Star Trek: The Motion Picture--Appreciation Thread

Road Warrior

Sidekick
Reaction score
B00005JKHP.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I'm one of the few people who think that the first Star Trek film is the best. I'm a big fan of the original Star Trek series from the `60s because of its commentary on society and its hopes and messages for the future. The film series, however, I've never been a fan of because it lacked what I loved about the series. The exception being the first film, Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Many think the film is boring. I think it's a great film because of its exploration of space, knowledge, love, and existance itself. I don't want to insult anyone, but I think most people don't get the point of the film.

When the Trekkies discover this thread they'll be shouting...

untitled.jpg

KKKHHHHHHHAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

TMP was boring. Actually ST5 was the worst.

I'd appreciate it if you kept this crap movie away from me.

Was this the one with lots of white and the bald chick ?

I'm a major Trek fan (have been since I watched the original series in its first run at NBC)....but even I can't say that this was a good movie.

It had potential....it has its moments....but overall it is a disappointment.

I'm a major Trek fan (have been since I watched the original series in its first run at NBC)....but even I can't say that this was a good movie.

It had potential....it has its moments....but overall it is a disappointment.
I agree. I would put TMP along with Nemisis and Insurrection.

It's really not as bad as I used to think. Once you watch the special features and hear what all they went through to get it made, it becomes a little better.

But I liked Nemisis....so don't count it among the lesser Trek movies.
I liked Nemisis too. I'm just saying it's not the best. Come to think of it Nemsis is alot more bearable than TMP:yay:

I liked Nemisis too. I'm just saying it's not the best. Come to think of it Nemsis is alot more bearable than TMP:yay:

That's for sure.

The best thing about TMP was the re-inventing of the Klingons (as Roddenberry had wanted to do originaly).....too much of the rest seemed bland.

Nemisis at least moved along at a decent pace.

Of course TMP is not as bad as The Final Frontier

It would be quite ironic if people who find the film unbearable were referring to the DC of the film. Because if that's the case, thank your lucky stars you didn't see the original cut.

BTW, Jerry Goldsmith's score owns you all

B00005JKHP.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I'm one of the few people who think that the first Star Trek film is the best. I'm a big fan of the original Star Trek series from the `60s because of its commentary on society and its hopes and messages for the future. The film series, however, I've never been a fan of because it lacked what I loved about the series. The exception being the first film, Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Many think the film is boring. I think it's a great film because of its exploration of space, knowledge, love, and existance itself. I don't want to insult anyone, but I think most people don't get the point of the film.
I agree that the Motion Picture is underrated. I like Ilia's Theme music and the special effects are kick ass, much better than today's CGI nonsense.

If this was the one where the guy came through the transporter all mangled, then that was the only good part.
I would almost think that a person saying this was "the best", would have to be a troll trying to provoke a huge outcry to giggle over, though I know that it's probably just a great illustration of how varied opinions are.

'Cause it was really lackluster. :huh:

The motion picture wasn't as bad as everyone claims.. Especially the Darth Vader part.. But nothing beats Wrath of Khan

Maybe he was in the background or something :huh:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture ....... mmmmmm, it was ..... ok.

Here in the UK they recently showed all the movies up to First Contact over several weeks, it was a good chance to catch up with them and see if the years had been kind.

I have to say that WOK still stands tall above all the others. The motion picture was a grand idea but is painfully dull in places and come the end you wonder why you bothered watching at all.

Credit is due for the effects but thats about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"