• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

State Your Opinion on a Marvel Character - Part 2

Does Ted Sallis do anything besides turn into the Man-Thing that one time and then never turn back? I feel like the answer is "no."
He made the serum that changed him to the mucus monster we're familiar with

He made the serum that changed him to the mucus monster we're familiar with

I don't think 'mucus' quite covers Man-thing in that department, it's more like big green jobbie sausages he has swinging from his nose area.

As for D'Spayre...he was the villan in one of the classic MTU's that Claremont and Byrne did before they worked on X-Men, and it's still one of my all time fav Spidey stories, and he's teamed up with Man-thing.

His power to bring utter despair and fear out of someone worked well with Spider-man as a character, as he has always been the kind of hero who bounces back through all kinds of personal emotional turmoil, instead of letting it get him right down in the dumps.

Any Spider-man fan who has not read that issue should definitely check it out, they should check out all of Claremont's run on MTU in the late 70s, one of Spidey's best runs.
the Red Sonja and 'Saturday Night Live' team ups are absent from the Essentials collection though, so you will have to track them down on e-bay. Well worth searching out.

I agree the MTUs doing the 70's was some of the best, and i have both the 2 you mentioned Bum! That SNL book is quite possibly one of the greatest comics ever produced( for me anyways:cwink:). i highly doubt we will ever see the likes of that one ever again. The "not ready for prime time" players+ spidey against the silver samurai! most excellent!

I agree the MTUs doing the 70's was some of the best, and i have both the 2 you mentioned Bum! That SNL book is quite possibly one of the greatest comics ever produced( for me anyways:cwink:). i highly doubt we will ever see the likes of that one ever again. The "not ready for prime time" players+ spidey against the silver samurai! most excellent!

Aye, I still have my copy from when I was wee, I would only have been about 5 or something when I got it. That issue really baffled me at the time, because Stan Lee was a guest on the show, and I was wondering how the hell the creator of Spider-man could be in the same story, haha.

Also, I had no idea who any of the actors were, as I am from the UK, so I wasn't until years later that I appreciated the issue completely, it's a real shame they can't get the rights to reprint it.

Marvel should always have a book like Team Up or Presents as a forum for lesser used characters.

I was a die hard marvel presents fan, although i died for awhile when it was a defacto Wolverine book.

Loved the fun of the old and new team up.

Just let it sell bad and keep it. So what if it sells 15k.....you need the forum for development.

Aye, I still have my copy from when I was wee, I would only have been about 5 or something when I got it. That issue really baffled me at the time, because Stan Lee was a guest on the show, and I was wondering how the hell the creator of Spider-man could be in the same story, haha.

Also, I had no idea who any of the actors were, as I am from the UK, so I wasn't until years later that I appreciated the issue completely, it's a real shame they can't get the rights to reprint it.
hahahaha! yeah and what made it cool was that Pete and MJ went to a taping of the show and thats how spidey happen to be there in the audience. That's what made comics seem "real" to me.They incorporated things that you already knew existed and also a little bit of tongue in cheek. i highly doubt joe quesada would make a book like that in this "grimmy dark" time. Marvel T-up will ever be the &^^% cause the did stuff like this. when Superman visited the Daily Bugle, when Spidey team up with Red Sonja. looong before the 2 companies came to an agreement to mish mash their characters.

MT79ClarkKent.jpg

l loved it!!

I like em both.

Ares a bit more. He appeals to my manly man's man, ass kicker, big baller, shot caller sensibilities. He's a walking War Movie.

Athena on the other hand is cool, calm, collected, and can be a real b***h if you should find yourself on the opposite side of her. She's Final Fantasy Tactics. :o

Last edited:
hahahaha! yeah and what made it cool was that Pete and MJ went to a taping of the show and thats how spidey happen to be there in the audience. That's what made comics seem "real" to me.They incorporated things that you already knew existed and also a little bit of tongue in cheek. i highly doubt joe quesada would make a book like that in this "grimmy dark" time. Marvel T-up will ever be the &^^% cause the did stuff like this. when Superman visited the Daily Bugle, when Spidey team up with Red Sonja. looong before the 2 companies came to an agreement to mish mash their characters.

