[SPOILERS] "More enjoyable than Transformers 2"? New Reviews!

Currently 80% at Rotten Tomatoes! Let's see how high it can hold! :D

I predicted last month that this might be the surprise hit of the summer alongside Star Trek, Up and The Hangover regarding reviews and box office. We shall see.

I am very happy and surprised that GiJoe is getting such good reviews. It was being bashed all summer by people, it's nice to see it getting some respect back, I sincerly hope it's a hit, would like to see more films.

GI Joe was a dark horse, but from the looks of things it definitely has the potential to be a surprise hit. Will it break the august record, set by the Born Ultimatum? We'll see, but I think the potential is definitely there, and I think Paramount believes so as well.

I had a feeling this movie would end up a sleeper hit. We'll see what happens. I'm actually very curious about the box office now...

I'm amazed some of you still think these reviews were bought. Maybe if it was one or two but there've been like 10 or so or more like this!

It sounds like it's exactly what I want it to be. A faithful-enough adaptation of the comics and cartoons. Which means it's just Joes and Cobras shooting at each other for 90 minutes lol I'm fine with that.

so i bought the first season on DVD and in the first episode or the Mass device saga Cobra snatches the Eiffel Tower....and in the new movie Cobra disintergrates it...nice little homage

The scene from the trailer where the Eiffel Tower gets dissolved is the only thing I actively disliked. It just looked so obviously CGI'd. Oh well, I'm still excited for this movie, since it looks to be entertaining at the very least.

I'm amazed some of you still think these reviews were bought. Maybe if it was one or two but there've been like 10 or so or more like this!

It sounds like it's exactly what I want it to be. A faithful-enough adaptation of the comics and cartoons. Which means it's just Joes and Cobras shooting at each other for 90 minutes lol I'm fine with that.

It sounds like exactly what you want it to be because most ppl on here project their own desires and read into the reviews what they want to.

Reading the reviews it states that the movie is very much NOT faithful to the comics and cartoons. Basically they're saying it doesn't have much to do with GI JOE from the 80s but that dont worry about that because no one really cares about the source material anyways.

None of the reviews says it's a REALLY GOOD MOVIE. Just that it doesn't suck and if you go into it expecting to be entertained you'll be entertained by the action.

Playing the 80s game... imo the best case scenario for this movie is The A-Team, where you KNEW the show was stupid watching it as a 11 year old but still didn't care because STUFF BLEW UP SO GOOD and because Mr. T, Peppard and Starbuck portrayed their characters with such charisma and fun. Worst case scenario is MEGAFORCE, where you knew all the mecha and **** SHOULD be cool but somehow the sum fell short of the parts.

The only review that raises any flags is the CHUD one. You can always go with the opposite of what they say. If they like it, it means the movie is a stinker (but still has pretensions of being better than it actually is). If they hate it, it means it's a complex movie that those halfwits at Chud didn't comprehend. A site that stays in business by adopting the "outlier" approach (being the one site that is opposite of everyone else) is simply LOL

It's a liberal conspiracy. :o

Playing the 80s game... imo the best case scenario for this movie is The A-Team, where you KNEW the show was stupid watching it as a 11 year old but still didn't care because STUFF BLEW UP SO GOOD and because Mr. T, Peppard and Starbuck portrayed their characters with such charisma and fun. Worst case scenario is MEGAFORCE, where you knew all the mecha and **** SHOULD be cool but somehow the sum fell short of the parts.

ATeam was stupid???????:csad:

The only review that raises any flags is the CHUD one. You can always go with the opposite of what they say. If they like it, it means the movie is a stinker (but still has pretensions of being better than it actually is). If they hate it, it means it's a complex movie that those halfwits at Chud didn't comprehend.

I don't think Devin bashes movies because he doesn't understand them at all. He usually, especially in terms of big movies and action/blockbuster stuff, bashes movies that he feels are pretentious, or movies he feels have been overrated by other critics.

Devin liking GI JOE basically just means it was a fun movie that doesn't pander. He tends to love fun movies, as long as they're not dumb.

wow I'm excited for G.I. Joe now....huh now I think I will see it in the theaters

Devin liking GI JOE basically just means it was a fun movie that doesn't pander. He tends to love fun movies, as long as they're not dumb.

Land of the Lost would disagree. Punisher: War Zone would disagree.

He tends to love fun movies, as long as they're not dumb.

I did not say that he likes every fun movie that does not pander.

I saw the movie Friday night, and I've got to say, I went in thinking it would be horrible, but it actually wasn't a bad movie. For lack of a better word, though, it was kind of dumb. It was awesome, though, for the fact that Channing Tatum, Marlon Wayans, Sienna Miller, and Rachel Nichols showed up. Sienna and Rachel = effin' GORGEOUS in person. They look way different in person than they do on film.

It really struck me as a kids movie that was trying to hard to be an adult movie, and I think they should have pushed to take one angle or the other. However, the only absolutely awful thing about this movie was the CGI. It's the most outdated CGI I've ever seen in a movie (yeah, even worse than Wolverine's). Next to that, Channing Tatum's performance was terrible. Many times, he'd be yelling, with no expression on his face, and many of his lines that should have been emphasized were not, and vice versa.

That said, Marlon Wayans was funny as hell, and Snake Eyes was great, but they undercut him by a lot. I really wish he had more fighting.

So, all in all, not a bad movie, but I wouldn't call it great. It's a good action flick (GREAT action) that's cheesy, but that's kind of expected of a G.I. Joe film.

hard not to think that isn't it? i mean this film went from internet turd to a golden egg. many of these sites do rely on funding in some capacity. who knows?

I don't know. A lot of people seem to have just assumed this movie would suck. Not based on anything except the fact that the trailers showed some robot armored suits and a weird outlandish weapon in Paris. There was never a really concrete reason, other than people's hatred of Channing Tatum and assumption that Marlon Wayans would suck and Sommers would make a bad movie, to reasonably believe this movie would be a bad one overall.

Last edited:
I don't know. A lot of people seem to have just assumed this movie would suck. Not based on anything except the fact that the trailers showed some robot armored suits and a weird outlandish weapon in Paris. There was never a really concrete reason, other than people's hatred of Channing Tatum and assumption that Marlon Wayans would suck and Sommers would make a bad movie, to reasonably believe this movie would be a bad one overall.
All of that is more than enough reason to assume this movie will be lame.

- Directed by a guy who has never made a watchable film
- Featuring the Wayans brother least convincing as a tough guy struggling to sound like the Macho Man Randy Savage saying "wharrtss itt acceellleraaatteeEEE?"
- The trailers and tv spots all are made up entirely of scenes from the worst movie ever made, "G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra"
- Having to choose beween two great classic concepts for CC's mask to redesign, this movie chose to make him a bubblebobble monster
- My cousin *might* have met Steven Sommers at a basketball game and Steven even admitted the movie wasn't that great

Keep in mind, the movie hasn't even been released yet. I've seen numerous movies start off great on RT, and then take HUGE nosedives when it got within a day or two of its release date. It's not safe to call this a "golden egg" yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"