[SPOILERS] "More enjoyable than Transformers 2"? New Reviews!

The reviews will probably end up in the 60's or maybe in the 50's if we're not so lucky.

care to elaborate on the jaw-droppingness for me? I want to be prepared.

[BLACKOUT]It sounds something like live-action Shredder from TMNT, but raving at the top of his lungs. It reminded me of Darth Vader from the end of Episode III, or maybe cartoon Skeletor with some kind of generic "demon voice."[/BLACKOUT]

HissTank.com Review of the GI Joe Movie (Seen it!)

G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra was fast paced well laid out punch to the face. Blink and you will wish you had a remote to rewind what you missed flying by you at Mach 6. From start to finish it's all action. Filled with Hi-Tech gear, weapons and vehicles that you would expect Cobra and G.I. Joe to deploy in battle. I was really surprised at how good this film turned out. It was fun and gives the next generation of G.I. Joe fans (you know the kids) a really cool updated look at "Our G.I. Joe."

The Baroness was my favorite character in the movie. Miller has the look, the walk, and the attitude down, but don't expect 80's voice acting. The Baroness got the last punch in, several of them as a matter of fact, poor Scarlett.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the Doctor and you know "who" was distracting at times due to the nature of his costume. In no way was his acting bad, and I think he did a decent job with the "infamous voice" but I do hope his costume gets a major upgrade in the next film.

Ray Park as Snake Eyes was a treat. Not only was he the fan favorite from the start he completely nailed it. Yeah, he was silent the entire film, but he had the mannerisms that fit perfect with the character. The suit was fine and the mouth really didn't bother me at all. However I hope, if we get a part 2, they take a serious look at "Resolute Snake Eyes".

Channing Tatum as Duke - He really did a great job in the film and had a ton of screen time. I watched Stop Loss and after that I knew he was going to be great for the role. I like how they made him ruff around the edges and not so pretty boy.

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje - as Heavy Duty - There is a scene in the film where this guy is going mad cat out of the G.I. Joe Howler and bringing the noise! You don't get to see the aftermath in the trailer, wait for the complete scene.

Dennis Quaid as Hawk - at first I didn't think he was going to do a good job with this role. But as the film marched on he grows on you - and knowing is half the battle was well placed.

Byung-hun Lee as Storm Shadow - he was the biggest question mark for me going into the film. I really was not liking the very clean look we were seeing for our favorite Cobra Ninja, but somehow he kept the spirit and edge of the character alive while looking squeeky clean.

Rachel Nichols as Scarlett - a super smart version of her 80's counterpart that really did not bother me at all. The relationship or lack of between her and Ripcord basically came down to a good luck kiss and him flirting with her. Who cares get over it. She had several very cool kill scenes that will have every fan screaming Yo Joe!

Marlon Wayans as Ripcord - Yeah he flirts with Scarlett and gets a good luck kiss but drop the corny idea everybody has of his acting in the movie. He does have some one liners but he is a JOE and acts like one.

Saïd Taghmaoui as Breaker - I didn't like his use in the film and the eye-gadget was a little cheesy. He is a good actor but his role was small and really didn't make a huge impact in the films fast pace action.

Young Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes have a back story in the film. These two kids had a lot of fun kicking the **** out of each other and they got paid to do it. Some of you are going to have problem with this part of the film but try to keep an open mind as some things changed.

Christopher Eccleston AKA Destro, get your own board-name pal. He was super cocky and played the part of a more modern real world Destro. I was not overly impressed with the Nano-Mask he receives but it was not a complete disaster. Another costume that I hope gets a makeover next time around.

Stephen Sommers AKA the Director that has been hounded on the web for over a year now. He delivered the goods and hopefully will get the respect he has earned with this film. I had a brief chat with him at the premiere and he seemed like a down to earth guy that wanted us all to be happy with his work.

Do you notice the reoccurring theme in some of my character breakdowns? The next time around meaning part 2! I will place money where my mouth is that we see a sequel to Rise of Cobra. It was a fun movie to watch and updated the G.I. Joe Team to a modern movie going audience. The kids are going to eat this one alive. Good luck finding ROC action figures after this hits mass release. Hasbro and Paramount have yet another run away hit on their hands. By all means don't take my word for it.
Go see it for yourself!

YO JOE!

Not a good sign here...

No go: Paramount won't show critics `G.I. Joe'
By CHRISTY LEMIRE (AP)

LOS ANGELES — It's the biggest movie of the summer that practically no one has seen.

