Xbox Starfield

what?! so playing games offline on Xbox is just useless then?! also based on what you're saying, what is even the point of buying the disc for an Xbox game in this case? after I install it, do I even need the disc anymore?

I get that modern consoles have become more and more like PCs that unique hardware. but back when consoles were more distinguished from PCs, to your bolded point - wasn't the situation the same? for all console generations, your video games would be locked to the specific console you played on.
You still have to have the disc in the drive to authenticate your license. If you try to launch the game without it, it'll send you to the store but there's no real difference in physical vs digital on Xbox.

Yes, but consoles in the 90s were a far more affordable alternative by comparison also when you put in a game into a snes, it just boots. No installs, no updates, no dreadful custom OSs. Furthermore, once you've purchased a modem console, the required to subscriptions for online play over the course of five years, you could have had a PC thats going to last you twice as long with multiple storefronts to purchase from. My current rig is going to last me at least two more console generations and I'll still have access to everything on Xbox for almost nothing every month.That's what real value in the gaming space looks like to me these days.

You still have to have the disc in the drive to authenticate your license. If you try to launch the game without it, it'll send you to the store but there's no real difference in physical vs digital on Xbox.
it sounds like there is a difference, but just that there is not really an advantage to buying physically for Xbox. on Ps5 if you buy the game, then you own that copy of the game, you have the license and all that jazz. but with Xbox, it sounds like you don't even own the license. the disc just gives you access to playit.
Yes, but consoles in the 90s were a far more affordable alternative by comparison also when you put in a game into a snes, it just boots. No installs, no updates, no dreadful custom OSs.
well, the platforms holders aren't really at fault with this. to appeal to as wide of an audience as they can, the hardware has to have software that is modern. it's certainly annoying to have to deal with installations and updates, but I am gonna guess and say that those things did not occur with PC gaming in the 90s either. so it's affecting all platforms across the board. it's something that neither console gamers or PC gamers had to deal with in the past, and now, it's not something that only console gamers have to deal with; PC gamers included
Furthermore, once you've purchased a modem console, the required to subscriptions for online play over the course of five years, you could have had a PC thats going to last you twice as long with multiple storefronts to purchase from. My current rig is going to last me at least two more console generations and I'll still have access to everything on Xbox for almost nothing every month.That's what real value in the gaming space looks like to me these days.
this is something else I blame Microsoft for. I'm sure all of the platform holders are enjoying the profit & revenue they get from their subscription services, but it all started with Xbox live. Sony went a whole generation without making consumers pay for it (Ps3's gen), and then decided they wanted a piece of the pie and have the audacity to raise the prices without making the services any better.

Nintendo's got their share as well, but at least it's much less expensive; I think $30 per year.

it sounds like there is a difference, but just that there is not really an advantage to buying physically for Xbox. on Ps5 if you buy the game, then you own that copy of the game, you have the license and all that jazz. but with Xbox, it sounds like you don't even own the license. the disc just gives you access to playit.

well, the platforms holders aren't really at fault with this. to appeal to as wide of an audience as they can, the hardware has to have software that is modern. it's certainly annoying to have to deal with installations and updates, but I am gonna guess and say that those things did not occur with PC gaming in the 90s either. so it's affecting all platforms across the board. it's something that neither console gamers or PC gamers had to deal with in the past, and now, it's not something that only console gamers have to deal with; PC gamers included

this is something else I blame Microsoft for. I'm sure all of the platform holders are enjoying the profit & revenue they get from their subscription services, but it all started with Xbox live. Sony went a whole generation without making consumers pay for it (Ps3's gen), and then decided they wanted a piece of the pie and have the audacity to raise the prices without making the services any better.

Nintendo's got their share as well, but at least it's much less expensive; I think $30 per year.
I'm going to assume you were born in the 90s based on your response here. You have always had to install games on IBM derivative home computers which became the standard in the mid to late 80s. PC games have had dowloadable updates as early as 94 if not earlier. PC gaming used to have a massive learning curve between installation, drivers , etc but Microsoft, Steam and Nvidia have completely streamlined those processes to point where it's basically consolization. You can even have your PC boot into steams console style interface and avoid directly dealing with windows altogether. Microsoft has directly made their own first party hardware obsolete before it ever hits store shelves and based my experience working for them, I believe that is by design. You also had vastly different experiences available to You each platform. There were reasons to own a Mega Drive/Genesis, and a SNES and home computer. Now everything is so homogenized that I only need to own a PC and a Switch. Xbox games get day 1 PC releases and Playstation games now get PC ports eventually.

