Steven Spielberg's West Side Story adaptation

Not sure which musical is better, but considering Jon M. Chu hasn't made a film I've liked, I'll go with West Side Story. Though, I guess Chu has more experience with directing film musicals.

Most of it is footage from the teaser with a couple of new shots.

still no trailer that shows, how the music will be used - will it be the original songs or them adapted with hip hop and r’n b vibes?

still no trailer that shows, how the music will be used - will it be the original songs or them adapted with hip hop and r’n b vibes?
I'm pretty sure it's just the original songs since this looks to be a period piece.

that would just attract the older audience or the people who liked the original. I‘m afraid Seven Spielberg did something to make it hip and apealing to the younger generation.

But that’s not really Spielberg’s style. This looks more in-line with his more adult dramas like Bridge of Spies and The Post.

that would just attract the older audience or the people who liked the original. I‘m afraid Seven Spielberg did something to make it hip and apealing to the younger generation.
What he did to make it hip and appealing was to cast actual Hispanic actors this time around, unlike the majority of the actors who portrayed the Sharks in the original save for Rita Moreno.

Spielberg finally made his musical and it looks fantastic!

This really has a chance to do well this Christmas over the holidays I think. Dare I say, become the breakout that people thought In the Heights would’ve been?

I think that story turned out to be bogus or part of some plan to take down celebs? Odd times we are living in!

An uneeded remake. Really dont know why he made this.

He has a great cinematografer for sure, but thats the only positive thing about this.

I don't know why he made it, but it could just be as simple as Spielberg just might be a big fan of the movie and wanted to do his own version. It's strange, but it's Spielberg. I'm sure this will be great.

In terms of choreography and performances, yeah, this probably won't touch the original. But on the plus side, no brownface in this one.

The cinematography looks great. This kind of reminds me of La La Land in the sense that it really looks like a classic era Hollywood musical brought to life for modern times. It being a remake makes it a bit less interesting, but Spielberg can do whatever he wants at this point as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure this is going to be immensely watchable, and I don't love musicals per se.

An uneeded remake. Really dont know why he made this.

He has a great cinematografer for sure, but thats the only positive thing about this.

I don't know the original all that well.

I guess the question I would have is why not update it to today as opposed to keeping the late 50s and early 60s setting?

Again, I don't know the story beyond it basically being Romeo and Juliet, but is the story such that a remake needs to be set in the 20th century much like My Fair Lady is set in the Victorian era?

Or is it more about keeping with the traditional performances of the show?

Loving the new trailer. Really can't wait for this. Massive Spielberg fan and the story is always a classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"