Into the Spider-Verse Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse News and General Discussion Thread

I read that negative review and his main complaint was the animation. He called the intentional comic book style "sloppy."

I mean, I guess it's not for everyone but imo the art style and animation looks beautiful.

Last edited:
Wow. I can't believe all this praise, never would've thought the film would be this highly regarded. Congrats to Lord and Miller, as well as the directing team. Very excited to see this on Friday.

I read that negative review and his main complaint was the animation. He called the intentional comic book style "sloppy."

I mean, I guess it's not for everyone but imo the art style and animation looks beautiful.
Yeah, but i also have the feeling he's just trying to stand out. I mean you have 80 critiscs saying the animation is amazing and then this guy comes and claim "Sony Animation should not have let “Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse” out its doors and onto big screens in this blurred, jerky, pixelated condition." and he's also well aware about the positive reviews its getting on rotten tomatoes "So did all those folks raving this up on Rottentomatoes watch it off screeners on their home systems?"

Yeah, but i also have the feeling he's just trying to stand out. I mean you have 80 critiscs saying the animation is amazing and then this guy comes and claim "Sony Animation should not have let “Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse” out its doors and onto big screens in this blurred, jerky, pixelated condition." and he's also well aware about the positive reviews its getting on rotten tomatoes "So did all those folks raving this up on Rottentomatoes watch it off screeners on their home systems?"

Right. My favorite part of his review was he got up during the screening and asked a Sony rep if "that's actually how the movie is supposed to look." Lol. Like who actually does that? I dunno, I guess I wanted to see if he actually had some legit criticisms against the film itself.

I could honestly care less about what he thinks. But of course, pointing out silly notions in his review makes me nothing more than a fanboy that can't handle opposing views. Moving on.

Another negative review.
Dt8UxsnWwAAcxXA.jpg:large

Right. My favorite part of his review was he got up during the screening and asked a Sony rep if "that's actually how the movie is supposed to look." Lol. Like who actually does that? I dunno, I guess I wanted to see if he actually had some legit criticisms against the film itself.

I could honestly care less about what he thinks. But of course, pointing out silly notions in his review makes me nothing more than a fanboy that can't handle opposing views. Moving on.

He's like that guy in high school who would see everyone else liking a band, and would instinctively hate it because it was the "punk" thing to do. You know, the guy who made fun of the prom and everyone who went, but you find out it's because he didn't get a date, so it's not like he had a choice.

Yes, I'm hating. This is like someone going into a Van Gogh exhibit and asking the museum curator, "Are the stars SUPPOSED to look like that?"

Oh, well. I'm sure Spartacus here will inspire some other pretentious critics to say something similar, and then knock the film down to a 96 or a 90 by the end of it all.

Here is my review of Into the Spider-Verse:

Growing up, Spider-Man was my favorite superhero. While as I got older I have gravitated more towards Captain America as my favorite, Spidey is still one of my most cherished characters. I read lots of Ultimate Spider-Man as a teenager, but I stopped right around issue 80. I never picked it up again after that, though I know a lot of what much followed after. So, I never actually read any comics with Miles Morales. I know who he is and all that, but I have no loyalty toward him as a character. I don't dislike Miles, he just came after my time. Given this was an animated effort and not a live action film, my hype for this was low. The Marvel cartoon movies in recent years have been garbage mostly, and I was iffy on the animation style when I first saw it. However, recent reviews and positive word of mouth got me interested, so I saw this on Friday night. I am quite glad I did as well.

I cannot speak for how accurate this is to the history of Miles as a character, but this film does a great job of introducing the character to you. He's very likeable and his issues with being passive and afraid to take action are something easily relatable. I grew to like Miles in this very quickly, and I loved his supporting cast as well. You can see where Miles' story mirrors that of Peter Parker in several ways, but it has its own unique spin on the mythos. The drama between him and his father felt natural and never forced, and his Uncle Aaron was also a very interesting character in his own right.

This film does a great job of integrating Spider-Man lore both new and old. Again, I know who characters like Spider-Gwen and Spider-Man Noir are, but this film is really the first time I got to know any of these newer characters. They have great chemistry with Miles and are characters I did walking away wanting to learn more about. The film also has some great references to past Spider-Man films, has a great arc for the main Peter Parker we follow in the story, and we even see Spider-Ham. I never thought I'd see Spider-Ham in a movie, but he was hilarious. The plot is very whacky and over-the-top, but it gives it this tone of being larger than life which compliments the story of Miles and coming to grips with his destiny very well.

If there is a minor nitpick I had, it was the selection of the main villain. I love Wilson Fisk more as a Daredevil villain. I never bought him as being any type of physical threat to Spider-Man in the comics. You can tell me his body is all muscle, but that doesn't make me buy it. Spider-Man is a character who can hold cars up in the air and such, so Kingpin being able to crush his ribs in a bear hug never rang true to me. As a mastermind type like Lex Luthor, sure he works. But physically, I never bought it. In here, he is a mastermind type villain, but they make him a physical one at points, also. It's just not my favorite interpretation of Fisk. That said, loved the other villains in this movie. Some are just basically glorified henchman, but the ones that are more important to the plot are great additions.