I'm going to assume you were born in the 90s based on your response here.
you are correct in your assumption! I am a millennial. are you too?
You have always had to install games on IBM derivative home computers which became the standard in the mid to late 80s. PC games have had dowloadable updates as early as 94 if not earlier. PC gaming used to have a massive learning curve between installation, drivers , etc but Microsoft, Steam and Nvidia have completely streamlined those processes to point where it's basically consolization.
wow. I never knew that and never would have thought that like. but if Microsoft, Steam, & Nvidia have done "consolization", doesn't that mean that PCs are also now more like consoles, just like it is the other way around?
You can even have your PC boot into steams console style interface and avoid directly dealing with windows altogether. Microsoft has directly made their own first party hardware obsolete before it ever hits store shelves and based my experience working for them, I believe that is by design. You also had vastly different experiences available to You each platform. There were reasons to own a Mega Drive/Genesis, and a SNES and home computer. Now everything is so homogenized that I only need to own a PC and a Switch. Xbox games get day 1 PC releases and Playstation games now get PC ports eventually.
I see. I guess you're refraining from buying a Ps5 because you're waiting for each of its exclusives to eventually make their way over to PC as well, right?

you are correct in your assumption! I am a millennial. are you too?
Im
wow. I never knew that and never would have thought that like. but if Microsoft, Steam, & Nvidia have done "consolization", doesn't that mean that PCs are also now more like consoles, just like it is the other way around?

I see. I guess you're refraining from buying a Ps5 because you're waiting for each of its exclusives to eventually make their way over to PC as well, right?
I was born in the mid 80s so I guess that makes me an older millennial. My first home computer was a hand me down apple 2 from my sister's elementary school when I was 3. I was so fascinated by it, I had her teach me how to read so I could use it. By 94 we had our first IBM compatible PC and I was making my own Doom maps.

I'm indeed waiting for the inevitable PC ports. Ghost of Tsushima hits PC in May. The PC port of Final Fantasy 16 hits later this year or the beginning of next year. They're in the final stages of optimization with that one. God Of War Ragnarok will probably hit in 2025 or 26. PC has it really good for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
I was born in the mid 80s so I guess that makes me an older millennial. My first home computer was a hand me down apple 2 from my sister's elementary school when I was 3. I was so fascinated by it, I had her teach me how to read so I could use it. By 94 we had our first IBM compatible PC and I was making my own Doom maps.
holy moly, you got gifted an apple computer before you could even read?! you must be a prodigy!
I'm indeed waiting for the inevitable PC ports. Ghost of Tsushima hits PC in May. The PC port of Final Fantasy 16 hits later this year or the beginning of next year. They're in the final stages of optimization with that one. God Of War Ragnarok will probably hit in 2025 or 26. PC has it really good for the foreseeable future.
playstation fans who are only on PC are "eating" well, as the kids say these days. I feel like for the value that the playstation brand provides it was a mistake (seems like they aren't really profiting much from it), but there is no going back now. as you said, Switch and PC are all you need to make sure you get all the games.

holy moly, you got gifted an apple computer before you could even read?! you must be a prodigy!

playstation fans who are only on PC are "eating" well, as the kids say these days. I feel like for the value that the playstation brand provides it was a mistake (seems like they aren't really profiting much from it), but there is no going back now. as you said, Switch and PC are all you need to make sure you get all the games.
Steams active player base is larger than PS5s at this point. Do I think they're cannibalizing their hardware sales? Absolutely. They still get the fomo console sales although Sony published Helldivers 2 and it got a day 1 pc point so that could change. They're making money. Every port they've released so far except that The Last of Us has been great. Hell Spiderman 1 runs better on my steam deck than it did my Ps4. I'd you look at the big picture, Sony's video game division is aspect of the entire Sony company that actually turns a substantial profit so the higher ups outside of that pressuring them to expand their revenue streams makes sense but it's going to hurt hardware sales in the long run. The software sales apparently make up for it.

