SteveDeKnight

Sorry but I do think the differences between Clark and Lex were already quite clear long before Lana went to live with Lex.

Aside from the usual Lex experimenting on Freaks, and some questionable immoral attitudes, have we really seen Lex take a good person, manipulate them for his own needs and steer them towards his way of thinking.

We saw Clark give up his opportunity to be with the woman he loves, just so she could be happy and safe, having suffered greatly along the way. That's definiely a step in the right direction for Selfa Sacrifice for the good of the mankind.

We see Lex wanting the same girl, but prepared to side step morality and ethics in order to get what he wants. That is definitely a step in the right direction for the man who is to become Superman's greatest nemesis. Selfishness to fulfill his own needs.

All of this in my opinion definitely illustrates the differences between the way Clark and Lex view humanity and life.

The series could have gone on with Clark questioning Lex on his experiments and immoral acts, however it means much more to viewers when its someone that we have invested time in.

And I insist that I don't see that Clark's own storyline has advanced thanks to the Lexana relationship, or benefited from it. At least so far.

Well so far is the key word, but I think if Clark loses this battle with Lana then it certainly puts a damper on his future efforts in becoming the saviour of the world.

Aside from the usual Lex experimenting on Freaks, and some questionable immoral attitudes, have we really seen Lex take a good person, manipulate them for his own needs and steer them towards his way of thinking.

I think we have seen manipulative Lex countless times but, aside from that, I don't share the opinion that Lana was manipulated by Lex to go and live with him. Of course he "was there for her" after her break-up, but she went to live with him willingly and without the excuse of the pregnancy. It seems as if Lana were a child with no responsibility for her actions at all, a poor victim of Lex's bad influence, when she was an adult that chose to ignore the many advices about the dangers of getting involved with Lex, a man she's known for years.

We see Lex wanting the same girl, but prepared to side step morality and ethics in order to get what he wants. That is definitely a step in the right direction for the man who is to become Superman's greatest nemesis. Selfishness to fulfill his own needs.

Again I think we had seen Lex stepping morality and ethics many times before his involvement with Lana. "Cyborg" would be one of many examples.

All of this in my opinion definitely illustrates the differences between the way Clark and Lex view humanity and life.

The series could have gone on with Clark questioning Lex on his experiments and immoral acts, however it means much more to viewers when its someone that we have invested time in.

I'm ALL for the show illustrating the differences between Clark and Lex. That's one of the most interesting premises of the series. However, a, too often, badly handled soap opera may not be the best way to convey that interesting concept. There could be many other approaches. I personally dislike the idea of the Clark/Lex/Lana triangle but I agree that it COULD have been a good one IF it had been done properly which hasn't been the case, IMO.

Well so far is the key word, but I think if Clark loses this battle with Lana then it certainly puts a damper on his future efforts in becoming the saviour of the world.

Considering how this storyline has played in the show till now, I believe this is a battle Lana has to fight, not Clark.

MY opinion is that the writers and producers made a mess with the whole Lexana angle, wasting some valuable screen time that could have been put to better use, and hurting some of the characters in the process. I really hope they fix it with the new developments.

I think we have seen manipulative Lex countless times but, aside from that, I don't share the opinion that Lana was manipulated by Lex to go and live with him. Of course he "was there for her" after her break-up, but she went to live with him willingly and without the excuse of the pregnancy. It seems as if Lana were a child with no responsibility for her actions at all, a poor victim of Lex's bad influence, when she was an adult that chose to ignore the many advices about the dangers of getting involved with Lex, a man she's known for years.

Clark's line to Lex in Hydro summed up this whole situation perfectly, IMO.

There's also some heavy irony at the end of Hypnotic when Lex says to Lana that she just put her trust in the wrong man...

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=4&id=40856&type=0

Steven DeKnight, co-executive producer of The CW's Smallville, told SCI FI Wire that Lana Lang's (Kristin Kreuk) pregnancy will be the main focus of the series when it returns with original episodes, starting on April 19 with "Progeny," an episode that features former Wonder Woman star Lynda Carter. "That's going to come to a head," DeKnight said in an interview. "It won't be resolved, but twist and turns will be revealed. ... Definitely. The triangle [of Clark, Lex and Lana] will definitely become more pointed on all corners. Cross my fingers, the end of the season looks pretty damn exciting."