Overall, when it comes to Spider-Man films, I think Spider-Man 2 still stands as my personal favorite movie ever made about Spider-Man. It captured the spirit of the character, what drives him, and how much he has to sacrifice in his life to be Spider-Man better than any other film prior. I also loved seeing Spider-Man in the framework of a larger world in Spider-Man: Homecoming. That said, this film is in that tier. I again side with Spider-Man 2 myself, but if one prefers this movie I would get it. Particularly for those who grew up with Miles in the comics, they will probably love this like I do Spider-Man 2. All in all, this film honors the legacy of Spider-Man very well and I had a big smile on my face watching it. Probably my 3rd favorite CBM of the year, only behind Avengers: Infinity War and Black Panther.

Overall rating - 5/5

Saw this last night and LOVED it.

The art and animation is beautiful.. I saw it in 2D but I get the feeling it would look great in 3D. I know there were 3 directors and I dunno who did what but I thought the direction and handling of the action was really cool.. There's one bit in particular early on which really pops. (I'd like to see Peter Ramsey do more because I really enjoyed Rise of Guardians which he did too).

The voice acting is great, especially the guy playing Miles. The story on the whole is good and it blends the action, emotion and humour very well IMO. I know he was writer/produce but it definitely has that Phil Lord touch. It was good to finally see some new characters too.. really enjoyed seeing Miles, seeing the different Spider-Men and some different villains.

One nitpick I had with it is to do with the main villain, Fisk. This is not meant to be a full on bashing as I did like Fisk in the movie but I did feel a little bit like he didn't quite suit the plot or suit the "villains plan". It felt a bit more like a plan/plot suited more to your GG/Doc Ocks but I understand why they wouldn't want to use them in such prominent roles. Also the film, understandably, spends a lot of time with Miles and the Spider-Men and I felt that the villain(s) could have done with just a little more screen time..

And that end credits! :D

All in all, it's a tough call between this and Homecoming to pick my fave Spidey film now.
5/5

I have actually read that some folks find the highly stylized animation nausea inducing. Those who have motion sickness found that the trailer for this one made them feel dizzy. So the complaints against the animation is not totally unfounded or invalid from that pov. I haven't seen any trailer for this movie in a theater so I cant' really say if I feel the same way or not.

Bitten by a radioactive spider Miles Morales is set on a path to become a hero and part of a universe he never knew existed.

PRAISE : Great voice work by the entire cast which includes : Shameik Moore, Hailee Steinfeld Mahershala Ali, Jake Johnson ,Liev Schreiber ,Brian Tyree Henry ,Luna Lauren Velez and Lily Tomlin

This film is a slick thrill ride,a colorful and amazing feast for the senses,truly a living and breathing comic book.
Even if you are a minor Spider-Man fan you will be doing yourself a favor by treating yourself to something that is clearly a love letter to everything Spider Man.
I was surprisingly moved by a few scenes.
The use of music and sound was off the charts great and i was tapping my foot several times
This is one of those super hero stories which becomes beyond exhilarating when the hero comes into his own and embraces who he or she has become and realizes with great power comes great responsibility
Things that i feared would be grating and obnoxious are kept at minimum.
Some nice surprises throughout.

PROBLEMS:With so many characters inhabiting this story things become a bit jumbled at times.Some of the animation seemed a bit blurred here and there.

This is one of the best Spider Man films i have ever watched .Please stick around for the mid credits scene and the after credits scene !!

Scale of 1-10 a 9
Excelsior!

Yes, the scene after the credits is one of the best after the credits scenes for a CBM ever.

I have actually read that some folks find the highly stylized animation nausea inducing. Those who have motion sickness found that the trailer for this one made them feel dizzy. So the complaints against the animation is not totally unfounded or invalid from that pov. I haven't seen any trailer for this movie in a theater so I cant' really say if I feel the same way or not.

Yeah, and I figured the slower framerate for the slower sections could turn people off.

You have to get used to it. Maybe the reas

That guy is so annoying. Let's be honest here, there was no way the movie with a wide release was going to stay at 100% but the guy's reasons are annoying and infuriating. It screams 'hey, look at me I'm a hipster because I hate what literally everyone else loves'.

Honestly, I can see his point. I got used to the animation, but I can easily see where someone may hate it. So if the whole movie looks visually awful to you, that is not a small issue. It's not an invalid complaint.

Honestly, I can see his point. I got used to the animation, but I can easily see where someone may hate it. So if the whole movie looks visually awful to you, that is not a small issue. It's not an invalid complaint.

True. It's not for everyone. And especially in a medium where the visuals play such an important part, not liking them will impact your enjoyment. It's like reading a great comic story but the art sucks...at least for me it's difficult to really enjoy it.

Even if the end percentage for the film comes in near the low 90s, the average rating is around 9. That's impressive in this day and age for cbms.

Seriously, I can't wait to watch it again just for the last after credits scene.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"