Steams active player base is larger than PS5s at this point. Do I think they're cannibalizing their hardware sales? Absolutely.
what about Switch's active player base? I reckon that Steam's player base is larger than its too, right? as flawed as Nintendo's policies can be, they are smart enough to not cannibalize their hardware sales. the only notable non-Nintendo release I can think of from them is Pokemon Go.
They still get the fomo console sales although Sony published Helldivers 2 and it got a day 1 pc point so that could change.
I think as more time goes on, there will be more PC gamers like you who will just wait patiently for the ports of playstation games and not give into the fomo. but you're right, Helldivers 2 is the first day and date release on Ps5 & PC, and it is a really big deal for Sony because of the sleeper hit that it turned out to be.

I have been playing the game and have been having fun with it. I finally got a new goto multiplayer game.
They're making money.
yes, but eventually they are going to cannibalize themselves and start losing money. this state of mind you have of how having an Xbox is unnecessary...it's eventually going to catch on with playstation too. It was during the last generation that I heard people giving the sentiment of "what do I need an Xbox for? all of their games are coming to PC..." and while I haven't seen that sentiment that much with Ps5, I feel like it's going to catch on eventually.
Every port they've released so far except that The Last of Us has been great. Hell Spiderman 1 runs better on my steam deck than it did my Ps4.
man, every multiplatform game ever is gonna look and run best on PC! it's just the nature of the beast. if you get the PC version of a multiplayer game, you're getting the best version of the game available.
I'd you look at the big picture, Sony's video game division is aspect of the entire Sony company that actually turns a substantial profit so the higher ups outside of that pressuring them to expand their revenue streams makes sense but it's going to hurt hardware sales in the long run. The software sales apparently make up for it.
I don't know if it was a higher up from Sony who mandated PC releases, or if this was a decision made while Jim Ryan was in power. The opportunity cost of making playstation games available on PC may not be paying off. I think I saw the statistic somewhere, if I find it I'll post it but I don't know if the software sales is actually making up for the hardware sales.

Last edited:
Helldivers 2 is an interesting beast because it's so good, it's gotten my jaded ass into it and I don't play online games anymore due to their complete lack of respect for my time. My question these days are what do we lose if Sony and Microsoft get out of hardware and became software focused? For me personally, not much but I also don’t have any real emotional investment in these companies either. The game's themselves are what matter to me first and foremost. I like Nintendo as developer more than anything else.

Helldivers 2 is an interesting beast because it's so good, it's gotten my jaded ass into it and I don't play online games anymore due to their complete lack of respect for my time. My question these days are what do we lose if Sony and Microsoft get out of hardware and became software focused? For me personally, not much but I also don’t have any real emotional investment in these companies either. The game's themselves are what matter to me first and foremost. I like Nintendo as developer more than anything else.
ohhhhhh so you've been playing it too??? nice! there is a thread about it in the Sony forum in case you're interested.

I grew up playing on playstation. I have a fond memory of the Ps2 being my birthday gift when I turned 10, and I think the Ps1 when I was 6 or 7. I have a lot of fond memories playing on the systems so I'd say I have a lot of emotional investment in them. however, the company itself aside from the brand has a lot of unfavorable practices - such as raising the price of ps plus, or blocking crossplay (for as long as I could), so I got no love for the corporate toxicity that comes with the industry.

I just appreciate seeing them succeed. every time a video game console makes a milestone of sales above 100 million is amazing to see, and that's why I'd be sad if the console sales start to decline.

ohhhhhh so you've been playing it too??? nice! there is a thread about it in the Sony forum in case you're interested.

I grew up playing on playstation. I have a fond memory of the Ps2 being my birthday gift when I turned 10, and I think the Ps1 when I was 6 or 7. I have a lot of fond memories playing on the systems so I'd say I have a lot of emotional investment in them. however, the company itself aside from the brand has a lot of unfavorable practices - such as raising the price of ps plus, or blocking crossplay (for as long as I could), so I got no love for the corporate toxicity that comes with the industry.

