie for Jameson.

yeah. a move like making Glover JJJ WOULD be the final straw for me.

that's a change too far, imo.

not so much the race change, but making JJJ younger like that changes the character and dynamic he has with Peter.

in many ways, I'd say JJJ is another father/uncle figure to Peter. behind that crusty exterior, JJJ does have a heart and he does care for Peter. you only get to see that in rare moments......lol.

making JJJ younger takes away that dynamic.

I still think Glover is going to play Eddie. Anyone with me on that?

yeah. a move like making Glover JJJ WOULD be the final straw for me.

that's a change too far, imo.

not so much the race change, but making JJJ younger like that changes the character and dynamic he has with Peter.

It could be an updated NOW Magazine, but if it was the Bugle, it'd probably go from a newspaper/news publication service to a full-on TMZ-esque thing 'cause I wouldn't be able to see Glover boasting about newspaper sales or whatever. He'd probably be like this guy:

maxresdefault.jpg

in many ways, I'd say JJJ is another father/uncle figure to Peter. behind that crusty exterior, JJJ does have a heart and he does care for Peter. you only get to see that in rare moments......lol.

making JJJ younger takes away that dynamic.

:up:

You'd lose a grumpy JJJ and gain a *****ey JJJ, 'cause I can't see Glover being a grump. :funny:

No way Glover is JJJ , not after DC cast Laurence Fishburne as Perry White

Glover is probably just a school teacher or principal or guidance counselor or summtin

It could be an updated NOW Magazine, but if it was the Bugle, it'd probably go from a newspaper/news publication service to a full-on TMZ-esque thing 'cause I wouldn't be able to see Glover boasting about newspaper sales or whatever. He'd probably be like this guy:

maxresdefault.jpg

:up:

You'd lose a grumpy JJJ and gain a *****ey JJJ, 'cause I can't see Glover being a grump. :funny:

whether or not the Bugle is a traditional newspaper or a TMZ outfit, JJJ should still be a grumpy, crusty older man.

Just my 2c. I love the idea. Glover could easily pull off grumpy IMO, and he's around 2x Peter's age (32). He wouldn't be traditional obviously but so little about this movie is that I could see it happening--more importantly, I could see it working.

^ a 30 something year old JJJ is too young, imo.

Do we know for sure Glover is in this? I want him to be Phil Urich. A no hassle way to connect DD and Spidey.

Well, if Glover would be working for the Bugle he'd more likely be Phil Urich (which could potentially give us a tie to the Daredevil show and also introduce us to our second would-be-goblin).

EDIT: and as I was typing that and reading stuff about Phil Urich, Scarecrow King beat me to it...

Good, that explains why he wouldn't need to look like a pug.

This is getting sooooo ridiculous.....
1383.gif

Not to mention they made Harry Osborn the first Green Goblin and made him look like this:
dane-review-the-amazing-spider-man-2-jpeg-56548.jpg
But you know, Sony always tried to be faithful to the source material.
I mean, anything that resembles the comic design on more than a superficial-level would look stupid on the big screen, he has a glider, (*cough* Wings*) he has a little green on his skin (*cough* green pants) and his hair is combed back in a way to make it resemble the Goblin hat. (*cough Bomber jacket collar) He has Goblin's silhouette and any Spidey fan would be able to tell he's a Goblin :o
Michael-Keaton-as-the-Vulture-in-Spider-Man-Homecoming-concept-art.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"