SteveDeKnight

SDeKnight said:
DEKNIGHT: I think she knows he's special, but just how special is a mystery. To me at least.l

You dont know how special Clark is or you dont know if Lana knows how special Clark is. ;)

C'mon, its so obvious that he's :supes: Hee, hee.... to me at least.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Serene said:
Coffee nothing.. Teh bar is open! :p

4%20drinks.jpg

I might have just one and a coffee as well. Still feeling a bit queazy after last night. :O

More Questions :D :

(1) What do u guys have pland for season 6?

(2) How far do u think Smallville will last? till 6 or 7 season?

(3) Are we ever goin to see Zod?

QUESTIONS FROM TKODAMI:

TKodami said:
Avid, Serene and BaK have basically covered the (good) questions that I had, so I'm going to try to think up a couple on the fly:

1) Have the writers ever considered doing a large ensemble scene with all (or almost all) of the characters in one place for an extended period? Are there any budgetary constraints on doing a scene like this, or have the individual arcs of each character simply kept them apart?

DEKNIGHT: Yeah, it's a time problem. We have a limited number of hours we can shoot per day (usually around 12). The more people in a scene, the more coverage you need (shooting close ups, overs, etc on that actor). More coverage means more shooting time, so with each character you add into a scene, that scene takes exponentially longer to shoot. It's purely a numbers game.

2) Do you have a favorite action scene and/or set piece in the series? (Clark catching the elevator has definitely become one of my favorite. :up:)

DEKNIGHT: Two come to mind: Kal-El taking off in the premier last year, and Clark leaping onto the missile in Hidden. Soooo Superman! Amazing we could do that on TV.

3) Do you have a writing routine? Do you prefer to write during specific hours of the day? Are you a pencil-and-paper guy, a word-processor junkie, or both?

DEKNIGHT: I'm a computer guy. My routine is get up, eat, write until lunch, eat, write some more, take a nap, get up and start all over again until I collapse at the end of the night. Ah the life of a writer. Exciting, isn't it?!

4) What is your most harrowing experience of writing under a deadline?

DEKNIGHT: That would actually be on Buffy. I had three days to write Dead Things in Season Six, I believe. Only got a couple of hours of sleep. But it turned out to be my favorite ep that I wrote on that show.

Maybe I should just sleep less, huh? Lazy bastard.

:supes:

Hi there!

Who wrote the episode Vessel? And, how would you rate it based on previous Smallville season finales. I find myself skeptical that any finale could surpass Commencement. THAT was brilliant. But the buzz says that Vessel is the biggest finale yet. Without spoiling us too much, what are your thoughts? {We have so little spoilers to go on this year.)

I don't know if you'll get to this one.. it's okay if you don't, I think it's great that you're answering all that you are.. but I am wondering how often it is that you get up to Vancouver?

I assume that you mainly work out of L.A. but since the show is based in Vancouver do ever need to go there and be on set?
And do you get to party with the cast when you do? :D

(Okay, maybe that's just what *I* would do..) ;)

QUESTIONS FROM AGENT PAT:

AgentPat said:
Lemme first say, I'm really quite happy with what's been done on the show so far. I have nitpicks here and there, but I understand the show is under certain constraints from various places and they simply don't have the latitude to just go sick.

That said, I have three "TINY" requests...
  1. Please, for the love of everything Superman, get him OFF the ground, STAT!!! Ya folla? [/Robert Shaw] :D
DEKNIGHT: Flying is so incredibly expensive to do right. You'd still only see it once or twice a year. But it was damn cool, wasn't it?
  1. More hints about the suit, its origin, design, and Clark's decision to wear something that for all intents and purposes, is really kind of .... silly. LOL SV is "grounded" in a very real word, albeit with superhuman characters. Why would the Clark we know choose to wear something like that - in public? I'm looking forward to seeing how SV tackles this very important aspect of Supes' origins. Oh, and btw, a note to wardrobe: Regarding SV's version of the costume, "K.I.S.S." ;)
DEKNIGHT: I don't see what's silly about it at all. I'm wearing one right now. But seriously, folks, I agree. That'd be a cool bit of business.
  1. And finally, no cop-outs for the show finale. None of this "we'll only see a streak" or "shirt rip" BS. All the way baby. Full deal. I want to see SV's Superman in all his glory, thankyaverymuch!!!
DEKNIGHT: If I'm around when the show raps up, I'll see what I can do. But my contract only extends through Season Six. After that, I'm kinda hoping to be ruining my own show.