I just appreciate seeing them succeed. every time a video game console makes a milestone of sales above 100 million is amazing to see, and that's why I'd be sad if the console sales start to decline.
With how ****ty the industry has gotten and my first hand experience with it, I'm on the side of the consumer first and foremost and the game console model is very anti consumer and frankly obsolete. Microsoft actively releases hardware they know day 1 has a high probability to fail on you within the first 18 months then have the nerve to charge you to fix it if it's after a year and they know you're going to pay it because your game library is trapped there. After the Ps2, Sony got much better with their build quality so I will give them credit for that. My biggest issue with Sony these days is their first party output this gen does nothing for me and the general output of triple A releases worth my time this generation are seemingly few and far between. When I see articles about potential Ps5 or Xbox Series successors I facepalm because I feel like there's not enough content on their current hardware to justify new hardware already.

With how ****ty the industry has gotten and my first hand experience with it, I'm on the side of the consumer first and foremost and the game console model is very anti consumer and frankly obsolete. Microsoft actively releases hardware they know day 1 has a high probability to fail on you within the first 18 months then have the nerve to charge you to fix it if it's after a year and they know you're going to pay it because your game library is trapped there.
Is this a reference to the RROD? I know that might go down in history has the worst hardware failure of all time, but if that isn't what you're talking about then I'm not sure what it is.
After the Ps2, Sony got much better with their build quality so I will give them credit for that. My biggest issue with Sony these days is their first party output this gen does nothing for me and the general output of triple A releases worth my time this generation are seemingly few and far between.
This sounds like a personal preference thing though. Do you mean the lack of first party releases or that the releases this gen just aren't to your liking? If it's the latter, then I'm kinda in the same boat. There haven't really been much this generation at I've been interested interested in personally, but that's also because I haven't really cared; I have such a huge backlog of Ps4 games to get through that by the time I get to playing the Ps5 games I want, I could probably find them at a discounted rate.

But I don't think you should feel affected either way, because you don't get your PlayStation game-playing on an actual PlayStation anyway. From your perspective, isn't Sony just another publisher on PC?
When I see articles about potential Ps5 or Xbox Series successors I facepalm because I feel like there's not enough content on their current hardware to justify new hardware already.
I agree with you there, too. I think one big reason why a lot of people still feel like this gen "just started" is because four years into the generation, neither Sony or Microsoft have released very many games. I mean, they have, but not as much compared to this point in the last generation.

In any case, most rumors are pointing towards the Ps6 releasing in 2028, which is relatively speaking, kind of a long time away.

Is this a reference to the RROD? I know that might go down in history has the worst hardware failure of all time, but if that isn't what you're talking about then I'm not sure what it is.

This sounds like a personal preference thing though. Do you mean the lack of first party releases or that the releases this gen just aren't to your liking? If it's the latter, then I'm kinda in the same boat. There haven't really been much this generation at I've been interested interested in personally, but that's also because I haven't really cared; I have such a huge backlog of Ps4 games to get through that by the time I get to playing the Ps5 games I want, I could probably find them at a discounted rate.

But I don't think you should feel affected either way, because you don't get your PlayStation game-playing on an actual PlayStation anyway. From your perspective, ist Sony just another publisher on PC?

I agree with you there, too. I think one big reason why a lot of people still feel like this gen "just started" is because four years into the generation, neither Sony or Microsoft have released very many games. I mean, they have, but not as much compared to this point in the last generation.

In any case, most rumors are pointing towards the Ps6 releasing in 2028, which is relatively speaking, kind of a long time away.
It's a reference to the launch Xbones and by association the RROD. If you purchased an Xbone at launch and had the audacity to play the damn thing regularly, there's was huge likelihood your Blu-ray drive would fail within the first 18 months. When I discussed this issue with my bosses, they hand waved it away and told me it was issue they've been aware of PRIOR to release. As busted drives kept coming in, all they would tell me is they're aware of it and left it at that.

With me, it's both the quality and quantity of their first party releases. They are few and far between and they're not particularly interesting to me. Ghost of Tsushima and Spider-Men 2 are it for me personally and I'm getting one of those in May.

