Spider-Man: Homecoming User Reviews Thread *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' started by Airnick, Jul 3, 2017.

?

Rate Spider-Man: Homecoming

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Eros Registered

Only issues for me, like many other said, was Raimi Spider-Man movies had the emotional and thematic resonance with the characters and themes. Peters narrations in the first 2 Spider-Man Raimi films give you this story book retelling of a mans troubled but amazing life. The Danny elfman soundtrack is still the most iconic and definitive Spider-Man music I've ever heard.

So while I enjoyed Home coming very much, I never felt attached to peters life or his problems. His sense of loss and was replaced by a need to be an avenger, the lack of Uncle Ben mention or was almost insulting. Mays husband was murdered less then a year ago, and neither Peter or Her ever mention the guy at all....not even a picture of him in her house....nothing. It was lacking all emotional turmoil and it was replaced by a fluff piece while entertaining doesn't stick with you the way It should.

2. SpiderfanEst93 Registered

Long time lurker, but finally registered because I am very excited about this Spider-man. :)

Anyways, been a Spider-man fan since picking up my first Spidey comic at age 11 with ASM #380. Enjoyed the Raimi movies, but was not completely satisfied with Tobey as Spidey nor was I completely happy with TAS movies and Garfield.

But after seeing S:H, I am excited about Spider-man in movies because IMO, Tom Holland is the best Spider-man on screen. FINALLY a wisecracking, non-emo, non-whiney Spider-man!

I give "Spider-man: Homecoming" a 9. This is the Spider-man movie I have been waiting for. I really walked away smiling and excited about the future of Spider-man in movies after watching this movie.

My mini-review:

What I liked:

-Holland as Peter/Spider-man. And he wisecracks! Finally!

-Keaton as The Vulture. Not since Doc Ock, have we had a really good Spidey villain on screen.

-The Shocker! Was glad we got to see The Shocker brought to screen. I hope this was just the introduction of him, has always been a favorite of Spidey's Rogue Gallery.

-The "Come On, Spidey" scene. Awesome!

-The big reveal at the house! Everyone in the theater my wife and I saw it in, gasped when he opened that door.

What I did not like:

-Flash Thompson. Just did not like this version, but it is a minor gripe.

-The Iron Spidey suit at the end. Never been crazy about that suit. I hope he keeps his basic/traditional costume throughout the series.

-The MJ reveal.

What I hope for in the future:

-That we at least get a trilogy of solo movies with this Spider-man. I read where Feige said we are getting at least 5 movies, but most of those were Avenger movies I think. I would love to see a full trilogy with Tom Holland leading. Maybe in part 3, introduce Miles.

-JJJ is introduced. And I would love to see Simmons return, but he may not since he is apart of the DCEU now.

-MJ introduced properly.

-More of The Vulture and The Shocker.

#377 SpiderfanEst93, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  3. daddydivine I'm black, I can say it.

I don't know, the final act of homecoming had more emotional depth than even Spiderman 2.

The reveal twist, the car ride, the "come on spiderman" scene, and realization of his purpose.

4. Eros Registered

Uncles Bens death was supposed to be the realization of his purpose though. It suppose to what drives him to be a local small time hero.

5. daddydivine I'm black, I can say it.

I understand. And I'm with you. Using Tony as a mentor is one thing, using Tony as a replacement for Spideys purpose is another. Still doesn't negate that emotional notes hit very solidly in the last act but as a fan would have been nice to have Ben be the source.

6. Lei D Loki has some regrets

There are times when not having read the comics is a good thing. This means I don't have the emotional baggage and expectations that comic fans would have. I am more accepting of the changes some fans are complaining about. What I know of Spider-Man mostly comes from the movies although I was aware of Spider-Man before it became a movie. He is a pop culture icon then and now. Even though I knew very little about Spider-Man before the first movie came out, he was and still is my favorite superhero.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. In preparation, I skipped all trailers and avoided the internet. Glad I did because those trailers were spoilery and this forum was very toxic leading up to the movie release.