"G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" opens Friday, but Paramount Pictures isn't screening the blockbuster for critics beforehand. Only a select few writers from blogs and movie Web sites have seen it for review — such as Harry Knowles, the self-professed "Head Geek" from Ain't It Cool News — and their opinions have been mostly positive.
Instead, the studio says it's intentionally aiming the movie at the heartland, at cities and audiences outside the entertainment vortexes of New York and Los Angeles. Paramount held a screening Friday for 1,000 military service members and their families at Andrews Air Force Base; it's also focusing marketing efforts in places like Kansas City, Charlotte, N.C., and Columbus, Ohio.

While appealing to a sense of patriotism nationwide, the plan also is inspired by the disparity that existed between the critical trashing "Transformers: Rise of the Fallen" received and the massive crowds it drew at the box office.

"`G.I. Joe' is a big, fun, summer event movie — one that we've seen audiences enjoy everywhere from Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland to Phoenix, Ariz.," said Rob Moore, vice chairman of Paramount Pictures. "After the chasm we experienced with `Transformers 2' between the response of audiences and critics, we chose to forgo opening-day print and broadcast reviews as a strategy to promote `G.I. Joe.' We want audiences to define this film."

With a reported production budget of $175 million and a cast that includes Dennis Quaid, Channing Tatum, Sienna Miller, Marlon Wayans and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, "G.I. Joe" follows the adventures of an elite team using high-tech spy and military equipment to take down a corrupt arms dealer. It comes from director Stephen Sommers, whose previous films include "The Mummy" and "Van Helsing."

Long before anyone saw the completed product, though, "G.I. Joe" drew mixed buzz at best for its trailer, which premiered during the Super Bowl. Now it's the final action picture of the summer — and it has a lot in common with the highest-grossing film so far this year, the "Transformers" sequel. Both are effects-laden spectacles based on Hasbro toys and both are Paramount releases from producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura.

"Transformers" has gone on to gross more than $388 million in the United States alone since its opening six weeks ago, despite receiving just 20 percent positive reviews on the Web site Rotten Tomatoes, a critical aggregator. The withholding of "G.I. Joe" from mainstream critics suggests that the studios believe they can succeed at the box office without them.

It's a tactic normally reserved for horror movies or other genre pictures with built-in fans who don't necessarily care about reviews — ones based on video games, for example — not summer blockbusters. Still, "G.I. Joe" has been tracking well because it represents the last big bang of the season, said Paul Dergarabedian, box-office analyst for Hollywood.com.

"They don't need (to screen) it and there's no upside to negative reviews. The film is going to open well no matter what," Dergarabedian said. "They're being very strategic in who they show the movie to. If they can win over their core audience from these reviews, that's good for the movie."

Devin Faraci from the film Web site CHUD.com is one of the few writers who have seen it for review purposes, and not just for junket interviews. He's among the critics who've contributed to the movie's 88-percent positive rating as tabulated by Rotten Tomatoes, saying: "If I was 10 years old, `G.I. Joe' would be one of the best movies I had ever seen."

Faraci said he was in Toronto recently when he received a phone call at 8:30 a.m. Los Angeles time, asking if he could come to the Paramount lot that day for a "G.I. Joe" screening. He flew back, got off the plane and headed right over.

"It's silly. It's a film that plays on its own terms," he said. "I don't think reviews will kill it but I think it'll get a more positive response than they expect. It's a big, silly, pulpy, cartoony action film and it makes no apologies for being that way."

I think they have a point....why have critics look at the movie when no one paid attention to them about Transformers 2???

i dont put stock in what reviewers have to say anyhow. I was going to see this movie regardless what anyone said.

Another websites review of RoC

ENI REVIEW
Reviewed by Jay on Mon August 3, 2009
G.I.Joe Rise of Cobra tells the story of a top-secret special ops team composed of the best of the best operatives from around the world. These operatives have come together to fight the most dangerous enemies who pose a threat to democracy and freedom. The most recent threat to bring the Joes into action is a new and unknown organization that sports highly advanced weaponry. This mysterious adversary seeks to steal a new type of nanotechnology-based warheads created by M.A.R.S and funded by NATO. What the Joes don’t know is that there is more to M.A.R.S. than anyone realizes.

I went into this movie thinking the story would be weak and the special-effects would be stellar, but I came out of the movie thinking the exact opposite. Even though this movie faces the significant job of completely rewriting G.I.Joe lore of years past, I think it does a good job of incorporating the overall feel of those classic 80’s G.I.Joe animated mini-series that I grew up watching.

It has the big battles and the times where the enemy seems to have the upper hand and faces imminent victory. It has the exotic locations and the outlandishly cool headquarter for both sides. It has the camaraderie between the Joe team members and the deceit and back stabbing of the bad guys. All things we have come to expect from G.I.Joe over the years.

