SteveDeKnight

Is he kidding? Is he throwing a bone to the Chlark fans? Or is he just being cruel? It seems like a weird thing to throw in there.
Rene, I think it was more of a bone. I actually think that entire post by Deknight had a slightly annoyed edge.

Like this:
Q: DeKnight, do you guys have anything great in store for Chloe after "Progeny"?

A: WELL, THERE IS THAT MYSTERIOUS METEOR FREAK POWER I SUPPOSE WE'LL HAVE TO EXPLAIN...

It's almost like he's saying, ''well, uh...hello? We just revealed Chloe's a meteor freak, how can you not think stories are going to come from this?!'' Lol.

And then a little later on in the blog, someone asked if his caps lock was broken, and he replied, ''no, sometimes I like to yell.' He was totally kidding, I'm sure, but I cant help but feel that he even joked about it, so as to express this annoyance almost, at these regular and frequent complaints by certain fans, that things aren't going great for their favourite (usually female) character and that supposedly everything is going great for the other characters. I find it especially odd of Chloe fans, in general, to complain of this. She's had a major role in this season's 'Wither', 'Hydro' and 'Justice.' And an ep devoted to a great extent to her character's storyline in 'Freak.' And another major upcoming ep in 'Progeny' with a huge guest star to play against. I guess I dont see the reason for complaint, personally speaking. Maybe it's just me.

They need to tone DOWN Chloe's role, not add more.:csad:

Put Lois in Chloe's position and make Lana the confidant and they characters will be in the right places.:yay:

They need to tone DOWN Chloe's role, not add more.:csad:

Put Lois in Chloe's position and make Lana the confidant and they characters will be in the right places.:yay:

LOL! That's what makes the Chloe fans scream so loud.

'Cause you know, she's the one that has worked so very, very hard to be where she is, she's the only one that has been a true friend to Clark, even though he trods all over her. Lana doesnt deserve to be her friend because Lana's just a selfish beeyatch. Lois gets everything handed to her on a platter, she doesnt work for anything.

So Chloe is the only one that deserves to be seen as truly wonderful and get all the great stories and she should be the one to take her place by Clark's side in this story, even though Clark doesnt deserve her.

:whatever: :cwink:

They should have killed off Chloe ages ago or at least had her turn evil way back in Season 2 or 3.

LOL! That's what makes the Chloe fans scream so loud.

'Cause you know, she's the one that has worked so very, very hard to be where she is, she's the only one that has been a true friend to Clark, even though he trods all over her. Lana doesnt deserve to be her friend because Lana's just a selfish beeyatch. Lois gets everything handed to her on a platter, she doesnt work for anything.

So Chloe is the only one that deserves to be seen as truly wonderful and get all the great stories and she should be the one to take her place by Clark's side in this story, even though Clark doesnt deserve her.

:whatever: :cwink:

I know you are joking, but man...this thought is like you channeled some of K-site and some of Neal Bailey all into one mega thought.:wow:

Seriously though, I love Chloe in the show....but her importance to Clark needs to start diminishing so that the characters that matter more in his future can start to come to the forefront. I really think they need to move Chloe into a watchtower type position for the JLA...for some reason her doing that in "Justice" just seemed to fit her character.

They should have killed off Chloe ages ago or at least had her turn evil way back in Season 2 or 3.

I would have agreed with you in season three, but I truly do enjoy her on the show....she just needs to be toned down.

I knew you would.:cwink: :word:

jesus, you guys were up early.

I know you are joking, but man...this thought is like you channeled some of K-site and some of Neal Bailey all into one mega thought.:wow:

Seriously though, I love Chloe in the show....but her importance to Clark needs to start diminishing so that the characters that matter more in his future can start to come to the forefront. I really think they need to move Chloe into a watchtower type position for the JLA...for some reason her doing that in "Justice" just seemed to fit her character.

I enjoy Chloe ALOT as well. I think she's funny without being snarky, she's genuine and loyal, but I really think its her fans that bug me the most.

There were a couple of posts over at DeKnight's Blog which summed things up pretty well in my book.

