Supergirl Supergirl Season 1 Episode 3- "Fight or Flight" MAJOR SPOILERS

Supergirl's had that 6.3 since the pilot aired(maybe even earlier if voting was open before the premiere due to the leak). Honestly, I think there were a lot of groans at the mere mention that there was going to be a Supergirl show so a lot of people went in with closed-minds, and then closed even further over the feminist themes and yet even further over the casting of Jimmy Olsen.

Lead, I went in with an open mind about this show because it's Supergirl, my favorite female superhero. I must admit I was sort of puzzled about casting James Olsen, but then I realize on The Flash they have Candice Patton as Iris. By the way not only is she brainy, she is beautiful.

The other complaint(s) come from these fanboy trolls on social media who want A DIRECT COMIC ADAPTATION to satisfy their neurosis. Anything less results in a temper tantrum. Possibly it could also be those "men" (note the quotes) who are SCARED of strong sexy women that they resort to misogyny and hypocrisy when these people praise The Flash or Arrow. I happen to like The Flash because of the tone similar to Supergirl.

And it's that misogyny that has led to these militant feminists spewing their propaganda making a mockery of what the movement should be standing for...equality. Ali Adler said the writing staff is 50/50 men/women. If that is not equality, I do not know what is!

This stench from these trolls is sickening.

I think there's a distinct possibility that Kara and Superman have a relationship of some kind. You don't usually just IM people you don't know in a familiar manner.

The only thing more annoying than constant Superman references is the hyperbolic reaction fans have to hearing a Superman reference in a show about a character with strong ties to the Superman mythology. Really, people? Really?

Why would anyone be annoyed that in a world where a godlike superhero exists, and is constantly saving lives, characters who know him, especially the character directly connected to his legacy and learning the ropes of the superhero career he represents and has, in theory, perfected, reference him a few times an episode? He is her idol, and her ideal, and if she were real, much like in the comics, people would constantly be comparing her to him. She would very much have to forge her own way and get out from under his shadow.

What they've done is a hell of a lot more clever and ambitious than Superman being all "I have to go...my planet needs me", or Superman just leaving Earth or some such nonsense. That...that would be cheap.

Instead they've built a relationship between the two of them, even without direct contact. But it's the type of relationship two people, cousins in particular, might have. Yes, it's kind of cheesy that they can't or won't show Superman, but it's just one of the conceits of the show. They've clearly put a decent amount of thought into it.

I forget, though...new and different tends to equal bad around here. Let's just pretend Superman doesn't exist in a Supergirl story.

I couldn't have said it better myself! :yay::applaud

I am glad they didn't make Superman suddenly have to go to another planet. Actually, the last scene with her IM'ing Clark was very good. It almost should be a weekly thing. A way of showing Clark and Kara's relationship without him appearing.

I think there's a distinct possibility that Kara and Superman have a relationship of some kind. You don't usually just IM people you don't know in a familiar manner.

The only thing more annoying than constant Superman references is the hyperbolic reaction fans have to hearing a Superman reference in a show about a character with strong ties to the Superman mythology. Really, people? Really?

Why would anyone be annoyed that in a world where a godlike superhero exists, and is constantly saving lives, characters who know him, especially the character directly connected to his legacy and learning the ropes of the superhero career he represents and has, in theory, perfected, reference him a few times an episode? He is her idol, and her ideal, and if she were real, much like in the comics, people would constantly be comparing her to him. She would very much have to forge her own way and get out from under his shadow.

What they've done is a hell of a lot more clever and ambitious than Superman being all "I have to go...my planet needs me", or Superman just leaving Earth or some such nonsense. That...that would be cheap.

Instead they've built a relationship between the two of them, even without direct contact. But it's the type of relationship two people, cousins in particular, might have. Yes, it's kind of cheesy that they can't or won't show Superman, but it's just one of the conceits of the show. They've clearly put a decent amount of thought into it.

I forget, though...new and different tends to equal bad around here. Let's just pretend Superman doesn't exist in a Supergirl story.

I get that some folks are enjoying the bizarre "you just missed him!" presentation of the Man of Steel in a program that really should have been called "Superman's Cousin Kara". But I find it extremely frustrating. The show has a lot going for it, but the constant reliance on a character that is not a character on the show reveals a lack of faith in the folks we actually see on screen.