It's a reference to the launch Xbones and by association the RROD. If you purchased an Xbone at launch and had the audacity to play the damn thing regularly, there's was huge likelihood your Blu-ray drive would fail within the first 18 months. When I discussed this issue with my bosses, they hand waved it away and told me it was issue they've been aware of PRIOR to release. As busted drives kept coming in, all they would tell me is they're aware of it and left it at that.
Ohhhhhh man, I never knew about that. Or maybe I did....the issue sounds vaguely familiar. But Microsoft was not refunding people for it? Consumers had to buy a whole nother Xbone if the Blu-ray drive just bricked & otherwise, they'd have to play everything digitally instead?
With me, it's both the quality and quantity of their first party releases. They are few and far between and they're not particularly interesting to me. Ghost of Tsushima and Spider-Men 2 are it for me personally and I'm getting one of those in May.
Have you had the chance to play Ghost of Tsushima at all in the past? Or will the PC release be the first time you get to play it?

2 years seems to be the minimum with the PC release trend these days for PlayStation games. If we count Ghost of Tsushima's original release, that makes it 4 years.

Ohhhhhh man, I never knew about that. Or maybe I did....the issue sounds vaguely familiar. But Microsoft was not refunding people for it? Consumers had to buy a whole nother Xbone if the Blu-ray drive just bricked & otherwise, they'd have to play everything digitally instead?

Have you had the chance to play Ghost of Tsushima at all in the past? Or will the PC release be the first time you get to play it?

2 years seems to be the minimum with the PC release trend these days for PlayStation games. If we count Ghost of Tsushima's original release, that makes it 4 years.
No they didn't refund anyone for it. If your drive failed during the warranty, they would fix it for free which had a turn around time of three weeks or you could give them a credit card and do an advance exchange where they would immediately send you a new one only to be charged if they didn't receive the old you. If you had a brick and mortar Microsoft store, you could swap it out there, but if it was out of warranty even by a few weeks, you were stuck with a repair fee which if I recall correctly was 150 bucks. That was part of why I chose not to renew my contract with them. The last straw with them was when the Master Chief Collection came out and an email went out to everyone saying that account management wasn't allowed to refund the game despite it being a valid refund according to MS policy. They knew good and damn well the atrocious state that game launched in.

Video games are my preferred entertainment medium above movies, comics, everything so when I see an industry giant actively taking advantage of players, I take that personally.

I haven't played it yet, I adored Sucker Punch's Sly Cooper games, hated infamous so I was excited to get into what they going on next.

No they didn't refund anyone for it. If your drive failed during the warranty, they would fix it for free which had a turn around time of three weeks or you could give them a credit card and do an advance exchange where they would immediately send you a new one only to be charged if they didn't receive the old you.
dang, that still sounds like a ripoff. but I guess it isn't that bad if the consumer returns it in time to get it repaired. I feel like Sony & Nintendo are also guilty of scumbag practicers against their customers too.
If you had a brick and mortar Microsoft store, you could swap it out there, but if it was out of warranty even by a few weeks, you were stuck with a repair fee which if I recall correctly was 150 bucks. That was part of why I chose not to renew my contract with them. The last straw with them was when the Master Chief Collection came out and an email went out to everyone saying that account management wasn't allowed to refund the game despite it being a valid refund according to MS policy. They knew good and damn well the atrocious state that game launched in.
what kind of warranty only lasts for a few weeks?! they are supposed to last for at least a year! Microsoft must have lost a valued employee when you decided to talk away from them. are you still working in the video game industry now?
Video games are my preferred entertainment medium above movies, comics, everything so when I see an industry giant actively taking advantage of players, I take that personally.
I think I agree with you there, too. even as I grow older, I choose video games over all other entertainment media. and I definitely understand where you're coming from with your work ethic, but I think my morals are a little different lol depending on what Microsoft was paying me & the work schedule, I might have had to stay there if I was in your position.
I haven't played it yet, I adored Sucker Punch's Sly Cooper games, hated infamous so I was excited to get into what they going on next.
aw really? the Sly Cooper games seem unique and interesting, but I never got to play em. I did play the Infamous games though. Why do you hate it?

I really dug the first Infamous game, I still think the first might be the best. I didn't really like the second one and Second Son was alright. I think I liked the First Light DLC of it more than the main game.

dang, that still sounds like a ripoff. but I guess it isn't that bad if the consumer returns it in time to get it repaired. I feel like Sony & Nintendo are also guilty of scumbag practicers against their customers too.

what kind of warranty only lasts for a few weeks?! they are supposed to last for at least a year! Microsoft must have lost a valued employee when you decided to talk away from them. are you still working in the video game industry now?

