SteveDeKnight

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by avidreader, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Serene Registered

That works for me too. I'm really not totally unreasonable. ;)

I also hope they always keep Martha a prominent person in his life.. his "touchstone" with his humanity, in a much different way than Lana is. Lana should also fill that type of role, but who knows how things are going to go with that friendship.

But Martha is his mother, and they have established such a beautiful mother/son relationship between the two of them - Memoria, in particular.. and (was it Krypto?) where they had that heart to heart talk watching the rain from the barn. I really dig on those scenes that reach way down into Clark's heart.

2. AgentPat Squeaky wheel

That was in Solitude. I remember because that scene came right after the SR teaser. The emotions inspired from the Clark/Martha scene made everything else pale in comparison. It was quite a beautiful exchange and was eclipsed only by the ending scenes in Vengeance, where Clark finally releases his grief over Jonathan's death in his mother's arms. [​IMG]

3. avidreader Registered

I wanna see that too, but not because I want to see Lana get hurt and I can then say *.....na na na na na....* but because I want her to see that she had this truly wonderfuly SUPER guy who chose to love HER and HER alone.

And unfortunately its because of her obsessivness of thinking that she is OWNED the truth that she has pushed him away, not to mention Lex helped with that pushing a little along the way.

I'd expect her to be hurt, but I also expect her to realise that Clark isnt your average every day guy and perhaps his motives were honourable. You cant tell me she didnt know he was lying when he said he didnt love her. She said as much to Lex.

Her attitude in Fade, made her come off sounding like she never appreciated Clark for anything that he has ever done for her and it just seemed to drive home the fact that she doesnt like Mr. Heroic Clark Kent, and that's probably why they never end up together.

Oh, I wanna see that too. Focus more on Clark and Lex, and I really want to see this Lexana out of the way and Lana learn about Clark's secret so that they can both get on with it and develop this lifelong friendship that they are supposed to have.

To be fair to Lois, I think TPTB have their hands a little tied at the moment with regards to her progression, but as soon as they are given the green light I can see her story going full steam ahead and I think this is a better way to use Chloe. Have her more involved with Lois's career.

That's a clear benefit of having Jonathan away from the screen, we get to see alot more of the mother/son relationship and it really is a beautiful one. I loved how he made her the cup of tea in Mercy, that was so sweet. :)

I didnt really need the tissue box this early in the morning, but thanks for those touching words. :(

4. Serene Registered

He did? Because last I saw, he chose not to love her, or at least not to be with her.. and from where she stands, is there a difference?

As far as her supposed knowing that he was lying to her - whether she knew or not.. does that make it better? So, even if she did suspect he was lying to her.. he's still breaking it off, in no uncertain terms. I'm not sure I would have wanted her to grovel at that point and beg him to stay with her because she suspected that he still loved her and was just breaking it off again for some reason. Enough is enough..

Me, I would have groveled..because, you know.. it's CLARK. ;)
    But *ideally* I don't think that would have been easy or very realistic to watch. Besides.. her anger was part of the setup for her turning so quickly to Lex for comfort.

:confused: She made it clear to him that she was willing to wait for the truth - she did not push him away.. quite the opposite.

FWIW, I think she IS owed the truth.. just as any woman who he claims to love enough to want to marry should be. His future with Lois will work because she WILL know the truth. Without that, the relationship would never be complete.

Damn.. I keep trying to avoid the Lana debates. They just bum me out.

I'm not going to have any threads left to post in soon. :( ;)

5. avidreader Registered

But he did love her and I'm sure he still does, and I think she knows that and I can also completely understand that she has had enough of the bull****.

I wouldnt want her to grovel either, that was what he was trying to avoid by breaking it off with her so uncermoniously. He did start a sentence by saying he didnt want to hurt her, but Lana has this habit of cutting him off whenever he tries to explain something to her.

Me too. ;):) And I think she'll realise that, but it'll be too late.

If you remember back to Arrival Lana asked Clark if he believed in life on other planets. He answered her honestly that he did and he even went to the crash site. Then by Hidden she was saying people look at you funny when you start talking about spaceship and aliens. I think she chose to believe that no one would take her seriously because of the way Lex treated her in Arrival.

Lana made the mistake of turning to Lex in Splinter. That's when Lana also started lying to Clark and when their relationship started to go south.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. It is interesting to watch, but I dont like to see people who love each other hurt each other. I have no doubt that they will come back stronger as a result.

Well I think she started to push him away before that. She pushed him for answers in Fanatic, which is when she should have been giving him time. She pushed him to the point that he had to tell her in Reckoning, and it was pretty clear at that time she wasnt ready for the truth. So he was right in not telling her.

By the time we get to Hypnotic he can see that by having her wait for him to be ready was never going to happen, because of what happened prior, that's why he let her go.

She is owed the truth up to a point. Its a pretty HUGE secret that he is carrying around with him and he HAS to be sure that whoever he shares it with is ready for the responsibility of it. As I said she showed us in Reckoning that she wasnt ready for the responsibility.

But he has the benefits in the future of just being able to be plain old Clark Kent. Now if Lois were to have a relationship with Superman things woud be completely different.

You shouldnt get bummed out, its just a discussion and I dont HATE Lana. You know that. But I will always look at things more clearly from Clark's point of view. What can I say, I'm a sucker for good looking guys with Super powers and a great body. :O :D

6. Serene Registered

I guess I can't help seeing it from both points of view.