Kara's relationship with Clark reminds me of one I had with a Nigerian Princess a few years back who needed just a few thousand dollars to get her vast fortune out of the country. It doesn't exist, no matter how much we want to believe it does.

And yes really, people are voicing their concerns in the hopes that the show's problems will be addressed. I'm certain the steep ratings drop is getting their attention.

I think they're keeping it intentionally vague. Their recent conversation implies familiarity, but most - if not all - of the dialogue that references their relationship gives the impression that they're basically strangers.

For me, at least, it's how they're doing it. I expect and welcome any and all references to Superman, but they way they do it at times feels a bit forced. Could be the delivery, the dialogue, or both.

Maybe, but for what SG is doing, it'd make a heck of a lot more sense.

Instead they've built a relationship between the two of them, even without direct contact.

We don't really know the nature or extent of their relationship.

But it's the type of relationship two people, cousins in particular, might have.

These two cousins are the last of their race. I would not expect them be so distant.

I forget, though...new and different tends to equal bad around here.

Only when it's bad. Which this isn't. But it isn't particularly good, either.

Clark was a full on adult when Kara finally arrived. With a full time job and of course, his Superman activities. Having a relationship with a family member doesn't mean exactly mean talking to them everyday.

I'm perfectly fine with her reason for not wanting Superman's help. It is a far better emotional reason than for random reason X. I mean, pretty much failing in the mission her dead parents gave her is a blow. And to add extra salt into the wound, she would need his help. I really like that angle.

That said, I would like to see a bit more of Clark's influence. I don't really care about seeing Superman. But I would like to see Clark interact with his cousin. I also want to see more of her adopted parents and her mother's hologram. Until then, I am fine with things like the IMing or phone calls, were we only see her side.

Clark was a full on adult when Kara finally arrived. With a full time job and of course, his Superman activities. Having a relationship with a family member doesn't mean exactly mean talking to them everyday.

These aren't two ordinary cousins. They're the last surviving members of their race. You'd think they'd be fairly close, but they don't seem to be.

I'm perfectly fine with her reason for not wanting Superman's help.

So am I, but Kara shouldn't be above accepting help when it's obvious she needs it. There's a fine line between stubborn and stupid.

That said, I would like to see a bit more of Clark's influence. I don't really care about seeing Superman. But I would like to see Clark interact with his cousin.

I'd be 100% okay with only Clark, but never Superman.

We don't really have a good idea of how much he was around when she was younger. Being close also doesn't mean they have to be in constant communication. They still do live pretty far away, and his life is definitely hectic. I do think that the IM conversation was a decent indication that they are close.

Quite frankly, I didn't see a situation that required his help. We weren't exactly looking at a world ending threat here. Yes, the first fight with Reactron didn't go well. But, neither did the fight with Vartoxx. The only difference here is Reactron had a history of going toe to toe with Superman. And Kara is right, if she only handles the fights she knows she can win, what kind of hero can she be? I can see the argument a bit if the stakes were higher. But, they really weren't. One doesn't become a superhero because you want to avoid danger.

These aren't two ordinary cousins. They're the last surviving members of their race. You'd think they'd be fairly close, but they don't seem to be.

So am I, but Kara shouldn't be above accepting help when it's obvious she needs it. There's a fine line between stubborn and stupid.

Agreed, besides, on the second episode, Kara was talking about being "stronger together" and how it takes courage to accept help... but now she doesn't want help from Clark? Really? She's contradicting herself and makes the character a bit fickle. Their relationship seems very distant, Clark hasn't even shown the FOS to Kara, it's thanks to the DEO that she has her Kryptonian room to communicate with Alura, anyone could think this Superman is a bit of a *****e. Smallville did a better job with Clark and Kara's relationship, they helped each other out, Clark taught Kara how to use some their powers, etc. Supergirl has done a very poor characterization of their relationship, easily the worst I have seen so far, is really a shame.

We don't really have a good idea of how much he was around when she was younger. Being close also doesn't mean they have to be in constant communication. They still do live pretty far away, and his life is definitely hectic. I do think that the IM conversation was a decent indication that they are close.

Really? That's not an excuse for Kryptonians with superspeed who can fly to any part of the world in a few seconds. There's nothing wrong with Clark helping her, he saved her life, Kara should follow her own "stronger together" advice. The "it won't happen again" seems to be the producers way to say Superman is not going to save her again... till they can use Superman for real on the show, which won't happen unless Warner gives them the ok.