I loved Tom's performance as Peter and Spidey. I love this youthful, fun, non-angsty, non-whimpery Peter/Spidey. I like that this Spider-Man loves being Spider-Man. I don't have issues with the changes they have made because I believe the core of what makes Spider-Man was there. There are so many scenes I loved but the one that is at the top is the rubble where Tom made me feel how young and inexperienced this Peter Parker is. I should also say I generally dislike highschool movies or tv or anime or cartoons. Which is why I avoided TASM 1 for a while and only watched it when it was released on Netflix. Surprisingly, I enjoyed it thanks to Andrew and Emma. Tom's performance in CW was so good and got me so excited to watch this highschool movie.

I also enjoyed Keaton as the villain. He was scary and all his scenes with Peter were compelling to watch. I look forward to more of him. I hope there's more of him.

Marissa Tomei didn't really have a lot to do here but that's okay. What I saw of her was fine and that last scene with her was great! I like where this is headed. I am tired of stories where Peter has to keep Spidey a secret to Aunt May.

All the other supporting characters added flavor. Ned was fun and I'm happy Peter has him as a confidante. Michelle was weird and I liked that. Flash was okay.

I did not want a retread of the past 5 movies and I got it. Big time. I understand fans for wanting certain things and are disappointed by some of the changes. I get that. But I am selfish and I am happy with what Marvel had done and I am looking forward for more.

The movie is not perfect but I enjoyed every minute of it. This is my favorite Spider-Man movie to date.

#381 Lei D Loki, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  7. CaptainWagner Searching (P)

Having finally seen this a second time, I can confidently declare it my favorite Spider-Man film and Tom Holland to be the best Spider-man/Peter Parker. Some of the complaints I've seen just baffle my mind, though. No "emotional or thematic resonance"? What was the constant struggle of Peter's forced isolation, refusing himself a normal, fun life to uphold his responsibility? What was the entire car scene leading up to the incredible "If this be my destiny" moment? It's like some people saw a completely different movie.

8. First Avenger Registered

I think it's because Raimi's style is more over-the-top,be it humor or emotional bits,he intentionally exaggerated everything happening to Peter and that worked great because he's a master at balancing both in a campy way and felt right for a character like Spidey. In Homecoming the tone is reminiscent of that while being a bit more tamed and grounded,if that makes sense.

9. Frodo Registered

I feel like each version of the franchise has reflected different aspects of the myths.

The Raimi films were very much Romita from the late 60s to early 70s. Peter is ,for the most part, a young adult balancing work, romances, friendships, and his responsibilities as Spiderman and is tortured over it.

The Webb films are closer to Ultimate Spiderman and the comics from the 90s and 00's. The story is more streamlined with the Osborn's and Peter's Parents being the key to everything. Peter is basically a young man trying to piece together his families past , so he's searching for answers, with the Stacy family as something of a moral guide or anchor.

CW and HC are very much Lee Ditiko fused with Spectacular Spiderman focusing on what it would be like for a teenager/child to be a superhero. It has alot of the lightness and optimism of the early 60s and John Hughes films from the 1980s. Its basically the MCU through the eyes of a child , which to him is fun and adventure with larger than life heroes and heroics. Its romantic.

They all made changes from the source material and they're all flawed from one degree or another .

Still, All three of them are Spiderman, but they each reflect different aspects of the 50 odd year old myth.

10. First Avenger Registered

The problem with ASM was that the script and the execution were terrible,especially the second movie.

11. Hunter Rider Ronin

I loved the movie, I felt it was a wonderful moderrn live action update of the early Lee & Ditko comics of Spidey's smaller scale early years, the humour, the vibrancy and the heart are all there.