But I even sympathize with Lex much of the time,.. so I guess I'm just a pushover.

7. Super_Ludacris Registered

Seems to me like you get it and hold no favourtism

that's why I love ya :)

8. Brainiac 8 Clark Smash!

Not only that but in most cases when Clark tries to explain himself, she folds her arms, huffs, and leaves the room before the conversation was finished.

I just don't think it is a good example to youngsters on how conversations are supposed to go between what are supposed to be two mature adults.

9. Super_Ludacris Registered

Which reminds me....

[email protected] dudes taking it more personally than Clark when Lana does that. It's like there vicarously living there failed marrianges and broken relationship through him that lead to them posting on the internet all day and reliving there 2nd childhood.

Not you, but certain other sites lol

10. Brainiac 8 Clark Smash!

Please Serene, don't stop posting.:(

I think what seperates some of us from other when it comes to debating, is that we can do it civily and without anger and resentment. I enjoy our discussions and never feel any ill against most of you. (You all know who you are.) I have a lot of respect for your and others opinions on this forum. The love of the show is what brings us together here.:up:

Plus, I don't hate Lana either. I always just think of how they portray certain conversational abilities on this show might effect a younger viewer.

If you stoped conversing, I'd miss ya.:O

11. Brainiac 8 Clark Smash!

Funny, your probably right.

I always think of the reprucussions when it comes to certain viewers of shows like this.

12. Super_Ludacris Registered

It's true, next time someone bashes Lana like that just randomly as an experiment say "Does she remind you of her" and if they get defensive, you know there punching the screen as they post.

13. Super_Ludacris Registered

...and why would anyone have reprecussions watching Smallville? Cant they handle things in real life on there own? Kids arent THAT impressonable

14. Brainiac 8 Clark Smash!

Take this from a father's viewpoint, since I have an impressionable little girl.

Children, and sometimes pre-teens and teenagers, and in some rare cases adults, do learn things from the television. Take for example a chile who starts to imitate a curse word he/she hears on the television. Or in some cases,(mostly children of parents who let the tv babysit their kid), children do learn some life lessons and or skills from what they watch.

My thought is when they show passive aggressive behavior as the way two adults are supposed to interact, they could carry this over in how they deal with other individuals when they are older. Don't say never, I have seen many cases of that sort of thing happening.

15. Super_Ludacris Registered

America is being lazy relying on the media to teach they kids. End of the day kids are gonna be more influenced by what's going on in there neighbourhood and household than what's on TV

16. AgentPat Squeaky wheel

Wanna bet? Kids are like photocopy machines. Even *I* know that, and I don't have kids. :p It's aye-freakin'-mazing what they can pick up and imitate.

17. Brainiac 8 Clark Smash!

I agree that parents need to be much more proactive with raising their children, and yes the majority of life skills are learned from their experiences/surroundings/people, but entertainment still shapes as well, it's just not as big of a influence as the other things.

BTW, I wasn't trying to say you don't know about kids, I don't know if you have any or not, so no offense SuperL.:up: :)

18. Super_Ludacris Registered

But Clark and Lana on Smallville? lol

19. Brainiac 8 Clark Smash!

Don't underestimate the power of television when it comes to youngsters minds, in any form.:o

20. Serene Registered

Aw, thanks, B8.
    I'm just feeling very, VERY square-peggish these days.. not just here, but in just about all the SV forums I frequent.

Perhaps I should start my own forum and be the only member.. :D

I'm not going to stop posting here.. I'd miss all you guys too much. I just need to learn to back off once in a while. I have a lot of RL stress (that I won't whine about here) but there are days when I think my fuse is just infinitesimally short.. and then I just sound like a raving bittch. :(
    This stuff is supposed to be my outlet for fun - not a platform to piss people off or to get pissed off.

I think that in general, you are correct, and TV can definitely have an influence on impressionable young minds. That said, I think to take the specific scene of Clark and Lana arguing in the loft is just another lesson in the imperfection and complications of relationships. Even Clark and Lana, two traditionally "good" guys (depending on who you're talking to, I guess. ;)), don't always do the right things.. don't always make the right choices. But living with the consequences of those choices is the real lesson.

My daughter and her friends that watch (and we're talking adolescent.. and completely INSANE.. girls) are beside themselves about all this Clark and Lana stuff. But they aren't Superman fans.. they are SV fans, exclusively.

It'll be interesting to see how many of the young SV fans, who know nothing about Superman mythology otherwise, will go to see the new movie.

Notice how smoothly I changed the subject? :)

21. Super_Ludacris Registered

I can understand kids dressing up and emulating there idols on MTV but...................Clark and Lana?

22. Whiteflag Registered

I've enjoyed reading the posts on this thread. Very interesting discussion and some great points from everyone.

AgentPat, I, like you, am really interested in just one particular member of the cast. :)

Avidreader, I agree with many of your comments.

Great reading! Thanks!

23. avidreader Registered

This can only mean one thing right?

And I love this comment.

I know there are alot out there that will love this comment.

And this one, I find very interesting.

24. Brainiac 8 Clark Smash!

I am more and more loving DeKnight because of this thread, I may forgive him for some of the episodes he had a part in.

Especially about calling Lana on her Crap.:up: ;)

25. Super_Ludacris Registered

He wrote it so he should be able to figure out how to do it....smh