Jordan said:
[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]I'm lost. Why is anyone saying the Inquisitor hasn't been bashed since Lois started working there? When Lois's article appeared in Sneeze with the altered headline about an alien invasion, Clark said, "Well, let's hear it for journalistic integrity."[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]In Arrow Oliver said, "Well, you know it's a good thing the Inquisitor doesn't pride itself on integrity."[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]In Rage Oliver told Clark he shouldn't believe what he reads in the paper when Clark mentioned the story about Green Arrow being shot and bleeding. Clark said, "It's the Daily Planet, not the Inquisitor." The implication being the Inquisitor might make up a story, but the Planet wouldn't. [/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]In Hydro Chloe confronts Linda Lake saying, "You're going to stake your reputation on this tabloid garbage that's not even fit for the Inquisitor?" [/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]ALL of these references to the Inquisitor's low reputation have been made since Lois started working there and now we know it will take yet another slam in Prototype. So I'm at a loss why anyone would think the show has been saying the Inquisitor is a reputable paper since Lois started working there because clearly the Inquisitor has been bashed more this season than all other seasons combined. But here's a surprise, I've really enjoyed Lois working for a tabloid. She had to start somewhere and the Planet was out and so a tabloid makes sense. I thought it was brilliant giving Lois a venue a lot less prestigious than the Daily Planet to learn the ropes. Besides I'd prefer her working at the Planet when Perry White is in charge. And speaking of Perry White, he worked for a tabloid for a while, so it gives him an entertaining connection to Lois. [/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]Now as to Chloe being neglected, I'm at a loss again. She's part of the big 33.1 story, she got to work with the Justice League and knows the secret identity of all the heroes. She has a boyfriend who loves her, but for some reason Jimmy Olsen isn't good enough, Chloe has to have Clark, or a hero of equal or greater value
amused.gif
Why is it that every time a guy and girl have a great friendship, someone wants to turn it into a romance? I'm sorry, but Lana is about to marry the villain and Lois's hero-boyfriend left her and didn't tell her his secret, so how is Chloe being viewed as low girl on the totem pole here?
[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]As far as I can see Chloe has the most enviable role. She's certainly not ragged on for working at the great Daily Planet and she's had front page stories. She's helping Clark chase down the Zoners. She knows about Zod, Brainiac, everything. And it seems the specter of insanity won't hang over her anymore when Progeny airs and her mother is being played by Lynda Carter! She was the hero in Wither, saving the lives of both Clark and Jimmy. She had a great and intense role in Freak. It would seem to me Chloe has had a stellar season, especially compared to Lana who has been with the villain all season, or even Lois who "loved and lost" this season. I'm definitely not getting a "Chloe has been pushed aside" vibe at all. [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]I look forward to Prototype, but I'm sorry it's your last, Steven. All the best.[/FONT]

and this post, I just really love for the honesty.

Blackmamba said:
The journalism bug only recently bit Lois. Why is it so terrible for her to make some mistakes before getting it together? If she was an awesome, kick-ass, search and destroy reporter from the outset, would you not then be complaining about how unrealistic it is that she didn't earn it and she's stealing traits that rightfully belong to Chloe? It seems to me that what you're really saying is that no female character other than Chloe should come within a country mile of the reporter world.

I'm not really aiming these comments at you personally, because this is a trend I've seen intensify among many posters recently. It seems to me that there are viewers out there who really aren't going to be happy no matter what the show chooses to do with the characters these viewers don't like. If Lois stumbles a few times before getting it together, she's lazy. If it happens for her quickly it's a lightswitch that she didn't earn. If Lana doesn't accept Clark immediately she's an ungrateful *****. If she does accept it's bogus because it's out of character and she didn't earn it. If they do spend time making her earn it, it's even worse because then it's Lanaville and their wasting time on a story that "nobody" wants to see. If Chloe is successful it's unfair because they're making her Super!Chloe. If Chloe stumbles in any way she's a crazy ***** who was destined to betray Clark.

Some shippers aren't going to be happy no matter what the writers do with the female characters that ship doesn't like. Lois is stealing what rightfully belongs to Chloe. Chloe is stealing what rightfull belongs to Lois. Lana is stealing what rightfully belongs to Lois.

Does it ever occur to anyone that character traits don't have to belong exclusively to one character or another? That they could all three share a stellar trait and none of them would be diminished for it? There can be three women who know and protect Clark's secret. There can be two reporters.

