• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

State Your Opinion on A DC Character - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally! The round I've been lurking for!

My absolute favorite DC character, Kate Spencer (and Marc Andreyko, for that matter) won me over as a lifelong fan in a single issue, that being her debut in Manhunter #1. I love her personality, her career, her (slightly dysfunctional) family, and her supporting cast, particularly Dylan Battles.

And as for her superheroic career: first off, what a great costume. It's one of the few outfits of any heroine in comics that I can actually take seriously. Not only that, but the outfit itself actually has a pretty storied history all its own, which only adds to its overall mystique.

What's more, though, is that I thoroughly appreciate Kate's origin story. Not your typical, "Someone I know was maimed or killed, so now I must take vengeance!" Rather, she just got sick and tired of seeing obviously guilty people walk, and so she decided to take matters into her own hands. And in a world like DC's, could you really blame a prosecutor for becoming disenchanted with the system?

On that note, it's actually a plus in my book that the line that other heroes typically won't cross, Kate will. But unlike someone like The Punisher or Wolverine, I like that Manhunter doesn't just kill willy-nilly, either. She kills only when she has no other option in protecting herself or others, or when she knows the party in question is absolutely guilty of heinous, unforgivable crimes. I personally find myself much more empathetic to such a creed, as opposed to someone like Batman's.

Anyway, she's great, and I can't wait until she reappears in the new DC Universe. I loved her last story arc, too, "Face Off," which appeared in the pages of Gotham City Sirens. I wish DC would have collected that one; it was bar far my favorite Manhunter storyline since "Street Justice," but I didn't even get to read it until about a year ago, as I couldn't pick up the individual issues on the cheap until then (I wasn't about to pay $4 a month for a back-up, even if it was Kate's, unfortunately).

I love Manhunter and I loved her series as well. She was a great character and it was such an amazing comic book frim beginning to end :up:

I loved how Andreyko wrote her in the series and I loved the supporting cast too. It was probably one of my top five dc comic books ever :hrt:

She's okay, I had more interest in her when it was thought she was related to Al Pratt.

She was just related to another Goldenage character.

She was just related to another Goldenage character.

Iron Munro was not a real Golden Age character, although her mother, Phantom Lady, was. But the original Atom is one of my favorite JSAers.

But she's still all right. My favorite version of Manhunter is either the Simon and Kirby version or the Goodwin/Simonson version from Detective Comics in the mid-70's.

Manhunter herself isn't really a phenomenal character or anything to me. I don't necessarily miss her now that she's basically off the map (I'm assuming; I don't know if she's showed up in New 52 comics I'm not reading). But Andreyko did some excellent stuff with her. Her series was a pleasure to read just about every issue.

this
I love her personality, her career, her (slightly dysfunctional) family, and her supporting cast, particularly Dylan Battles.
that dude was cool as hell!. and this
I like that Manhunter doesn't just kill willy-nilly, either. She kills only when she has no other option in protecting herself or others, or when she knows the party in question is absolutely guilty of heinous, unforgivable crimes. I personally find myself much more empathetic to such a creed, as opposed to someone like Batman's.
hunter was cool i even dug the dude that came before her with the cape and mask. that they "hunt the worlds most dangerous game" waswhat got to look at it and kate was cool she gets a 5 on the rocktor scale

They did a pretty bad job of showing that initially, when she kills Copperhead like right away. I dropped the series for a little while after that. But then I came to understand and appreciate Andreyko's portrayal of her as someone who believes in giving the legal system a chance but will take matters into her own hands if she believes it's failed.

Yep which makes her more interesting than those characters who will just kill whenever they feel like it

Well, that's it for Kate Spencer. (Did not remember her real name. :o)

A book that proved just because it's good, doesn't mean anybody will buy it. :o
scaledphpserver50filenamemanhunterv3001qv6.jpg

Rip Hunter

Rip_Hunter_JSA_66.jpg

I really was enjoying the Rip Hunter character in the Booster Gold series. Jurgens was really going into a lot of interesting territory and then Flashpoint and the New 52 happened and it's all meaningless. :csad:

Well, that's it for Kate Spencer. (Did not remember her real name. :o)

A book that proved just because it's good, doesn't mean anybody will buy it. :o
scaledphpserver50filenamemanhunterv3001qv6.jpg

Too soon 'Nubsy

Still too soon :csad:

Rip Hunter

Rip_Hunter_JSA_66.jpg

Rip Hunter was a pretty cool character in some of the Booster Gold stories I read :up:

I think I read maybe 3 things with dude in it didn't he have a dog? I like the dog but other than that I gots no op!

He's a cool character, again, he is one of those characters that is best suited to plot-heavy stories written by polymaths like Gardner Fox, not modern soap opera stories written by people like Dick Donner's slobbering intern Geoff "Mortal Kombat" Johns.

Well, that's it for the Time Master.

TIme-Masters-01.jpg

Mera

tumblr_l46ev0Ggup1qzxbido1_500.jpg

Great character, and a good example of a character that does flourish in today's soap opera type comics.

I loves Mera :up:

She's a bad ass lady and I love the character design as well :hrt: She is definitely one of my favourite heroines :)

Mera cool. She's a 2 on the rocktor. Scale.Though I didn't the dig flipper feet she use to have and when she went bat $%^% crazy a couple of times! But she a good girl an unlike marvel's women don't split at the drop of a hat( man those chicks have issues! Of course so the guys that's why they are marvels in the 1st place hehe) she stays with aruthuro which makes her a good girl... and good girls are cool!

Well, that's it for Mera.

Reason #567 why Mera rules. She's always in the mood. :up: :awesome: :up:
dcnu-aquaman-mera-large.jpg

Prince Charming

Fables_20.jpg

Grade-A dick who got to screw everyone a final time by dying too heroically to really hate posthumously.

hey i didnt know we could say the" d "word ! cool!! Like Corpy said. I totally agree. with his Harvard, conservative, silver spoon never worked a hard days job, clean cut, but secretly has all these shenanigans going on, billionaire ,just won the rep debate...oops went off on a tangent! hehe he SUCKSSS! Grade A *****e bag!

Oh yeah, a complete dick for sure. Great character, though...

Hmm, not much interest.

I liked Prince Charming. Great character. He's a *****e with a heart of gold. Really. He is. It's not his fault he's built to hunt. Literally. He couldn't be faithful if he tried. Complex character.

Prince_Charming_Fables_002.jpg

Superboy Prime
INFINITE_CRISIS_6_3.jpg

He's okay. I think I belong to the teensy-tiny percentage of Comic fans who don't mind the reality punch and some interesting stuff's been done with him since (e.g. his cool Meta-tastic Blackest Night story in Adventure Comics or his role in Sinestro Corps War)
BUT!
I've never exactly found myself in a situation were I've put a book down and said "Y'know what this story needs? Like, really needs? Some Superboy Prime!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"