Meanwhile, Lois Lane (Erica Durance) will be featured in a big way in "Prototype," an episode DeKnight wrote. "She's always a delight to write for," he said. "I really like the way we've moved the Clark/Lois storyline along this year. You're starting to see glimmers of interest, even though neither one of them would ever admit it."

Also look for Clark Kent (Tom Welling) to face a new, formidable foe who may have some roots in the
Superman comic mythology. "Or Clark fights a dinosaur," DeKnight said with a laugh. "I'm not sure which yet."

DeKnight added that for Lex Luthor (Michael Rosenbaum), "an old venture comes to fruition in [a] catastrophic way. It's the culmination of years' worth of planning."

It all leads up to another big cliffhanger for the sixth season. "No cities are going to burn, but [the characters] will definitely be in trouble," DeKnight said.
Smallville airs on Thursday nights at 8 p.m. ET/PT. —Kathie Huddleston
spacer.gif

Steven DeKnight, co-executive producer of The CW's Smallville, told SCI FI Wire that Lana Lang's (Kristin Kreuk) pregnancy will be the main focus of the series when it returns with original episodes, starting on April 19 with "Progeny," an episode that features former Wonder Woman star Lynda Carter. "That's going to come to a head," DeKnight said in an interview. "It won't be resolved, but twist and turns will be revealed.
sadcat.jpg

^^^^^Well from what we know, I dont think its the pregnancy per se, but rather the effects that the pregnancy is going to have on the 3 leads. Character interaction is always the driving force of Smallville, no matter how it comes about.

I'm looking forward to seeing what measures Lana will go to in order to get her revenge, what kind of tales will Lex spin to justify his actions and how will Clark react when he finds out what Lex has done to his childhood sweetheart.

Bring it on... :up:

^^^^^Well from what we know, I dont think its the pregnancy per se, but rather the effects that the pregnancy is going to have on the 3 leads. Character interaction is always the driving force of Smallville, no matter how it comes about.
I just wish they wrote something better than a baby plot to have the characters be "driven" around. I'm all FOR conflict, but DeKnight basically says "it's all about Lana" in that first paragraph up there.

*facepalm*

I'm really tired of the non-baby arc. The story is forced, it's been dragged out far too long making it pretty boring (to me), and I have no pity for the characters involved. At least there was worldwide ramifications behind the quest for the stones culminating in the creation of the FOS. But this baby nonsense is just a clichéd plot device that abuses one character in order to build animosity between two others. So it's yet another brick in the wall adding to Clark and Lex's enmity. Is that the best they could come up with? Lets make the final straw be over a woman Clark chose to let go, one who chose to be with Lex, and a character who doesn't play a major role in either of their lives in the future anyway.

G&M high five.

Color me frustrated because I've been waiting for this freakin' baby plot to end all year, and it just. won't. go. away. :(

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=4&id=40856&type=0

Meanwhile, Lois Lane (Erica Durance) will be featured in a big way in "Prototype," an episode DeKnight wrote. "She's always a delight to write for," he said. "I really like the way we've moved the Clark/Lois storyline along this year. You're starting to see glimmers of interest, even though neither one of them would ever admit it."

Also look for Clark Kent (Tom Welling) to face a new, formidable foe who may have some roots in the [/I]Superman comic mythology. "Or Clark fights a dinosaur," DeKnight said with a laugh. "I'm not sure which yet."

DeKnight added that for Lex Luthor (Michael Rosenbaum), "an old venture comes to fruition in [a] catastrophic way. It's the culmination of years' worth of planning."

spacer.gif

Now this Sounds Interesting :cwink:

I just wish they wrote something better than a baby plot to have the characters be "driven" around.

Well I guess they always come up with lots of ideas, and they use the ones that they think will work best for the show. Some people are going to love it, and some people are going to hate it.

Mind you, I dont know of too many fans who have been 100% on board with this particular idea, although I personally do like seeing Lex take his power to a whole new level where he can destroy a person that he supposedly loves.

And its been interesting and ironic watching Lana with Lex, because she really could have loved him and been happy with him.

I havent been happy to watch Clark's reaction to it all so far, only because it seems to imply that he can never be happy. However, I will be interested to see how he reacts when he finds out what Lex has done.

I'm all FOR conflict, but DeKnight basically says "it's all about Lana" in that first paragraph up there.

That interview looks like its been edited to me and the magazine has chosen to use bits and pieces of what DeKnight said, rather than the whole thing.

I'm really tired of the non-baby arc. The story is forced, it's been dragged out far too long making it pretty boring (to me), and I have no pity for the characters involved.