Where the movie loses me at times is the outlandishly over-the-top special effects used during the movie. There are some scenes that would be cool if this were a cartoon, but they just don’t work in live-action. The most noticeable of these scenes is the big Paris chase scene where Joes break out exo-suits that give them extraordinary abilities. Now the movie is set in the near future, so the yet-to-be-developed technology is not the problem. The scenes just look corny and fake because they are so over-the-top. To a kid these scenes might be really cool, but as an adult they were just hard to swallow.

There some nice nods to Classic Joe fans throughout the movie, and I recommend that collectors stay for the ending credits (watch the symbols, etc. in the background). I won’t say this is one of the best movies of the summer, although I believe it falls between Transformers and Transformers II. For long time Joe fans, I think you have enough to sink your teeth into to really enjoy it. For the more casual fan or first-timers, this is a good popcorn action flick. For younger kids, I think it has enough cool gadgets and stuff to keep them engaged throughout the film.

Yo Joe!

We're at a time when critic reviews are far more meaningless than ever before. It should make no difference that G.I. Joe isn't being screened for critics. The online reviews being positive, though, are refreshing.

I think it would be absolutely awesome if ALL movies stopped screening for critics. :o

Do you know how many movies have made 100+ mil that were never critic screened? A lot. And usually that was due to audiences seeing the marketing and going. Most people in the 8-25 year old range don't even read reviews, unless it's of the AICN/CHUD variety.

It's probably a smart move not to screen the film for critics, as it does appear to be basically an action film with a lot of silliness. Critics tend to murder films like that.

Well, I do think part of the success of ST had to do with the critical reception. But that's really the only one I can think f. However, critics reviews (especially positive ones) give the GA something to look at when hesitant about a movie. Like ST, nobody was sure about it, because ST has sucked since Nemesis before this one. The overwhelmingly positive responses encouraged people to see it.

I stopped listening to critics when one, i seem to remember it being either Siskel or Ebert, review Batman89 and wondered why there were bats in the batcave. True story. I dont need anyone to tell if I like a movie because I have different tastes based on the genre and I tend to cut directors slack that I like....like Tarantino

I thought they wondered why the bats were in cages.

i seem to recall them say in "why there were bats in the batcave"...i was stunned by that

Critics have to loosen up sometimes. I respect them, because (like the Oscars) they bring awareness to good and lesser known films. But really, nobody cares what they think, because TF2 is still making a killing.

You guys really need to wake up. When they don't screen a film for critics, 9 times out of 10, it's because they know it's really effin' bad.

It's quite funny really, critics opinions don't matter anyway. They get to see movies for free before anybody else. It's bu!!$h!t.

What I also found funny, is back before it started filming, while it was filming and in post-production all I heard was trash talk about the film, now, after the trailers, I hear mostly good stuff. I never understood the anormous amount of hatred for a movie that wasn't finished. It's funny how things turn around. I'm glad they are.

Critics opinions matter to fanboys and girls when its convenient for them.

All the early reviews for the movie so far seem to be favors/plants since Paramount isn't screening this for critics.

If critical reviews didn't hurt Transformers 2, what are they so worried about?

Isnt that the truth?

People who support the movies....

OMG! Its getting amazing reviews! BEST MOVIE EVER!

(when a negative one comes along)

Blah! Critics suck. Who cares what they think! BEST MOVI EVEAH!111

And the people who are against the movie....

Pfftt....good reviews? They must be giving them money. Plants.

(and if its negative)

See? I TOLD YA! A failure!

Point is....it doesnt matter. Its not your opinion. I love TF2. But I know a ton of people hate it. Oh well? Its not like it hurts me or anything.

You guys really need to wake up. When they don't screen a film for critics, 9 times out of 10, it's because they know it's really effin' bad.

Untrue. It just means that the movie isnt for critics. It wont be a peice of gold. Its not a fancy Steak. Its a Big Mac. Messy, greesy, but tasty. Its fluff. Its not a movie for people who analize and pick apart movies.

Untrue. It just means that the movie isnt for critics. It wont be a peice of gold. Its not a fancy Steak. Its a Big Mac. Messy, greesy, but tasty. Its fluff. Its not a movie for people who analize and pick apart movies.

Here is a list of recent movies that weren't screened for critics. Now, I didn't see all of these films, but those that I did see were dogsh** on a paper plate. Maybe one or two of these movies wasn't screened because they "weren't for critics" but the chances that G.I. Joe is in that minority is a longshot. You're just in denial because you want this movie to be good.

The Collector
Obsessed
Crank: High Voltage
12 Rounds
Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li
Madea Goes To Jail
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
The Haunting of Molly Hartley
SAW V
An American Carol
Fireproof
My Best Friend’s Girl