Other than that, I'm good. Rock on! You guys are AWESOME! There's a reason why this is true...

iceberg.jpg

DEKNIGHT: So that's where all you fans are. I was wondering why my ash was wet. Hahahahahaha! I keed, I keed!

Mostly.

:up:

SteveDeKnight said:
DEKNIGHT: If I'm around when the show raps up, I'll see what I can do. But my contract only extends through Season Six. After that, I'm kinda hoping to be ruining my own show.

That's a shame. I hope you stick around, your writing rocks. And I would just like to add that every time my 11 year old son gets out the Season 4 DVD set, Ageless is the first episode he watches and repeatedly.

Steve DeKnight said:
DEKNIGHT: Yeah, it's a time problem. We have a limited number of hours we can shoot per day (usually around 12). The more people in a scene, the more coverage you need (shooting close ups, overs, etc on that actor). More coverage means more shooting time, so with each character you add into a scene, that scene takes exponentially longer to shoot. It's purely a numbers game.

Damn, there goes my hope of a L&C-esque episode where everyone's trapped by kidnappers/terrorists in Metropolis. :(

DEKNIGHT: Two come to mind: Kal-El taking off in the premier last year, and Clark leaping onto the missile in Hidden. Soooo Superman! Amazing we could do that on TV.

The missle jump on Hidden takes my breath away whenever I watch it. I am constantly amazed at what you guys can give us on a week-in, week-out basis. :up:

DEKNIGHT: I'm a computer guy. My routine is get up, eat, write until lunch, eat, write some more, take a nap, get up and start all over again until I collapse at the end of the night. Ah the life of a writer. Exciting, isn't it?!

Damnit, I'm missing the nap part! :D

I love the word processor--it truely it the holy grail of computer apps. I'm partial to keeping notes in a hard-bound journal while I'm using the computer. It feels like one medium is never enough.

DEKNIGHT: That would actually be on Buffy. I had three days to write Dead Things in Season Six, I believe. Only got a couple of hours of sleep. But it turned out to be my favorite ep that I wrote on that show.

Most impressive! I'm fifty-fifty on sleep-deprived writing. Some of it can be pure gold (especially because you get that jolt of, DID I WRITE THIS?! in the morning), but some of it deserves to be buried in steel drums in Nevada...::shudder::

Thank you for your answers, Mr. DeKnight. And keep up the good work--ah, bad place, who am I kidding?--I'll luv ya no matter what. :D

avidreader said:
That's a shame. I hope you stick around, your writing rocks. And I would just like to add that every time my 11 year old son gets out the Season 4 DVD set, Ageless is the first episode he watches and repeatedly.

I'm actually a fan of Ageless too. I thought it was a sweet way of re-introducing the Clark-Lana romance that had been pretty non-existant during Season Four. :up:

Please, please don't hurt me with the pointy sticks. :O

QUESTIONS FROM BRAINIAC 8:

Brainiac 8 said:
Might as well mention a few of the questions I had.

Mr DeKight:

First off, I love the show! One of the best on tv.:up:

1) Do the writer's have a plan set out that is going to explain Jor-El and why he has acted the way he has in the past seasons. It's just really hard to see this Jor-El being the one that Clark grows to trust from the comics. Do they have a plan set out to explain this?

DEKNIGHT: Al and Miles do have some sort of plan. But I can't tell you what it is. I like my job.

2) I know that you have to work on an SFX budget per episode, but it seems we don't see Clark effectively use his powers as much as he used to. What do you think of this, and is this a concern at all to the writer's or producers?

DEKNIGHT: We'd love to have Clark whip out his powers all the time, but yes, the CGI is super expensive. And when we do a huge bit like the missile gag in Hidden, we run overbudget. Which means we have to make that money up by skimping on the powers in two or three epiosdes down the line. It's a vicious CGI circle.

3) Speaking of powers...when are we going to get to see his Super-Breath and for the love of god FLIGHT. Clark knows he has that ability in him, but we don't get to see him wonder about it or try it out any. Are we going to get to see any of these two?

DEKNIGHT: Flight explained earlier. Super-Breath coming up next season, we hope.

4) With as powerful as Milton Fine is and the fact that he gains a new ability every time we see him, why didn't he just off Lionel instead of trying to get Clark to?

DEKNIGHT: That really irritated me when I saw Oracle. In the last script I read Clark and Lionel pose the same question, and come to the conclusion that Fine couldn't get close to Lionel. Whatever Jor-El did to Lionel, it disrupts Fine's systems. In effect, Lionel is a weapon against Fine. That's why Fine was using Clark to do his dirty work. But all that got cut somehow. And that made us writer types look bad. Hate when that happens.