Well I had no interest in Lex and Lana as a romantic couple but I was always intrigued as to how the characters would react within their given situations. I think we've gotten off pretty lightly with regards to the pregnancy, considering that a pregnancy goes for 9 months and within Smallville time we've only had it for about 4 months.

But this baby nonsense is just a clichéd plot device that abuses one character in order to build animosity between two others.

In my opinion, there was always going to be some dramatic storyline involved with Lana that would have her being abused by Lex. It was the only way to show her that Clark's constant refusal to be totally truthful with her was justified. They were never going to let her just find out the truth about him, and everything would be beautiful. Her character was too obsessed with truth and honesty for her to just shrug it off and all would be okay.

So it's yet another brick in the wall adding to Clark and Lex's enmity. Is that the best they could come up with? Lets make the final straw be over a woman Clark chose to let go, one who chose to be with Lex, and a character who doesn't play a major role in either of their lives in the future anyway.

I dont see it as just being about "Lana". Its more about the methods that Lex will use in order to get what he wants. And Lex already told Clark that Lana was a trophy for him. Clark would have been quite happy for Lana to settle down with a nice guy even Lex, if Lex wasnt the person that he already knows that he is.

Color me frustrated because I've been waiting for this freakin' baby plot to end all year, and it just. won't. go. away. :(

Its one of the season long arcs. I'm sure it will be gone by next season. :O

It certainly adds an extra wrinkle to the story of Lana running LexCorp, that is if they ever get back to that in the comics.

I just don't think some fans will be happy until Lana is stone cold dead. Any storyline even remotely related to her will be the cause of *****ing and moaning. I'm almost tempted to read the screams of outrage on TWOP and K-Site over this new spoiler, just for the entertainment value. ;)

*shrug* Everyone's allowed their own opinions. There are a few things that SV could do now that would make my hair stand on end, but for the most part, I've been pleased and entertained with this entire season. I certainly had my doubts with the whole Lexana relationship, but I find that I've actually enjoyed what it's brought out in the various characters.

I trust the show to continue keeping me interested for the rest of the season. I'm just a ridiculously loyal fan. :o

At the start of the season I was really dreading the whole Lexana storyline, but I must admit it has taken some nice twists and I do agree that it'll advance the 3 characters' stories in a forward-leaning direction.

I just don't think some fans will be happy until Lana is stone cold dead. Any storyline even remotely related to her will be the cause of *****ing and moaning. I'm almost tempted to read the screams of outrage on TWOP and K-Site over this new spoiler, just for the entertainment value. ;)

*shrug* Everyone's allowed their own opinions. There are a few things that SV could do now that would make my hair stand on end, but for the most part, I've been pleased and entertained with this entire season. I certainly had my doubts with the whole Lexana relationship, but I find that I've actually enjoyed what it's brought out in the various characters.

I trust the show to continue keeping me interested for the rest of the season. I'm just a ridiculously loyal fan. :o

Well DeKnight's Blog is an absolute disgrace. Chloe fans rile me up like no other. :cmad:

Ksite was unusually full of some insightful comments, and those that werent I could pick as being spill overs from TWOP where the Lana hate is in top form. :whatever:

The one thing I just can honestly never understand is, why Clark loving Lana will prevent him from becoming Superman.

The mentality seems to be that he has to be either normal human being Clark Kent, or Kryptonian hero driven Superman. Do they know nothing about this character? Even me, with my little knowledge of comic books, which has vastly increased by hanging out here at the Hype, knows that he wants to be both.

We all know how the story ends. He becomes Superman. Why cant we just watch it all unfold as to why and how, and stop hanging sh** on Clark because their favourite girl isnt with him romantically.

I just wish they wrote something better than a baby plot to have the characters be "driven" around. I'm all FOR conflict, but DeKnight basically says "it's all about Lana" in that first paragraph up there.

*facepalm*

I'm really tired of the non-baby arc. The story is forced, it's been dragged out far too long making it pretty boring (to me), and I have no pity for the characters involved. At least there was worldwide ramifications behind the quest for the stones culminating in the creation of the FOS. But this baby nonsense is just a clichéd plot device that abuses one character in order to build animosity between two others. So it's yet another brick in the wall adding to Clark and Lex's enmity. Is that the best they could come up with? Lets make the final straw be over a woman Clark chose to let go, one who chose to be with Lex, and a character who doesn't play a major role in either of their lives in the future anyway.

G&M high five.

I agree with you, Pat.