Really? That's not an excuse for Kryptonians with superspeed who can fly to any part of the world in a few seconds. There's nothing wrong with Clark helping her, he saved her life, Kara should follow her own "stronger together" advice. The "it won't happen again" seems to be the producers way to say Superman is not going to save her again... till they can use Superman for real on the show, which won't happen unless Warner gives them the ok.
Not to mention what alex told her when it seemed she was having a fit cause Kara was disappointed in her self. that one day she'll save superman and she'll have her story and it's just getting started. I look at it all as this as who's this was all aimed at? The viewer's That's who .

Remember there were two side's split on this issue about superman saving her. he did(blurred up and all he did was just showing up and nothing more ge didn't fight Reactron off with ease ) but some day maybe in later in season's past this one like season 5 or 8 and forward when the embargo lifted cause the movies are securely in place and kara in her own career as super girl is secure she'll save him.

The part about "her having her story" that was for those that didn't like the idea of him showing up at all. it was message from the writers to both side's of the audience using alex as the messager.

she'll have her Independence and she repay the favor too one day (not soon but one day). he won't get in her way after this event though.

Last edited:

I can't speak for others here, but my issue with how they're approaching this matter on the show is that I feel like they haven't really given audiences an good reason on why Superman can't get involved in the show, story wise.

I get that Kara wants to step out of her cousin's shadow and be her own hero. But at the same time, given on how that reason was portrayed in this episode, Kara comes off as both a little ignorant and immature as well.

So Kara plans on NEVER contacting her cousin for help when a situation arises that could threaten all of humanity and where the only way that it could be stopped would be teaming up with her cousin?

I don't think Kara's first instinct should be to go to Superman whenever things get bad, but she didn't need to throw a tantrum over the fact that she was still alive as a result of her cousin's involvement.

Plus, whenever you have people telling Kara that she could be a better hero than Superman at this early stage, especially when she hasn't shown any signs of possessing that type of potential, it really comes off as very laughable and obvious pandering to their supergirl fans.

I think the best way to establish Supergirl as true heroine on her own would be to stop having characters bring up Superman to compare her with.

I think the best way to establish Supergirl as true heroine on her own would be to stop having characters bring up Superman to compare her with.
agreedthey should. but most people in real life are jerks. So the show might likely not stop that. but it's what she does that's important. she should ignore them and do her own thing, her way and hopefully one day she will help him and she'll be mature enough to accept help from him.

the only reason he won't show while the movies are in play for now, is due to the movies. once wb feel secure that the movies won't be seen a lower due to the tv show in the later season and hopefully this show goes to 10 seasons . we're likely to see him in between now to 10 likely after season 5

I think they have given a perfectly good reason why he shouldn't be a part of the story line. It's not his story....his story has been told. It is now her turn.

I think they have given a perfectly good reason why he shouldn't be a part of the story line. It's not his story....his story has been told. It is now her turn.

But story wise, they've also established that her cousin is a big time hero (like he is in the comics), so what do they do when Kara eventually comes across a global threat that's bigger than her? Do they still go with the reason that this isn't Superman's story but Kara's to justify why Kara wouldn't ask for assistance in dealing with something that's bigger than her?

And Superman appearing doesn't make it his story since he is a part of her life/mythology.

The show was good, and Kara in that green dress was sexy. I particularly liked the line at the end where she said "don't watch Homeland until I get back." It made her seem very down-to-earth and doing the same regular things the rest of us do, and almost like she was just off to run an errand like going to the store. To her, saving someone is a bit like that perhaps.

The IM-ing was a good solution I suppose. However, in lots of work places, don't they have keystroke logging technology like Spector Pro, particularly if your boss is particularly paranoid about what's going on in their company, and even sometimes if that is not the case? What if that is installed there on the work computers? That means that Cat Grant or someone else could read the IM exchange between Kara and Clark. That doesn't seem particularly secure. Wouldn't it be better to do it via text message at least? Even that isn't that secure either if it were to be hacked, but at least it's a bit more private than doing it on your work computer, which Cat could still have access to even without hacking. One shouldn't make any personal exchanges on one's work computer.

We don't really have a good idea of how much he was around when she was younger.

99.9% of everything we've seen and heard implies, at least to me, that they aren't close at all.