Tom Holland is absolutely pitch perfect as Peter and Spidey while Keaton knocks it out of the park as Toomes, the scene in the car when he's giving Peter and Liz a ride to the dance is arguably the best in the movie, you can see the wheels turning in Toomes head as he pieces it together. Toomes was one of the best MCU villains to date, with his twisted moral compass and the constant menace that his slightly unhinged nature brought.

I thought they used Tony just right, he didn't encroach on Peter's story and instead aided it just nicely, and their dynamic both light and serious has great chemistry. The other dynamic I loved was Peter and Ned, that was such an entertaining and relatable friendship.

The high-tech suit was cool and the one we glimpsed at the end looks even cooler, I thought the use of the gadgets was both fun and added another layer to Pete's journey as he progresses as a hero across the film.

The action was solid although not as well shot and edited as I was expecting, the standout sequence was the Washington Monument rescue, buth e Hudson Ferry and Avengers plane hijack sequences were decent.

Love the Mac Gargan appearence, I really hope Scorpion is the villain (or one of them) in the sequel.

The Vulture suit adaption was one of the best to date and they used it to great effect in the film, I particularly liked it in the truck heist sequence, great design work!

All in all a fun, relatable, energetic, heartfelt, dynamic coming of age comic book movie with a great ground based villain that uses it's smaller, more intimate scale to it's advantage, much like Ant-Man did.

9/10

12. Lei D Loki has some regrets

I saw it again today. Still my favorite Spidey film to date. It is just so fresh. Can't wait to see more of this Spider-Man in the MCU.

EDIT:
    One quip I missed the first time was at the ferry scene when fighting Shocker 2 "You're not the same guy I fought last time. Honestly, I'm... shocked." :D

#387 Lei D Loki, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  13. Batmannerism Super-unknown

I give it a 9/10. At least as good as Dr Strange, not quite as good as Civil War, but a massively enjoyable film, and IMO the best Spider Man film so far.

My only issue with the film was that I thought the final confrontation between Vulture and Spidey was a little underwhelming - but otherwise I thought it was great.

It managed to be cute, without being angsty, and Tom Holland (as I predicted last year) is my favorite Spider Man - he really captures everything I imagined the character to be.

14. UltimateWebhead Black's the new Red&Blue

I went and saw Homecoming for a second time. I am happy to report that upon the initial rewatch it holds up...my rating of 8.5 stands.

15. Nicko-Ray Madness

Happy to hear! Same rating as me. Fighting a 9.

16. I'm Old Greg do you love me?

Everyones talked about what they liked and didn't like.
    For me Aunt May being so young, Flash being a dweeb, Peters friend knowing his identy as a crutch partner. Tech suit admiant to kill people. And Again No Spider Sence...

Tom Holland is fun as Spider-Man. He wasn't a cry baby stiff like Maguire or a bully like Garfield.

Con
    But Hollands Spider-Man is so wreckless and comes off so naive.
    Peter was a nerd and became Spider-Man. It would have been more interesting if he was acting wreckless because he was always held back and treated poorly because he was a nerd and Being Spidey is his release for excitment. Instead he looks for trouble and enjoys trouble...I don't like that. He doesn't accept any responsibility for his great power. That is everything Uncle Ben's death taught him. Inatead Tony is his new admiration.

This is the third person as Spider Man and to me no one nailed the character.

I do not see this as Spider-Man. Its just a movie with a lot of elements escaping what Spider Man is because it was done to death 5 movies ago.

17. Art Vandelay Registered

6.5/10. Enjoyable some of the time, but the more I think about it the more I think it's not a very good movie.

18. TheFlamingCoco Registered

I personally give it a little higher, but I think the Raimi films succeeded on an emotional and stylistic level that Homecoming doesn't.

I'd say Homecoming was a mid-tier Marvel film (Winter Soldier and Avengers being near the top)

19. Art Vandelay Registered

Yeah, this was more or less another Marvel movie. I enjoy them because they do comedy pretty well, and are well acted, but I'm not sure I'd call any of them great. I suspect that the positive reaction to this movie has something to do with the previous three movies being poor.

