Supergirl in a Supes solo movie or in the DCCU?

Two things:

1) Her universe has its own Superman
2) The TV show gas a completely different world/time to what we've seen eith the DCEU.

I don't think there's anyway it would work and I'd rather see the DCEU do something different with Kara.

I'm glad the universes are seperate, I think it's great that we have two DCUs on film at the same time. I wouldn't want to TV stuff to be hampered by the films and vice versa.

I still think it's best to introduce her in a Superman film first. You then spin her off into her own film with Superman been a supporting character or making a cameo (say the size of Gadot's in BvS). One thing I don't want is a repeat of the 1984 film where Superman no showed. Introducing her first in a Superman/Brainiac story just makes so much sense. She has a personal connection to the horrors Brainiac causes in the Geoff Johns run that would greatly benefit a movie.

I think you could do a Supergirl film without introducing her into a Superman film. Supergirl failed as a film because it was a bad film not because she didn't appear first in a Reeve film. Even then Reeve was originally going to appear in her film but couldn't do it .

That said , Umberto Gonzales has debunked the rumor so the point may be moot.

I like the idea of introducing Supergirl in a Superman movie more. Let people that don't watch the TV show get to know her first. Then do a Supergirl movie.

The rumor has been debunked, so it may not even appear in a Superman sequel or solo film yet anyway.

I would have a straight up Superman movie first and then in the sequel, you could introduce Supergirl

Actually there was already a straight up Superman movie in the DCEU. It was called Man of Steel. This will be a sequel to that movie.

I do feel they could use MOS2 to introduce another DC character though for their own film. Like Lobo or Martian Manhunter. Just make sure Superman is the focus of the film.

Why would they want to introduce those characters before Supergirl? Obviously there is going to be more demand for a female character like Supergirl with the success of Wonder Woman.
Martian Manhunter should be introduced. But I don't think a Superman movie is the place to do it. It should be in a Justice League sequel.
Does anyone really care about Lobo? Especially compared to Supergirl.

I still think a solo Superman movie works better first and then using the sequel to introduce Kara

Also to differentiate it from the TV show, I'd make her an actual teenager in the movie. Get an 18-20 year old to play her

Agreed, this being the sequel to Man of Steel, now is the time to introduce Supergirl. Also agree, make her younger to differentiate her from the TV version.

The rumor has been debunked, so it may not even appear in a Superman sequel or solo film yet anyway.

Then again how reliable is the debunker? It's not like it was from an official DC Films source either way.

I think you could do a Supergirl film without introducing her into a Superman film. Supergirl failed as a film because it was a bad film not because she didn't appear first in a Reeve film. Even then Reeve was originally going to appear in her film but couldn't do it .

That said , Umberto Gonzales has debunked the rumor so the point may be moot.

I never said it did. But doing that gives her solo room to breathe and she adds and emotional aspect to the Brainiac arc that isn't there without her.

The rumours been around for ages anyway. Anyone who actually knows anything won't say anything. This particular source is probably just throwing **** out there and seeing what sticks. But with Wonder Woman been such a success and WBs probably feeling they need an extra pull for the next Superman film it would not be surprising at all. As I've said elsewhere it feels like a no brainer so easy to make as an educated guess.

If it's debunked by Eh Maybe then I wouldn't put much stock in that either as the guy regularly spouts crap and actually suggested this very same rumour some time ago.

Why would they want to introduce those characters before Supergirl? Obviously there is going to be more demand for a female character like Supergirl with the success of Wonder Woman.
Martian Manhunter should be introduced. But I don't think a Superman movie is the place to do it. It should be in a Justice League sequel.
Does anyone really care about Lobo? Especially compared to Supergirl.

Why would it matter if they're introduced before Supergirl? In any case im just spit balling ideas.

With regards to Lobo WBs obviously cares because they've been trying to get a Lobo film off the ground for years. Also now that Deadpool has been hit as an R rated movie, the timing couldn't be better for an R rated Lobo movie.

Lobo has been used as a Superman antagonist in stories before so it would make a ton of sense to first introduce him in a Superman film first collecting a bounty on Superman.

Last edited:
Then again how reliable is the debunker? It's not like it was from an official DC Films source either way.

Umberto Gonzales debunked it , though take that for what you will. The rumor came from a 4chan messageboard so it wasn't as if it first appeared even on one of the more main stream scoop sights.

