Square Enix's Avengers

Im still torn on this

On the one hand, the graphics look good, lighting atmospheric effects, physics, animation, all looks great. I also like the off-beat villain choice, even though it looks like most of our fights will be against Iron Man drones and faceless mercenary henchman types.

on the other hand, the character models are still fug, I cant believe Thor’s best look is his civvies. And, as i said last time they showed it off, the gameplay still looks slow and boring, with crap AI making for easy battles just so we can feel powerful I guess. Im not usually one for Hard Mode, but I may have to go that route to make the fights actually interesting.

So i dunno where Im at... certainly wont be preordering, but I guess reviews will determine if I pick it up at full price or wait for a sale on PSN

The character models look better than when first revealed. Small tweaks but still

Hulk and Iron Man will be my main for a while! They're revealing a new playable hero on the next stream, which I assume will be Hank Pym/Ant-Man

Was watching Yong Yea's stream and I'm worried that he may be right and this could just end up being Destiny with Avengers slapped on it.

It's been confirmed that M.O.D.O.K is the main villain. I don't necessarily have high hopes, but I am looking forward to it still. Free DLC too? Great
I hope not. I could never stand MODOK. The villians so far are kind of underwhelming

I'm sure there are surprise villains in the story plus new ones added later on for extra missions dlc

I hope not. I could never stand MODOK. The villians so far are kind of underwhelming
Technically they said he's "one of the main villains" very choice wording implying there could be more.

Was watching Yong Yea's stream and I'm worried that he may be right and this could just end up being Destiny with Avengers slapped on it.

hey now
For any of its flaws, Destiny has fun, fast, hard hitting gameplay
I would love “destiny but with Avengers”
This aint that unfortunately

mission setups and the loot system? Maybe, but the gunplay is what makes that game fun

I'm just not interested in Kamala Khan. Like where's Captain America, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Hawkeye? The playable roster is not that big to add someone like Kamala Khan.

Cap "dies" early in the plot so we'll likely get him later in the game. The others are probably going to be free dlc over time. Plus they said they have a character reveal next inside look they give.

So, the story is essentially Incredibles mashed up with X-men.

Without using the X-men, of course.

Cap "dies" early in the plot so we'll likely get him later in the game. The others are probably going to be free dlc over time. Plus they said they have a character reveal next inside look they give.
Even if we get the other famous Avengers later in the dlcs. They shouldhave the strongest line up for the first couple of missions. Cap is playable in the 1st missionduring A day, but we know he disappears after that and we are getting Kamala as the 5th playable in exchange. I just don't think its a good idea to wait for several months before we get to play him again, well the ones that are picking this up in the 1st month.

Whoever planned this is really giving people a reason to wait til the DLCs/more iconic Avengers to come out,when they could release all them along with the main game.

I just don't know so many games that were so successful in "episodic" release strategy and are the dlcs going to be as big as the main game or is it similar to most DLCs like the ones in Arkham Knight and Spider-Man?

Yeah I don't know about this... I don't like how the levels are basically just these big arenas with enemies that you select. I would've preferred an open world, something like Spider-Man PS4 or the Arkham games.

I also thought the gameplay looked a bit boring. It just didn't seem fun to play to me. You could see Thor doing that same combo over and over...

And I don't know why you would take out Captain America in your first Avengers game. :ebr: Save something like that for the sequal. People want to play as Cap. I'm sure he'll be back, but the character will probably be missing most of the game

Last edited:
hey now
For any of its flaws, Destiny has fun, fast, hard hitting gameplay
I would love “destiny but with Avengers”
This aint that unfortunately

mission setups and the loot system? Maybe, but the gunplay is what makes that game fun

To each their own I guess. I just couldn't get into that game.

How long has this game been in development? It seems like it was conceived in 2012 or 2014, which explains the look of the characters (so many of them look like they are from a movie tie in game from the first two phases of the MCU) and the massive role the Inhumans and the Tarragin Mists play in the game (remember when Marvel was trying to replace mutants with Inhumans because they didn't have the movie rights to the X-Men?).

This game's story feels so dated already. It feels too much like early MCU. It feels very uninspired.

Contrast that with Spider-Man PS4, which took a bunch of influences from comics, cartoons, and the movies, and put enough of their own spin on them to make them feel fresh and current. The Avengers game, however, just feels like a cheap tie in game with a coat of Destiny paint slapped onto it.

How long has this game been in development? It seems like it was conceived in 2012 or 2014, which explains the look of the characters (so many of them look like they are from a movie tie in game from the first two phases of the MCU) and the massive role the Inhumans and the Tarragin Mists play in the game (remember when Marvel was trying to replace mutants with Inhumans because they didn't have the movie rights to the X-Men?).

This game's story feels so dated already. It feels too much like early MCU. It feels very uninspired.

Contrast that with Spider-Man PS4, which took a bunch of influences from comics, cartoons, and the movies, and put enough of their own spin on them to make them feel fresh and current. The Avengers game, however, just feels like a cheap tie in game with a coat of Destiny paint slapped onto it.
2017 is when it was announced that Square had signed a deal with Marvel. Pre-production probably started in late 2016 after Crystal Dynamics wrapped up all work on Rise of Tomb Raider

I will wait to play the game to formulate a opnion, but from what i see its look like a fun game

So I've seen all the new footage. It looks pretty good IMO. I'll be playing. But now that gameplay, features, and modes are out of the way. I want to know what other heroes will be added.

I expect Black Panther and Hawkeye will be the first.

I expect we'll get:

Hawkeye
Black Panther
Captain Marvel
Ant man (maybe wasp)
Scarlet witch
Vision

I hope we get:

Dr. Strange
She hulk
War machine
Beast