"With all the changes in story this season, it seems to be up in the air at this point,"

I remember the post DeKnight made a while back saying that the direction of things had changed for the end of the season. I've noticed this caused a lot of concern among viewers. What I don't remember, and I'm not being sarcastic, is when it was stated that these changes would be for the worse. Did DeKnight say this? I could very well be forgetting. I just don't recall there being anything said one way or another that these changes would be good or bad for any particular character. If he did say this, my bad. Could someone fill me in, I'd like to know what I missed. If he didn't, why are people jumping to the conclusion that these changes will be for the worse?

"I realize my opinions may be different than most, but it just happens to be the way I view the show."

Yes, I feel for you. You're definitely being persecuted. Tough time, eh?
amused.gif

^Really good posts, avid. Thanks for posting them. I haven't been going over there lately because I always get WAY TOO ANNOYED with the regulars there. But I do always find blackmamba's comments thoughtful and insightful. Jordan, I tend to not agree with very often, but I do really like what he had to say in that one.

blackmamba made a wonderful post not too long ago analyzing how the Clark/Lana/Lex triangle, particularly Lana's end of it, hasn't taken away from the Clark/Lex dynamic at all, rather, it's enhanced it. Which is exactly how I feel (but could never have expressed it so well!). I reposted it in my LJ, I liked it so much.

^Really good posts, avid. Thanks for posting them. I haven't been going over there lately because I always get WAY TOO ANNOYED with the regulars there. But I do always find blackmamba's comments thoughtful and insightful. Jordan, I tend to not agree with very often, but I do really like what he had to say in that one.

blackmamba made a wonderful post not too long ago analyzing how the Clark/Lana/Lex triangle, particularly Lana's end of it, hasn't taken away from the Clark/Lex dynamic at all, rather, it's enhanced it. Which is exactly how I feel (but could never have expressed it so well!). I reposted it in my LJ, I liked it so much.

I remember that. Let me go see if I can find it, and repost it here. I thought it was very analytical as well and it really showed that the Smallville writers do know how to write a good story, despite what some fans think.

I read those posts at the blog, that you reposted, Sue. Thank god for some voice of reason. It can get all too crazy there, a little too often. :(

Here's that other post by Blackmamba, which I think is a very interesting read.

For as much as I think they've done a crap job with all three girls in terms of objectification - reducing them to how they look and who they date - I can appreciate where they've managed to take Lana and Chloe. The journey has been a mess, but the destination brings a reasonable amount of credit to them both.

Chloe discovered enough about Clark to essentially compell him to tell her the rest and she rose to the occassion and embraced his differences, protecting him rather than exploiting him.

Now Lana is closing in on the truth and although she doesn't know the whole story it seems she knows enough to be a serious threat to Clark if she chose to be. Instead, she seems to have chosen to trust her gut, put her faith in the man she believes Clark to be, not the man he has occassionally appeared to be. It would be easy for her to exploit her own rage, to seek to hurt Clark as he hurt her. It's ironic that she's been using some of the tricks she picked up from Lex in her defense of Clark. It's kinda like taking Lex's game and using it against him.

There has been talk that the Clark/Lana/Lex story was manufactured to make Lana more interesting, that it only serves Lana and drags Lex and Clark down in the process. I disagree. To my eye Lana is the one who has been jerked around the most, morphing personalities in order to serve the need of the moment - getting Lex or Clark from point A to point B. In it's own, haphazard way, it has made Lana more interesting, but I don't think that's because the story was designed for her, it seems to more of a happy accident. Just because one character appears to benefit more than another doesn't mean the story was meant specifically for the benefitting character.

And as I've said before, in spite of my misgivings about making Lana a prize, I actually think this triangle has served all three characters in an interesting way. Lex's true evil is highlighted by the manner in which he is able to compartmentalize the schmoop and the poop, if you will.

Clark's devotion to justice is highlighted by the manner in which he has refused to give up on Lana and sacrifice her to the dark side. I've always believed that what sets Superman apart is his ability to serve without passion or prejudice. He doesn't judge whether a person is worthy of help, it's simply a matter of if it is needed, it is provided. Clark hasn't quite graduated to this level, he is still swayed by his passions and prejudices, but he is at the point where he recognizes that sometimes doing the right thing hurts. It would have been easy to let Lana goes, but Clark expects more than that. He doesn't want to sacrifice anyone in the battle of good versus evil.