20. Mysteryman Registered

I agree about the sequel.
    But I still quite like the first film.

21. Mysteryman Registered

Or, maybe, people just liked this movie.

22. Spider-Aziz Boards made me cry

This version of Peter Parker is the worst. Take everything you don't like about him in Amazing two movies? Yeah, it's all here in one movie, to a higher extent. Reckless, dangerous, incompetent, intentionally breaks stuff, hits a guys head on a car by pulling it with a web, steals a car and wrecks it, creepy stares, and all sorts of excuses are made for this guy because I have no clue why. Defense of this version while the other guy is bashed mercilessly by the same people is splitting hairs. ;) [blackout]a no prize for the one I specifically aim this last line to[/blackout]
    He also talks like a whiny little brat half of the time, I don't get why anyone says "FINALLY, A PETER PARKER THAT IS NOT WHINY"

I excused Andrew's version and look at him thinking; this is the comic book version, this is the kind of guy who tries to sweeten the situation by talking in a calmly fashion and tries to calm down people, and he's not a complete dork as Peter Parker, he's a sweet talker, and a joking one, I don't see the cocky *****e so many people say he is. Heck, I can actually relate to both this version and Tobey's version.
    And then we got this new piece of $#%^ with all sorts of excuses made in his defense, some call him the best take on the character on live action, some say he made up for cocky *****e. What will you tell me next? At least he didn't break a promise he made to a dying man? Well big deal, Andrew didn't break the promise he made although we all thought that, his promise was something he was doing even before George Stacy knew the secret, keeping Gwen out of his fights against his enemies, that was the effing promise, Peter did it, George did it, that was the promise. Not "keep your distance from my daughter", because George knew they'd go together anyway.

Do I find this take completely unlikable? No, he's not half as bad as the cocky *****e jock from the 90s cartoon who is somehow hailed as one of the best takes on the character, and I say that as someone who likes both takes, but the changes made to this version are far more than mild.

I understand finding Tobey to be the best in the role, or at least finding his take the best, he's the most responsible one, creative, smart, honorable through and through, a fighter, a family man, respects the wishes of a dying man without coming across as a jerk for saying that he breaks a promise (even if the broken promise is not one he made), he didn't even promise to honor the request of the dying father of his best friend, he honored it anyway.

Ned Leeds is that loyal best friend, he can be an annoying stickler sometimes.

Adrian Toomes is possibly the best villain in a Spider-Man movie, his sensibilities are sound, his motivation to act outside the law is understandable, he didn't listen to a few seconds of his weapons talking to him suggesting he should turn evil thinking he's not evil after he was sorrowful and ready to kill himself after all the deaths he caused and the terror that shook him. He didn't grovel before his alternate personality mask while talking to himself. He didn't decide that Spider-Man betrayed him cause he stopped him from killing a police sniper who shot him albeit Spider-Man not knowing while idiot audience cheer for the guy who tried to calm the villain to beat him down. He didn't decide to kill his childhood's friend girlfriend cause he didn't give him blood and his company was stolen from him, but now he's powerful. None of that nonsense.
    He also appreciated that Spider-Man saved his child, and later saved him (something Jolly Jonah Jameson jr. could learn from).

Flash Thompson can be funny sometimes "I have a date with Black Widow", and other times he's just a prick with a line that deserve cringing "Penis Parker". Otherwise, he's just as bland as almost everyone else.

The suit looks good, but that it can be hacked by a teenager is 'eh', this is a suit designed and programmed by a rich guy who is a genius and owns a tech company, we know what he managed to build at the age of 17, and we have a guesstimation of his years of experience in the field, and it can be hacked by a kid in high school. And then someone says "Peter made his webshooters, that they can be fixed by someone smarter than he is made no sense", but then this is accepted by the one that said this.