And anyway, I'd be surprised if WB made that kind of a plan at this point, before JL comes out. I actually put more stock in the rumored Black Adam / Superman MOS 2 than Supergirl appearing.

I never said it did. But doing that gives her solo room to breathe and she adds and emotional aspect to the Brainiac arc that isn't there without her.

The rumours been around for ages anyway. Anyone who actually knows anything won't say anything. This particular source is probably just throwing **** out there and seeing what sticks. But with Wonder Woman been such a success and WBs probably feeling they need an extra pull for the next Superman film it would not be surprising at all. As I've said elsewhere it feels like a no brainer so easy to make as an educated guess.

If it's debunked by Eh Maybe then I wouldn't put much stock in that either as the guy regularly spouts crap and actually suggested this very same rumour some time ago.

Well my argument against Supergirl being in the film isn't that it wouldn't help her character or Brainiac character. My argument is that it could take away from Superman/Clark Kent who should be the focus of his own film as opposed to sharing it with yet another hero again. That's the character they need to focus on and build on for the next Superman film. You could still have Brainiac without Supergirl , especially if they go STAS route, but that's assuming he's gonna be the next villain.

I tend to believe the rumor is just that , a rumor, and that more likely than not they'd rather bring Dwayne Johnson/ Black adam as a potential boost than Supergirl at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just let the tv show play out a bit longer and then decide to do their own film version. They didn't with Flash, but , I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't in a rush to introduce her into the DCU. I tend to think Batgirl is more a priority.

Well my argument against Supergirl being in the film isn't that it wouldn't help her character or Brainiac character. My argument is that it could take away from Superman/Clark Kent who should be the focus of his own film as opposed to sharing it with yet another hero again. That's the character they need to focus on and build on for the next Superman film. You could still have Brainiac without Supergirl , especially if they go STAS route, but that's assuming he's gonna be the next villain.

I tend to believe the rumor is just that , a rumor, and that more likely than not they'd rather bring Dwayne Johnson/ Black adam as a potential boost than Supergirl at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just let the tv show play out a bit longer and then decide to do their own film version. They didn't with Flash, but , I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't in a rush to introduce her into the DCU. I tend to think Batgirl is more a priority.

It's fine if you don't want her we don't gave to agree.

Films always have supporting characters and if done right they don't take away from the film's star. Personality I don't see that as an issue.

Well of course rumours are just rumours but if we didn't discuss them then it would be pretty dull most of the time.

Yes to Supergirl, but I don't know if I'd want her in the Man of Steel sequel.

I'd like a movie that pretty much sets Justice League & other JL characters to one side & focuses on Superman just as Man of Steel did.

Just Kara though as well I might add, no Superboy or any other Kryptonian.

I'm not opposed to a Supergirl/Brainiac story - in fact I'm dying to see one. I just don't think that story particularly works for Supergirl's introduction to the universe.

I'd like to see her origin done similarly to Jeph Loeb's version...but in a Justice League film, so it can feature Batman, Wonder Woman, etc. as it did in the comics - Batman finds her, Wonder Woman and the Amazons train her, etc. Since they're already setting up Darkseid as a JL villain, why not include the part about him trying to make Kara one of his Furies as one of the subplots in a larger JL-centric story? Like, the rest of the League is dealing with the main aspects of Darkseid's plot while she's left training in Themyscira, and him kidnapping her to brainwash her into a Fury is sort of an end-of-Act 2 curveball thrown in to add personal stakes to the climax. So maybe Supes and Wondy are fighting the Furies and Kara/trying to get her back to their side while the rest of the League is handling Darkseid's invasion on Earth. Which of course they succeed in getting Kara back to their side, and then they all fight off Darkseid together, and Kara becomes Supergirl at the end.

And THEN, after that film, when Kara is officially Supergirl but still relatively new to Earth, that's the time to do an MoS sequel featuring her and Brainiac, imo. That way you keep the MoS sequel from being too Kara-centric as you've already got her origin out of the way.

Last edited:
I'm not opposed to a Supergirl/Brainiac story - in fact I'm dying to see one. I just don't think that story particularly works for Supergirl's introduction to the universe.