I think I agree with you there, too. even as I grow older, I choose video games over all other entertainment media. and I definitely understand where you're coming from with your work ethic, but I think my morals are a little different lol depending on what Microsoft was paying me & the work schedule, I might have had to stay there if I was in your position.

aw really? the Sly Cooper games seem unique and interesting, but I never got to play em. I did play the Infamous games though. Why do you hate it?

I really dug the first Infamous game, I still think the first might be the best. I didn't really like the second one and Second Son was alright. I think I liked the First Light DLC of it more than the main game.
I'm sorry if I confused you. What I meant is you do get a one year warranty but it's a strict 1 year, no grace period. When you release a product that you know has potentially a high failure rate, there needs to be consumer protections in play but again, Microsoft is primarily a software company and their hardware is going to be half-assed because of that. That's a hill I'll die on lol. I've gotten out warranty replacements from Nintendo and Sony both at no cost to me because my issues were related known manufacturer issues. That's how its supposed to work. Even steam replaced my Steam Deck when I ****ed up the bumpers and opened it up and tried to fix it myself because you can purchase official parts for DIY repairs but they didn't sell the part I needed. Microsoft is the worst company in the industry for stuff like this.

With Infamous, I think I had just finished Prototype and which I felt did everything better except for the visuals and the writing. Infamous felt incredibly limited for the type of game it was trying to be.

Video games have this weird space of hyper brand loyalty from consumers that isn't seen in other forms of media and psychologicall I think that comes from video games being a first hand experience rather the second hand experience of other mediums. I took down the covenant with my battle rifle, I didn't watch Master Chief do it. It's a different type of stimulus.

An interesting side effect of my time with Microsoft is I played more tabletop games in those three years than I had in my entire life up to that.

I'm sorry if I confused you. What I meant is you do get a one year warranty but it's a strict 1 year, no grace period. When you release a product that you know has potentially a high failure rate, there needs to be consumer protections in play but again, Microsoft is primarily a software company and their hardware is going to be half-assed because of that. That's a hill I'll die on lol. I've gotten out warranty replacements from Nintendo and Sony both at no cost to me because my issues were related known manufacturer issues. That's how its supposed to work. Even steam replaced my Steam Deck when I ****ed up the bumpers and opened it up and tried to fix it myself because you can purchase official parts for DIY repairs but they didn't sell the part I needed. Microsoft is the worst company in the industry for stuff like this.
ohhhhhh okay, I see. no worries dude. well Microsoft's policy really I guess just added to their bad luck last generation anyway because with that, and as you said previously Don Mattrick's presentation, it was all a recipe for disaster during E3 2013. I guess the Xbone's hardware issues got overshadowed since there were other problems for Microsoft to deal with and in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't even close to how bad the RROD was for the 360. it's remarkable though that even though the RROD was arguably the worst hardware failure in history, the console was still overall a huge success.
With Infamous, I think I had just finished Prototype and which I felt did everything better except for the visuals and the writing. Infamous felt incredibly limited for the type of game it was trying to be.
oh yeah, I do remember the two games coming out around the same time back then and getting heavily compared to one another because of that. perhaps if I played Prototype then I may have been able to experience something like your perspective, but I only played Infamous. I think I said this already but for what it's worth, I played all of the games and still like the first game the most - and I know I'm in the minority of the Infamous fan base for that.
An interesting side effect of my time with Microsoft is I played more tabletop games in those three years than I had in my entire life up to that.
do you mean like real life tabletop games or video game-tabletop games?

ohhhhhh okay, I see. no worries dude. well Microsoft's policy really I guess just added to their bad luck last generation anyway because with that, and as you said previously Don Mattrick's presentation, it was all a recipe for disaster during E3 2013. I guess the Xbone's hardware issues got overshadowed since there were other problems for Microsoft to deal with and in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't even close to how bad the RROD was for the 360. it's remarkable though that even though the RROD was arguably the worst hardware failure in history, the console was still overall a huge success.

oh yeah, I do remember the two games coming out around the same time back then and getting heavily compared to one another because of that. perhaps if I played Prototype then I may have been able to experience something like your perspective, but I only played Infamous. I think I said this already but for what it's worth, I played all of the games and still like the first game the most - and I know I'm in the minority of the Infamous fan base for that.

do you mean like real life tabletop games or video game-tabletop games?
Real tabletop games. I couldn't stand staring at screens anymore and the sight of Master Chief made me nauseous. I was running an AD&D second edition campaign and a Call of Cthulhu campaign two nights a week, Talisman, Twilight Imperium, and Betrayal at the House on the Hill for the rest of the week.

