Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - Part 49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alien and Aliens are 2 different movies. The original is a sci-fi/thriller/horror movie and the sequel is a sci-fi/action.

Cameron's a cinematic genius and he's got the oscars and the box office records to back it up. His naysayers can go **** themselves. :funny:

...ask the tea lady at pinewood what she thinks of him....

It's no secret that Cameron is a colossal dick, and I say that as someone who's enjoyed most of his films. He's like Kubrick. Just because you create cinematic masterpieces doesn't mean you get to treat people like garbage.

I've never seen any of the Terminator movies.

giphy.gif

Alien and Aliens are both masterpieces for different reasons. Cameron has made a lot of very good movies IMO. Regardless of what you think about him personally. Heck, AVATAR is a very flawed movie but still fun as hell to watch.

Mr. Jim Cameron has yet to make a bad movie.

2GvEjNc.jpg

I'm not a Cameron fan but I respect the man's work. Regardless of how I feel about the films themselves, his achievements are no small feats, and he clearly knows how to make films that resonate with massive audiences.

Alright, take away my geek card: I've never seen any of the Terminator movies. Same with True Lies.

So you call him overrated...Yet have not seen his two best films. Hmmm...

Sucks that you didn't care for Aliens. It is a classic.

Cameron's a cinematic genius and he's got the oscars and the box office records to back it up. His naysayers can go **** themselves. :funny:

Co-signed. Also I don't need the man to be "really nice", I'm not having dinner with him, I care the most about wheter his movies are good. Zack Snyder is "really nice" and the result of his work is BvS. Sometimes ***** are great artists and nice people are not. Sometimes it's the other way around. Cameron happens to be a dick who is also a great filmmaker.

For me, if someone is an A1 ********, it has an affect on whether I will watch their work or listen to their music or like their art etc.

I try to not know much about the personal lives of people behind movies, I don't want my personal views of them to contaminate my thoughts on movies or TV shows they work on.

I try to not know much about the personal lives of people behind movies, I don't want my personal views of them to contaminate my thoughts on movies or TV shows they work on.
I’m the same ways usually, I try to separate there personal work from their art as much as I can. Unless it really bad, such as Harvey Weinstein or Kevin Spacey, then it becomes an issue of “I refuse to support this person in further endeavors”.

Alright, take away my geek card: I've never seen any of the Terminator movies. Same with True Lies.

Aliens was a huge disappointment for me and it's actually what made me not particularly care for James Cameron. I saw the first Alien within the past year and it's now easily in my top 10 favorite movies of all time, and I was thrilled to hear that the second one was also regarded as an unassailable classic.

I could hardly finish it. Such a steep drop in quality from the first. Avatar and Titanic I thought were generally okay movies, but Aliens is easily one of the most disappointing movies I've ever seen.

:funny:

I’d recommend Cameron’s Terminator films and True Lies. I’d say all three are better than Aliens, though I also like that film. The Abyss is also pretty great.

What annoys me about Cameron is that he gets on his high horse and talks **** on Wonder Woman for not being feminist enough (because ya know, no one knows female characters better than an old white guy), yet he’s not above shilling for a cinematic turd like Terminator Genisys.

It's no secret that Cameron is a colossal dick, and I say that as someone who's enjoyed most of his films. He's like Kubrick. Just because you create cinematic masterpieces doesn't mean you get to treat people like garbage.

Yeah, that’s how I feel. He’s made some of my favorite films and I respect him for that. But he’s also a total jerk and so I wouldn’t mind seeing him taken down a peg when it comes to the all time box office.

Co-signed. Also I don't need the man to be "really nice", I'm not having dinner with him, I care the most about wheter his movies are good. Zack Snyder is "really nice" and the result of his work is BvS. Sometimes ***** are great artists and nice people are not. Sometimes it's the other way around. Cameron happens to be a dick who is also a great filmmaker.

Yup. TBH, I can't really say I care all too much if a director happens to be a jerk. There are much worse types of people in hollywood.

I mean...I don’t think anyone should be a jerk. There’s having a vision and wanted it executed properly and being an *******. And no one should be an *******.

Every director has their approach, but the director's job is not to be your friend. Yes, some may see that as the way to get what they need (like Taika Waititi seems to be), but others are like Stanley Kubrick and will have you do a take 80 times his way before he tells you they got it, or are like Alfred Hitchcock who was TERRIBLE to his cast. As long as they're not being abusive, then being a jerk is whatever to me. Cameron makes good movies (mostly...Avatar is meh and that seems to be all he wants to do now), but him being a jerk has no bearing on his art to me.

In my time directing my own shorts and such, I am normally nice and collaborative. But, I have had to put the jerk face on before (I don't like to, but sometimes...you have to). So, the people who have experienced that from me probably like me less, LOL!

I only boycott people's work if they're criminals or I think they should be in jail because they are somehow morally reprehensible. But a-holes? I deal with those types everyday, and I assume many of them are still good at their jobs. I wouldn't want to be their friend, but if I'm not interested in them in a personal capacity and am there for their work, then the work is what I care about. I go to a restaurant, I don't care how the people there get along with each other or what kind of personality clashes are happening behind the scenes. I care about how good the food/service is. They do their jobs well, I'll go back.

I only boycott people's work if they're criminals or I think they should be in jail because they are somehow morally reprehensible. But a-holes? I deal with those types everyday, and I assume many of them are still good at their jobs. I wouldn't want to be their friend, but if I'm not interested in them in a personal capacity and am there for their work, then the work is what I care about. I go to a restaurant, I don't care how the people there get along with each other or what kind of personality clashes are happening behind the scenes. I care about how good the food/service is. They do their jobs well, I'll go back.

Pretty much the same for me. Someone like Roman Polanski, yes I don't support him for this very reason. But I have had jerks as bosses before. We all have. Often times people who get that high in any type of industry have that type of personality (some it may come over time with jadedness). The number of people in film that we love and support who are jerks is probably a very high number. If you wanted to boycott all jerks, you might as well not watch a movie, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"