I respect that other people are enjoying it, of course, but I just can't stand Lexana and the baby storyline anymore. The witch storyline was stupid, IMO, but it led to something positive and had some fun episodes, like Spell. This one on the other hand... :cmad: :csad:

I'm also a ridiculously loyal fan and I wasn't too happy with the triangle and where I thought they were headed, but it's turned out very well IMO.

The character development has been terrific and Kristin has possibly turned in some of the best performances of her career lately...

:up:

I couldn't be happier with the show right now...

Well, that's not entirely true...

I *would* be happier if Clark was the sole focus of each and every episode....

:D :up:

....but that's not going to happen for various reasons, so I can't complain.

I couldn't be happier with the show right now...

Well, that's not entirely true...

I *would* be happier if Clark was the sole focus of each and every episode....

:D :up:

....but that's not going to happen for various reasons, so I can't complain.
LOL!

Right on! :up:

As to being a loyal fan, um... hello? I think even us loyal fans *cough* have a right to beyotch and moan from time to time. It's part of being a fan. Nobody here is threatening a boycott. ;)

Ok, wow, SDK's blog is pretty much being overrun right now some very angry people. Crazeee!

I loved what you posted there, Sue:

Dont know why I'm writing a reply, this blog cracks me up with its crazy fans. Although I have to point out something that I find highly amusing when reading these rants is that Clark is this BIG loser who is a jerk and does no favours by anyone, he's a totally immoral person, but poor Chloe for not getting this man that she so deserves.
Colour me confused.
drunk.gif

I had to write something too:

Wow, there is so much unnecessary vitriol in this blog right now, over one little interview. And so much unneeded hate being heaped upon these characters, Clark, Lois and Lana especially. It's really crazy, IMO. I especially cant stand all these hateful comments against Clark, mostly fuelled by shipper desires.

I have no problems with SDK's interview. And very little problems with the show itself actually. I dont think it's perfect, but I love it all the same. And I love these characters, albeit to varying degrees, and I cant wait to watch the rest of the season.

I think Steve spoke the truth in his interview. He commented a bit on the upcoming pregnancy storyline, which, whether we like it or not, has been a significant part of the season, and added a juicy hint about Bizarro. (I'm guessing!) And also mentioned meaty developments for Lex as well. And his last episode 'Prototype' is sounding great, with heavy Lois involvement. Aside from this, all he did was to share some personal insight into how he viewed the Clark and Lois relationship as it's progressed this season, and that is it.

IMO none of these comments call for the kind of hateful posts the blog has recently seen.

Ok, wow, SDK's blog is pretty much being overrun right now some very angry people. Crazeee!

I loved what you posted there, Sue:

Hee hee.

I've said more over there today, than I ever planned to, but I cant stand it from any fanbase when they get so agressive about a bunch of very well loved TV characters, just because the storyline isnt going the way they like and it mostly stems from the belief that they think their favourite female is being hard done by.

I had to write something too:

I saw that. You win the award for the most sane most of the day. :up:

Here's DeKnight's answer to all the hoo haa that's been occurring on his Blog today.

Poor bugger. :csad:

Good heavens. I leave the blog for a while to work on the house and this is what happens. Let me clarify a few key points that seem have slipped through the cracks of that Sci Fi interview.

1.) The rest of the season does NOT focus only on Lana and the baby. There will be major fallout from it, but come on. Seriously. Much more than that going on.

2.) Phantoms? Still interesting to me. That's all I'm saying.

3.) What the hell is that Lionel up too? Answers, dammit! Answers!

4.) And yo ho ho, what about sexy Lexy? Could he get any darker? Hell yes!

5.) The finale will not be about Clark, Lana, and a baby. I did that episode already, and it sucked. Like, kinda hard.

Collective deep breath. That little Sci Fi snippet was from a half hour interview. And I'm fairly certain the booze and drugs hadn't kicked in yet, so I'd like to think I was a little clearer in the full version.

But I stand by the dinosaur quote. Man, that'd be sweet!

PS:

And yes, something important happens with Chloe. And a lot going on with Clark that I can't even come close to talking about

I wasn't worried, but people take a little info and blow it so out of proportion that it little resembles what was really meant.

I'm glad he allayed everyone's fears.

Thanks, Avid!

I for one am glad SDK has tried to clarify things. :up:

I can't wait for next seasons episode..."LANA".:cwink: :woot:

Did DeKnight say which company he was doing his developmental or tv deal, whatever it's called?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"