Real tabletop games. I couldn't stand staring at screens anymore and the sight of Master Chief made me nauseous. I was running an AD&D second edition campaign and a Call of Cthulhu campaign two nights a week, Talisman, Twilight Imperium, and Betrayal at the House on the Hill for the rest of the week.
that's pretty awesome! what a great way to bring people together and this was all in person so in a way it's one level above being social on playing multiplayer video games online.

I keep hearing about updates they are doing to this game. I tried playing it again and it’s the same old s***. I started a new character a while back and I’m probably going to have to delete that one because every time I try to do that play through, the game either breaks (I can’t start the Ryujin quest line because my character can’t figure out how to sit in a chair) or just crashes entirely. I thought the gamer community was being too hard on this game, because it seems like these days, every game is either “OMG BEST GAME EVARRR” or “TOTAL PIECE OF S***” but I’m at the point where I’m just disgusted with how little Bethesda has done to ACTUALLY improve this damned game. I don’t give a crap about photo mode. I just want to be able to finish questlines without the game crashing. I give up. I’m not playing this **** until the DLC comes out (which I’m sure will have a ton of issues too).

I keep hearing about updates they are doing to this game. I tried playing it again and it’s the same old s***. I started a new character a while back and I’m probably going to have to delete that one because every time I try to do that play through, the game either breaks (I can’t start the Ryujin quest line because my character can’t figure out how to sit in a chair) or just crashes entirely. I thought the gamer community was being too hard on this game, because it seems like these days, every game is either “OMG BEST GAME EVARRR” or “TOTAL PIECE OF S***” but I’m at the point where I’m just disgusted with how little Bethesda has done to ACTUALLY improve this damned game. I don’t give a crap about photo mode. I just want to be able to finish questlines without the game crashing. I give up. I’m not playing this **** until the DLC comes out (which I’m sure will have a ton of issues too).
I feel this same way just about media across the board between video games, movies, TV shows, and music. Not every single product has to be a masterpiece to be good...and not every single product has to be garbage just to be bad...

I don't think I have ever played a Bethesda game before so I can't judge Starfield on its own merits, but from what I heard it's a great game, even if it isn't Bethesda's best output.

I feel this same way just about media across the board between video games, movies, TV shows, and music. Not every single product has to be a masterpiece to be good...and not every single product has to be garbage just to be bad...

I don't think I have ever played a Bethesda game before so I can't judge Starfield on its own merits, but from what I heard it's a great game, even if it isn't Bethesda's best output.

Yeah, seriously. Starfield has issues - a lot of them - and it’s frustrating to see them still not getting resolved. And I can understand being disappointed in the game; while I liked a lot about it during my first playthrough, there was certainly some lazy writing in spots and the procedural generation makes a lot of the locations feel the same. But seriously, if you just search for Starfield on YouTube, you’ll probably find 100 videos with titles like “Starfield Is the Worst Game Ever Made and Bethesda is a Joke.” And it’s fine to hate the game but it feels like so much of the hate is just backlash over Bethesda milking Skyrim for a decade or whatever.

Yeah, seriously. Starfield has issues - a lot of them - and it’s frustrating to see them still not getting resolved. And I can understand being disappointed in the game; while I liked a lot about it during my first playthrough, there was certainly some lazy writing in spots and the procedural generation makes a lot of the locations feel the same. But seriously, if you just search for Starfield on YouTube, you’ll probably find 100 videos with titles like “Starfield Is the Worst Game Ever Made and Bethesda is a Joke.” And it’s fine to hate the game but it feels like so much of the hate is just backlash over Bethesda milking Skyrim for a decade or whatever.
A lot of the criticisms are way overdone of course, that's how you get clicks. But I hope the next Elder Scrolls avoids most of the issues/complaints Starfield saw in its runup. They have plenty of time to absorb all this and be ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"