I'd like to see her origin done similarly to Jeph Loeb's version...but in a Justice League film, so it can feature Batman, Wonder Woman, etc. as it did in the comics - Batman finds her, Wonder Woman and the Amazons train her, etc. Since they're already setting up Darkseid as a JL villain, why not include the part about him trying to make Kara one of his Furies as one of the subplots in a larger JL-centric story? Like, the rest of the League is dealing with the main aspects of Darkseid's plot while she's left training in Themyscira, and him kidnapping her to brainwash her into a Fury is sort of an end-of-Act 2 curveball thrown in to add personal stakes to the climax. So maybe Supes and Wondy are fighting the Furies and Kara/trying to get her back to their side while the rest of the League is handling Darkseid's invasion on Earth. Which of course they do, and then they all fight off Darkseid together, and Kara becomes Supergirl at the end.

And THEN, after that film, when Kara is officially Supergirl but still relatively new to Earth, that's the time to do an MoS sequel featuring her and Brainiac, imo. That way you keep the MoS sequel from being too Kara-centric as you've already got her origin out of the way.

This would be the ideal way to bring her in

Actually there was already a straight up Superman movie in the DCEU. It was called Man of Steel. This will be a sequel to that movie.

Yeah and I wasn't a big fan. It'll also be at least 7-8 years since MoS came out if/when a Superman movie comes out so no one will remember it. I want a somewhat soft reboot before introducing any supporting superheroes

Besides this rumor came from flippin 4chan so no need to take it seriously anyway

Yeah and I wasn't a big fan. It'll also be at least 7-8 years since MoS came out if/when a Superman movie comes out so no one will remember it. I want a somewhat soft reboot before introducing any supporting superheroes

Besides this rumor came from flippin 4chan so no need to take it seriously anyway

Justice league is the soft reboot... Superman reborn, Batman a change of heart, new characters.

It will be like Man of Steel and Batman V Superman never existed, luckily it's only 2 movies.

Justice league is the soft reboot... Superman reborn, Batman a change of heart, new characters.

It will be like Man of Steel and Batman V Superman never existed, luckily it's only 2 movies.

It will be like they never existed yet they're continuing on with things they set up in those films. Yeah great logic!

Just a (potentially) silly question; if Kryptonians get their power from our atmosphere and sun, why would Darkseid want Kara as a Fury?
If she'd be on Apocalypse she would eventually lose whatever reserves shed built up on Earth?
Five things I could guess at?
1. Apocalypse has similar or similarly nourishing conditions.
2. Kryptonian solar power takes forever to run out?
3. Kryptonians are naturally hella powerful even without Earth's conditions.
4. He'd augment her somehow?

I dislike all of those. My preferred is Darkseid intending her to rule Earth specifically in his stead.

Was there something in the comics that suggest why?

Just a (potentially) silly question; if Kryptonians get their power from our atmosphere and sun, why would Darkseid want Kara as a Fury?
If she'd be on Apocalypse she would eventually lose whatever reserves shed built up on Earth?

I dislike all of those. My preferred is Darkseid intending her to rule Earth specifically in his stead.

1. Anyone know what kind of sun Apokolips has? If it is a yellow sun or even better a blue sun then she would be the same or even more powerful under a blue sun. If a red sun she'd be instantly depowered.
2. Unless they solar flare. Which sort of sounds like their energy gets depleted sooner rather than later but gets replenished by the sun faster than it gets expended under normal circumstances.
3. Wasn't one of the original reasons Superman could jump so high and was bullet proof was because Krypton had a stronger gravity and Kryptonian have a denser body?
4. Emits some sort of energy equivalent to solar radiation?

I've always wondered this myself.....lol.

I guess it's one of the limitations of the Supers being dependent on our Yellow Sun for power.

though, in the recent Batgirl Annual comic, which featured a teamup with Supergirl, Kara mentioned that the light from the stars was helping her recover her depleted energy at night, even though is was less strong than the Sun.

so, maybe that's an explanation? that technically Kryptonians can absorb other forms of "cosmic light" it's just that the Yellow Sun is the strongest way.

Didn't they invent sun lamps or whatever? Could be something Darkseid had to keep her powered up.

Didn't they invent sun lamps or whatever? Could be something Darkseid had to keep her powered up.

Good point. On the TV show the DEO used sun lamps to repower Kara after she got bombed, and drained by Parasite and by Lillian Luthor

I'm not really a fan of tying Kara's introduction to Darkseid. First, for much the same reasons as evil Superman, I'm not sure that evil Kara is a good place to have her. It'd kinda imply that Kryptonians are inherently susceptible to brainwashing and control, and would only confirm that it's better if they weren't around. I'd certainly not prefer it if JL 1 goes that route with Superman. And even if JL 1 doesn't, I'm not sure I like the idea of telling the audience once again just how dangerous Kryptonians are/how manipulative the bad guys are. As I see it, such creative choices don't actually serve the characters being introduced/developed.