Lana's strength and ability to stand on her own to feet is highlighted by the manner in which she has been working on the sly against Lex. It's interesting, this girl who fears being alone is basically taking the one action that could ultimately ensure that she ends up alone. Right now Lana is a prize for Lex to hold over Clark, but at some point, if the betrayal is palpable enough, Lex will turn against Lana and she'll lose him. The cynic (or Lana hater) might argue that Lana is just trying to upgrade from her backup, Lex to her preference, Clark. But I don't believe that to be the case because there really are no guarantees. Lana assures herself nothing by protecting Clark. Like Chloe, Lana seems driven by what is right, not what is convenient. Props to the writers for giving that to both girls.

And last, I still believe that the Clark/Lana/Lex triangle is a great mechanism for exploring good versus evil, for demonstrating the choices humanity faces in day to day life. There's something seductive about what Lex offers the world. It's easy to see humanity being swayed by his rhetoric, believing in the supposed safety offered by his ends justifies the means mentality. And yet there is Clark, offering something that isn't sexy nor easy. In it's own way it's risky and dangerous because it requires putting personal benefits on the backburner in favor of the greater good.

Clark shows his goodness, Lex shows his evilness and Lana, a representation of humanity, shows her strength. All three characters are advanced. Good stuff, imo.

Here's that other post by Blackmamba, which I think is a very interesting read.

Sharp fellow right there. :up:

A bit off-topic, but I'm pretty sure SV hasn't had the green crystal yet ala STM, right? I forget if it was there in the 2nd or 3rd season with the ship and Swann and all that...

Anywho, just got me thinking, maybe that's what he gets when he eventually goes off to his training with Jor-El.

After that, PA-POW!!

Supes_Byrne2.jpg

A bit off-topic, but I'm pretty sure SV hasn't had the green crystal yet ala STM, right? I forget if it was there in the 2nd or 3rd season with the ship and Swann and all that...

Anywho, just got me thinking, maybe that's what he gets when he eventually goes off to his training with Jor-El.

After that, PA-POW!!

Supes_Byrne2.jpg

No, the green crystal hasn't appeared on the show. Up until the start of the fifth season, they never had any intention of using the crystal technology from the films. That's why most of the Kryptonian stuff that was shown previously were more mechanical in nature, like Clark's ship and it's key.

Personally, I think the three stones from Season 4, were SV's version of the green father crystal from STM.

Personally, I think the three stones from Season 4, were SV's version of the green father crystal from STM.

Yeah, to form the FOS, but I can still foresee them using the green one for the big moment.

They've certainly used a buttload of crystals though anyways, eh?

Yeah, to form the FOS, but I can still foresee them using the green one for the big moment.

It's possible. It will be interesting to see how they handle Clark's training with Jor-El and what exactly it will entail.

Here's hoping for a long awaited Terence Stamp cameo.

It's possible. It will be interesting to see how they handle Clark's training with Jor-El and what exactly it will entail.

Here's hoping for a long awaited Terence Stamp cameo.

Here here. :up:

No, the green crystal hasn't appeared on the show. Up until the start of the fifth season, they never had any intention of using the crystal technology from the films. That's why most of the Kryptonian stuff that was shown previously were more mechanical in nature, like Clark's ship and it's key.

I miss the original Krypto-tech! :(

I know not all of you visit DeKnight's blog for one reason or another, but this woman continues to impress me with her posts, she's so insightful and unbiased, I just enjoy reading her words. Thought I would share. :yay:

Blackmamba said:
I've never understood the "it's all about Lana" argument. Over the course of six seasons, with an ensemble cast and for the sake of creative viability, I think you're going to have to shift the focus around. It's not going to be all Clark Kent all the time. And personally, while Clark is my favorite character, I'm fine with that. The stories about the people who influence Clark are also, imo, important. The Clark/Lana/Lex story is not, imo, driven by Lana Lang. It's driven by good versus evil which is to say it is driven by Clark versus Lex.