5) Will we ever get to see Lana learn of Clark's abilities? It would really help her to see how unfairly she has treated Clark throughout these last two seasons.

DEKNIGHT: I hope so, but it probably won't happen until late in the series.

6) Are there any other Superman Villains you would like to introduce in Smallville, and who are they?

DEKNIGHT: Bizzaro, Metallo, and Toy Man come to mind. Any other suggestions?

TKodami said:
I'm actually a fan of Ageless too. I thought it was a sweet way of re-introducing the Clark-Lana romance that had been pretty non-existant during Season Four. :up:

Please, please don't hurt me with the pointy sticks. :O

I liked it too. I still think it may have worked better if they had found some way of keeping him as the little boy rather than booming into a teenager.

Serene said:
LOL...just an FYI..

You can hit the "Quote" box in the lower right hand corner of any post and the whole post will come up within a quote box.

THen just type your responses below that. Preview helps. ;)

I'll get the hang of this one day.

avidreader said:
I liked it too. I still think it may have worked better if they had found some way of keeping him as the little boy rather than booming into a teenager.
But can you imagine how much worse it would have come off then when they blew him up?? LOL...

SD said:
I'll get the hang of this one day.
Actually, you're doing great. :up:

DeKnight said:
5) Will we ever get to see Lana learn of Clark's abilities? It would really help her to see how unfairly she has treated Clark throughout these last two seasons.

DEKNIGHT: I hope so, but it probably won't happen until late in the series.

Okay, that just makes me wanna scream. Its so long over due, I feel it really drags her storyline down. Please say your teasing. :)

But I will be patient and see what you guys have planned.

Super_Ludacris said:
I got ya back homie! lol

Hehee, thanks. :)

avidreader said:

You have my complete agreement there; the kid-version was definitely cuter than the teen-version. :D

Steve DeKnight said:
DEKNIGHT: Bizzaro, Metallo, and Toy Man come to mind. Any other suggestions?

Yea Kenny Braverman A.K.A Conduit

Serene said:
But can you imagine how much worse it would have come off then when they blew him up?? LOL...

Well we could have seen a more obvious aging process during the final moments. I dunno, it just seemed that the kid was a better actor and more identifiable character than the teenager.

I like the insights into your process, Steve... one of my favorite books was on Stephen King's writing, On Writing...

I also really like Adventures in the Screen Trade for the same reasons, it's interesting to see how different people work...

I start out with scene cards the rest is all on the confuser... ;) :up:

TKodami said:
Steven DeKnight is here!! :eek: [/fangirl squeal of glee]

I check out your MySpace page every couple of days. Your answers to the Mercy questions were hilarious and enlightening. Thank you so much for taking time to answer the fans. We luv you for it. I'll miss ya when you crawl back into that hole that is real life & script-writing (I spent 14 hours the other day writing a measly 4 pages for my thesis--I know how bad of a time-impact writing can be). Mercy was a blast and I look forward to your season six eps. :)

EDIT: Can't...spell...good...no more.

I can't spell worth a damn either. Very embarrassing. Thanks for dropping by MySpace. Did you sign up as one of my friends? 'Cause you know Brian K. Vaughn is beating me ten to one. Bastard.

Shamless BKV plug: If any of you out there aren't reading Y: The Last Man, run out and get the trade paperbacks immediately! Pure genius!

triplet said:
I like the insights into your process, Steve... one of my favorite books was on Stephen King's writing, On Writing...

I also really like Adventures in the Screen Trade for the same reasons, it's interesting to see how different people work...

I start out with scene cards the rest is all on the confuser... ;) :up:

My confuser runs 24-7.

Steve DeKnight said:
Shamless BKV plug: If any of you out there aren't reading Y: The Last Man, run out and get the trade paperbacks immediately! Pure genius!

I've read the first 3 so far.. Someone needs to seriously make a film out of that series, it's wildly entertaining. Do something about that, will ya? ;)

Preacher, too. Tom would be great cast in the lead, btw.

I created an account at your MySpace, and then I couldnt remember what user name I gave myself and now I'm really confused.

Steve DeKnight said:
I can't spell worth a damn either. Very embarrassing. Thanks for dropping by MySpace. Did you sign up as one of my friends? 'Cause you know Brian K. Vaughn is beating me ten to one. Bastard.

::scampers off to sign up for myspace:: :O

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"