MT79ClarkKent.jpg

l loved it!!
Oh yeah, Clark is next in my list
Lois as well

"The chain of command. Rules of engagement. This Geneva Convention thing. Medical evac. Supply lines. The white flag. The Red Cross. Worrying about evacuees and refugees. Taking prisoners. Losing the battle but winning the war. Cursed diplomats. The proper standard of grooming. Sensible things like having enough bullets before you go into battle. That's the dung my sister cares about. I'm the other god of war."
- Ares, Dark Avengers: Ares

Yet somehow Athena's actually the more ruthless bastard of the two. Either way, though, they're both awesome.

Yeah, Ares would wipe your army out to the last man.

Athena would put their heads on a pike to line the roads leading in to the city as a warning.

"The chain of command. Rules of engagement. This Geneva Convention thing. Medical evac. Supply lines. The white flag. The Red Cross. Worrying about evacuees and refugees. Taking prisoners. Losing the battle but winning the war. Cursed diplomats. The proper standard of grooming. Sensible things like having enough bullets before you go into battle. That's the dung my sister cares about. I'm the other god of war."
- Ares, Dark Avengers: Ares

Yet somehow Athena's actually the more ruthless bastard of the two. Either way, though, they're both awesome.
Blessed are the rulemakers, for they know best how to exploit all of the loopholes in the most despicably ruthless fashion...

Athena is more civilized and honorable, but that doesn't mean she's any nicer. Ares would slaughter an entire army, Athena would concoct an elaborate plan where in the end her enemies would wish she'd just killed them all.

Poison their water supply. Then give em diseased blankets as a sign of good faith.

Poison their water supply. Then give em diseased blankets as a sign of good faith.
I believe that's also Joey Q's plan for beating back the growing competition from Image...

I always saw Ares as the general who leads his soldiers into battle and Athena as the general who works in military intelligence.

Either way, I love them both.

Oh yeah, Clark is next in my list
Lois as well
:huh: huh ?( drops bread crumbs in forest). cause i am so lost!!!:woot:

They are the freaking God/Goddess of war and wisdom! They rock! Plus i loved that little gold owl that she gave Harry Hamlin to fight the kraken!

that's just wrong!! *&^%(* Pilgrims!!

Like all the characters listed from D'Spayre on, Ares in particular.

Love team-up books and I think there should be more of them. MTU and MTIO are books that should have never been cancelled. Same for DCCP and B&B.

I always saw Ares as the general who leads his soldiers into battle and Athena as the general who works in military intelligence.

Either way, I love them both.
Ares would never make it to the rank of general. He'd be too busy disobeying orders to kill whoever he wanted. Ares represents the raw, savage bloodlust of killing your enemy in war. Athena's all the other stuff that makes a war what we actually think of as war--tactics, treaties, supply lines, etc. Ares is mainly just death on the battlefield by whatever means are readily available.

Ares would be the leader of an army, but only a Barbarian horde where the title of leader went to whoever brutally murdered everyone else who wanted to be leader.

That's fair. I feel like he'd get booted out of any modern army for going out of his way to murder a few civilians along with his targets and calling it collateral damage. Governments'll only buy that 4, maybe 6 times at most.

That's fair. I feel like he'd get booted out of any modern army for going out of his way to murder a few civilians along with his targets and calling it collateral damage. Governments'll only buy that 4, maybe 6 times at most.

Even then, they'd probably just fire him. Only one of the dozen or so US soldiers who participated in the Mai Ly massacre served any jail time.

Bet it was the black guy. :(

No, actually, a white guy. But he was the unit leader and the whole "kill an entire village full of civilians just because" thing was his idea. If you're gonna put somebody in jail it's probably gonna be him.

But you are right, it usually is the black guy.

'Cause it turns out America's still pretty racist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"