Enough venting about the characters and how I have a hard time understanding audience in this case, and let's move to the plot:
    It's ok, nothing great. I like that it opens with the villain, it's not something that most movies do.
    The execution is solid, it didn't make me cheer on first view like the first and second Sam Raimi films did, none of the other Spider-Man movies did that to be honest, but I certainly enjoyed them all more than I did this one.
    I'm not one to talk about stakes in story with depth, but I will say that I do like how this movie connected all the villains without feeling disjointed, so kudos where they should be given.

I didn't want Spider-Man in the MCU, this take on the character in Civil War did not make me change my mind, this solo movie made me more annoyed that we have Spider-Man in the MCU, and he's not worthy of being compared to the Spectacular Spider-Man animated version of the character. It made me more of an apologist to The Amazing Spider-Man film version, the most accurate adaption of the character on film, even if you disagree, Marc Webb presented the comic version in his movies, with mild changes.

I like this movie, but it's just my least favorite one.

7/10

23. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos (P)

[​IMG]

24. ObserveCreative Registered

[​IMG]

Fantastic and really informative post, dear Spider-Aziz. Couldn't have said it better myself. Well done, my friend! Bravo! And I wholeheartedly agree with you in regards to what you have said about Andrew's take on Spidey.

Andrew Garfield is the best, most experienced actor amongst the 'big arachnid three' (he was always a powerful stage performer, first and foremost, and that in itself creates a very magnetic aura around his presence both off-screen and on screen, something that becomes very apparent with his involvement in the recent Angels in America play; I made sure to emphasize that in my 2nd video recently) and he also happens to be the most professional actor out of the 'big arachnid three' (just take a look at his impressive resume: https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=dd908859e640d9759dbd8e864b8903b7&oe=5A28E8A1 and his pre/post-ASM works where he gets to tackle some truly exquisite, multilayered, nuanced and intricate characters; unfortunately, as it sometimes happens in this strange life, despite being an avid fan of Spider-Man from the age of 3 and loving the hell out of John Semper's 90's TAS and Todd McFarlane's "Torment" (one of his favorite arcs, as he once told me), he just got dealt a bad hand with all the meddling caused by Avi Arad, Amy Pascal and Matt Tolmach).

And Tom Holland doesn't know how to act at all (he is almost like Henry Cavill's rendition of Superman in DCEU with his special 'wooden acting chops' showcase) and has a slightly annoying, unsympathetic, irritating face that is, despite his youthful age, is devoid of any decent human expression or emotion. Failed to make an impression on me in both CA: CW and SM:H flicks (I am sorry, but I simply cannot bring myself to call them good motion pictures with CGI, VFX graphics and corporate control that entirely overshadows good storytelling and good character development). Maybe he is going to be really good at playing bad guys, once he gets older and gains more experience (something that is highly desired of him, based on the notion that the guy bought himself a big, expensive house in L.A. without really breaking a sweat with any of his former/present roles and proving that he is worthy of it all: the kid seriously needs to toughen up and to start doing more research/investigation into what is needed of him, instead of spending most of his time on Instagram and doing the same ol' flips again and again), but for now... this kid just doesn't have the charisma or the right talent to create a captivating and enigmatic portrayal of a young Pete Parker/Spidey on the big screen.

25. ObserveCreative Registered

[​IMG]

Now, regarding Tobey Maguire, clearly, he had the best material to work with (SM1-2 with its heavy inspirations from Lee/Ditko/Romita Sr. eras, not to mention the fact that Sam Raimi was a huge fan of the hero and his rich history in comics), and as an actor, Tobey really shines and creates something undoubtedly special when he is exploring deep, delicate, more private, human moments of Pete's unstable and chaotic life (look at his eyes, gestures, elegant movements; with him it was always a successful blend of drama with good humor, even though his Spider-Man is not as quippy as some of us wanted him to be, but that's just minor nitpicking, really), but after the mess that is SM3 and a couple of neat small indies that went unnoticed by the majority of general audience, his career sort of went nowhere.