Discovery Star Trek: Discovery - Part 1

Nerdy peeve…

According to my channel guide (and Memory Alpha), the last episode was called “The Sounds of Thunder.”

But almost every review I’ve come across - on major sites like io9, the AVClub, etc. - has been referring to it as “The Sound of Thunder.”

Now, one assumes the title was inspired by the classic Bradbury time-travel short story, “A Sound of Thunder.” And perhaps this is the source of confusion. (BTW, is this a hint that time-travel figures into the Red Angel storyline? :wow:) In any case, Bradbury used the singular; DISCO used the plural.

;nd

That's why having the title displayed at the start after the credits would be good. There would be no dispute.

Well, now… I just checked the All Access site, which lists the episode as “The Sound of Thunder.” So I (maybe:cwink:) stand corrected. Except… pluralizing the title of Bradbury’s famous story would seem to take deliberate effort - which would only be done (IMO) if an “official” ST source confirmed the plural. So what was the source that, say, Memory Alpha, Wikipedia and channel guides used?
:thf:

Edited to add: Usually (though not always) when ST recycles a familiar title, it’ll make a small change so as to indicate the difference. E.g., TOS had “The Naked Time” and TNG had “The Naked Now.” Likewise, TNG had “Brothers” while DISCO used “Brother.” Thus, it makes sense that “A Sound of Thunder” would be slightly altered to “The Sounds of Thunder.” But maybe not in this case… :shrug:

Last edited:
Well it's no secret amongst the Discovery and Enterprise that Michael is Spock's sister. If Pike knows and his successor is Kirk, you'd assume Kirk would also know (I'm sure Burnham would be mentioned in a few of Pike's logs) I mean, you'd at least expect a "how's your sister getting on?" seeing as she's a Starfleet officer.
To be fair, I don't ever remember Spock asking Kirk how his (Kirks) brother was..

To be fair, I don't ever remember Spock asking Kirk how his (Kirks) brother was..
To be honest, I'm only really knowledgeable about TNG so my opinion on anything to do with Spock is probably moot lol. I didn't even know Kirk had a brother haha!

Only seen once and he was dead (Shatner played the stiff).

Tholians please.

Brilliant news in any case. I wonder who’ll be the next captain.

Didn't they have the Tholians in Enterprise?

I want to see some Commodores. They had that rank back in the original series. Where have they disappeared to now? There was Commodore Matt Decker, who could potentially be a captain still at the moment.

Didn't they have the Tholians in Enterprise?
They did, but we could use more of them. Discovery has touched on the mirror universe and the Tholian are heavily involved in all that, besides they’re one of the few interesting species in Trek that haven’t been explored yet.

I wouldn’t want them fleshed out too much, but at the same time I wouldn’t mind seeing more of them.

When I said I wanted to see some Commodores, I didn't mean Lionel Richie showing up. Although if Commodore Richie met the Dax symbiont, he could say that she's Five Times a Lady. :o

I wouldn't mind a commodore, I'm just not sure where they'd fit in with Trek; they haven't felt the need to have them since TOS introduced one.

Thinking on aliens too, I'd welcome an encounter with some known aliens of this time; Discovery itself can seemingly get to anywhere in the galaxy (which makes you wonder why none of the Delta or Gamma Quadrant has been mapped before), but needless to say, DSC is at a time pre TOS, yet post ENT, so is there any reason we couldn't meet a Suliban or two? Maybe the odd Xindi Scientist? It's not as if all Xindi are going to suddenly go into isolation.

Then you've got other species like the Caitian, Rigelian, Deltan, Denobulian, or even the Tzenkethi?

I'd like to see another Deltan. Don't know what female is going to want to shave their head though. Would also be cool to see a Rigelian.

Why are there no Yeomans on Discovery? They definitely had them on the Enterprise, both in the Cage, and in the original series.

And at what point do the women decide they start wanting to wear mini skirts?

Production trivia: tonight's episode is directed by James ("Sarek") Frain's wife.

Well, we finally meet Spock. Can’t quite get a feel on Georgiou though, for a former empress (and a dictator at that), she seems to have a very different stance here in the prime universe.

Loved the banter between Pike & Tyler too.

I'd like to see another Deltan. Don't know what female is going to want to shave their head though. Would also be cool to see a Rigelian.
I’m sure there are enough ways to hide a woman’s hair these days without their need to shave it off if they did want to include a female Deltan. Karen Gilian didn’t shave her head for Guardians 2 or Infinity War. They found a way around it. She wore a cap if I’m not mistaken?

Apparently, those numbers Spock was mumbling…

…the coordinates of Talos IV?…

...have been in the season 2 opening credits all along.