But second, Kara's origin is very much tied to Krypton, and so if she is to be introduced, I'd rather it be in a story that is focused on Krypton, rather than a story that's focused on the Trinity and Darkseid. Yes, I'd rather Kara not take the spotlight from Superman (which is why I think she should be saved for a MOS 3), but Kara wouldn't necessarily overshadow an established/developed Superman, as such a film would both be about her coming to terms with the loss of her world, and Superman coming to terms with the arrival of a member of his biological family.

Linda Danvers is my favorite Supergirl, though there's a few incarnations of Kara that're cool. As far as Kara, there's not only a tv show it'd (easily) compete with, but also the fact that the pod in Man of Steel shows one opened. I was hoping for a wraparound for lore in the DCEU that Amazons are partly (save Wondy) Kryptonian, explaining their extraordinary strength. So a flashback. That Superman wasn't he first Super on the planet. Thousands of years ago, a Lilith archetype fell from the sky, creating many beings. Some good... Some not so good.

Linda could go into the whole Matrix-Supergirl thing, as well as tap into the supernatural side of DC even more, being that she's a fallen angel of sorts. They could rework that to be more fitting, though.

Linda Danvers - Imogen Poots...?
tumblr_m321o5GNHw1r99f4t.gif

You will only ever see Kara as Supergirl in the films. She could very well adopt the Linda Danvers identity but I doubt that too tbh.

You will also never see Matrix Supergirl in live action. At least not in the traditional sense. I think the TV show has now solidified that it will always be Kara.

You will only ever see Kara as Supergirl in the films. She could very well adopt the Linda Danvers identity but I doubt that too tbh.

You will also never see Matrix Supergirl in live action. At least not in the traditional sense. I think the TV show has now solidified that it will always be Kara.

Other than Power Girl are there even any other versions of Supergirl left anymore besides Kara Zor-El/Kara Danvers? Kara Zor-El is who Supergirl was in New 52 and who Supergirl is in Rebirth
as well as now being Kara Danvers. In a movie she will probably be Kara Danvers when she isn't being Kara Zor-El.

As for what happened in Man of Steel, that was four years ago. It will probably be another 2 years before Man of Steel 2. So in 6 years most people won't even know or care about that so they
can easily come up with a whole new origin for Supergirl. Just like I don't expect Jimmy Olsen to stay dead forever. I seriously doubt people would boycott MoS2 because they changed Supergirl's origin.

Last edited:
Other than Power Girl are there even any other versions of Supergirl left anymore besides Kara Zor-El/Kara Danvers? Kara Zor-El is who Supergirl was in New 52 and who Supergirl is in Rebirth
as well as now being Kara Danvers. In a movie she will probably be Kara Danvers when she isn't being Kara Zor-El.

As for what happened in Man of Steel, that was four years ago. It will probably be another 2 years before Man of Steel 2. So in 6 years most people won't even know or care about that so they
can easily come up with a whole new origin for Supergirl. Just like I don't expect Jimmy Olsen to stay dead forever. I seriously doubt people would boycott MoS2 because they changed Supergirl's origin.

What I'm saying is the comics have had Kara as Supergirl for so long now and the TV show has confirmed her as Kara Zor El. They have cemented her as Supergirl. Not Matrix, not Linda Danvers etc. If they add Supergirl to the movie universe she will be Kara Zor El.

Where the hell did I say they would boycott it if that happened? Talk about reading something and spinning it!

Nowhere at all did you say you would boycott it. I'm saying no one would boycott Man of Steel 2 if they changed Supergirl's origin from what supposedly happened in Man of Steel.

Nowhere at all did you say you would boycott it. I'm saying no one would boycott Man of Steel 2 if they changed Supergirl's origin from what supposedly happened in Man of Steel.

But why even say that if no ones saying it?

I definitely don't think it's a given that they won't changer her origin. They could go with the MOS prequel comic or a sister planet like on STAS etc. But I for sure don't foresee them going down the Matrix Supergirl route and I guarantee that Supergirl will be Kara. That doesn't mean she can't adopt the name Linda Danvers or Linda Lee etc. But I for sure don't think we'll see a Supergirl who isn't Kara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"