They still do live pretty far away, and his life is definitely hectic.

You're referring to two people who can break the sound barrier at will. Distance is now and will never be an issue. Their IM conversation suggests that they do speak every once in a while, but there's still a mountain of evidence that suggests that they're basically strangers.

Quite frankly, I didn't see a situation that required his help.

Reactron.

Come to think of it, he should probably be involved in protecting the world from his crazy aunt, too.

And Kara is right, if she only handles the fights she knows she can win, what kind of hero can she be?

What kind of hero would she be if she puts herself and others in danger because she's too stubborn to call for help when she needs it? It's a slippery slope that I hope the series doesn't slide down. I don't think it will, but it's too early to make any definite statements.

It like they don't really have a relationship...just Supes check in with her from time to time, making sure sure she's ok...but don't have the time or apparently, the will to mentor her

You guys need to lobby for a Superman series...

I think in the next couple of episodes you will see Cat fleshed out more as her son comes into the picture, so we will see another layer.

Her scenes in this episode didn't piss me off like others (that came with Maxwell Lord...lol) She cracked me up this episode.

The sister chemistry is perfection to me, I am loving that aspect of the series.

The fight scenes are really showing a nice, plausible progression of Supergirl's increase in skills. Really nicely done.

Cool, I just feel she needs something to make her seem like an actual person.

Speaking of Maxwell Lord, I get the feeling his new hover train is going to come into play for a big action set piece soon.

Cool, I just feel she needs something to make her seem like an actual person.

Speaking of Maxwell Lord, I get the feeling his new hover train is going to come into play for a big action set piece soon.

It may come into play in Ep. 4. :)

Remember there were two side's split on this issue about superman saving her. he did(blurred up and all he did was just showing up and nothing more ge didn't fight Reactron off with ease ) but some day maybe in later in season's past this one like season 5 or 8 and forward when the embargo lifted cause the movies are securely in place and kara in her own career as super girl is secure she'll save him.

CBS is not the CW, this show won't last that long, they have cancelled better shows despite decent ratings. And Supergirl is too expensive for the CW, it's one of the reasons they passed on it:

While “Supergirl” would seem to be a fit with CW’s “The Flash” and “Arrow,” the show is seen as too expensive for the younger-skewing network...

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/pilot-buzz-supergirl-cbs-1201481623/

As always, time will tell.

And a friendly advice buddy, could you spell check your posts a bit before posting, it would make it easier for us to read them, thank you! ;)

Plus, whenever you have people telling Kara that she could be a better hero than Superman at this early stage, especially when she hasn't shown any signs of possessing that type of potential, it really comes off as very laughable and obvious pandering to their supergirl fans.

Exactly, they don't have to make one hero better at the expense of the other, they did the same crap with Jay Garrick and how Barry is so much better than him blahblahblah... I won't be surprised if they end this show pretending Supergirl is more powerful than Superman, but hopefully, they will go with the more reasonable they're equals, there's no need to put one over the other.

I think the only people putting one over the other, OR having a problem with that perception are the Superman fans.

I think most others realize that they are equal in power, but certainly not skills at the moment. THE ONLY THING that her sister meant by doing things that even Superman hasn't done was she simply went at it in a different manner, help from friends, bringing in the history, backstory of the person (which didn't really help her too much in this case, but I think it is something she will do more of in the future). I don't know that anyone is toying with the idea of thinking, making, writing etc...Supergirl being more powerful than Superman. BUT, people's perception is their truth, so if that is how they perceive it, no matter how they came to that conclusion, then that is how the show will go for them. But, I don't think that is necessarily the reality of the writing, portrayal, or characterization of Supergirl.

It may come into play in Ep. 4. :)
:wow: The promo didn't really give anything on what the next eps threat would be, it was more about the Jimmy/Lucy/Kara complications and some everyday saves.

I think superman should train Kara and in return she will teach him about his kryptonian heritage. She actually was old enough to live on krypton and can teach him things his Crystals or computer programs can't. Kara actually suffered more when krypton exploded. Kal was just a baby and didn't really know what was going on. He is more like a person that finds out they were adopted after they are like 30. Kara is more like a teen that grew up with her family, then they die and she is given a new family, but on a different planet.

So she would be a perfect teacher for Kal. She know more about krypton and he knows more about the powers he grew up with his whole life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"