D0mqrCMXQAEvEsu.jpg:large

credit to:

Another great episode! I really liked this version of Spock and I felt like Ethan Peck pulled it off. I'll be curious to see him as a sane Spock, but I think he did great so far. I also loved seeing a little of the relationship between Sarek and Amanda as I always wondered how their pairing worked. It was interesting to see them as a couple and see Amanda stand up to him. I also enjoyed seeing Burnham's compassion for Spock and their scenes together. I'm going to hate how eventually she's never mentioned by Spock, they seem to have genuine affection for one another.
I also cannot say enough about how great the CGI is on this season. So many of the scenes of Pike and the "time rift" looked cinema-worthy. I also loved the little shot at the beginning of the Discovery coming into orbit around a planet, the way the scene was shot looked very much like the beginning scenes of so many TNG/VOY episodes that started out the exact same way. Nice little touch there. The way it was framed looked so similar, though the CGI much more advanced.

Well, we finally got to see Spock, sort of... It'll be interesting to hear how he sounds when he can string a few coherent sentences together.

Nerd/geek rant about to begin.
at the end where Burnham works out the coordinates and where they lead to, I am totally certain they are nonsense, in the Star Trek Universe that is.

Ship direction coordinates are calculated using two circles at right angles to one another using degree measurements in each one to calculate your overall vector.

For instance, 180 mark 045 would mean you turn around and then pitch up 45 degrees and whoosh...
So it is something between 0-359 for each coordinate to plot your three dimensional course.

Therefore 749 mark 148 is complete twaddle.
And this type of navigation is only useful on a per ship basis, two ships in two different places would have different coordinates to the same planet.
A set of galactic coordinates would have made more sense.

Sorry, just had to get that off of my chest! :D

Of course, if I am wrong, I would love to be corrected... :cwink:

...Ship direction coordinates are calculated using two circles at right angles to one another using degree measurements in each one to calculate your overall vector.

For instance, 180 mark 045 would mean you turn around and then pitch up 45 degrees and whoosh...
So it is something between 0-359 for each coordinate to plot your three dimensional course.

Therefore 749 mark 148 is complete twaddle.
And this type of navigation is only useful on a per ship basis, two ships in two different places would have different coordinates to the same planet.
A set of galactic coordinates would have made more sense.

Yeah, I always assumed that ST’s navigational numbers were just random, technobabble (kinda like star dates :word:). True, various tech manuals have tried to rationalize them to some extent. E.g., headings are sometimes based on a 360° system; or sometimes on another “futuristic” system - which conveniently explains numbers > than 360. :yay: Also, as you mention, a heading is not the same as a 3D spatial coordinate. Indeed, according to Memory Alpha, coordinates in ST were - in different episodes/iterations - expressed with two, three or even four numbers. :shrug:

In any case… I’m not sure if the coordinates of Talos IV were specified in either “The Cage” or “The Menagerie.” However, they were (apparently) mentioned in a RPG source book as “749 mark 148” (or “7.49S/1.48E”). So to the extent that internal consistency counts, DISCO is being consistent.

Who wants to bet that the Red Angel is Burnham ?
Edit :
Pike calling the bridge crew by their names when he issued commands was nice, I still can't remember all names but it gave them more identity so to speak.
Tyler & Pike bromancing scene when they get back to the ship :)

Last edited:
Edit :
Pike calling the bridge crew by their names when he issued commands was nice, I still can't remember all names but it gave them more identity so to speak.
Tyler & Pike bromancing scene when they get back to the ship :)
Yup I'm totally on board the Burnham as Red Angel train. I think she'll have to accept that as her fate (although I don't think that will come to pass at the end of this season)

Oh god I hope it isn’t. That would be SUCH a disappointment.

It’s also only just occurred to me that Talos IV is the same planet Pike ends up on in [his] future. There’s gotta be a connection there? Maybe it’s Pike who’s the Red Angel and his future self has gone through some sort of metamorphosis having lived on Talos IV for so long? Maybe that suit is what’s making his future self able bodied?

I wouldn’t mind if the Red Angel was Pike, Spock, even Kirk or someone else that we may know of, I just don’t really want it to be Burnham. I’m (secretly) hoping Prime Lorca.

It being Burnham would just be so predictable, so I'm hoping they go in another direction.

Oh god I hope it isn’t. That would be SUCH a disappointment.

It’s also only just occurred to me that Talos IV is the same planet Pike ends up on in [his] future. There’s gotta be a connection there? Maybe it’s Pike who’s the Red Angel and his future self has gone through some sort of metamorphosis having lived on Talos IV for so long? Maybe that suit is what’s making his future self able bodied?

I wouldn’t mind if the Red Angel was Pike, Spock, even Kirk or someone else that we may know of, I just don’t really want it to be Burnham. I’m (secretly) hoping Prime Lorca.
Yeah, I can only think that Talos IV has been brought into it because of its relevance to Pike's future fate. Obviously the Red Angel is also connected so Pike ending up as the Red Angel is a definite possibility. Perhaps they're going to give him a revised - and less depressing - fate.

If Burnham ends up being the Red Angel, I’m a gonna do something stoopid... :oldrazz:

I am digging the new look of the talosians!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"