And to that end, I actually agree with Miles Millar, the show does, imo, always focus on Clark. Maybe not directly, but in the end, every story says something about Clark. Oliver may have had a lot of screen time, but ultimately he was a tool used to say something about Clark. Clark doesn't have to be on screen all the time for his presence to be felt. Sometimes, I think, his absence is actually more valuable. In the end Oliver was a catalyst for Clark. He got Clark to think and act bigger, but Clark was nobodies fool. He didn't follow Ollie blindly. He didn't sell out his own values/beliefs. He took what he found useful in the differences between himself and Oliver and added those things to the man he already knows himself to be.

I don't see Lana as The Protagonist in the the Clark/Lana/Lex story because the story isn't really about her, it's about the battle between good and evil and the toll it takes on humanity. Lana, like Oliver, is a tool that is used to say something about Clark and Lex. They both "love" the same girl, yet their approaches are vastly different. It's part of the humanity metaphor.

It's not the journey of Lana Lang because it isn't really a story about a single character, she's a representation of humanity as a whole. Is Death of a Salesman really about one man? No, Willy Loman is a representation, an everyman. If you want to show good versus evil, particularly on a tv show with a budget, I think you're going to have to break it down. They aren't going to show Lex trying to seduce the entire world over to the dark side, the scope is too big. And frankly, I don't think evil makes a sweeping claim on humanity anyway. It's more viral, insideous, like flesh eating bacteria.

Evil, to me, attacks vulnerability. It separates the weakest animals from the flock and continues to do so until there is nothing left. In that sense, Lana is a turning point in the battle. If Lex is able to turn Lana, his evil takes root and starts to spread. Clark Kent doesn't want to lose a single person in this battle so of course he's going to fight on. If he turns his back on Lana, he's turning his back on humanity, he's allowing evil to get that entry point it craves. Good versus evil is a bit of a turf war so of course there's going to be something in the middle being fought over. But the middle isn't what drives the story, it's the opposing world views that push things forward or drag things backward.

In my previous post I told the story from Lana's perspective because I was trying to make a point about Lana. But you could describe this story from the perspective of good (Clark) or evil (Lex). That's part of what makes this one of the better stories Smallville has told - all three leads have a valuable perspective and play a critical role in the story. To me, none of the three of them have been as interesting as they are right now since Seasons 1 and 2, but back then the show was operating on a somewhat different premise because all the characters were more innocent/naive.

One of the interesting aspects of Clark's role in the Clark/Lana/Lex triangle is that the powers he relies on are useless to him. All the heat vision, super strength, super speed, etc can't help Clark prevent Lana from making a mess of her life. There is a fine line in telling the Superman story, where if Superman is invulnerable, you run the risk of the audience being unable to relate to him, losing empathy for him and ultimately losing interest in him. He isn't physically vulnerable, he's emotionally vulnerable. In telling this story with Lana they are able to demonstrate Clark's human side, the influence of his heart and his compassion. It gets him in some trouble, it also makes him a bit more real. But most importantly, I think it shows that there is more to being a hero than having powers. All the powers in the world don't make Clark a hero. It's the heart, the compassion, the integrity, the humility, the commitment to the greater good. Without these things, Clark would basically be Lex.

You mention wanting Clark to represent humanity, but I think that would be a mistake. IMO, that's too common for Superman. Clark has his vulnerable human side, but ultimately Superman should represent something bigger. He's not humanity, he's something for humanity to strive for.

I know not all of you visit DeKnight's blog for one reason or another, but this woman continues to impress me with her posts, she's so insightful and unbiased, I just enjoy reading her words. Thought I would share. :yay:

I agree with her 110%.

She said what I meant about Oliver's story not taking away from Clark's...

:up:

Good stuff.

Did she call Ollie a tool? :eek: :p

I think Blackmamba talks more about what she'd like to see than what's actually on the show.

I think Blackmamba talks more about what she'd like to see than what's actually on the show.

I saw your posts over there, and while I think you have a point to some extent, that is Lana flipping around to suit the plot, I do think her points about Lana being the metaphor to illustrate the difference between Clark and Lex are spot on.

I saw your posts over there, and while I think you have a point to some extent, that is Lana flipping around to suit the plot, I do think her points about Lana being the metaphor to illustrate the difference between Clark and Lex are spot on.

Sorry but I do think the differences between Clark and Lex were already quite clear long before Lana went to live with Lex.

And I insist that I don't see that Clark's own storyline has advanced thanks to the Lexana relationship, or benefited from it. At least so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"